Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on November 30, 2009
Many of you may not be able to identify the lost of quality that L.B. Evans has thrust upon the market in their effort to maximize their profits by sucking the quality from what were about the best made highest quality slippers on the market.

My last pair were in pretty much original condition except for the insoles which had finally worn through in the heel area after 22 years of service.

I have had their replacements now for just shy of a month and they're falling apart. The "deerskin" on the welting in the area where the top of the slipper flex's is so thin that it has split apart and is de-laminating from whatever the welting is made from. It's also de-laminating in areas that don't appear to be flex points. It's as if they didn't use any adhesive when putting the pieces together.

The new soles seem to be of a much softer material and are already as worn as my old pair from walking on the concrete walk and driveway to get the paper and the new pair is at least a full size larger than what is marked in the slipper..

I heard once that there is nothing that man won't cheapen and sell for less. I guess this is most true here since my old slippers didn't cost much more than these new ones over twenty years ago.

My philosophy has always been to buy the best when you can since you won't have to replace it often. This certainly is not the case here anymore.

If you want a quality made pair of slippers, there are not the ones you're looking for!
44 comments14 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 11, 2007
The Deerking slippers are wonderful to look at, and they are very well made. I was really impressed with that part. Also, it was nice leather that you know will become butter-soft. Unfortunately, I needed a wide shoe (a 9 triple E) and it wasn't even close to being wide enough, so I had to return it. So, all-in-all it looks like a great slipper, but if you are a wide foot person, it may not work.
on April 1, 2009
I received a pair of these LB Evans slippers for Christmas 2008. I was given this brand because similar slippers by Roundtree and Yorke were no longer available. I had owned 3 pairs of Roundtree and Yorke slippers over many years and really liked them. They were very comfortable and lasted 3-4 years before showing significant wear. I am not rough on slippers: I never wear them outdoors, only 1-2 hours per evening mostly on floors with carpet. Within one month, the LB Evans slippers were falling apart. The leather piping around the uppers had cracked, split, and pealed away around much of the perimeter. Another less than desirable feature was that the LB Evans slippers are extremely large for their cited size. In all other footwear, I always take a 9-1/2 to 10. Just to be safe, I ordered a 9-1/2 of the LB Evans slippers. They are so large that they are rather uncomfortable to wear without thick socks. One further problem is that the surface of the sole on which the foot rests feels like it is made out of vinyl so that your foot sticks unpleasantly to it like sitting on an old vinyl car seat on a hot day. Personally, I would never buy this brand again.
on January 17, 2009
The cording around the top of the slipper started peeling off after about 3 weeks of wearing them. Disappointed in the quality of the slipper. Doesn't seem like it is real leather on the sides or on the cording. I would suggest a slipper without any cording, they are very comfy but the cording peeling off looks terrible!
on June 29, 2010
I have had these a very short period of time and only used them in the house and they are cracking and generally falling apart. Do not recommend them at any price.
on January 21, 2015
My dad has been wearing this style of slipper for at least 60 years, but I think it is time to give up. Ordered two different sizes because I was not sure which size my dad needed. The 9.5 and 10 that were delivered were exactly the same size. Returned both since they were too big. Ordered wide, but these were extremely wide in the heel and hard to keep on. This is the only brand I have still been able to find in this style of slipper with a leather lining. As other reviewers have commented, they are not the same quality you could get in this style slipper years ago. Sizing seems pretty random and edging is no longer leather. As I returned these right away due to fit, I am not sure how long they would last, but I would expect that the vinyl edging will start to crack and break fairly quickly compared to the old style that was all leather. Found a different style of leather lined slipper with a rubber sole for a slightly higher price at LLBean so I will be trying that next.
follow up: much happier with leather lined slipper from LL bean. Different style but quality is much better than this, glad I returned these!
on December 21, 2011
I've bought several pairs of these slippers in the last three years. They are extremely comfortable, well made, and look good, and I wear them all the time when I'm at home. My only negative comment is that they do get dirty easily and they're hard to clean. That's why I've bought several pairs. I still use the old ones, leaving a pair near the front door and a pair near the back door to make a dash to the mailbox or to grab some firewood. The latest pair I use only indoors and am trying to be careful not to spill anything on them (I cook a lot and an accidental spill will marr the deerskin. Yes I'm a messy cook.). Anyway, to sum it up, best slippers money can buy.
on November 25, 2012
My second pair is finally wearing out, after about 15 years! Worn year round, to take the dog out, get the mail, take out the garbage, mess around in the garage, and even to wear wnen working in the garage. Worn winter,in Minnesota, and summer, and just about every day. I put them on when I get up in the morning until I put on my shoes for work and change back into them when I get home at night.
They are not, nor have they ever been, cheap but quality costs. I've had $20 slippers that were trashed in less then two years of the abuse I give them, so these are cheap by comparison.
on February 3, 2016
These slippers are very warm, well constructed and last a long time. I buy them every couple of years - the new ones he uses for inside and the old ones he uses to go outside or into his shop. They are comfortable for a slipper but they are not a shoe so they don't have good arch support. We have bought lots of different slippers over the years and these are the only ones that he compares all slippers to and nothing comes close. While they can be expensive for a slipper they usually last a good 5 years or more.
on September 23, 2015
These are very nice and comfortable slippers. I can slide my feet in easily, which isn't a given for my foot! Ordered 13EEE instead of 12EEE and found them to be perfect fit, so recommend ordering on large size. Leather is soft, supple, yet has enough body to not collapse, which makes it easy to slip on. Inside is fully leather lined. Looks like they'll last a long time. Note, contrasting piping is synthetic. Highly recommended!