L8000 Disposal slow draining, why? We installed the Waste King L8000 1HP disposal and it has drained water fairly slow from the beginning. We had an old Kenmore and never had that situation unless the disposal had food inside it. It seems that just a little bit of food makes this one drain slow. Anyone else have that? What could we do to alleviate this?
asked by A. Gehlke on December 12, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
I had problems with slow draining with the old disposal I replaced with the L8000. Everything worked fine for about 18 months when the problem reoccurred. We had a plumber clear the drain. About a year later it happened again. This time after clearing the drain the plumber said I have a flat spot in the drain line in the horizontal run of the line that connects the kitchen drain with the house's main sewer line. It allowed organic gunk to collect and build up. He sold me a gallon of some stuff called BioRooter which is described as an all-natural, environmentally safe, biological drain maintainer. I guess it is similar to a septic tank rejuvenator. Every four weeks I mix 1/4 cup of this stuff with four cups of warm water and slowly pour it down the kitchen sink that the disposal is NOT connected to late on Saturday night and then put stoppers in both sinks to prevent more water from going down the drain until the Sunday morning when my wife opens the drains. We have been doing this for several months now and have had no problems. One gallon is 128 ounces and 1/4 cup is two ounces so one gallon is 62 applications, a little over five years worth. Where do you get this stuff? I don't know. It is distributed by Western Drain Supply. Check Amazon and the Internet. The plumber was from Roto-Rooter so try calling them if you cannot find it on Amazon or the Internet. The ice cube solution listed here by Michael Scott sounds interesting. It would be worth a try as it would be cheaper.
BradleyK answered on January 15, 2013

A
vote
maybe because this unit is much larger and sits lower than your old model??? You may need to lower the drain so "gravity" can work its magic. This is my guess of your problem.
EricFTL answered on January 7, 2013

A
vote
We've had this disposal installed for more than a year, have been having problems with slow drain recently. After checking the trap and drain line, finding it fully open, I removed the rubber insert in the sink. I found it almost completely plugged from the back with gunk. After cleaning and reinserting, it was back to draining normally.
William C Becker answered on December 12, 2013

A
votes
My plumber says you should always run water a minute or two after shutting off, this clears the line of any gunk
rn answered on March 18, 2014

A
votes
When my Insinkerator gets sluggish, I dump all of the ice cubes (about a gallon of them) from my icemaker into the sink, turn on the disposer, and then add just a tiny bit of water to kind keep it slushy. After much grinding and gnashing, the ice cube slush always clears any food clogs. I don't use the icemaker much, so the cubes are usually stale anyway. Two birds with one stone.
Michael J. Scott answered on October 11, 2012

A
votes
The problem is that it's always been this way from day one. As if the drain "pipe" is too narrow (maybe it is?). The disposal is quiet and works well except for the slow draining of liquid. Annoying!
A. Gehlke answered on October 12, 2012

A
votes
I had this problem with the smaller 1/3 hp model after being installed for less than a month. My plumber got disgusted with it after taking my drain apart and finding nothing in it. He made his parts place take it back and give me an Insinkarator. I have had no problems since. My plumber said he will never offer his customers the option of a Waste King again.
Robert C. Koopman answered on October 11, 2012

A
votes
My disposal keeps stopping up the drain line that also handles the AC condensation. My living room floor then floods from the AC drain.
Jacob answered on October 11, 2012
‹ Previous   1   Next ›