Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

LEATHER cover? *sigh*

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 130 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2007 12:14:59 PM PST
Grayovac says:
You know, there are many (myself included) who might seriously consider the Kindle because of its positive effect on the environment (fewer trees used, less waste, etc.). But then I learn that a leather cover is included with the purchase of the device. While there are people who consider including a leather cover a benefit, I'm not one of them. :(

For now my interest in buying the Kindle has ended (at least until the material changes or is no longer included).

There are some excellent plant-based materials that are equally durable and look enough like leather to satisfy people who care about such things.

I know many people don't mind purchasing leather items. That's their decision, and I respect it. But don't make a leather item a mandatory accessory on an electronic device!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:16:18 PM PST
God...really? Your going to refuse to buy a product simply because its covered in leather? Your a sad, sad man.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:19:02 PM PST
It is simple common sense to see they are automatically dumping the vegan market when they do that. But then by not allowing easy use of pdfs they are dumping most of the market already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:19:32 PM PST
M. Burke says:
I haven't looked into it, but often in mass-marketed items, leather = pleather

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:30:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2007 12:31:46 PM PST
Grayovac says:
Amazon's own listing for an extra cover (which is described as "identical to the one that came with your Kindle") states: "Stitched black leather cover with gray suede interior".

I'd like to think it was pseudo-leather, but that description doesn't inspire much hope.

Here's the link:
Amazon 1st Generation Kindle Replacement Book Cover

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:35:38 PM PST
dreamer7777 says:
If everyone on the planet stopped eating beef and stopped using leather, (stopped raising cattle on ranches) cows would become extinct.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:37:15 PM PST
Um, so? (Actually, wild and feral cows wouldn't).

I don't think we need to debate veganism to get the point that vegans wont buy the product with leather parts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 12:55:36 PM PST
Engine Ear says:
Leather is a renewable bio-degradeable resource, which becomes buried landfill if not used when an animal raised for food is slaughtered. Would you really rather have a cover made from a non-renewable fossil feedstock such as petroleum (that is what most synthetic fibers, furs, and "pleather" are made from)?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 1:01:53 PM PST
Some people would, yes. People have different priorities--some don't like to kill sentient animals. Can't we just accept that rather than having the same tired debates over and over and over and over. perhaps we could do God versus evolution hwile we are at it? Women should be stay at home mothers? vaccines cause autism?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 1:16:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2007 1:17:07 PM PST
Personally, I applaud your values. I do not share them. But I applaud them. I get so frustrated when a "self-professed-vegan" will tell me how horrible it is to eat an animal while they are standing there in their leather shoes, belts, and jackets.

I honestly had no idea that someone would not buy this device because it had a leather cover, but again, I admire your conviction. I think that i could list several other reasons that I won't be buying the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 1:25:50 PM PST
kysmet says:
If you really hate cows,save them all,do not buy leather,cows do not make good
pets,they are really uncomfortable to ride,and expensive to feed,If they are not
used for food and bi-products(leather). they would all be destroyed.
You decide

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2007 1:39:55 PM PST
Grayovac says:
To Kenneth E. Martin - The Leather Parsons Chair on your wishlist kind of convinced me you don't share my values :) , but I appreciate the moral support. I'm not perfect in my day-to-day decisions (who is?), but I strive to be as consistent as I can. I'd rather convince by example than by preaching.

To Engine Ear - There are many plant-based (non petroleum based) alternatives to leather. I have both belts and shoes made from plants (including the dyes) and they look quite sharp (if I do say so myself!).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 8:41:13 PM PST
justkelly says:
Kenneth, no "self-professed-vegan" would wear leather. Vegan isn't just about not eating meat, but avoiding all animal products.

It is a shame that Amazon made this choice - they are leaving out not only vegans, but vegetarians who choose not to buy leather products. I wouldn't call myself vegan (I was for awhile) but I'm still vegetarian. I buy eggs that are certified humane and buy soy milk instead of regular milk. I avoid animal by-products when I can, but don't sweat it when I can't. I definitely draw the line at eating meat (yes, fish count).

Anyway, my point is this: there are a range of vegetarian lifestyles out there, and Amazon is leaving out more than one of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 8:54:30 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 8:55:41 PM PST
fireferi says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 6:35:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 6:44:20 AM PST
Cathy W says:
I eat a near-vegan diet, and still have my leather shoes. I think it's best to avoid leather, and I try to do so as much as reasonable (for me anyway). Do I refuse leather? Not always. Do I refuse that tiny strip of leather on that otherwise acceptable cotton-canvas purse? No. Do I refuse to buy a leather couch, or a leather jacket? Yes, those are easy to avoid. I also try, when purchasing leather products, to only buy ones that will last a very, very long time. I've had my current pair of birkenstock clogs for about 5 years now, and expect I'll have them another 10+. So just because someone attempts to be *more* ethical, doesn't necessarily make them a hypocrite.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 6:39:00 AM PST
Cathy W says:
Ummmm... you are really short sited. So if all the cows on the planet died off (except the ones in petting zoos and the like) then that would be a set number of cows that would die or be killed. After that, it would stop. If we keep eating them, and raising them for meat and leather, then we CONTINUE to kill them ad nauseum. Forever. So, if you ask the average vegan, "Which is better, letting all the current cows die off, and then stop killing them, or continue to raise and kill them forever" which do YOU think they would choose?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 6:40:22 AM PST
Cathy W says:
There are LOTS of biodegradable non-leather resources to use in place of leather. For example, I have had purses made from cotton canvas, and it lasted quite nicely, and looks great, too. Oh, and it's easily washable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 6:46:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2007 6:47:41 AM PST
Cathy W says:
Hi Gray,
I'm a vegetarian myself, and prefer to avoid leather, but did go ahead and get the Kindle. I do wish they had not included the cover in the box, and then offered a free cover with the purchase of the Kindle, and then given some sort of choice of covers, including a non-leather one. And honestly, if a waterproof cover comes out so I can read the kindle in my hot tub, without having to resort to wasting a ziploc, I'd much prefer to have that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 9:10:40 AM PST
Perhaps Customer Service could help you and send one out to you sans that offensive cover.

For years I've been reluctant to buy electronic goods because I don't want to contribute to plastic and cyber waste. My TV is 12 years old and this will be my first wireless device; and it does come with info about recycling it, etc.

Don't give up, Grayovac, this looks like a solvable rant!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 9:59:27 AM PST
I immediately said- oh, this would be SO GOOD for the environment....it would be worth it for the trees it saves- and I read a LOT....but I also really LOVE LEATHER....my reasoning.... it is a by-product of the meat industry ANYWAY.....and if it was good enough for the Native Americans it is GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME......I want one- WITH A LEATHER COVER- YIPPEE.... I happen to hate synthethic fabrics!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 10:28:31 AM PST
Cathy W says:
Naomi, for what it's worth - as a vegetarian, I really don't care what you do or don't do (in other words, I'm not being particularly judgmental) and as I said before, I do buy leather occasionally in small quantities (and I too like it, though I try and avoid it). But... I'm in favor of people making informed decisions, and leather isn't just a by-product of the meat industry. I believe that about 40% of the profit from raising the animal is from leather use/consumption. As for synthetics, there are natural products that are very nice that could work, too. Not leather, but also not icky vinyl, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 10:55:41 AM PST
snowleopard says:
> I want one- WITH A LEATHER COVER- YIPPEE....
> I happen to hate synthethic fabrics!!!

I want the leather cover too, but Grayovac's right. It shouldn't be mandatory. Some people want it and some people don't. If they have a leather cover they're willing to include with the product, then they should be offering a choice of covers, with leather as one option and a more vegan-friendly alternative as another. Eventually, perhaps they could expand the selection to include stylistic variations as well, but at least a second option is needed quickly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 11:47:31 AM PST
James Means says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 11:50:09 AM PST
justkelly says:
And that info is from where?

I'm pretty sure it's leather. Amazon advertises it as "Stitched black leather cover with gray suede interior," already mentioned on this thread.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  130
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 2, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (8,008)