5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price
Published on September 16, 2011 by Devon

1.0 out of 5 stars multiple updates - Can't beat the price!
Published on February 4, 2012 by M. J. Keys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price, September 16, 2011
This review is from: LEDwholesalers 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller with 44-button Remote and Power Supply, 2034RGB+3315+3215 (Electronics)
I purchased this kit through Amazon from LEDWholesalers. It was better than I expected (in terms of quality of materials, brightness of LEDs, and ease of installation.) One thing of note, they sent me the waterproof version (which typically is a little more expensive) even though I ordered the standard version. The problem with the waterproof version is that the 3M double sided tape included does not adhere very well to the clear plastic covering. Because I did not need my lights to be waterproof, I cut off the plastic and installed the LED strips with the 3M tape adhered directly to the back side of the strip (instead of to the plastic covering.) I used drywall screws to secure the controller and power supply inside a cabinet, and had a beautiful finished project. One thing I was surprised with, is that the controller actually has a memory -meaning when you choose the color of light, or pattern that you want to display, if you cut the power to the unit (by unplugging the power supply, or in my case, by flipping the wall switch that I installed) -When power is restored to the unit, it resumes displaying the color or pattern that you had chosen prior to powering down. This is an awesome feature because once you have your display set up the way you want it, you don't have to reset it every time you kill the power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lights, 5 minute set up!, November 11, 2011
Phlosar "Kim" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This looks more complicated than it is. You get a reel of lights which has a white four prong plug on one end and some exposed wires on the other end. You plug the four prongs into a "female" end on the white box you get. You connect the white box to the transformer that plugs into the wall. Plug it in to an outlet, push buttons on the remote and you are done. If you are connecting more lights, then order a data repeater, here or on the company's website, and use a connector ($2) or preferable solder. Otherwise, just some electrical tape over the exposed wires. I cannot comment on longevity yet, as these just arrived. I don't know how many strings can be connected, but for other lights I have seen 36 feet (about 2 of these). The remote that I received was the larger one (the pics show large and small). The lights are super bright and can be dimmed. You can go with a steady colour or flashing or changing colours. I plan to put them around my sliding door in my family room to provide light for TV viewing. The price is great for these. If I can think of another use, I will get more -- maybe the garage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the price, minor quibbles, June 12, 2012
I ordered this item on the 7th (in the evening), received a note from Amazon on the 8th that it had shipped, and it arrived on the 9th!!! For free shipping, this is amazing - granted, it was shipped directly from the seller and they are nearby (SF Bay Area), but still ... way to go!

The kit (and it IS a kit, nothing more) is way more than I expected. I am using it as a halo light for my wall-mounted TV, and it works really well. Let's do a pros and cons list:

PROS:
1. Length - it is way longer than I need for my 40" TV and, quite, frankly, I don't know what to do with the balance. The strip can be cut every ~2 inches, but I do not want to risk that. No doubt I will find a way to accommodate the extra length.
2. Brightness - these tiny LEDs are much brighter than I anticipated, and they can be dimmed.
3. Variety - there are a number of options for controlling the lights. There are 20 presets, but some are barely different than their neighbor.
4. Remote - This kit contains the 44-key remote, but see cons below. Besides the presets, there are two options for flash (3- and 7-color), and two options for fade in/out (also 3- and 7-color). There are "quick" and "slow" buttons which do what you think, an "auto" function which appears to be random selection, "flash", 6 buttons for dim/bright gradation of the R, G and B, two buttons for dim/bright in general, and 6 buttons labeled "DIY" for do-it-yourself (again, see cons), and a pause/start toggle.
5. Setup - There are NO instructions, but the fundamental setup is pretty easy to figure out.
6. Power supply - Good quality transformer, akin to those used for laptops.
7. Extensions - Apparently one can buy extra lengths, and there are four bare wires at the end of the strip for this purpose. I don't know how many can be added.
8. Because it's a kit, parts can be bought separately. The Amazon website is not very friendly in terms of showing what is and is not available, and the supplier's website is not very helpful either. But still, it's good to know.

CONS
1. The lack of instructions is a problem when it comes to some of the functions. For example, I have NO idea how the DIY buttons can be programmed.
2. There are some comments here complaining about the remote producing the wrong colors. Two observations:
- The connector between the controller and the remote appears to be plug-in-able (!) two ways. I don't dare try the wrong way, but if you look closely you will see that the connectors have arrows which guide you to plugging it in correctly. I suspect that the complainers here have done it incorrectly.
- The remote appears to issue multiple IR commands, and the IR sensor is not very receptive. Sometimes I get a result that I was not expecting, and this may be the problem.
3. The range of the remote is limited, and controlling it from my couch is a hit-and-miss affair. If you are close to the sensor, you are OK. (The sensor is attached to its own cable, which gives you the flexibility to position it appropriately.)
4. Interference - Other equipment in my setup reacts to some of the remote's commands. Now, admittedly, I have a vast array of "stuff", but this is an issue. The problematic items are my TV, my security system DVR, my HDMI switch, and my heater. The last two have the same type of remote, and I think that these remotes use a stock set of standard commands, so I guess this is not a surprise. (The remote is one of those cheap credit-card sized jobs that use a button battery, except that this 44-key remote is longer than the typical credit-card size. But the basic construction is the same.)
5. The light strip is somewhat flimsy, but if you are careful and gentle when installing, this should not be an issue. After all, once installed, you are not going to be messing with it!
6. There is no manual, a huge oversight, imho, because there is a lot of stuff that needs explanation.

One comment about the remote's distance and interference problems... I have solved this with a workaround. I taped one end of an optical audio cable (TOSLink) to the IR sensor, and placed the other end of the cable near the couch, out of the line of fire of all my other electronic equipment. This works a treat - after, these cables are nothing more than a piece of fiber-optic cable, designed to transmit light pulses! And PLEASE do not pay an arm and a leg for one of these cables. Some time ago, I bought a bunch of them for $1.00 apiece. And, right now, Ben's Outlet (online store - go Google it) has them for about $1.99. When you think about it, paying through the nose for a strip of cable makes no sense. Btw, the same goes for HDMI cables - NEVER pay more than a couple of dollars for one, regardless of what you see on the web. Rick Broida at CNet recently wrote an article about this - again, Google it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have e-mailed the distributor (LEDWholesalers.com) with some questions and comments, and have not yet received a response. Hopefully they will, and if they have any good info, I will update this review.

All in all, though, I love this kit, and will certainly consider buying more related stuff! Just remember that it is a KIT, so don't expect everything to work right out of the box. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to setup, but not satisfied with the remote, May 30, 2012
I am using these lights as a bias lights for my monitor. I have posted pictures of my setup here.

The setup is fairly simple, and I did not need cut the strip for my purpose. The adhesive is quite good, so far I did not have a problem with it coming off, and I've had it for a couple of months now.

The only problem I have is with the remote. Its not very good quality and it based on IR, so line of sight is required for it to work. There is no manual way to tune the lights, at least not that I could figure out.

The lights themselves are bight enough for my purpose, and I like the effects you get, although I rarely use it for that.

I am removing 1 star for the remote. Everything else is very satisfactory.

1.0 out of 5 stars multiple updates - Can't beat the price!, February 4, 2012
See below for UPDATES 1,2 and 3 -- Bright (not "OMG, I need my sunglasses bright, but bright), colorful and everything works. I can't see a whole kit like this being sold for less anytime soon. I'll be using these to light 3 small adjacent niche/shelving areas. There were some accessories for this product I couldn't find on Amazon such as strip to strip extensions. I plan to cut this 16.4 ft strip into three pieces and connect them with extensions to bridge two 4 inch gaps where I don't want lights. I've read the tape backing isn't top notch for long term installation. Still, I'm going to try affixing these strips with nothing but a little double sided tape. If that doesn't work, I've read elsewhere that screw-in clips can be purchased for a permanent solution. I'll update in a month or two after installation is complete. If you're curious where I found the extensions or need the clips, do a search for elemental led. Their prices there are outrageous but they have everything you might need for LED lighting. In short, get the core of your LED lighting on Amazon, but you might have to look elsewhere for the small accessory stuff.

UPDATE 1: I just finished installing these lights. I ended up using the adhesive tape on the back of the LED strips. I thought it was very sticky stuff and I expect it to hold this, very light LED lighting, for a long time. I'll upload some photos soon.

UPDATE 2: I went to turn it on this morning and nothing. After about a week in the finished application -- working better than I hoped, the lights would not come on. I'm not sure which component has failed. I just emailed LEDWholesalers and Amazon. I'll let you know how they do. Sometimes, you get a clunker, sometimes things just break. I don't really mind that, so long as people stand behind what they sell. But for now, I'll be lowering my rating to 3 stars.

UPDATE 3: Amazon provided for free shipping to return the kit. With these lights installed as they are, it would be a major inconvenience for me to return the whole kit. If I understood correctly from the phone call to Amazon, I could also swap out the failed component (once I figure out what has died)when I purchase a new one. A few emails exchanged with Zitrades has led me to believe it is the transformer that has died. Zitrades is who to contact if you have a problem, not LEDWholesalers. Sticking with 3 stars until I get this up and running. But when working, I view this item as a 5 star value.

UPDATE 4: The transformer was what failed, but why? I ordered a new transformer. This time a 6amp model. Worked fine for about a week and a half and then died. I've got to think there is a problem with the LED lights now. Not sure what I'm going to do next. But I'm lowering my rating to 1 star. Guess I'll take the whole thing down, return it to amazon and order a different (more expensive) product.

UPDATE 5: I've replaced the LED controller and the LEDs. That means I've swapped out every inch of this LED kit. I should have paid a bit more when I started.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of 5 star and 1 star reviews, March 1, 2012
Out of the box my review would have been negative. I understand some peoples frustration and seeing the need to solder the wires to make them work. My kit came with the two female ends with no adapter to connect them. Very frustrating. Their customer service was very responsive and had an adapter to the house in a couple of days. The adaptors and female connectors are not the most robust for moving around and are subject to bending/breaking off of the pins. I am installing the lights as a backlight for a very nice piece of painted glass so I had to move them around during assembly. Two of the adaptor pins broke off making some colors unavailable. Emailed customer service and they had new adapters to me in 3 days.

Bottom line, the lights are outstanding. Many colors and very adjustable. Love the tones they give the glass and I can think of a lot of applications. Ceiling valances, under cabinets, book cases, back lighting, under stair railing, etc. The lights would look great in a lot of places and I will be getting more.

I have read a lot of the reviews and this is my take:
Product: 5 stars (love remote controlled lights)
Durability: 2 stars (be gentle and you will get the results you are after) I am sure this will improve as technology gets better.
Adhesive Backing: 5 star (3M, know what you are applying it to. Is the surface free of dust and smoke residue) My strip installed nicely.
5 stars for CS as they sent me 4 more adaptors.

The back lit painted glass is the focal point of the room now.
The best night light on earth once sunsets.
Too cool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good light but has it's flaws, January 14, 2012
IF YOUR RED GREEN AND BLUE LED'S ALL STAY ON AT THE SAME TIME: on my kit the wires at the end of the strip came all tied together from the factory, can't figure out why, but I thought the item was a defect until I separated out the conductors. Now each color comes on by itself and the strip behaves as it should.

You can get this item a few dollars cheaper off ebay, but it'll take a lot longer to get it so it's a tradeoff, just FYI.

Here is a good visual of what I will explain next:
[...]

Some important things to note when buying LED strips!! very important!! know what you are buying
LENGTH: obvious, some are longer some are shorter, get what you need, doesn't make sense to have to cut it later.
LED DENSITY: 30led's/meter is standard (150 total for 5m strip), the alternative is 48 or even 60led's/meter. THIS ITEM IS 30!
LED TYPE: 3528 or 5050 > the 5050 are about 3 times as bright, you can do a search online. THIS ITEM IS 5050
COLOR: some are single color, some are RGB (red green blue) be aware of which you purchase. obviously this item is RGB
INCLUDED REMOTE: there is a 24 button version and a 48 button version. When I bought this item I got the 48.
INCLUDED POWER SUPPLY: the power supply isn't always included, and when it is its only strong enough for the length rope you are buying so take caution if you intend to daisy chain.

Thereby, the ultimate item is 60led/m (300 total in 5m) of 5050LED's in a length of 5m (longest standard length). Surprisingly, this combination is very difficult to find. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for shadow lighting or even walkway lighting!, January 22, 2011
These light strips are fantastic! The kit will come with everything needed to get up and running; the power supply, light strip, controller, and remote. The LED strip ribbon can be cut after every three LEDs, you'll just have to solder the four leads on (or purchase the $2.00 lead) in order to connect a power supply/controller to them again. The strip contains an adhesive backing for mounting to virtually any dry surface. On one end you have the plug wired in for you to connect to the controller, on the other side there is already four leads attached for you if you would like to purchase a driver to hard wire into the strip.

These little LEDs are very bright! I can't imagine what the super bright LEDs available would be like! The remote control includes 16 brightness levels, a strobe effect albeit very slow, and smooth transition from color to color, and fade transition from color to color, and a flash mode. There are 15 colors to choose from from the RGB spectrum. The remote is small and light weight (about the size of a credit card but about 1/4" thick) and runs off of a common CR2025 battery. The range of the remote is about 15-20 feet.

The only problem that arose while testing the kit is with the remote. The color spectrum on it isn't the same as what the LED strip projects. For instance, when you press the Green button the LEDs light up Blue or press the Blue button and the LEDs project Green. The Red spectrum controls the Blues, the Blue spectrum controls the Reds, but at least the Green spectrum still controls the Greens :)

Overall I'm very excited and pleased with these lights. I'm using the first kit for shadow lighting for under my bar I'm building. I intend on purchasing more kits for walkway lighting in our Home Theater and also for accent lighting in our kitchen, office, and bathrooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Attractive Lighting - Lacks Instructions, January 5, 2013
JB1961 (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
I read a lot of reviews of this light strip before purchasing. There are a lot of extremes in the reviews. Some love it, and some hate it. Having purchased the unit, installed it, and replaced a couple parts, I have come to conclude that a lot of the bad reviews could be eliminated if the manufacturer or seller included some decent instructions with the product.

One end of the strip plugs into the controller unit that comes with the kit. The other end has four wires that come off of it. Each of these four wires has been stripped at the tip, leaving exposed copper. I thought nothing of this when I mounted the strip, but noted that some of the colors were not lighting up. The controller or power supply was buzzing some, and after a short period of time, perhaps 15-30 minutes, the entire strip went dead. When I tested it with a multimeter I found that the power supply had blown out.

I contacted the seller, and they mentioned that if the four wires at the end of the strip touch each other, or some other metal surface, this can damage the system. This was mentioned nowhere in the packaging. The only instructions were a small little instruction sheet on how to program the controller to display various colors.

I ordered another power supply, and I cut off the four wires and wrapped them with electrical tape to insure that they were not interfering with one another. When the new power supply arrived, I hooked it up, and everything worked fine. The four exposed wires were evidently the source of my problem, causing certain colors to not work, and killing the power supply.

Now that the light strip is working, I love it. I have been running it most evenings inside my motorhome, and it adds a great deal of ambience to the overall environment. The lights are very attractive. None of the LEDs have failed. I am very pleased with the product now.

I do recommend the LED strip connectors sold on Amazon by Hitlights. I had to make two cuts in my 16' LED string, and these connectors worked very well, alleviating the need to do any soldering. Just make sure you don't get any of the sections of LED strip turned around, or they will not work. The strip has markings on it for G, R, B, +12v. As long as you keep these parallel to one another on each section you should be good to go.

Update 03-31-2013

I have now had these lights installed in my RV for about 6 months. I run them every evening for 4-6 hours. I have not had a single LED light fail. I am pleased that this seems to be a durable product. I do unplug the lights, rather than merely switching them off at the controller, when they are not in use. I had noticed that there was some voltage leaking to the lights even when they were switched off as there would be glimmers of light from the strip as long as it was still plugged in.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time is not the charm, February 28, 2012
I purchased these lights to go along a window in my living room. The first set I bought seemed to work well for about 2 weeks and then 3 sets of light started to burn out. I would loose a 3 set of green or a 3 set of blue. The end result was area of the strip where the lighting was totally off and looked a mess.

I returned the first set back to Amazon (This process is very easy and Amazon was so easy to work with).

I got the second set in last night and installed them again only to come out this morning and see that another section of 3 lights had lost its lights. Not sure what I will do since this is the 2nd defective product I have and I suppose the problem could be from installing it wrong but I have yet to get instructions with the product so I doubt it.