5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price
Published on September 16, 2011 by Devon

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool LEDs.
These lights were purchased for my son for our basement and they worked great right out of the box. Right around 30 days (length of warranty) some of the lights started misfiring (wrong colors showing up). Still looks very cool to a teenager but wonder about integrity of the product long range.
Published on July 4, 2012 by Schmuddy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for a great price, September 16, 2011
This review is from: LEDwholesalers 16.4ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller with 44-button Remote and Power Supply, 2034RGB+3315+3215 (Electronics)
I purchased this kit through Amazon from LEDWholesalers. It was better than I expected (in terms of quality of materials, brightness of LEDs, and ease of installation.) One thing of note, they sent me the waterproof version (which typically is a little more expensive) even though I ordered the standard version. The problem with the waterproof version is that the 3M double sided tape included does not adhere very well to the clear plastic covering. Because I did not need my lights to be waterproof, I cut off the plastic and installed the LED strips with the 3M tape adhered directly to the back side of the strip (instead of to the plastic covering.) I used drywall screws to secure the controller and power supply inside a cabinet, and had a beautiful finished project. One thing I was surprised with, is that the controller actually has a memory -meaning when you choose the color of light, or pattern that you want to display, if you cut the power to the unit (by unplugging the power supply, or in my case, by flipping the wall switch that I installed) -When power is restored to the unit, it resumes displaying the color or pattern that you had chosen prior to powering down. This is an awesome feature because once you have your display set up the way you want it, you don't have to reset it every time you kill the power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lights, 5 minute set up!, November 11, 2011
Phlosar "Kim" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This looks more complicated than it is. You get a reel of lights which has a white four prong plug on one end and some exposed wires on the other end. You plug the four prongs into a "female" end on the white box you get. You connect the white box to the transformer that plugs into the wall. Plug it in to an outlet, push buttons on the remote and you are done. If you are connecting more lights, then order a data repeater, here or on the company's website, and use a connector ($2) or preferable solder. Otherwise, just some electrical tape over the exposed wires. I cannot comment on longevity yet, as these just arrived. I don't know how many strings can be connected, but for other lights I have seen 36 feet (about 2 of these). The remote that I received was the larger one (the pics show large and small). The lights are super bright and can be dimmed. You can go with a steady colour or flashing or changing colours. I plan to put them around my sliding door in my family room to provide light for TV viewing. The price is great for these. If I can think of another use, I will get more -- maybe the garage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the price, minor quibbles, June 12, 2012
I ordered this item on the 7th (in the evening), received a note from Amazon on the 8th that it had shipped, and it arrived on the 9th!!! For free shipping, this is amazing - granted, it was shipped directly from the seller and they are nearby (SF Bay Area), but still ... way to go!

The kit (and it IS a kit, nothing more) is way more than I expected. I am using it as a halo light for my wall-mounted TV, and it works really well. Let's do a pros and cons list:

PROS:
1. Length - it is way longer than I need for my 40" TV and, quite, frankly, I don't know what to do with the balance. The strip can be cut every ~2 inches, but I do not want to risk that. No doubt I will find a way to accommodate the extra length.
2. Brightness - these tiny LEDs are much brighter than I anticipated, and they can be dimmed.
3. Variety - there are a number of options for controlling the lights. There are 20 presets, but some are barely different than their neighbor.
4. Remote - This kit contains the 44-key remote, but see cons below. Besides the presets, there are two options for flash (3- and 7-color), and two options for fade in/out (also 3- and 7-color). There are "quick" and "slow" buttons which do what you think, an "auto" function which appears to be random selection, "flash", 6 buttons for dim/bright gradation of the R, G and B, two buttons for dim/bright in general, and 6 buttons labeled "DIY" for do-it-yourself (again, see cons), and a pause/start toggle.
5. Setup - There are NO instructions, but the fundamental setup is pretty easy to figure out.
6. Power supply - Good quality transformer, akin to those used for laptops.
7. Extensions - Apparently one can buy extra lengths, and there are four bare wires at the end of the strip for this purpose. I don't know how many can be added.
8. Because it's a kit, parts can be bought separately. The Amazon website is not very friendly in terms of showing what is and is not available, and the supplier's website is not very helpful either. But still, it's good to know.

CONS
1. The lack of instructions is a problem when it comes to some of the functions. For example, I have NO idea how the DIY buttons can be programmed.
2. There are some comments here complaining about the remote producing the wrong colors. Two observations:
- The connector between the controller and the remote appears to be plug-in-able (!) two ways. I don't dare try the wrong way, but if you look closely you will see that the connectors have arrows which guide you to plugging it in correctly. I suspect that the complainers here have done it incorrectly.
- The remote appears to issue multiple IR commands, and the IR sensor is not very receptive. Sometimes I get a result that I was not expecting, and this may be the problem.
3. The range of the remote is limited, and controlling it from my couch is a hit-and-miss affair. If you are close to the sensor, you are OK. (The sensor is attached to its own cable, which gives you the flexibility to position it appropriately.)
4. Interference - Other equipment in my setup reacts to some of the remote's commands. Now, admittedly, I have a vast array of "stuff", but this is an issue. The problematic items are my TV, my security system DVR, my HDMI switch, and my heater. The last two have the same type of remote, and I think that these remotes use a stock set of standard commands, so I guess this is not a surprise. (The remote is one of those cheap credit-card sized jobs that use a button battery, except that this 44-key remote is longer than the typical credit-card size. But the basic construction is the same.)
5. The light strip is somewhat flimsy, but if you are careful and gentle when installing, this should not be an issue. After all, once installed, you are not going to be messing with it!
6. There is no manual, a huge oversight, imho, because there is a lot of stuff that needs explanation.

One comment about the remote's distance and interference problems... I have solved this with a workaround. I taped one end of an optical audio cable (TOSLink) to the IR sensor, and placed the other end of the cable near the couch, out of the line of fire of all my other electronic equipment. This works a treat - after, these cables are nothing more than a piece of fiber-optic cable, designed to transmit light pulses! And PLEASE do not pay an arm and a leg for one of these cables. Some time ago, I bought a bunch of them for $1.00 apiece. And, right now, Ben's Outlet (online store - go Google it) has them for about $1.99. When you think about it, paying through the nose for a strip of cable makes no sense. Btw, the same goes for HDMI cables - NEVER pay more than a couple of dollars for one, regardless of what you see on the web. Rick Broida at CNet recently wrote an article about this - again, Google it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

I have e-mailed the distributor (LEDWholesalers.com) with some questions and comments, and have not yet received a response. Hopefully they will, and if they have any good info, I will update this review.

All in all, though, I love this kit, and will certainly consider buying more related stuff! Just remember that it is a KIT, so don't expect everything to work right out of the box. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for shadow lighting or even walkway lighting!, January 22, 2011
These light strips are fantastic! The kit will come with everything needed to get up and running; the power supply, light strip, controller, and remote. The LED strip ribbon can be cut after every three LEDs, you'll just have to solder the four leads on (or purchase the $2.00 lead) in order to connect a power supply/controller to them again. The strip contains an adhesive backing for mounting to virtually any dry surface. On one end you have the plug wired in for you to connect to the controller, on the other side there is already four leads attached for you if you would like to purchase a driver to hard wire into the strip.

These little LEDs are very bright! I can't imagine what the super bright LEDs available would be like! The remote control includes 16 brightness levels, a strobe effect albeit very slow, and smooth transition from color to color, and fade transition from color to color, and a flash mode. There are 15 colors to choose from from the RGB spectrum. The remote is small and light weight (about the size of a credit card but about 1/4" thick) and runs off of a common CR2025 battery. The range of the remote is about 15-20 feet.

The only problem that arose while testing the kit is with the remote. The color spectrum on it isn't the same as what the LED strip projects. For instance, when you press the Green button the LEDs light up Blue or press the Blue button and the LEDs project Green. The Red spectrum controls the Blues, the Blue spectrum controls the Reds, but at least the Green spectrum still controls the Greens :)

Overall I'm very excited and pleased with these lights. I'm using the first kit for shadow lighting for under my bar I'm building. I intend on purchasing more kits for walkway lighting in our Home Theater and also for accent lighting in our kitchen, office, and bathrooms.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool LEDs., July 4, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Seller, February 14, 2012
I ordered two strips. The second strip came with a bad transformer so I tried contacting LEDWholesellers directly to see if I could get a replacement. They claimed that AMAZON had sold me a COUNTERFEIT light set. Even though the light set was packaged and sealed and they both seemed the same. The service person I spoke to insisted AMAZON deceived me and sold me a COUNTERFEIT set. Well I was shocked, SO BEWARE of this dealer. Fortunately Amazon will refund my purchase price and the first strip that did work is cool. But it's always unsettling when the seller tells you Amazon sold you a COUNTERFEIT set.

1.0 out of 5 stars multiple updates - Can't beat the price!, February 4, 2012
See below for UPDATES 1,2 and 3 -- Bright (not "OMG, I need my sunglasses bright, but bright), colorful and everything works. I can't see a whole kit like this being sold for less anytime soon. I'll be using these to light 3 small adjacent niche/shelving areas. There were some accessories for this product I couldn't find on Amazon such as strip to strip extensions. I plan to cut this 16.4 ft strip into three pieces and connect them with extensions to bridge two 4 inch gaps where I don't want lights. I've read the tape backing isn't top notch for long term installation. Still, I'm going to try affixing these strips with nothing but a little double sided tape. If that doesn't work, I've read elsewhere that screw-in clips can be purchased for a permanent solution. I'll update in a month or two after installation is complete. If you're curious where I found the extensions or need the clips, do a search for elemental led. Their prices there are outrageous but they have everything you might need for LED lighting. In short, get the core of your LED lighting on Amazon, but you might have to look elsewhere for the small accessory stuff.

UPDATE 1: I just finished installing these lights. I ended up using the adhesive tape on the back of the LED strips. I thought it was very sticky stuff and I expect it to hold this, very light LED lighting, for a long time. I'll upload some photos soon.

UPDATE 2: I went to turn it on this morning and nothing. After about a week in the finished application -- working better than I hoped, the lights would not come on. I'm not sure which component has failed. I just emailed LEDWholesalers and Amazon. I'll let you know how they do. Sometimes, you get a clunker, sometimes things just break. I don't really mind that, so long as people stand behind what they sell. But for now, I'll be lowering my rating to 3 stars.

UPDATE 3: Amazon provided for free shipping to return the kit. With these lights installed as they are, it would be a major inconvenience for me to return the whole kit. If I understood correctly from the phone call to Amazon, I could also swap out the failed component (once I figure out what has died)when I purchase a new one. A few emails exchanged with Zitrades has led me to believe it is the transformer that has died. Zitrades is who to contact if you have a problem, not LEDWholesalers. Sticking with 3 stars until I get this up and running. But when working, I view this item as a 5 star value.

UPDATE 4: The transformer was what failed, but why? I ordered a new transformer. This time a 6amp model. Worked fine for about a week and a half and then died. I've got to think there is a problem with the LED lights now. Not sure what I'm going to do next. But I'm lowering my rating to 1 star. Guess I'll take the whole thing down, return it to amazon and order a different (more expensive) product.

UPDATE 5: I've replaced the LED controller and the LEDs. That means I've swapped out every inch of this LED kit. I should have paid a bit more when I started.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly functioning remote, June 24, 2012
Pros: lights and power source works and are easy to hook up.
Cons: remote blows! mislabeled, only 3 of the buttons do something, no instructions!

1.0 out of 5 stars 2nd time is not the charm, February 28, 2012
I purchased these lights to go along a window in my living room. The first set I bought seemed to work well for about 2 weeks and then 3 sets of light started to burn out. I would loose a 3 set of green or a 3 set of blue. The end result was area of the strip where the lighting was totally off and looked a mess.

I returned the first set back to Amazon (This process is very easy and Amazon was so easy to work with).

I got the second set in last night and installed them again only to come out this morning and see that another section of 3 lights had lost its lights. Not sure what I will do since this is the 2nd defective product I have and I suppose the problem could be from installing it wrong but I have yet to get instructions with the product so I doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything worked out of the box, September 29, 2011
Great product, it was EXACTLY what I was expecting and everything works fine. No soldering or anything else, just plug it all in and it is very bright, especially the white. My only little qualm is that you can't dim the flash/strobe/fade/smooth; just make them transition colors faster or slower, oh well.

Rate and Discover Movies