1,154 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UV Flashlight
Published on November 20, 2009 by J. Grant

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy construction
This light can be opened from the bottom or the top to insert batteries.
DO NOT OPEN THIS LIGHT FROM THE TOP!
It is constructed in such a way that the wires spin around and snap apart as you unscrew the head.
The seller should include instructions or the makers should seal the top so it cannot be opened.
I had no problem inserting the three AA...
Published on December 30, 2009 by whO

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UV Flashlight, November 20, 2009
This review is from: LEDwholesalers 395 nM 51 UV Ultraviolet LED flashlight Blacklight 3 AA, 7202UV395 (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this light to locate pet stains in my house. Standard alkaline batteries installed without any of the problems noted in other reviews. The light itself seems built pretty solid and is very bright, capable of illuminating stains even in moderately lit rooms during daylight. Just make sure you're prepared for the disgusting things this baby can reveal. You can't un-see what this device will show you. Now onward to shopping for a good stain and odor remover. The horror.....the horror!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well and very bright., August 30, 2010
I'm very happy with this purchase.

I bought this so that I could see if there was any stains left in the carpet due to my dogs urinating on it. I have a steam-vac carpet cleaner and wanted to make sure it was doing its job.

There are a bunch of different UV / black-light flashlights out there, but this one seemed to have the most LED's for the price. And it takes AA batteries instead of AAA's. So it should be a lot brighter, and the batteries should last longer than other flashlights out there.

My results: The flashlight itself is very solid. It's made of metal. It is very bright and does exactly what I want. The beam is focused well. It showed me stains in the carpeting and the couch that I didn't know were there. It's so bright that I didn't have to even make the room completely dark. In fact, you can use this with your house's lights on, although it won't work as well.

So it does show me how well my steam-vac carpet cleaner works. I expected that. What surprised me was that it also shows me how well my regular vacuum cleaner works. I see little dots of bright stuff all over my carpet. That's the dirt and lint that the vacuum cleaner missed. Time to get a better vacuum cleaner.

The only negative thing I'll say about it is that once you get this thing, you're going to go from room to room in your place looking at everything. And you're going to find everything! It will surprise you. In the end, you may become a lot less happy with your carpeting and furniture, to the point of wanting to go out and buy new ones. This inexpensive little flashlight "toy" may end up costing you thousands of dollars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy construction, December 30, 2009
This light can be opened from the bottom or the top to insert batteries.
DO NOT OPEN THIS LIGHT FROM THE TOP!
I had no problem inserting the three AA batteries as some other did but my light never came on.
Broken wires in the flash light head.
The casing is solid enough but the inner design is flawed.
Light like this are usually reliable.
I would recommend anyone who buys this light to remember NOT TO OPEN IT FROM THE HEAD like most flash lights, batteries can only be inserted from the bottom.
Shipping was fine no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, December 7, 2010
By the time I arrive in Mexico (I live there) and actually hunt wandering scorpions I'm afraid the time limit for opinions will have elapsed.

1. The batteryless flashlight was heavier than I expected. It is made of milled aluminum similar to a MagLite.
2. I took note of the warnings on this board to open the end opposite the bulb to insert batteries, and so I did.
3. Inside I found a removable white plastic "cartridge" that slipped out in order to load three AA batteries into.
4. Both the orientation of the cartridge to the lamp and the polarity of batteries to cartridge were clearly marked.
5. I used Duracell AA batteries and the cartridge slipped back into the lamp with no rubbing.
6. The threads on the cap are similar to my MagLite so a coating of petroleum jelly would make the lamp moisture resistant.
7. The switch is a press on and off with rubber cap just like a MagLite
8. The body of the map is knurled just like a MagLite and also black in color, probably hard anodized.
9. Qualifying the "intensity" of the beam is subjective so I'll make a few general comments below:

Most of the energy from a UV source is invisible. The best way to see what the lamp is capable of is to illuminate an object that fluoresces. The darker the space the more UV ontrast there will be and the brighter the objects can glow. For my 64 year old eyes the visible light emmitted from this lamp would not be enough to illuminate strange paths, rocky terrain, etc. in order to walk over. I would need a flashlight.

There seems to be plenty of UV light generated to do what I am going to ask this lamp to do. I don't need to see every grain of sand or twig around a scorpion, I want the aracnid to glow like a firefly, so I can light it up with a conventional lamp and then then take care of the unwanted visitor. Part of the misconception of UV illumination is that folks seem to feel that the light has to flood the target in a bright blue light. It takes a lot of energy to do that. UV light rays can scatter like crazy leaving the target area dark but a scorpion will glow like a Christmas tree bulb. Indeed it is this contrast that aids in finding them.

Now the trick is to see just how durable and long-lived this UV lamp is going to be.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning: Old ones were great, new ones are poor..., November 16, 2011
I ordered one of these through Amazon from LEDwholesalers on January 5, 2011 for exposing pet urine spots, and it worked (and continues to work) great. Based on the strong performance of the original, I recently ordered an additional one (also through Amazon/LEDwholesalers) on November 6, 2011, and it is terrible. I don't know if they switched to cheaper LEDs, or what - but the old & new models are obviously COMPLETELY different when using them side-by-side. The old one works fine, with the light energy centered strongly in the UV spectrum. The new one has an unacceptable amount of the light energy in the visible spectrum, essentially a regular flashlight with a purple tinge - ineffectual for exposing pet urine & other stains. I'm keeping the old one, and sadly, returning the new one - to search for some other brand that performs well. By the way, if you get ANY of these sorts of UV lights, please be sure to buy a pair of yellow protective glasses - they protect your eyes AND make stains more visible. The ones from LEDwholesalers (UV Protecting Adjustable Safety Glasses Yellow Tint,7821) work very well, and are reasonably priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works exactly as I had hoped., January 22, 2010
E. Zenisek (Southwest USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this light in order to see if my cats have been doing any business around the house I wasn't aware of. This isn't a toy or a gimmick light, it has a very sturdy and well made housing very similar to a Mag Light, and it's just the right size to fit in your hand. I had no issues getting the batteries to fit whatsoever, and as soon as I turned the light on I could immediately spot anything out of place on my carpet. Luckily I didn't find much, but there were a couple of areas I missed. After cleaning them, they no longer glow, so I know I got everything cleaned up. By the way, brace yourself if you plan on shining this thing around your bathroom.

It's pretty amazing actually... I can even see chip crumbs and some small bits of lint and such that my vacuum missed with this thing. No way could I pick them out with the light on, but turn the lights out, fire this thing up, and crumbs stick out like a sore thumb.

It's also great for charging glow in the dark objects. Flashing it on my watch for a half second makes the hands glow bright enough I could almost navigate by them.

All in all I'm very satisfied with this light. It's the right size, quite bright, and illuminates a large area. As for the UV capabilities, what can I say? It works just like a blacklight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great UV Light, April 9, 2009
Excellent light for the price. Design allows very good illumination while being small enough to use with ease. It is very effective in tracking rodent presence and pet stains, also lights up scorpions without getting to close.
I would highly recommend this light.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Waste, May 3, 2011
Bought this to find where one of my jittery male cats has been spraying. It found absolutly nothing, shined at the litter box, nothing, shined at spots where i know he has sprayed, nothing, shined it at our toilet, nothing. (The toilet may be due to my superior cleaning abilities but I doubt it.) This was a complete waste of time, money and effort.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work!, April 28, 2011
modiggs "modiggs" (stationed in germany) - See all my reviews
I bought this to find all the urine stains my kitten has been making and it doesn't even show the spots where I have actually seen her squat and pee. Not worth buying if its to look for pet stains.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, September 17, 2009
This is a simple blacklight (UV) flashlight which I use for hunting scorpions to show and educate other people. It's very bright for only three batteries and I have been using it for several weeks without incident. Its small enough to fit in a cargo pocket, but a bit too big for just a normal jean pocket. It does not have a way to adjust intensity or beam width, just a simple on or off switch. but, I haven't found the need for anything more, anyway. It's very sturdy. I've been able to find several scorpions with my friends using this flashlight.

$17.99