5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Lego Maniac
This is the annual Lego Advent calendar. Just like previous years, there are 24 little compartments with a different Lego toy for each day leading up to Christmas. All total there are 232 pieces. Each toy is simple to assemble; there is an assembled picture on the back of each door.

This year they did a little more Christmas than previous years. Santa,...
Published on September 8, 2011 by Daniel G. Lebryk

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing to say the least!
Published on December 13, 2011 by Jgz

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Lego Maniac, September 8, 2011
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)

This year they did a little more Christmas than previous years. Santa, Christmas tree, and somebody carrying presents are the theme. A car, snowmobile and a fisherman make up the remainder. They also included a bigger piece this time - four days are put together to make a Police station. It's a nice touch, the building. The odd part is a Police station for Christmas?

All 24 days come together to make a single scene. After Christmas, the toys make a nice addition to anybody's City collection.

The box is the same size as previous years. The cardboard is not very rugged; it's pretty standard Lego box issue. I've posted some pictures of the box and tray. It's possible some of the doors will get torn when opening them. I imagine if somebody was really careful, they could put the toys back and save it for next year. But then they'd miss out on a year of playing with the toys and the new 2012 version.

Every Lego Maniac will love this calendar. Even though my boys are much older now, we've enjoyed these sets for the past bunch of years. Heck, Dad gets a big kick out of the daily opening and building.

There is another Advent calendar this year. If it doesn't sell out and become outrageously expensive, the Star Wars set is rather cool: LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar (7958)
The MSRP for the City Advent calendar is $35.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Holiday Tradition, October 26, 2011
Laura (Chicagoland, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
I have three boys and the Lego Advent Calendar has been a tradition for a few years. The boys get out of bed each morning excited to open the little door and create their new little lego figure. Highly recommend!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing to say the least!, December 13, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
What a terrible job Lego has done this year with this advent. (insert sarcastic tone) Such a Cheery kick off to the Christmas season. Robbers, Police with handcuffs and Jail? In addition to this not following any Christmas theme at all, 4 out of 24 days are to the jail? Really Lego? It seems to me this company was getting rid of old stock that didn't sell! My seven year old is bored and disappointed as well. Such a shame as last years version was amazing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not About Christmas, December 12, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
My son came to me this morning and said "Mom, this Advent calendar is really disappointing." Pretty disappointing words for a Mom to hear about a special gift! "It doesn't really have Christmas-y stuff." It's the 12th, and so far by my son's count, only 1/4 of the toys have been about Christmas. The rest have included a police station and a minifig of "a criminal."

2.0 out of 5 stars sad...., December 7, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This is what I sent to Lego:
To whom it may concern. I recently purchased a Lego Advent Calender. I have never written to a company to complain about a product, i certainly never thought I would write one to Lego. But in the spirit of the season I feel that the Lego 7553, missed the point. I can appreciate the fact that Lego has done an exceptional job at bringing realism to Lego City. It is bothersome though, that during a time of cheer, the first 6 days dealt with villains, police, and jails. Our children's world has enough negativity and sadness, it would have been nice if the advent calender exemplified the spirit of Christmas, unfortunately it does not. I was excited to give these to my children, I have never been so disappointed in a product and the image it portrayed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the kids during Christmas break, September 4, 2011
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
My family has been buying Lego Advent Calendar for at least 10 years. Recent editions include mini figures and a few accessories or tools/weapons as a mini-set for one day, it is still fun. My kids especially love the clever modeling using just a few bricks. This is their calendar to remind them that they have to be especially good for Christmas is only days away. The build is easy and kids as young as 4 can build with very little help.

Lego in the last few years had released 2 types of advent calendars every year, one is the city and another of a different theme (castle-2008, pirates-2009, kingdoms-2010). This is the first year of Star Wars Advent Calendar. These sets can be found at Lego store for retail price. Once Christmas is over and Lego store is sold out of them, they are hard to find and usually sold by individuals for much more.

This City set has 232 pieces and *not* made in China, like the Star Wars Advent Calendar. This is a good gift because it is not constrained to December or 2011. With my first child, we opened our advent calendar in the middle of summer when he was 3 years old, when he was learning to count and learning delayed gratification. We counted the pieces of Lego every day and the number of "windows" we had opened. And he remembered well that "one window a day" meant exactly that and stopped whining to open all the windows after the first 3 days.

Overall, a good set and highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lego Land Advent Calendar, January 3, 2012
Stacy (Salt Lake City) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
I loved the idea of a LEGO Advent Calendar for my 6 year old, and it was a big hit. A great way to count down the month - without giving him candy everyday. My problem is that I didn't pay enough attention to what the kit contained. It is actually a police station kit, which comes with cops and robbers. I just noticed the Christmas tree on the front and the little Santa and was pretty surprised to find out what the theme really was. My son kept asking me why robbers for Christmas - I totally agree, why robbers for Christmas?

I'll buy a LEGO Advent Calendar again, but will pay better attention to the theme. I'm still a little surprised that LEGO thought this was a good idea for kids, especially at Christmas time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be Labeled Better, December 20, 2011
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
I thought this would be a great addition to my daughter's chocolate advent calendar. Was I ever wrong! Labeled correctly I wouldn't be so disappointed. Christmas Countdown Calendar would be fine. Advent Calendar is Not fine.

We have enjoyed that there are items that get assembled over multiple days. We have also enjoyed having new lego pieces added to our collection each day. We just wish the item title more accurately reflected what was in the box.

Pros
easy to build items (my 4 year old has been able to do most of it on her own)

fun, unique pieces

new legos daily

Cons
No tie in to advent

Crime theme

3.0 out of 5 stars Our annual tradition, February 10, 2013
Amazon Customer (Mariposa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
Even though our family is a year behind in our Lego Advent calendar selection, I feel I need to agree with the other reviewers of the Lego Advent calendars: the quantity of toys included is definitely decreasing each year and the price continues to increase. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has commented that the models themselves seem less creative and interesting than in years past. (Wow, I'm sounding like a bitter old guy at this point: "Back in my day things were better!") Hopefully, Lego hears enough negative comments about this series, that they might put a little more effort into future installments.

3.0 out of 5 stars totally lame!, December 17, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553 (Toy)
I bought this for my 4 year old son, while my 6 year old got the Lego Star Wars one. This one is not nearly as much fun as the Star Wars one. There aren't nearly as many toys in the City one, for example, it takes 4 days to build a simple car and 4 or 5 days to build the police station/jail. That is nearly half of all the days just to build two items!!! I WOULD NOT recommend this!!!!!

LEGO 2011 City Advent Calendar 7553