Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

This set arrived on the market January 1st, 2014. MSRP is 39.99. It is often wise to cross check with Lego on price and availability.

What a great set! Every year, Lego produces two or three Creator houses, most of which are pretty good. This one is great. It has a lot of detail and many ingenious design touches. I highly recommend this set for its playability and the value of its parts (for making other models). There are three designs in this set (build one at a time) and all of them are variations on the mountain hut theme. They are all mini-figure size, so it fits well with other Lego themes (e.g., City, Friends). If you are looking for a less expensive Creator set, try the treehouse (#31010).

The main model for this kit features a small house with a mottled roof and chimney (with smoke coming out the top). The hut swings open for easy access and has a modest amount of interior detailing (cabinet/dresser, fireplace topped with an animal skull, table, firewood). The detailing on the hut is fantastic and the way that it opens (with a split window at the top) is a cool trick. The hut is situated next to a small alpine-like mountain with a waterfall and stream. The mountain has a hollow inside with a red gem hanging down from the inside. There is a single mini-figure (with a helmet) along with an ATV, brick-built eagle, tree, and a small number of accessories (pick-axe, coffee mug).

The second and third models are slight variations. The second places a small log cabin (with bed and stove) at the top of a mountain and features a bridge over a waterfall and stream. This one is brilliant with a lot of wonderful detail to the stream and the tree. There is a little brick-built kayak which is okay, but not as good as the kayak from set #5766 (Log Cabin) which this set effectively replaces. The last model is again a mountain hut but with the rockwork built into the hut. This small hut is hinged and includes a fireplace stove and a table.

I am a big fan of the Creator sets. They use, primarily, general use bricks and they have directions for different models. This encourages rebuilding and it provides a great source of varied bricks, much better than the basic brick boxes that have too many large bricks (e.g. 2 x 4s). The Creator designs get better each year with more detail and more innovative building techniques. This set has nice red and brown sloped pieces, different grays, and lots of brown (which is more useful than one might initially think). I was disappointed to see the use of what Lego fans call LURPs (large ugly rock pieces) in the construction of the mountain. I would have preferred an entirely brick-built design. But LURPs can be handy.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2014
I have two little boys ages 1 and 3 busy with Lego Duplos and a 9 yr old into Star Wars Legos, but my 10 year old daughter has never been interested in Legos until we found the Creator line today. She picked out this mountain set 31025 and also the treehouse set 31010. We are both excited to have a fun mother/daughter project we can spend time doing together.

The Friends line of Lego doesn't appeal to her at all, but she does want to have a set that has instructions and isn't just open-ended play. This particular set reminds her of upstate NY. It has an ATV just like the one she rides. I am sure she will find other neat details as we begin building, especially since 1 of the 3 configurations allows the mountain house to swing open for a good look inside. I also like the glass-like bricks (precious jems or crystals in the mountain) which add variety to the set and are pretty, I think.
I hope Lego continues to make sets that have dynamic, interesting, and fun play value which appeal equally to both girls and boys.
77 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2014
Well I'm about 15 years too old for this set but it was a very fun and surprisingly challenging build!

As another review points out, the MSRP is $39.99 so don't pay more than that but it is definitely worth that. I also recently got B004478GGK and like this one a lot better. It's more complex and detailed which makes for a more satisfying build. I've been out of the LEGO game for a long time but apparently the cool new thing is to make sets that open in half to reveal the inside. I have mixed feelings about that design move but I like that this set incorporates little touches that allow it to snap together while open; a nice idea for display.

Overall a very solid set that any kid or kid at heart should enjoy!
on November 22, 2015
I am a grown man with a well-paying job, a comfortable life, and only some occasional intestinal issues. The point being is that I'm the last thought in the marketing room at LEGO Inc. Their market is teenagers, kids, etc., and maybe the occasional later-teen crafter before he graduates to AutoCAD, or just gets a degree in English and impresses nobody. Well, I'm the exception, so maybe my review doesn't matter, but this LEGO set is awesome. It is great value for the buy (time flew by when assembling as I was in a flurry of emotional and brain activity, but I imagine it was a longer than usual LEGO constructing experience -- I smoked maybe 3-4 cigarettes). Also you get three designs in one, which is actually triple value in my mathematical system, which I adopted from non-terrestrial beings while sky-surfing on a fiery Californian sunset into my lightning-green Corvette to be driven to the edge of the universe at light speed, propelled by a unicorn named Randolph? LEGO -- let your imagination run free and create utter chaos!
on March 15, 2014
This is a great set! All three build options focus on an outdoors cabin and scene. Although there is one minifigure, there is a LOT going on wiht this set! First, I'm a Lego lover. I couldn't pass up on this unique set because, unlike City or other Lego themes, this one is out doorsy. For those interested in bargains, there are 550 pieces in this set. On average a set this large would cost upwards of 50$ no matter where you look. For example, Lego Movie set "Super Cycle Chase" has 514 pieces and is 70$ (on Amazon). What I'm saying is, for the price you are getting a bargain amount of pieces which is excellent because this set allows your Lego building (or you if you are the Lego builder) to make three different things and experiment.

Each scene, or instruction, is easy to build. The instructions are easy to follow and each one has enough variation to feel like your creating a whole new scene. I particularly love the one featured on the box because there is a Bald Eagle, a mountain peak and a large cabin that opens up in the back (on hinges) to reveal the inside of a cozy, woodsy cabin. I'm not sure this set can compete with the thrill and excitement of a Batman, Star Wars or Lego Movie set but it is a unique, relaxed, fun, imaginitive, large set that will challenge any builder and expand any collection.
on June 17, 2015
Our first Lego buy was a Lego Classic set for our 2.5 yo. The Mountain Hut was our second. Our kid loved making and breaking and making new houses... She added her own imagination - extra water, more people, flowers from the Classic set, etc. She obviously needed our help in following the book. We would collect the pieces together and then point to where they should go. It was a great learning experience for her - following verbal and pictorial instruction, testing fine motor skills, spatial location - And the final thrill of "making something with her own hands". She is hooked onto the Lego wagon. It was a perfect buy! Would love to buy others in the series.
on May 21, 2014
This set takes a bit of time to put together. It look looks very nice, but there aren't enough pieces holding the base plates together, so the mountain part breaks up nearly every time it is transported from the shelf to the play area. Still, it is a very cool set, and we love it.
on January 8, 2015
The Lego Creator sets in general have become very popular in our household, and this one is no exception. After comparing a few of the "building" Lego Creator sets for the holidays, we went with this one.

The playability and durability of the set is superb. My son usually tears down a set after a day or two, but for some reason this one is surviving. He loves splitting it open to play inside, and has had several raids from his Knights lego minifigures recently. The 100$ castle he got was leveled in about a day, but the Mountain Hut survives!

The alternate versions you can build with this look really great as well and offer a great amount of flexibility in play style. I would highly recommend this set!
on July 1, 2015
It is simply the best price for one of the best sets available. I love the way the set is put together and can be rebuilt. I combined this with the barn from the Treehouse set and it makes a wonderful combination.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2015
I bought this for my 8 year old for Christmas, who is a very good follower of Lego construction. Much to my dismay, it only took him an hour and a half tops to get this all completed. We love the eagle, the waterfall and his favorite part, the 4 wheeler. I think the fireplace, the animal head hanging on the wall are super nice touches.

Our favorite part of these sets is the flexibility. For a kid that mostly wants to open, put together and then forget about them, this makes it more worth the price. Granted, the pieces are awesome for more innovative builders, but for me instructional enthusiast, these sets can't be beat.