LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Change
Price:$14.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 27, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
grandson loved it. he rented this several times and now he has his own and can play anytime. great times for him
on November 23, 2013
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
My son and I play this game together. He's a 4-year old who can't get enough of the Batman/Marvel universe, and this game is PERFECT for us.

For starters, the controls are simple enough to grasp and my little guy was up and running after a few short game sessions. Since we only play for 30 minutes at a time, it's nice that we can finish a level/stage and he feels accomplished when I say it's time to stop playing.

The graphics are great - bright, fun, and movie like. Since we also watch the accompanying movie - a lot - it's nice that the game looks like what he watches on TV and he gets to play out the movie on his own.

Like I mentioned before, the controls are easy to get a hang of and the camera never gets in your way. I remember playing through the first Batman game demo and if one of the characters went too far to one side of the screen, it would pull the other player off buildings, bridges...which was incredibly frustrating for my son. I'm glad the camera splits, and the developers did it effectively.

We haven't finished the single player campaign yet, but this game certainly has re-play value. If you're looking for a game to play with your kids, this game should be at the top of your list.

From my perspective, I'm a Call of Duty/Battlefield/Splinter Cell type gamer, the game is fun, fast-paced, and it keeps me interested in collecting gold bricks and unlocking characters. I might not have purchased this game if I didn't have a little guy, but I'm glad I did. I'm looking forward to playing through the campaign so we can play through the levels free-play style and can switch guys.
on November 27, 2012
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
I love Lego games. I own them all. This is my least favorite for several reasons.
There are only about 14 levels. Most of those levels are ridiculously long. If you save halfway through, you are likely to lose some of your mini kits.
There are so many things crammed onto the levels that it can get annoying. I hate having to keep going back to change Batman or Robin suits. I hate that I can't just pick a suit in freeplay mode. I can only use a suit when it's there and needed.
My game only had a couple glitches, but it just added to the frustration I already felt. Google helped me fix the biggest problem....you finally defeat the Joker robot, Lex and Joker are together, and Robin comes to Batman's rescue. It would freeze right there so that I couldn't finish the level. I just pressed the big green xbox button on the controller over and over and over so that the game could "catch up". It worked, but there are other solutions online. The other glitch was in Lego World. If I used the batmobile to go up the ramp to collect studs, the car would crash over and over and over forever. I had to start over, losing my progress.
You can walk or fly around a really cool Gotham City. It's pretty cool, but it takes forever to get everything and it gets monotonous. The worst were the flying controls. I would be about to land perfectly, and the controls would stop me, turn me around, and leave me quite a distance away from where I was about to land. It was so frustrating, but I like to finish things so I just kept at it.
It took me forever to figure out the map, but once I did, it was easy to navigate and find the things I needed.
I'm at close to 100% on this game, but it has taken me forever. I only get a few hours to play every few days and I've been at it for weeks. With the other games, when I was almost finished, I'd just go through finding the mini-kits, then save/finish level. It shaved so much time off, but this one won't save the mini-kits unless you play all the way through. At least I hope they'll save that way. I haven't found out for sure.
on October 31, 2012
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
I purchased this game for my kids. They seem to love it for a while.

But this open free roaming sandbox format makes it very hard for the kids to know where to go next. So after a few months, they stopped playing.

This happened with The 2nd Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Harry Potter series.

They loved the Original Lego Indiana Jones, they were able to move from one level to the next without problems. They also love the Lego Star Wars, But now days with the open game play, they never finish the game. They are more frustrated than enjoying it now.

If you have kids that are very young, maybe you will either have to commit to playing with them to help them or look for something else. I used to get the cheat codes to unlock features to make the game easier for the kids, but now there are less codes to unlock, you have to actually play to unlock somethings.

So I recommend downloading the DEMO and letting the kids try it and if they really into it, go get the full game.
on July 20, 2012
Platform for Display: Xbox 360
Having played and thoroughly enjoyed most of the Lego (Insert Movie Property Here) games with my son, and particularly the first Lego Batman game, I preordred this title for us as soon as it became available. Both of us were incredibly excited when it arrived and rushed through dinner so we could open it up and play. My son still maintains that level of excitment every time he asks if we can break it out again. For me, the shine has already worn off.

While very similar to its predecessor, there are some key differences that make Batman 2 a little less fun for grown ups (or at least for me) than it clearly is for a six-year-old boy:

1.) The gameplay is very repetitive and not in the way the last one was (or any lego game can be). Both have you fight through assorted, easy-to-beat generic thugs on your way to a boss battle, solving a few puzzles along the way. But in part 1 those boss battles often required a good deal of imagination and critical thinking to win. I actually had little difficulty convincing my engineer wife that the time my son and I spent playing part 1 was good for him. Here, it's mostly a question of how many times you can hit the big bad before he or she goes down and puzzles feel almost perfunctory. Great fun for a Power Rangers fan, less so for dad.

2.) While many of the fights in part 2 are bigger, longer and arguably more visually interesting in terms of effects, the diversity of settings for these big brick battles is seriously lacking compared to part 1. And it's hard to understand why. After all, you hit many of the same venues...the zoo, the bank...and some brand new ones like Wayne Tower. But whereas the zoo in part 1 felt distinctively different from the inside of the bank or from Mr. Freeze's factory, all of the levels in part 2 have largely the same look and feel going on. It feels like a design shortcut. like the fight complexity issue, not something that bothers my son, but sucks a bit of the fun out of it for me.

3.) The choice to use actual dialogue for this installment bothers me. Part of the charm of the previous game (and all other Lego games we've played) was the lack of dialogue and the way the games' animation more than made up for it. The very expressive gestures and odd combinations of muffled sounds made the games almost as much fun to watch as they were to play. By contrast, Batman 2 feels like watching snippets of a cartoon with some big-name voice actors (that sounds like Clancy Brown doing Luthor) and some terribly bad ones (Superman sounds generic and awful)reading often truly badly written dialogue. Even if the animators didn't skimp on body language as a result of having this crooked crutch, it feels like they did.

That all probably sounds pretty harsh and will make some wonder why I gave this game 3 stars, but there's also a lot of good going on here. The range of familiar characters you can unlock and play is great (some were clearly nods to die-hard fans)and their desgins and powers are very well handled. Also, the game world itself is vast, with lots of hidden goodies and opportunities for distraction, so its not one you're likely to complete in a single sitting.

So, if you're on the fence about getting this for a kid, go ahead and pay full price. It will be worth it for them. But if you want it for your own enjoyment and you are over 12, I'd hold off until the platinum hits version comes out and replay the first one in the meantime.
on September 10, 2012
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
Probably the weakest Lego series game to date. Wishing I rented this game rather than bought. Hoping the Lego Lord of the Rings game does not follow suit.

I'm a big fan of the Lego games, and having loved the original Lego Batman, I was truly excited about this game. But ultimately it fell short in many areas that I loved about the first game. It wasn't horrible, as I liked certain things about it, but overall, it just left me with a feeling of "ho-hum".

Pros:
- Selection of DC characters was nice. I loved playing as Superman and Green Lantern. Being invincible and the ability to fly, bonus.
- The story line was actually decent. Just wish there as more to it or it was longer.

Cons:
- One word, Tedious. All the extras, bricks, and characters you have to "find" are in large massive area, with everyone attacking you all the time. Maybe its just me, but I found this extremely annoying. I'd rather spend more time playing a story than wandering around doing the same tasks over and over.

- playability of flying characters changed from story mode to open City mode. I'm sure there was a reason to have the ability to fly faster in the vastness of Gotham City, however, it made it very frustrating to be standing right next to a building without being able to go straight up to the top.

- No Villain story mode. This was a big plus in the first game. I loved being able to play as the villains, in their own storyline. Not sure why this was ixnayed. Having to find the villains around town to buy (or any of the extra characters), I tended to not use the extra characters at all. What's the point of unlocking them then? I was all excited to find general Zod, yet once I found him, I'm like "So, NOW what?". Wouldn't it have been great to have a bonus level of pitting General Zod against Superman? Just sayin'

- No hidden areas to unlock. I miss finding and unlocking those mini-levels. You feel like you actually have something to strive for when collecting bricks. This game only had one area, which is in almost every Lego game (except Pirates of the Carib), the Lego city which in my opinion is also a yawner. There weren't even any extras areas to investigate in the Batcave.

- Extremely buggy. I can't tell you how many times I lost hours of work by the game freezing.

Anyway, I recommend to those out there that loved the first Batman game to rent this one. Not worth the bucks to buy in my opinion
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
The world is epic, the game play is great, the puzzling is almost as good as first batman.
This game is an experience to be had, vivid action play.

Other Must get kids games:
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - Xbox 360 (3-6 year old, 2 player, easy and fun)
Toy Story 3 The Video Game - Playstation 3 (3-9 year old+, 2 player, FPS for kids)
Rio - Xbox 360 (3-9 year old+, 4 player, 30+ Party games for kids)
Lego Batman (3-7 year old+, 2 player, puzzler, 3rd person shooter)
Disney Universe - Xbox 360 (4-10 year olds, 4 player, fast action w/mini games, pure arcade play)
Rayman Origins - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old, 4 player, arcade side scroll er)
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (4-9 year old+, 2 player, huge world, action-adventure, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (4-12 year olds, 2 player, nice variety of puzzle-gameplay, younger kids need older player)
LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars - Xbox 360 (5-9 year old+, 2 player, RTS game for kids)
Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (5-14 year olds, 2 player, younger players need to play with older player to navigate world, gameplay fan-tastic, low puzzles)
LEGO Lord of the Rings - Xbox 360 (6-14 year olds, 2 player, my son at 5 struggles but can play with heavy guidance from me, fun game, dad approved, low puzzles)
Minecraft - Xbox 360 (6-17 year olds, 2 player (can be large multiplayer) creative gameplay)
Rest of Lego games are all worth playing, if it wasn't for lego games XBOX would be a vast wasteland for kids under age 8. :)
on October 24, 2014
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
As with all the lego super-hero games it gives Batman and robin a collection of delightfully idiotic costumes:
Robin's acrobat suit - and how it's giant gerbil-ball function works - is particularly absurd;
but that as they say is the point.

The whole dynamic of "[destroy everything for points]" is simultaneously satisfying for the adult; and disconcerting when you consider that this game is marketed for kids as young as 10

I like to babble to myself as I'm destroying things; in my best gruff voice
"Leave me alone Robin." as I pummel parkbenches and unsuspecting street lamps until they explode in lego studs.

Driving the Batmobile around town is essentially like Grand Theft Auto; sans the cops
The batmobile has guns; and you can run over people; shot them and blow up cars.

For some reason if you are riding - say a lion - around as the flash... the lion goes superfast just as the Flash would.
Imaginative and quirky silliness abounds.
on December 30, 2014
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
My boys (aged 3, 4, and 5) absolutely love this game. Two are able to play at once and they switch out on their own with the third child whenever one of them dies. It's very cute to hear them talk the characters as they walk around. This was actually the first game my 4 and 5 year old ever beat. Our copy fell inside our staircase (explain how that happens!) and here I am to purchase this game again because they miss it so much, despite having the 1st and now he 3rd versions of this game. Great Lego game for young kids. No blood, just Lego pieces spill out from enemies you defeat. This game has taught them some large, interesting vocabulary words that are hilarious to hear them use correctly outside of the game. I'd highly recommend this game.
on June 23, 2012
Platform for Display: Xbox 360Verified Purchase
I'm not one to write reviews about anything. But if you buy this game right now, be warned. There are a ton of glitches, disc errors and and freeze ups that occur. I am at a point in the game where I can not progress any further because the game locks up every single time. It's frustrating to buy a game and not have it work. The Lego games are somewhat known to be glitchy at launch and this is no exception.

When I can play it, it's a great game, that is very fun. But until they issue a patch via Xbox Live, this game only gets a 1 star rating.

Edit (06/24/2012): I'm amending my review of the game. I've progressed past the point where I was stuck. The trick was uninstalling the game from my hard drive and playing directly off the disc. Still a major annoyance to have to deal with the constant glitches. If there is a patch update, I'll upgrade it to either a 4* or 5* game. The content is definitely high quality, it's just the technical issues that are bringing the score down.