5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Game - Wonderful Environments - Best Lego Game So Far!
Published 22 months ago by Jennifer

2.0 out of 5 stars Most "blah" LEGO game to date
Holy long review ahead!

Published 7 months ago by ceigna

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Game - Wonderful Environments - Best Lego Game So Far!, June 20, 2012
Jennifer "Seattle, WA" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I have purchased and played every Lego game that's been put out (except for the music one) and this is another wonderful release. The first thing I was struck by is how IMMENSE the game is! The maps are large and there are so many things to do in the hub area. I have been playing for around 6 hours and have only complete 13% of the game and it's all been fun. It's exactly like the other Lego games (except bigger, brighter and so many fun things to do and look at).

I am an adult gamer and these Lego games keep me entertained and happy. Personally, I wouldn't recommend this game for a kid to play alone. I have trouble figuring some things out (on other Lego games) and have had to use YouTube playthroughs to progress.

But as usual, there is co-op play and a child would have so much fun playing with an adult (and the adult would have fun as well).

I recommend this game as highly as a recommendation can be. You will not be disappointed in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Improved Formula Plus More. Probably The Best So Far., June 21, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Let's be honest, if you're not 12 and under, some of the Lego titles before this one, got old real soon, plus the constant "grunts" that replaced actual voices in previous Lego games, had started to wear thin on many of us...

But, in comes Batman 2: DC Super Heroes....the first thing I was shocked to see..or hear I should say....human voices!!! and good ones for tha matter. That's right, we now get to hear the joker, harley, batmant, etc the entire cast. And I'm glad to report that the voice work is outstanding. I'll be honest, the entire time I played the game, I had a smile on my face; Batman 2 managed to squeeze in beautiful voice work and just the right amount of humor that will lighten up any bad day you could possible have.

The mechanis of the game remain untouched, go through levels, fill the lego meter, find golden and kit parts, and unlock the map for free play. If you've played Lego games before, you will feel right at home.

The controls are responsive and on spot. I did not experience a single signal drop from control inputs. I played through with ease and I can't see anybody having any problems; the game is well balanced.

Great details,
I was quite surprised, in a very good way, that players are able to fly and drive vehicles, that's right, the batmobile is here! and others.... ;)~ Plus the entire cast of villans and heroes that most of us have known from years, are here, lego style. I won't spoil it, but trust me, "you will love it".

The story starts at an event taking place where the "man of the year" award is being given, but as always, I NEVER SPOIL the story of any game in any of my reviews, and this being a Lego game, is no different. I will let you enjoy every bit of the story as you go. But I will tell you this though...you will not be disappointed. You will enjoy a fun ride from Start to Credits. You will laugh, you will have a permanent smile on your face.

Graphics....it maybe hard to believe, but graphics have been polished. don't get me wrong, all the Lego tittles, at least for the new console generation, have always been good looking, but this latest installation, looks very good; water effects are detailed. At times I forgot that all and most structures and items are made of Legos. I won't say this is Gears of Wars or Uncharted material, but I can say this, it can hold its own against any other titles out there.

Some will argue this game is "for kids". I'm not a kid. I won't say my age, but let's just say I'm not 12, that's all I will say lol, but in all seriousness, this is game is for all ages, from young to old. This game has features that other titles lacked and has all the elements of a true gaming experience, where the player is given "what he expects", so you won't longer say, "I wish I could do or drive that".

A point worth mentioning, during "many" parts of the game, I kept thinking "this would've been so cool in Batman Arkham Asylum and City", and to be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't. Lego Batman 2, has in a lot of ways set a standard for what Batman games should be like and make players feel like. I know it's a Lego game and a sense of lightness has to be kept, but some of the aspects of this game, could very easily be or have been applied to other Batman games and that would've and could make them that much better.

In conclusion, if you are a fan of Lego games, this will be everything you've always liked, plus more. If you are a fan of Batman, you definitely have to get this game. Do not skip it. Trust me, you will regret not buying or at least renting this game. It is fun in every single aspect. True fans will appreciate the many perks and additions of this tittle. New comers will be hooked and possibly start looking into other Lego titles and Batman games. Regardless of who or what level gamer you are, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes IS FOR YOU. You will get your money's worth from the second you hear those Legos talk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, topped with frustration!, July 23, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you've played these lego games before, you know what to expect, this is pretty much the same, but I still find them very entertaining and enjoyable. The Gotham City hub area is very good, lots of areas to explore and great driving/boating controls. Now for the negatives, this game is VERY short. There are 15 levels, but they just seem to fly by very quickly, of course there is much more to explore and find, making the game well worth the purchase. With all the great aspects you would think I would give this game a 5 star, well, there is a negative aspect, flying! The flying controls in this game are so frustrating and horribly done that you will find yourself pulling out your hair! This wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have gold blocks that are earned through air races, which is frustrating at best. And whoever thought of the idea of putting gold blocks in the heads of the lego statues should be fired! None of the flying characters will fly into these spots, therefore, you have to either fly above them and hope to fall into the hole, or fly right at the statue and at the last minute stop flying and hope to land in the right area! I cannot express how frustrating this is, on many occasions I had to stop playing just to maintain my sanity! Travellers Tales almost had a slam dunk, but this aspect is unforgivable, silver medal try though!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego Batman 2 is great therapy for little boys with stitches!, June 29, 2012
Zombie Mom "wooly thinker" (Land of Frozen Tourists, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My whole family loves the Lego video games: we have some for the old PS2, my daughter's DSi, the Xbox, and the Xbox360. When we saw the ads for the new Batman game, we knew we had to buy it (my kids, especially my 4 year old son) play the original one almost daily. This game is great! Sadly, my son needed 5 stitches in his cheek last night, but this game not only kept him happy, but kept his hands busy so he wasn't rubbing his cheek! Perfect!

Pros:
The split screen feature allows 2 people to play without one person dragging the other behind him.
The world seems a lot bigger in this game, more places to run around and beat stuff up.
Lots of action!
The powers of the other superheros are tons of fun
The puzzles are more complex and even stumped the adults a few times

Cons:
As mentioned in other reviews, it does seem to freeze up pretty often. This isn't much of a problem for us as it gives me a chance to get the kids off of video games without them getting mad (we tell them that the Xbox got too hot and they can't play anymore).
Most of the boards are too complex for my son to play by himself (unlike the original game). Good for older players, bad for small children.
My kids fight over who gets to be Superman. (also not too much of a problem as it makes them share).
Split screen feature, while helpful, can be visually straining. Personally, it makes me dizzy.

Overall, it is a great game and I'm glad we bought it. Now I just have to wait for the LOTR Lego game....which will be mine, Precious! Mine!

UPDATE: Over 6 months later and we STILL use this excuse to get them to turn off the video game! Heck, all we have to do is ask, "How hot does it feel?" and after a quick touch they turn it off on their own. The game doesn't even have to freeze for it to work! The best part is this works for all video games, and not just this one. Oh, and they still play this game pretty regularly. They've unlocked all the villians and most of the superheros, so now they have races through the city to see who can make it back to the Batcave faster, they drive each other around in a school bus... it. is. awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Most "blah" LEGO game to date, September 20, 2013
ceigna (Edison, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Holy long review ahead!

My husband and I played this recently and we both think it's the worst of the LEGO titles we've played, and we both enjoyed the first Batman game. While the standard story mode is still here, it's very short. They also took out the ability to play story mode as the villains, which I thought made the first Batman game pretty fun. The remainder 80% of the game is spent wandering around Gotham City, which they made too large. If I wanted to wander in a vast environment, I'd play Assassin's Creed or similar "adult" games. And probably the biggest problem with wandering around Gotham City is that none of the landmarks seem very exciting or distinct. It's not like wandering around Middle Earth in the LEGO Lord of the Rings game where Hobbiton is very different from Moria. Most of Gotham City seem unexcitingly similar to me. I'll admit a large part of it is maybe because I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan while I'm just kind of ambivalent to the DC universe. But you know it's a problem when it seems like it takes a lot longer to get from one end of Gotham to another than from Hobbiton to Mordor.

To compound the problem of the too-vast world, the character movements in this free mode are insane (in a bad way). Holding down the analog, the character starts off at a normal pace. Then within two seconds, the character speeds up in this difficult-to-control run made worse by the bad camera angle. It's very difficult when there are fine movements involved in a jumping puzzle or you're trying to go in a straight line to collect coins. The flying in the levels themselves aren't terrible. Press a button to fly straight up and then move in the direction you want. Flying in the open world of Gotham makes me want to throw my controller out the window because they made it totally different from flying in the levels! There's now a target that you have to direct your character towards and you can't fly straight up or down. And any time you jump off a building to fly, the camera angle changes drastically so it takes time to orient yourself. It's made worse by the fact that the camera angle changes to zoom up on your character's ass when that happens. Like, how are we supposed to see anything? I probably wouldn't have been as annoyed if it wasn't so hard to get anywhere in Gotham City thanks to the insane controls.

The co-op split screen is also terrible. I know an option is to not make it "dynamic" so that it doesn't crazily split the screen up. But that in turn gives us two smaller screens that make it hard to see our environment in order to solve puzzles. So on a "dynamic" split screen, the camera angles go all crazy sometimes when one of our characters is flying and the other is trying to aim the Batarang at a target. I know the "dynamic" split screen has been around for several LEGO games already. But I think this is the game that is really negatively impacted by the split screen because aiming with a weapon while another character is flying is used so much. Also, I think the split screen in all the games take the fun out of playing co-op. I remember in the first Indiana Jones game, it was so much fun because the two characters interacted and we could see what each other was doing during co-op. With the "dynamic" split screen, it feels like we're playing two separate games at the same time.

In previous LEGO games, I've always wanted to and tried to go back and get as close to 100% completion as I can. This is the only game in which I have very little desire to do so. The huge Gotham City level is totally unappealing to me. One can play as villains by finding them and beating them up. That sounds interesting in theory. Except all it takes to beat up a villain is three punches. No, really! Just walk up to Man-Bat and punch him three times and he's yours to play with. It doesn't even take Superman's laser vision to kill him. It's the same with all the villains in the Gotham world. I thought at least they would be mini-levels, considering how short the actual levels were. But nope. Just three punches and you're done.

The only good thing about the game is that it left out the rage-inducing levitation puzzles from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

I guess in conclusion, I just think LEGO is trying to do too much in this game. Bring back the days when the LEGO characters spoke incoherently! Bring back the days of a single screen in co-op (or at least use the split screen sparingly)! Bring back the days of simple, fun puzzles because I don't want grappling hooks and electricity suits and green imagination bricks, etc.! Bring back the days where 95% of the environment can be destroyed for no good reason! I was really excited for the LEGO Marvel game, but I think now, I'm afraid I would dislike it as much as I dislike this game.

***Edited to add: as of 28% completion in this game, I'm officially giving up. Running around the open world of Gotham City was just nauseating! I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I've had my share of games where the camera zooms and moves fairly fast and never had I felt anything that affected me like this game. This is the only game in my 20+ years of gaming that made my feel like I was going to throw up. First time, I thought I was just tired. Second time was the last straw. I seriously hope future LEGO games aren't like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Co-Op Could Use Some Work, August 22, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This was the first game I let my 5 year old play. We had a lot of fun playing this together! He did have some trouble with some parts and I had to do it for him, but for the most part it was great for both of us! It was a lot of fun and challenging enough to 100% that it was worth it for me as an adult.

My biggest complaint about this game is (like the other recent Lego games) the co-op split screen is terrible. During levels, while players are close together they're both on once screen. As they move apart a line appears. The line moves as the characters move around each other which makes it very difficult to see what you're doing if your partner is jumping, falling in holes, flying, etc. This really makes a difference when you're targeting something. I found while I was trying to target if my son was moving it made my target move even if I wasn't touching the joystick. I would have to tell him to stop moving until I was done. Sometimes he would have to drop out completely so I could see what I was trying to target (specifically while playing target "games").

5.0 out of 5 stars xmas present, December 26, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
grandson loved it. he rented this several times and now he has his own and can play anytime. great times for him

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game for gamers and parent with kids, November 23, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My son and I play this game together. He's a 4-year old who can't get enough of the Batman/Marvel universe, and this game is PERFECT for us.

For starters, the controls are simple enough to grasp and my little guy was up and running after a few short game sessions. Since we only play for 30 minutes at a time, it's nice that we can finish a level/stage and he feels accomplished when I say it's time to stop playing.

The graphics are great - bright, fun, and movie like. Since we also watch the accompanying movie - a lot - it's nice that the game looks like what he watches on TV and he gets to play out the movie on his own.

Like I mentioned before, the controls are easy to get a hang of and the camera never gets in your way. I remember playing through the first Batman game demo and if one of the characters went too far to one side of the screen, it would pull the other player off buildings, bridges...which was incredibly frustrating for my son. I'm glad the camera splits, and the developers did it effectively.

We haven't finished the single player campaign yet, but this game certainly has re-play value. If you're looking for a game to play with your kids, this game should be at the top of your list.

From my perspective, I'm a Call of Duty/Battlefield/Splinter Cell type gamer, the game is fun, fast-paced, and it keeps me interested in collecting gold bricks and unlocking characters. I might not have purchased this game if I didn't have a little guy, but I'm glad I did. I'm looking forward to playing through the campaign so we can play through the levels free-play style and can switch guys.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worst Lego game, in my opinion. It's fine if you just want to pass the time., November 27, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I love Lego games. I own them all. This is my least favorite for several reasons.
There are only about 14 levels. Most of those levels are ridiculously long. If you save halfway through, you are likely to lose some of your mini kits.
There are so many things crammed onto the levels that it can get annoying. I hate having to keep going back to change Batman or Robin suits. I hate that I can't just pick a suit in freeplay mode. I can only use a suit when it's there and needed.
My game only had a couple glitches, but it just added to the frustration I already felt. Google helped me fix the biggest problem....you finally defeat the Joker robot, Lex and Joker are together, and Robin comes to Batman's rescue. It would freeze right there so that I couldn't finish the level. I just pressed the big green xbox button on the controller over and over and over so that the game could "catch up". It worked, but there are other solutions online. The other glitch was in Lego World. If I used the batmobile to go up the ramp to collect studs, the car would crash over and over and over forever. I had to start over, losing my progress.
You can walk or fly around a really cool Gotham City. It's pretty cool, but it takes forever to get everything and it gets monotonous. The worst were the flying controls. I would be about to land perfectly, and the controls would stop me, turn me around, and leave me quite a distance away from where I was about to land. It was so frustrating, but I like to finish things so I just kept at it.
It took me forever to figure out the map, but once I did, it was easy to navigate and find the things I needed.
I'm at close to 100% on this game, but it has taken me forever. I only get a few hours to play every few days and I've been at it for weeks. With the other games, when I was almost finished, I'd just go through finding the mini-kits, then save/finish level. It shaved so much time off, but this one won't save the mini-kits unless you play all the way through. At least I hope they'll save that way. I haven't found out for sure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Game, October 31, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I purchased this game for my kids. They seem to love it for a while.

But this open free roaming sandbox format makes it very hard for the kids to know where to go next. So after a few months, they stopped playing.

This happened with The 2nd Lego Indiana Jones and Lego Harry Potter series.

They loved the Original Lego Indiana Jones, they were able to move from one level to the next without problems. They also love the Lego Star Wars, But now days with the open game play, they never finish the game. They are more frustrated than enjoying it now.

If you have kids that are very young, maybe you will either have to commit to playing with them to help them or look for something else. I used to get the cheat codes to unlock features to make the game easier for the kids, but now there are less codes to unlock, you have to actually play to unlock somethings.

So I recommend downloading the DEMO and letting the kids try it and if they really into it, go get the full game.

ARRAY(0x9dcb1c30)