Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LEGO Bricks & More Deluxe Brick Box #5508 (704 pieces)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on December 27, 2011
THESE are the legos I had growing up - not those "build this one thing" boxes that are all over the store shelves. You can't even find this set at our local Target. But I knew this is the set I wanted to get for our nephew and niece - let them decide what they want to build, and let them use their imagination about what they're building! It's incredible the stuff they come up with when given no limits.

Here's a case in point if you're trying to decide between these more generic bricks and one of the branded specialty boxed sets - our nephew opened this set and a Lego's Ninjago plane set. He was clearly excited about both, but for the entire weekend, this box was the go-to set for building, while the Ninjago sat in the box. For young kids, who are just developing their imaginations, they need a playground that encourages them to think outside the box, not conform to a list of instructions. If you want them to build on their own and have a blast - get them a brick box and see all the crazy things they make!

The box is about 1/3 full with lego parts, with plenty of variety. One minor gripe, but the wheels don't come pre-assembled, probably so they could count it as two parts instead of one. Lots of windows & doors, a few people, plenty of wheels, lights - this is a quality set.
on August 29, 2013
I thought 704 Legos would be sufficient to keep my 7 year old occupied for hours. As other reviewers stated, a lot of the pieces are really small and not necessarily your standard Lego 'brick'. The contents barely fills the container by half. While my child did enjoy building the small house, car, etc. from the instruction booklet, he was asking me to buy more Lego bricks the next day.
on August 8, 2012
I am definitely a fan of legos. I was pretty excited to see such a good size set for a decent price. Now I know why. When I got the tub it wasn't even half full. Everything comes in a few plastic bags, inside the tub, which is fine. So I opened up the bags and dumped all of the legos in the tub. It wasn't even full 1/3 of the way. I ended up ordering another lego set when I ordered this one. This is that set ---> LEGO Bricks & More Builders of Tomorrow Set 6177 I dumped all of those legos into this tub on top of the ones that already came with it. It still barely reached halfway up the tub. Legos can be pretty expensive so I was ultimately disappointed when I realized I felt cheated. I wish more pieces had come in the set.
on January 8, 2014
I like this for the creativity it allows. Most sets are to build a specific thing. That requires only the ability to look at a picture and assemble according to the plan. This has no plan except for the 704 block and the mind of the user. So it depends on if you want to create a follower or a free thinker.Most Lego Stores have a wall of blocks that you can fill a cup for a price. This works great to add an even wider selection to this nice size container. I'd buy this again.
on January 31, 2011
I love legos. This set is a great starter set. The only down side is that there is not enough big pieces. Other than that it is a great product.
on February 13, 2013
I purchased this just to "bulk up" my lego supply for projects. Stand alone, it is pretty good for building small projects. It is much better and cheaper than video games! I just wished the tub was more full but 700 pieces is still quite a bit. Just watch the price, it has been fluctuating from 30 to 55 bucks.
on August 23, 2013
Though I tried to prolong the inevitable as much as I could, it was time for my son's first tub of LEGOS (sorry, feet). I bought them for his 4th birthday.

This is a good tub. A good starter set, and the best value that I've found as far as the assorted tubs go. Despite what other reviews say about it being only a fraction full, I actually like this feature, as it allows storage for future LEGOS; I think that's what LEGO had in mind when packaging it that way. Despite the ample "room to grow," there are still enough bricks and bobs and bits to play around with.

Having said that, my only real complaint is there are too many "micro" pieces for my taste. You know, the tiny "lights," the small wedges (one suggested use on the box is for a kitten's ear--it's really tiny), etc. . . While these specialized pieces are great, I would rather have seen more basic 2X6 bricks instead. I don't want to deprive my child of the joy of dumping an entire tub out onto the floor, but these tiny pieces really do make me hesitate, as they literally roll all over the place. This was the immediate difference I noticed between this set and the one I had as a kid.

But to put a positive spin on the compare and contrast, this set comes with a few good mini-figures that are always fun. I could be wrong, but I don't remember seeing those included in the basic tub of yore.
on December 27, 2011
We already had many LEGOs, but when my 8 year-old son asked for "just a big bin of bricks" for Christmas, I thought this might fit the bill. As he's actually become more interested in adding vehicles and different types of structures to his building mix, I appreciated having the wheels and the additional platform for building. A couple of years ago, we purchased the "starter" bin of LEGOs for him (with 400 bricks, I think) and it felt rather skimpy. Not so with this bin. When added to the various parts of kits we've acquired over the past few years, we really have a well-rounded set that enables his imagination to really take flight. And, as always, the product is accompanied by a fun guide of building possibilities - a great starting point for my son to add his own personal touch. So much more flexible than the theme-specific kits, and the boys will play with them for hours. A classic winner is still current.
on February 2, 2014
Everyone loves Legos. Great item to get the creative juices flowing. There are so many kits, too, you can buy to build almost anything that you can think of, plus special order sizes from the company. They are very small and need some supervision if there is a toddler or infant around.
on December 31, 2011
We got this box of Legos for a five year-old boy as a birthday present, and it has been a big hit. Instead of having a box of Legos that can only really make one or two things, which seems to be the trend these days, this box of Legos is a box of (almost) endless possibility. It encourages imagination and critical thinking in order to make what you want to make. It has been great fun.

That's not to say that it doesn't have some instructions for simple things - it does. There are simply enough pieces to make much more. Both me and my kids have had a blast.

You should probably shop around, though, because at the time of my posting this review the price I paid was much less than the current price of seventy dollars.