4.0 out of 5 stars A little more tricky than the other LEGO Creator Houses
For starters, the LEGO Creator houses are awesome. They are well constructed, can be built 3 different ways, and have a lot of neat features. This set fits that bill. The reason for it's somewhat strange name - 'Apple Tree House'. That is because there is an apple tree in the yard. :-) The name had me scratching my head until I built the apple tree.

I got...
Published on March 8, 2010 by T. Bowers

3.0 out of 5 stars Lackluster effort...
OK, we all know how great LEGO is. Lets get that out of the way. Not sure why only one person pointed out the garage issue. Its deep, yes, but not only does in not come with a car but you have to find the smallest car (family house) to put in this garge and then good luck getting it out Yes its a fun built but there are no accessories in the house and the second floor...
Published 11 months ago by Jack Enzo

4.0 out of 5 stars A little more tricky than the other LEGO Creator Houses, March 8, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)

I got this set, among others, for my dad. He's in his 70's and can't get around like he used to, but he really enjoys building the Creator houses. Based solely on his experience with the construction I believe this set is a little more difficult than some of the others, even larger sets which he has built. The main reason is because the roof over the garage is a couple of bricks lower than the main roof. This really confused my dad. Also, LEGO instructions are difficult to follow sometimes. This doesn't take much away from the set. It is pretty much as fun as all the other sets and almost as pretty.

It has several really neat touches - satellite dish, basketball goal, lawn mower, and of course an apple tree. :-) It even has a downspout and outside spigote.

My dad said it should have came with a vehicle to pull into the garage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for building, not as good for playing, August 17, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
I enjoyed building this set. There are 3 builds included in the instruction booklets. However, every build consists of a fully walled and roofed building. It's not that good for playing. The blue roof is the hardest part to build, and takes up a lot of room. There is very little interior room in the buildings. With the townhome build, you have the 2 rooms that are stacked on top of each other and can be taken apart for play, but there's a very small claustrophic feel to the room interiors. There are small fun builds for the exterior for a basketball net, apple trees, see-saw, garden, etc.

In contrast, Lego Friend's Olivia's House is great for playing, because each room consists of only 3 walls and a floor (so it's easy to rearrange furniture and minifigurines for play), and each room is fully modular and can be on top or next to the other rooms (so more arrangements possible). The next mega-set, the Lego Friends Summer Riding Camp, is of a similar play structure.

So if you like to build and look at it from the outside, then this is fun. If you want to play with it and put minifigurines and furniture inside, like a dollhouse, then I'd recommend the Lego Friends Olivia House or Summer Riding Camp instead for their open and modular room structures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, March 24, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
I bought this Lego set for my 11 year old daughter. She's a pretty smart kid and good at figuring things out. This toy kept her busy a good while assembling it. This isn't her first Lego set, she has quite a few random pieces and a few other sets. While it is reasonably challenging to build and cool to look at, once she built it, she never took it apart. I don't know if that was a "been there done that" thing, or she didn't care to figure it out again, or what. She disassembled and rebuilt her other sets however. Overall, a reasonably priced (by Lego standards),fun toy that is pretty challenging for the average kid to put together.

4.0 out of 5 stars You cannot fit a small Lego car in the garage?!, December 25, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
Overall I agree with the other reviewers, so I won't go into great detail about the sturdiness, etc of the product. I just want to comment that my son was very disappointed that we couldn't fit even his smallest Lego car into the garage. The way the door swings up makes the entry very low. Other than that, it looks good (we only did the Apple Tree House so far) and was pretty easy to build.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, could this set be any cuter!!!!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
The set was very fun to put together, and the directions were very clear/with only a few questionable color situations ie (is that gray is that brown) overall very fun to build and the result is super adorable.... I mean, come on, the garage door, mail slot complete with letters and basketball hoop are soooo cute. And let's not forget the lawn mower....possibly one of the best lego house sets I've built, and i've been building with lego for over 30 years (that's right adult lego fan) I believe most kids who are lego fans could do this set from age 9 and up depending on how advanced they are at building/direction interpretation...worst case scenario, this set would be fun for kids to just run wild with their imaginations, it's not as though you can't use these pieces in multiple ways, even just the box provides 3 different configurations. All in all, this is another fabulous lego product! highly, highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it!, May 21, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
I bought this set for my daugter who just turned 9. I thought it was one of the few that wasn't totally geared to boys. She loved putting it together and now has it displayed in her room. As with all Legos, you can "play" with it gently but something usually falls apart; although easy enough to repair. I bought this online because I was short on time for shopping around and hadn't seen it in the stores. But within a month of purchasing, I did see this set at Toys R Us for cheaper than what I paid! That's what you get for convenience but it was worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to play with it, January 8, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
Bought this to play with 4 years old son, we had a lot of fun on it.
You can build a lot of different houses from the given blocks if you have
a good imagination.

The bad part, just ONE day after I received it, the price on amazon dropped for about
20%, and customer support says there is no price match possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars My child enjoys it, March 7, 2010
Gil (Palo Alto, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
This is a great Lego kit.
There are three different models and every week we built a different one.
There is good combination of small and big pieces which help with the motor skills.
My 6 years old loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set for girls!, October 23, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
I purchased this for my 7yr old daughter who likes to play with her older brother's set. I couldnt find a decent well reviewed pink set of leggo that would challenge her. This set included that plans for 3 different house styles. The roof lifts off and it you have little leggo figures you can build it and play in it. The lawn mower, mailbox, apple tree and basketball court are cool things kids identify with.

This was an expensive set but I beleive it will engage her imagination and give her many more hours of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Son's Favorite Legos Kit!, June 5, 2011
cacindy6 "cacindy6" (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO Creator Apple Tree House (5891) - 539 Piece set (Toy)
I bought this Creator House kit for my son's 4th birthday. It's more difficult than the other Creator sets he's done, especially when it comes to building the roofs, so we worked through them together. Since then, he's built each house version at least 2-3x, and requires less and less help each time. The design and details are so interesting that it keeps him engaged. Incidentally he picked out a Harry Potter Lego set yesterday and once we got it home, he decided he would rather build his Creator house again!