Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

**Update early 2013: this set is now discontinued and the price is rising. For value, I recommend the Lego Log Cabin while supplies last. There are three Creator structures slated for 2013, a small cottage, a treehouse, and a family house.**

I think this is one of the best sets of 2011. This is a creative, original design that is fun to build and play with.

-This is, as far as I can tell, Lego's first dedicated lighthouse. There have been other lighthouse-like structures (e.g. the Coast Guard command tower from a few years ago). And there is a small polybag set, #30023, that just came out; but that is really a mini-version of this large one. So 5770 really is an original and unusual set. I wouldn't necessarily call it a collectors item, but I wouldn't expect another lighthouse for quite a few years.

-Being from the Creator line, this set is made primarily out of general-use bricks and comes with instructions for three different builds. This is closer to how Lego was when I was a child, and it encourages kids to rebuild the structures either as the other designs or their own. The Creator sets, however, use more ingenious building techniques than what Lego offered decades ago. These are really marvels of miniature design. The other two designs are a sea-side restaurant (with a dock and a hinged side-wall for access), and a boat house with a launching ramp.

-This set is on the expensive side for some people, but it is still a good value. All of these bricks are very useful in making your own designs, especially the red and white curved bricks and the slopes. And Amazon often goes below MSRP on these sets, so keep a look out (no pun intended).

-This set has great playability. In fact, of the three Creator structures that came out this year (the others being 5771 and 5766) this one is the most fun. It has a light brick that you can spin with a crank that sticks out of the side of the tower (actually, the light brick remains still while you spin a reflector). One must push down on the top of the lighthouse in order to keep the light shining. Kids will either be taking the model into a closet, or insisting that you turn off all the lights so that they can play with this feature. In addition to the front door of the model, a portion of the side of the tower swings open to reveal a ladder. And there is the boat, mini-figure, smartly designed sea-birds, BBQ and fish. The other two models are very good as well.

-The set is great for both boys and girls. It makes a great gift as well because if you don't like the design, you can still build it into something else.

-If you find this set is on the expensive side for you, but you want some of the same design advantages that it has, check out the set #5766, the Log Cabin, which arrived in early 2011. Both are great sets.
0Comment57 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2011
I have traveled this state in search of lighthouses. now i have on on my shelf.

this set is pretty nice. comes with a rotaing lens and a lightbrick to shine off of it.

you really, in pictures, only get to see one side. the back side has a handle to rotate the lens and the far side opens up to get inside. i don't understand the reasoning for that.

there is a cool little power boat and minifig to go along with it and a pier to tie it up on.

it is a simple build and from the lego creator, it is the tough one of the three. i wn't be doing the other two because i love the lightouse. it looks really cool
on December 3, 2011
Creator and technic series are my favorites. Creator series teaches me to see things to model them while technic series allows me to model their functionalities. I have many Creator houses but this is my first lighthouse and it is superb! Thanks Grandma! The lighthouse a fun and rewarding build for me but moderately easy. The lighthouse keeper's house is proportional in size to the lighthouse. Of course, the rotating light that is cranked by hand (two double bevel gears) is fun and sturdy. The blue base is made up of a 16 studs by 16 studs plate, a 6x16 studs plate and a 4x8 studs plate. I wish it was a big solid piece of base plate instead. There are very interesting pieces that I think can be used for other models. I haven't built the other two models because I like the lighthouse too much to take it apart to build the other two.

This set has 518 pieces and comes out to be about 7.7 cents per element. Don't be fooled into thinking this set is a steal - there are a lot of small pieces in this set, which is usually what real modeling uses.

Dad: this is a reasonably priced set, a rare thing for Lego, at $39.99. I think the light brick is made in China as almost all Lego sets with electronic components contain components made in China, if anyone cares. This is probably not a good set to collect in MISB form until your kids grow old enough to play with it because the batteries in the light brick might die or worse, leak... Lego instruction says uses two LR41 watch or button batteries although we haven't tried opening our light bricks yet. Highly recommended.
on September 5, 2011
My grandson loved this Lego set. At six he is totally into Lego and this is a wonderful addition to his collection.
on November 21, 2011
We gave this to our daughter for her 7th birthday. She loves to play with it and create one of the three buildings regularly. Great toy! It is not too easy to build, so still needs creativity and close looks. Perfect for that age!
on December 21, 2011
I was lucky to get this toy for my niece at a good price but I've seen it was incremented a lot (from approx. $40 to $50). It makes me feel bad to see this, but well, I suggest any buyer to be carefull with prices.

good luck
on December 27, 2011
My gandson who just just turned 6 put together the litehouse in a couple of hours with a little help from his brother. The rotating light was a nice little extra feature. The product is strong and has a nice appearance. It's going out to our fish pond. He is thoroughly delighted.
on August 19, 2012
I purchased this for my son 8th birthday. He loves all things fishing and boating and this fit the bill. He loves it! He really likes that it can be recreated in to three different scenarios. It's a great Lego kit.
on October 18, 2011
I purchased this for my Granddaughter and she loved it. She is a LEGO fan and puts them together fast.
on July 23, 2012
My little guy loves this set! It was his first Lego "house" set, and he has built, deconstructed, and rebuilt each version many times!! We love these 3-in-1 sets because of their versatility and possibilities.