Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Martha Stewart American Made Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on January 14, 2012
I am 9 years old and it was hard at first and difficult to find certain pieces because there was so many. I had help from my Daddie with finding some of the pieces in the beginning that were hard to find. After building the first house, things started to speed up and go quickly. I loved all the little animals and decorations.I did not need any help after building the 1st floor of the first house.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2012
What can I say! Of course this is a stupendous product. My son still builds these, (and shhhh he is thirty and works a very stressful corporate job). He has many of the city sets and duplicates of several. These fill his need to create , relax and I think re-live a bit of childhood in a sea of work days and responsibilities. They are so well thought out in design and have such amazing tiny details . He loves lego, I love that he does, and I will continue to buy this great product for him. I hope more come out in this particular series. The detailed buildings such as these are by far his favorites. Ah far as educational..please, it is one of the few toys left that allow you to build as it was designed, and then as we do ...take them apart and re-design with your own ideas.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2011
My 10 year old daughter loves this set! She has the grand emporium (which is also amazing) and has completed several of the architecture sets. The detail is very impressive, with cool interior spaces. We love how the modular sets look when hooked together!!
on February 8, 2013
I'm an adult LEGO fan but I purchased this for me and my teenage cousins to put together over the holiday. It can be a long process but in a group, it can actually be a fun build. There are two buildings, also, so you can split up the fun that way.

I have four modulars: the Grand Emporium, Fire Brigrade, Town Hall and now the Pet Shop. When the Pet Shop first came out, I wasn't too keen on it because it seemed so small in comparison to the other modulars and it seemed a bit out of place. However, it was on sale during the holiday season so I decided to go for it. I don't know why I held out on this for so long. I think the Pet Shop is absolutely wonderful and creative. All the modulars have their own unique charm but I think the Pet Shop brings a lot of fun and cuteness to the block. It's very colorful without being gaudy. There are also a lot of details in the facade that are put together quite elegantly. In my opinion, if you were to only get one modular building, it would be the Pet Shop because it looks great by itself, it can be separated, and it makes a great street scene.

The build process can be quite tedious for younger builders or for those who lack patience. I enjoyed the build but some of my younger cousins got a bit frustrated. In the end though, we all enjoyed the end product. Even the other adults came out to watch the build process and play with set. (Modular set building may become a holiday tradition for us!)

Younger children may not enjoy the build but they may enjoy the end product (if you allow them to play with it). It's not really the best set as a play set as the rooms are pretty tiny and difficult to reach into. If you're looking for a playset, I suggest sets from LEGO City or the easier Lego Creator 3-in-1 houses.

Highly recommended! As with all my LEGO reviews, check the MSRP on the LEGO website before you buy. If you buy from a third-party seller on Amazon or eBay, you will likely overpay. Research before you buy.
on January 12, 2015
My son LOVED Legos when he was a child. Santa would give him a large set every Christmas and he would spend the vacation happily building and playing with it. At that point it was mostly different castles. Now he has a 7 year old daughter and they both LOVE Legos. They have a wonderful time building and playing together. I gave her (them) this set for Christmas. It's aimed at children much older than 7, but it was perfect for the two of them. She got several smaller sets, too, some that she could do by herself. I loved watching her concentrate so hard and have so much fun, just like her dad did at her age. I love this new city buildings theme. My son sent me a picture when they were nearly done and wrote: "Almost finished. It's amazing. Thank you! She loves it."
review image
on February 8, 2014
Check out the YouTube video reviews of the 'Pet Shop' and you will see most agree this is the best Creator build. Since we purchased this one and the Expert Winter Village Cottage based on YouTube video reviews, I can only say they were both every bit as satisfying as we had expected. Bonus: the sets will probably go out of production in a few years and become valuable to collectors (think double). What other toys can you enjoy and then sell for considerably more than you paid, allowing you to move on to the next generation? Nice!
on January 15, 2014
I love the big, fancy LEGO sets in the "Creator" series. But it took me a while to buy this one. Judging from the picture on the box, I was afraid it would be a bit bland compared to showpiece sets such as the Emporium and Town Hall.

How wrong I was. The Pet Shop is actually one of the best sets in the series. One big strength is that it consists of two buildings, rather than the usual one - a lovely brownstone (which reminds me of my Brooklyn days) and the title Pet Shop, which has an apartment above it. Both buildings are attractive and have tons of detail, both inside and out. My favorite features include a LEGO bathroom; a balcony with a stained-glass window and small garden; and the cool variety of animals in the Pet Shop (including a dog, a cat, parrots and frogs).

Building the set is time-consuming and challenging, but also quite fun if LEGO is your thing. Construction is divided into four phases (the top and bottom halves of each building), and the bags of pieces are labeled accordingly. The instructions are very clear, for the most part, though sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between light grey, dark grey and black pieces. Have a bright light handy. :-)

I recommend emptying the bags into small bowls, so it's easier to sort through the pieces (and harder to lose them). Speaking of pieces, I'm pretty sure my set was missing one piece - a window section - and I had to substitute one from my old collection. However, the piece could always have just fallen and got stuck in my rug somewhere, making it my fault; and besides, I hear that LEGO is good about sending replacement pieces should you ever need one.

Overall, I think the set is awesome. The two-building construction makes a nice change of pace from other Creator sets, which follow a different (and fairly predictable) formula. And I'd recommend picking this up pretty soon, since it was released a while ago and may soon vanish from the mainstream market. Once that happens, you might have to pay a ton to get it secondhand.
on June 18, 2012
This set was on sale on Amazon for about $135 when I bought it. It was a steal at that price with Prime. The set itself is awesome. There's a lot of cool new pieces that aren't in most sets. You get a variety of animals and items. The actual set has a really nice design to it. I was really impresses how far lego went with actual detail. There is also tons of room to place minifgures inside. I recommend over any of the other creator sets out there. Definitely most bang for your buck.
on December 30, 2011
My child adored this addition and never tires of showing it off...the creator series is such a hit with our family!
on April 18, 2015
I have a 9 year old. He has been yearning for the set for ages. I was very hesitant to buy because the 16+ rating and the number of pieces....and the price! I was convinced to buy the set for his 9th birthday! He had completed the whole thing in 2 days, working after school only! He had no help from any adult, whatsoever! The only help he accepted was to have his brother search for a missing peice! It is done ... In exactly 2 days! Now, he is playing with it like a play house.