Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

VINE VOICEon January 17, 2013
I won't talk about a 2 month old wonderkid that put this together in 6 seconds, but say a few opininions I have about Lego and this line. I think they have finally tapped into the unlimited potential of their adult fanbase. That is, the kids that played with Lego's as kids in the 1980's or so have grown up and have kids of their own. And they remember how great Lego was back then and maybe more importantly, can look at a set or a minifigure and perhaps remember the sets they WANTED when they were kids, but couldn't get or have. Fast forward to today, and here is a prime example of one of such sets. Lego used to make vacation cottages and houses and with their Creator Line, for a few years now they've managed to produce several wonderful house sets. This is another fantastic one, far simpler and maybe more importantly, one that hopefully won't stretch a parent's wallet too thin!

The beauty of the Creator sets, to me, is that they are a lot like the Lego sets that I grew up with. Remember when you could look at the box of a set and see all types of alternative models with the same pieces you had in the set? Creator is a step in that direction. With his set you can build three different models, including an alternative house and a windmill but of course the possibilities are only as limited as someone's imagination. The house is built to mini-figure scale, and the minifigure is basic but comes with a skateboard. It's a very basic set, yet in it's simplicity there should be plenty of play opportunities. And since this is significantly cheaper than any creator house I've seen, maybe a buyer can head to the wall with their kid and pick out pieces to expand on the design? Maybe make a car, add a fence, or make the mini-fig a few friends? Thisis what I like about this cottage - it's a throwback and lets someone maybe add to the purchase.

I would definitely recommend this set. It's nice, it's cute, a great little package, makes a nice gift and adds to anyone's lego city, collection, etc. Building it is no too complicated and the parts are basic so that you can actually build a few of them if the kids have the right pieces around. At twenty-five dollars (the Lego price, not whatever vendors may charge...), it's a welcome alternative to the pricey licensed themes.
This is Lego's first Creator house for 2013. I always recommend cross-checking with Lego for pricing and model information. When Amazon proper does offer Creator sets, they are often at a slight discount.

This is probably Lego's smallest Creator-line house yet, and while it is tiny, it has a very classic look as well as small details that give it good playability. The set comes with directions for three builds, two of which are cottages, the third approximating a windmill. All three designs open up for easy access (the first has a lift-off roof and a swinging wall, the latter two are built as clamshells). There is one mini figure, and the only specialized pieces are a coffee mug and skate board. My only knock against the set is that the windmill vanes are much too short, something that I trust some kids will correct with their own spare Lego parts.

What makes this set (and the Creator line generally) special is that it is made almost entirely with general use bricks. The chairs, stove, the side tables, the lamps, the flowers, the fence, the pond, are all done with ingenious use of common bricks. So while this is a small set, it is a fine example of small scale design. A child can learn a lot from how Lego has arranged things and how they have worked the colors (note the detail in the chimney). The selection of bricks in the set is also useful, with a good number of plates, nice blue roof tiles, windows, a yellow door and a sliding door. If the person getting this set doesn't like any of the main designs, they still have a great collection of bricks.

I find that in play, these Creator building sets work very well. First, they are mini figure size, so kids can integrate then into many of the other Lego themes (City line, Friends...). Second, the availability of multiple directions really does encourage rebuilding. Keep those directions in a safe and accessible place so that kids can take it apart and rebuild at their whim. You may find, as I have, that your child likes to cycle through various designs.

This is the first of three Lego Creator structures for 2013 (and the only one for the first half of the year). The forthcoming structures are the Tree House (31010) and the Family House (31012). While supplies last, Lego's 2011 Log Cabin is also worth checking out.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2013
This small Lego cottage has great attention to detail. The various plants and grasses, along with the small pond, make the cottage really stand out. I like the chair and table inside the cottage, and the outside cooking grill. The one issue, however, is that there is no real room in the attic, and there isn't a place for the included minifig to sleep (if minifigs need sleep). I also like the sliding doors, the swing-open wall, and the included food for the minifig to grill and eat.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon January 21, 2014
Over the last year we've dramatically expanded our Lego collection. I have been getting increasingly frustrated with the specialty sets my daughter keeps getting. They seem great, but after they are put together and she plays with them a few days, there isn't much to do with them. We have some Iron Man, Chima and Ninjago sets that look really cool, but now are collecting dust on the shelf. If I take them apart a lot of the pieces won't really work for anything else other than their intended project.

When my mom asked what Lego's to buy my daughter for Christmas I told her anything that we could disassemble and could be easily integrated into our mass of Lego's when she is done. This set, actually this line of Lego Creator products, is perfect for that. We have built all of the 3 various types of buildings we can with this set and now are ready to assimilate the bricks in our storage case and use them for other projects. We actually used a much larger base plate with these buildings and built trees, a larger skate park and other buildings around this Lego set. This set inspired much more creativity in my daughter than any of her other specialty sets. Our favorite aspects of this were the outside fire pit/BBQ and the sliding glass doors. This set is one of my favorites so far! The price seems very reasonable for what you get out of it also.
on July 28, 2014
A nice little house. Fits in well with other Creator builds or stands on its own. This one will be used in ma LEGO train display.
on July 9, 2014
My son loved this
on July 30, 2014
I purchased this for my 9 year old for Christmas, I am sure he will love this for all of his lego guys he already has.
on June 30, 2014
The LEGO Creator Small Cottage 31009 is very beautiful. My son like it very much. I will buy more for my son.
on July 24, 2014
The wall can be open from the back to put additional stuff or minifigures. Overally nice cottage :)
My son wants two more of this same item so he can have all three options built. He loves it!