5.0 out of 5 stars Lego's 2013 Treehouse
Nut-job Lego-loving parent here. Ignore my star rating. I don't get free Lego for these reviews...

This set arrived on the market mid-2013. MSRP is 29.99. It is often wise to cross check with Lego on price and availability.

Published 18 months ago by R. Ferguson

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing part
The treehouse is really nice and my son adores it. But there is a missing part and I dont know what to do as I live in Brazil and bought it when I was travelling last year and gave him as a Christmas gift. Where should I complain?
Published 11 months ago by Patricia

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego's 2013 Treehouse, June 30, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Creator Treehouse 31010 Toy Interlocking Building Sets (Toy)

This is a great set, partly because tree houses have natural playability for kids, partly because it is from the Creator line (see below). I think this is the best Creator set for 2013.

Lego released a Friends theme tree house #3065 in 2012 that was a great set and, I believe, one that sold well. It was also a great price at 19.99. This set, 31010, costs a little bit more, adds a larger structure and has a more gender neutral color scheme. As a Creator set, 31010 has directions for three models (you build one at a time): the tree house, a waterside building with a small dock, and a two story barn-like structure. The set includes one mini-figure (a boy) with a walkie talkie, a frog, treasure map, and pizza. The tree house features a folding ladder (very nifty design), a tipper with "water" in it, winch with hook and trash-can, telescope, clubhouse with attic and lift-off top, bed, a hidden compartment (in the tree) for the treasure map, a brick-built wagon, and a brick-built dog. The waterside structure has a small oven with a lift-off top. The little barn features the winch.

I think most kids will stick with the tree house design as it has the most going on. Play-wise, this set works well with a wide range of Lego's other themes. It is mini-figure size, unlike some of the other Creator sets. The set makes a great gift because if the child does not like it, they have the ability to make a wide range of other structures. At the very least, it is a good collection of very useful bricks.

This is Lego's second Creator structure for 2013. The first was #31009 which is less expensive, but probably not as much fun. The third structure is #31012 which I also like very much but it is substantially more expensive at 69.99 MSRP. I also recommend #5766 which came out in 2011, is a favorite with kids, and is still available as I write this.

Creator sets are made primarily out of general-use bricks and come with instructions for multiple builds. This is closer to how Lego was when I was a child, and it encourages kids to rebuild the structures either as the other designs or their own. The Creator sets, however, use more ingenious building techniques than what Lego offered decades ago. These are really marvels of miniature design. Set 31010 has many good bricks including plates, angled pieces (many in brown, a more useful color than you might think), and four windows.

Finally, at the risk of sounding like a shill for Lego, the Creator section of the Lego website has a nice collection of short videos that feature their own designers explaining advanced building techniques. These videos mesh nicely with this set.

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set for playing with!, November 6, 2013
Jessica Ward (Napa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This LEGO set has tons of play options after it's built. The build itself is fun, and it's cool to have three different options--I really like that about the creator series. But the treehouse build is the most fun option for my 5 year old--lots of cool little elements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value -- tons of play with this set., November 22, 2013
This is an excellent set for the money -- lots of neat details, three sets of instructions to rebuild and reconfigure. Fun little jokes -- pizza, dog, lift bucket, water ambush, trasure map. The ladder for the tree house lifts up and the trap door can be sealed.

Snap up a few of these sets -- at this price, it's excellent for nieces and nephews at Christmas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better for daughter than Lego Friends sets, December 28, 2013
Hammy (Brighton, MI United States) - See all my reviews
We chose this for our 6 yr old daughter after being disappointed with the Lego Friends sets, which did not seem to involve as much building. This was a great set for her, and we love the 30 in 1 aspect.
Would've given it full stars, except there are translucent window pieces that are the most annoying Lego pieces ever... We can't tell if we had done missing pieces or if they were just lost because they are practically invisible lol!

Our 8 yr old son enjoyed helping her with this and his interest in it encouraged her enthusiasm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big Hit!, September 4, 2013
My 7 year old son loves it and has been working on it independently and doing great! I would give it five starts if there were not sooo many itty bitty tiny teeny pieces. But I guess that's what makes the details so good. I love that there are three somewhat different projects to make. I hope he doesn't loose all the tiny pieces before he gets to make them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego's 2013 Treehouse, October 5, 2013

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, October 31, 2013
It is another great Lego set. I love that there are different builds with the creator series. Goes great with the other buildings I own. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars a fun toy, October 2, 2013
My grandson loves this lego toy. he loved building and playing with it. It is a great toy for the younger -1o year olds

5.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY LEGO ON AMAZON IN THE TWO WEEKS BEFORE CHRISTMAS!, December 14, 2013
JasW (South Florida) - See all my reviews
This is a great set, but why does Amazon even associate Prime with third-party sellers who double the price two weeks before Christmas? This is an in-production set that goes for thirty dollars elsewhere. It's a disgrace to charge this much for a set that's readily available for so much lower. SHAME ON YOU, AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars I still like this set a lot, December 15, 2014
Travis Ann Sherman (St. Petersburg, Fl United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I still like this set a lot, but I was hoping that it would catch fire a bit more with the five-year-old I gave it too. I learned, too late, the secret of Lego giving from a dad at a birthday party: "I would buy a very simple set and do it every Christmas with him until he liked doing them himself." I've been trying to introduce Legos to my grandsons, but I'll wait now until we can all work them together. Next time they come over, I'll take away the Nerf guns (agh!) and get out the Lego box. In hopes of a quieter evening.

And when it says 7-12 on the box? Maybe it's a good idea to pay attention to 7-12.