Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Nut-job Lego-loving parent here. Ignore my star rating. I don't get free Lego for these reviews...

This set arrived on the market mid-2013. MSRP is 29.99. It is often wise to cross check with Lego on price and availability.

This is a great set, partly because tree houses have natural playability for kids, partly because it is from the Creator line (see below). I think this is the best Creator set for 2013.

Lego released a Friends theme tree house #3065 in 2012 that was a great set and, I believe, one that sold well. It was also a great price at 19.99. This set, 31010, costs a little bit more, adds a larger structure and has a more gender neutral color scheme. As a Creator set, 31010 has directions for three models (you build one at a time): the tree house, a waterside building with a small dock, and a two story barn-like structure. The set includes one mini-figure (a boy) with a walkie talkie, a frog, treasure map, and pizza. The tree house features a folding ladder (very nifty design), a tipper with "water" in it, winch with hook and trash-can, telescope, clubhouse with attic and lift-off top, bed, a hidden compartment (in the tree) for the treasure map, a brick-built wagon, and a brick-built dog. The waterside structure has a small oven with a lift-off top. The little barn features the winch.

I think most kids will stick with the tree house design as it has the most going on. Play-wise, this set works well with a wide range of Lego's other themes. It is mini-figure size, unlike some of the other Creator sets. The set makes a great gift because if the child does not like it, they have the ability to make a wide range of other structures. At the very least, it is a good collection of very useful bricks.

This is Lego's second Creator structure for 2013. The first was #31009 which is less expensive, but probably not as much fun. The third structure is #31012 which I also like very much but it is substantially more expensive at 69.99 MSRP. I also recommend #5766 which came out in 2011, is a favorite with kids, and is still available as I write this.

Creator sets are made primarily out of general-use bricks and come with instructions for multiple builds. This is closer to how Lego was when I was a child, and it encourages kids to rebuild the structures either as the other designs or their own. The Creator sets, however, use more ingenious building techniques than what Lego offered decades ago. These are really marvels of miniature design. Set 31010 has many good bricks including plates, angled pieces (many in brown, a more useful color than you might think), and four windows.

Finally, at the risk of sounding like a shill for Lego, the Creator section of the Lego website has a nice collection of short videos that feature their own designers explaining advanced building techniques. These videos mesh nicely with this set.

Cheers
0Comment|197 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
This LEGO set has tons of play options after it's built. The build itself is fun, and it's cool to have three different options--I really like that about the creator series. But the treehouse build is the most fun option for my 5 year old--lots of cool little elements.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 28, 2014
I got this Lego Creator Treehouse set for my six year old and she really love it. I did help her along the way as the there are many tiny pieces which some little ones may not be able to hold tight and snap into the right places. This set is great for a weekend to spend time together building it. The instructions are very clear and laid out step by step.I would say at a mellow relaxed pace this set takes a good hour from start to finish with you helping your little one. I can also imagine this toy being fun even for much older kids if they are fans of Lego sets.

With the included pieces you can build three distinct houses: a treehouse, a garage, or a regular house with the included directions. However, it is up to your own imagination to build even more different variations. Excellent set.
review image
on November 22, 2013
This is an excellent set for the money -- lots of neat details, three sets of instructions to rebuild and reconfigure. Fun little jokes -- pizza, dog, lift bucket, water ambush, trasure map. The ladder for the tree house lifts up and the trap door can be sealed.

Snap up a few of these sets -- at this price, it's excellent for nieces and nephews at Christmas.
on December 28, 2013
We chose this for our 6 yr old daughter after being disappointed with the Lego Friends sets, which did not seem to involve as much building. This was a great set for her, and we love the 30 in 1 aspect.
Would've given it full stars, except there are translucent window pieces that are the most annoying Lego pieces ever... We can't tell if we had done missing pieces or if they were just lost because they are practically invisible lol!

Our 8 yr old son enjoyed helping her with this and his interest in it encouraged her enthusiasm.
on September 4, 2013
My 7 year old son loves it and has been working on it independently and doing great! I would give it five starts if there were not sooo many itty bitty tiny teeny pieces. But I guess that's what makes the details so good. I love that there are three somewhat different projects to make. I hope he doesn't loose all the tiny pieces before he gets to make them all.
on March 17, 2015
I bought this set to compliment my Lego Simpsons House as it doesn't look like one is in the works at the moment. I'm glad to hear the Kwik E Mart is coming through. The build was straight forward and the amount of pieces is decent. The biggest complaint is that there is no tree elements present. I have a healthy adult imagine, but come on this is the worst excuse for a tree even though this is a Creator set. Maybe the small builders won't mind so much, but the first thing I did upon completion was spend another $15 on Ebay ordering tree elements (branches, etc) to bulk up this set and give it some character. I'm waiting on the pieces as they should be delivered in the next couple of days.
on November 20, 2015
What a fun and creative building set! This was purchased as a gift for a four year old boy's birthday and he absolutely loved it. He has lots of legos already, but this set was a great addition to his collection. This set definitely inspires the mind as it can be built at least three different ways. It has lots of fun little extras like the ladder that lifts up and the trap door that can be sealed. It just has lots of fun little elements. It comes with complete instructions for building it all 3 ways and provides hours of brain-stimulating fun for children in a wide range of ages. I would recommend this building set for anyone who likes legos whether they have lots of sets already or are just starting out. A young child will need help building the sets so it makes a great one on one activity to do with you child. I am pleased with the quality, the price, and the overall value of this lego set.
on October 26, 2015
Our whole family is so excited about Lego's Creator line. Our very advanced 6 year old loves to build Legos however the really cool ones that keep him interested are still too advanced for him. Our second problem is that once they are built they are just dust collectors. NOT THIS ONE. He was able to build it with minimal help and he can actually play with it too! There are lots of cool real working features like the tree house pulley We can't wait to add more creator pieces to our collection.
on January 2, 2015
I seem to have got a set with a piece missing - which in my experience is very, very rare. Managed to get a replacement from the "suitcase" of parts I bought earlier.

We've only built the tree house and it is great with lots of detail including a lake next to the tree house with a winch and bucket to bring water up. There is also a retractable hinged ladder with a watery surprise for unwelcome visitors. Looks like we're not going to build the other two.

Not a very complex build, the age range is about right. Other than the (allegedly) missing part, am quite happy with this kit which I bought at $23.99.