on October 2, 2011
Lego has outdone themsleves once again with the Volkswagon T1. This car is detailed to the 9s. it has curtains to cover the back windows. it has a rear hood that lifts to reveal the hamster...err..rats...i mean engine. doors for driver and pasenger and back doors for the fan space.

IN BACK....there is a table with bench that folds down to a bed a faucet and sink and a fridge.

if i had to not like anything about it, it's that the front wheels don't turn and the steering wheel is for looks only.

even the inside decor has a feel of the 60s. this has got to be one of the best and most detaled looking lego sets i've seen.

it's a little too big for a mini fig i think. although i am thinking of getting the skaterboarder and surfer dude and chick to stand alongside it.

if you like LEGOs you will enjoy this flash back to the 60s. this is how we lived and traveled before there was worries about gas and pollution :-)

Enjoy
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2011
A great Lego set for any VW enthusiast - either to build or collect. I purchased one through Lego and was talked into building it right away with my boyfriend. The building instructions come in two booklets, which is really nice when building with another person. He took book 1 which built the frame of the bus, engine compartment, interior. I started on book 2 building the pieces that would be added onto the main part of the bus later on.

Took us probably 3-4 hours total to build it. It helps to get a large, flat box to dump all the pieces into rather than searching through the plastic bags for each piece.

My only complaint is that the roof piece at the front of the bus (above the drivers and passengers seats) kept crumbling apart when you build it, there wasn't enough support Lego's for it to hold as you tried putting on another piece. Eventually got it to work somehow, won't be touching that part again!

Overall, it is awesome. It sits on our shelf in all its Lego glory.
VINE VOICEon February 17, 2012
This is the second major Lego set I've done having finished and loved The Pirates of the Caribbean's Black Pearl. One thing I liked about The Black Pearl was the way the Lego's were nicely separated into numbered bags corresponding to the order in which the pieces are assembled. I assumed the Camper Van would be divided similarly particularly since the set contains over 1300 pieces. This is not the case. Not only are the bags not ordered but the pieces seem almost randomly separated. The exact same pieces are in multiple bags and early on I had no choice but to open every single bag to get the pieces required by the instructions. The difficulty of the build was mostly due to the challenge of finding pieces. Eventually I had to get a bunch of containers and carefully separate the pieces into groupings. I don't mind a difficult build but if the difficulty is due to playing `Where's Waldo' with the pieces it seems gratuitous.

Once completed the camper van is absolutely fantastic looking. This one looks wonderful sitting on my dresser. The biggest complaint I heard concerning this build was in assembling the front roof. One reviewer even resorted to gluing it and although I can see their point I didn't have nearly that level of difficulty. I would also say that with the density of this model and the number of small pieces it is much easier to do with modest or small sized hands. It's also probably a lot harder if you don't have fingernails to pull pieces back apart. This one will probably take three or four hours and if I were to do it all over again I would have done a lot more prep work in organizing the pieces before jumping into it.

Between The Black Pearl and The Camper Van I enjoyed building the Black Pearl more if for nothing else than the separation of the pieces. Again, I love a challenge and the Camper Van was a total blast to build but I felt that much of the challenge was unnecessary. There is a ton of detail like gas and break pedals that move up and down and a movable stick shift. One chair can be folded down to form a bed although the idea of it is somewhat cooler than the actual execution. I'll also say that the drapes look better in pictures and videos than in reality and they were one of the tougher parts to put on which was certainly unexpected. Like many of the other major sets this one is not to scale with the minifigs and does not come with any minifigs. You couldn't, for instance, have it going down the street of your modulars without looking absurdly oversized.

In the end I very much enjoyed assembling the VW Camper Van and would have no shame putting it out for display as it's just that cool looking. I wouldn't doubt if years from now this becomes a sought after set although you'd have to refrain from assembling it to really keep the value and what fun is that. It's a hefty price but this is a high quality premium set so you're paying extra to get more. I wouldn't recommend this set for younger kids or for playing with. The wheels are not steerable so it's limited to forward and back and like I said it's not scalable with other sets. This really is a set built for display. Hopefully LEGO will come out with similar sets in the upcoming years.
on January 2, 2012
When i ordered it i wasn't sure if i was going to be happy, blown away, or disappointed. And gosh, i was totally blown away, who thought you could make this model with only 1,300 pieces. The build was slow and quite challenging, it took me around 3 hours (with a break very once in a while) to build this set. The detailing on this is outstanding! You can look at all of the pictures, zoom, watch the movie and you've barely scratched the surface of this van. I don't want to ruin all of the details for you guys but some of my Favorite details are, the roof rack, which is perfect, the gas cap, the closet with the shirt "make Lego models, not war" hanging in it, so you can see it in the window & the engine,which is probably my favorite part of the Camper. This is such a great set, but there is, of course, always room for improvement. There are some small things that could have been better. First the roof, which is not very sturdy. (but the canvas is great!) Second, the doors could be better. And Stickers, come on Lego, i don't mind stickers to much, but for the VW sign, now thats just wrong. And for those of us who are perfectionists, the engine looks like a V4 not a FLAT 4. And one last thing that is NOT bad about it, but could have been cool, is if the wheels steered, or even just instructions on how to put a steering mechanism in there. Unfortunately they don't steer so you can really only drive it strait.:) But besides those small downs, i have to say it is just.......AWESOME!!
on October 18, 2011
You can buy this direct from Lego online for 119.95 like I did. And it's kind of an impressionist VW bus, not too realistic but extremely cool!
Dean
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this for my husband for Christmas. Direct through LEGO it was $120 so be careful of your purchase price.

At that price, it is the best LEGO set I've done so far. My husband has loved VW Camper Vans since I met him 20 years ago. So although he is not a LEGO fan, the idea of working together with him on this project seemed like fun. And it was (although painfully slow...). Total build time I would suspect to be about 8-10 hours - although for us we got many more hours of bonding time as he worked diligently to understand the pieces and how they went together.

The details are incredible. Shelves, drawers, a moving table, fold down seat, curtains, inside artwork, a sink, checkerboard floor, detailed dash, pop-up top etc. make this a super cool set when complete. All the doors open, the mirror door opens, the hatchback opens, the rear seat folds down to a bed, and the table folds up or down. I love the plaid curtains and the artwork that reads, "Make LEGO Sets Not War". The engine is visible and accessible - a neat addition.

I have a few customer images to show some of the detail that LEGO doesn't have illustrated. This is a terrific set for an older child or adult. It will take some time and patience but it is one to keep on display.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on December 27, 2011
Parts, parts, everywhere! do yourself a favor and get some zip-lock bags to organize the colors/shapes of the majority of pieces. And the two books you get? They are both directions...... in english. Thaaaat's right, the directions are a two volume set. About half done. Awesome, awesome, awesome.
on March 23, 2012
This review is primarily to warn those that already have the Volkswagen Beetle that the Van is about half the scale of the Beetle. I was rather dumbfounded as I realized this little by little during the build. I was expecting the Van to be larger than the Beetle since that's, you know, how it is in real life.

However, despite this, it still is a very interesting build with several of those elusive AHA! moments Lego fans are looking for in new sets. Just don't expect it to be huge. Would have given this 5 stars except for the size. I'll include a picture if I can with the two Volkswagen sets side by side for comparison.

Edit:
Link to the product image I posted on Amazon:
review image
on June 5, 2014
I never played with lego's as a kid. My mom said they were "boys toys" and I wasn't supposed to play with legos. So now I'm older, have my own money and can do what I want.

When my husband and I went to the local Lego store because he wanted to look at the Star Wars kits, I instantly fell in love with this kit. I was also shocked by level of detail in it because I didn't realize Lego made such sophisticated kits and assumed they were all for kids or pre-teens.

So after having bought this and spent a weekend putting it together I'm even more impressed. The fold down bench to make a bed, the sink, the engine compartment with an engine in it and then the fact that they even had curtains for the windows? Wow!

No missing pieces like I read in reviews for other kits. There were only 2 disappointments, but they aren't such a big deal that I can down-rate this. One was that my husband was hoping it came with a male/female hippy so it could be he and I, but I told him we could run by the Lego store to get one or maybe find one on Amazon. My disappointment was the external sideview mirror. If you can give me mirror sticker to make mirror for inside the van, can't you do the same for the side mirror? Instead it is just this big, grey round piece. It just didn't make sense to me that they put all this detail into the outside of the van and other parts, but just left that one plain.

But I loved this kit and it has made me into a Lego fan. I just wish I had the shelf space to buy more of them!
on January 29, 2013
We are a “Lego family” - my boys are now 13 and they pretty much grew up on Legos. What this means is that we own many Lego sets!! And 99.99% of the sets we own were purchased for my boys, and were built by my boys. This set, however, I built - I’m known as Dad - and I am not 13 anymore!! This set just brought back memories and I had to build it!!

Bottom line -it was a lot of fun to build, and it I have had it displayed in my office ever since I built it (which is over a year now)!

Another five star set from Lego in my opinion!! Great attention to detail overall… very cool set. There were a couple of sections of the build that took a little extra care (like the roof) and took careful handling / pressure. The roof might be one of the reasons this set would not be the best for an 8 year old... but that is why is clearly says 16+ years old on the box… then again, there are many eight year old Lego geniuses out there… I should speak for myself!

Great set, highly recommended!