Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Nut-job Lego-loving parent here. Ignore my star rating. I don't get free Lego for these reviews...

Lego's Duplo trains are great. They are big enough that little kids can manipulate them easily. Since they are made of blocks, kids can create their own engine and car designs AND use the same blocks to build towns, etc. We have lots of different trains in our house and I can tell you that the Duplo trains have been the most flexible and long-lived for the early age bracket. Duplo has an earlier age-safety limit (2 years) versus many of the wooden trains (that start at 3), yet the building flexibility of Lego means that the system remains interesting even as kids move out of the recommended age range.

This train features number blocks (in ROYGBIV order), a simple steam engine, a single Duplo boy-figure and a dog. The cars connect to each other with simple hitches. Lego uses the same hitches for its Duplo trucks and tractors, so these cars can do double duty. One caveat about this train is that it uses the wide train wheels. These are very durable, but if you were thinking of purchasing track and building out a Duplo train set, these wheels are wider than Duplo's proper train wheels. These operate okay on straights and curves, but they are too wide for Duplo switches, bridges, and level crossings.

In August 2013, Lego releases two new Duplo train sets: 10508 Deluxe Trains Set (a motorized engine, two freight cars, a bridge and figure-8 of track for $110) and 10507 My First Trains Set (a motorized steam-train with one passenger car and a circle of track for $45). While I very much like these larger sets, the Number Train is hard to beat at $20.

Cheers
on May 14, 2013
My son loves trains, so when Grandma and Grandpa gave him this I knew it would be a hit. We also have the baby zoo ville, and we immediately made this a zoo train. I loved watching my boy pull his "animal train" around the house. One word of advice, you (the child rather) cannot carry this train around the house. Because there are so many duplo cars, the cars in the middle will become detached. This is nothing to complain about, my son just kept picking it up to put on new surfaces and we had to reconnect it each time.

I love the number blocks as well. This is practically a two for one. We will use the number blocks to try and understand quantity. Stacking one block with the #1, two blocks with the #2, etc and so forth.

This set works well on its own, or as you can tell by my review, it works fabulously paired with other duplo sets.

We have about seven different duplo sets and this is quite possibly my favorite. I'd recommend this one, the zoo set (full or baby ville size) and the pale of 71 pieces. Between these three sets you have hours of various building structures and lots of creative play.
on December 6, 2013
The perfect addition to your Duplo blocks. This set will expand your child's playing time with the highly sought after train pieces. After two months of play, this set is still being used every day. The number blocks have helped in learning and there are many counting activities you can create with them. A great buy for under $20.
on May 16, 2014
This train is a great addition to our huge box of Duplos. Out of all the toys we own our Duplos and Legos are the most used, the most well loved, the most versatile. Just today I babysat two additional little guys to my own five (seven kids total!) and the Duplos tub was put out and everyone had a blast. The trains are fantastic, though I do wish Duplos were a little more affordable. It seems like you pay a lot for these blocks compared to other toys that have a lot of buttons and gadgets and batteries and seem to be more complex.
on January 2, 2015
This is a really nice set and fun to play with. I think my husband has more fun with it sometimes. It is durable and well made. It has held up nicely for us in the time we have had it. The wheels roll nicely and everything fits together nicely. We had some budget blocks and they do not fit together near as nice as the Lego brand.

This train was released in early 2013 and has an MSRP of 19.99. The other Duplo train sets include: 10508 Deluxe Trains Set (a motorized engine, two freight cars, a bridge and figure-8 of track for $110) and 10507 My First Trains Set (a motorized steam-train with one passenger car and a circle of track for $45). While I very much like these larger sets, the Number Train is hard to beat for the price.

Cheers
on September 10, 2014
My 3 year old granddaughter was absolutely delighted with "Her first Legos". The size blocks were perfect for her little hands and the numbered blocks and train theme definitely caught her imagination. This is a great starter set for the little ones. Just wish there was more than one person.
on June 16, 2014
I especially like how easily the train cars hook together and stay together well. That has been an issue with many other trains we have bought. My grandson just turned 3 and is not too interested in building designs with the legos. He just wanted to play with the front part of the train. This may be a toy to put up until he is a little older but it looks great to me.
on March 3, 2015
This was just OK - I purchased it for a little 3 year old friend of mine as an additional Christmas present. There's not really much to it and he knew all of the numbers on it anyway - so I should have looked further. He tired of it quickly.
on January 30, 2014
My daughter is almost three and she loves playing with Duplo. When she opened this train she immediately loved it. She does like to put the numbers on in order, but she can also put her other blocks on there and make some trains of her own imagination.

Be warned, what you see is what you get. This set has the train, ten number blocks, a guy and a dog. Not the world's biggest set, but a good addition to her collection.