4.0 out of 5 stars for BIG legos but flimsy
Published on February 8, 2010 by MomofTwo

1.0 out of 5 stars Description shows Red & Green, But Received all Green
I bought three of these sets because they were supposed to be sets of red & green Duplo plates. What a received was all green plates. Both the pictures and description show red & green. I tried to exchange them, but it wouldn't let me, saying that Amazon was not the seller, when in fact Amazon was the seller! So, I had to return them.

Update: Ordered these...
Published 14 months ago by james calabrese

4.0 out of 5 stars for BIG legos but flimsy, February 8, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Education DUPLO Large Building Plates Set 4570269 (Toy)
We looked all over town for extra plates to use with BIG legos and our mega bloks. They come with small plates in the sets but no one had LARGE plates for the BIG legos, only for the tiny legos which are not compatible with the duplo series. I inquired with the company as one person said returns on this product were a hassle. The company responded quickly to assure me these are the ones compatible with the large legos. Upon receiving the product they were indeed what I expected but wow 15x15" looks a lot larger in person, as one reviewer stated, storing these can be pain, especially considering they are not a durable THICK base like the small plates that come in sets, no these are a very thin base, easy to snap and break. Will have to add "build lego table" to the honey-do list :). Other than the complaint that they are so flimsy the purpose is exactly what I was needing to expand our creative building!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plates, September 27, 2007
Bought 4 of these, they are great, makes it so my kids can build a city, or tower that is high, or whatever they want. I built an activity table that holds all 4 of them and they work great

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but needed a little altering before it was given to our 2 year old..., February 7, 2012
Melissa (Port St. Lucie, FL United States) - See all my reviews
When the plates arrived my 2 year old son was anxious to build a Lego City! They are thin and easily breakable for toddlers, so I picked up and sanded the edges of a sheet of plywood...then I spray glued the plates side by side to the plywood. After a few hours, it was dry but not permanent. This way they can be removed later and stuck onto a table as he gets older. His Lego City platform now sits on our coffee table at his level and is easily relocated to his room or anywhere else when necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great building plates!, January 6, 2012
My kids both just had birthdays (turning 6 and 4). They both love building, so we have had duplo blocks for years. However, we purchased these building plates for Christmas this year on a whim...and what a good choice it was!

These building plates are 5" larger than most. The standard size is 10 x 10 inches. These arrived in a timely fashion. They were just as described and my kids absolutely love them. My son loves to build cities on them. We have the Duplo Zoo and he usually builds the zoo on one plate and a city on the other plate. Then the car drives back and forth between the city and the zoo. I would highly recommend these building plates!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego Duplo Building Plates, June 11, 2009
K. Summers "kat" (Firestone, Colorado) - See all my reviews
The Lego Duplo Building Plates are the right product. They may need to be mounted on a hard surface so small children don't step on them and break them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego, what more can anyone say ..., February 15, 2010
Legos are an excellent toy. Our daughter loves them, especially dumping them out. base plates are holding up well and work well to provide a smooth easy surface when building on carpet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duplo Building Plate, December 30, 2011
I bought this product to use in my Pre-K classroom. A student's grandfather built us a Lego table and I needed the building plates. Although the plates are very thin, I have not had a problem yet. The plates are attached to the table with Velcro so I can take them off to clean. The students have no problem building with Duplo blocks on these plates.

1.0 out of 5 stars Description shows Red & Green, But Received all Green, July 8, 2013

Update: Ordered these again, thinking that the first order shipped the wrong product. Again, received all green plates (no red). So, it's being returned, again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as solid as they used to be, April 23, 2014
When I was little I had a duplo base plate. It was solid, me and my brother abused it but it held up. It felt rigid. Now I have a son and I needed a duplo base plate; these are not as solid as base plates were 20 years ago. They have quite a bit of flex in them. They are still usable, but the quality has gone down with time. For best use, these should be used on a solid surface (like a table), they have a bit too much flex to work well on thick carpet.

We use these with first builders. 4 duplo pegs fit under the square one first builder peg fits into. It works well. Having a base helps make big creations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and easy to break., April 10, 2014
Eric L Lau (Santa Clara, CA, US) - See all my reviews
I bought these for my two toddlers to build off since their DUPLO sets didn't come with a base. Given that this is a DUPLO product, I expected the plates to be built more sturdy because toddlers are destructive. These plates are made of thin plastic and will likely crack if stepped on...something I'm sure my kids will do. If they were priced closer to $10, then I would approve. These are just way too expensive for what it is.

LEGO Education DUPLO Large Building Plates Set 4570269