Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

on March 21, 2012
I love Harry Potter and the Lego games, so this was a must have! We have played both Star Wars Lego games and Lego Batman, and have had a lot of fun. Lego Harry Potter was by far my favorite! We played this game almost every evening for an hour or so, and beat the game in about a month. I am not a serious gamer, but I love the co-operative play of the Lego games, and all of the different "hidden" objects you have to find.

We recently purchased the newest Lego Harry Potter Game, years 5-7. For some reason the graphics were a lot nicer on the newer game. And there were not as many glitches as in the 1-4 game (getting to a point in the level where your character is stuck and cannot get out, or repeatedly falls off the edge and you can't do anything, etc). For that reason I would recommend it over this game, if you had to choose. But I say don't choose and play both!

After beating the game we have not played again, but I think if I can convince my husband I will try to play both Lego Harry Potter games again in the future--they are just too much fun! But if I could only play one over I would choose the 5-7 version.
on August 24, 2010
I love all kinds of video games, and I've always liked the LEGO server because you just play them. They don't require a ton of thought, but they definitely have their own challenges that everyone from adults to kids can still have fun playing. If you've played any of the other LEGO games, this one follows the same formula and uses the same techniques - collecting lego bits for "money", gold bricks for those who try to complete everything, red bricks to enhance your gameplay, the ability to play a level in a "free roam" style after playing it though during the campaign, and so forth. It's still variation on a theme, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But if you're a "completionist" like me, you might find this game frustrating. I've already run into several bugs that have prevented me from getting all of the gold bricks and, based on a few quick searches, I'm not alone. Apparently, many people have run into instances where the triggers to make a gold brick appear are missing or all of the triggers are activated but the bricks never appear.

It's still a nice change from fast-paces shooters, senseless button-mashers, or immersive RPGs; but those who love to get full trophies/achievements might end up being frustrated in the end.
on July 13, 2010
This game is a lot of fun to play and by far my favorite Lego game of the series, and I've played quite a few. However, I would wait until they have released a update/patch for the game as there are some major glitches.

The worst one in my opinion happens if you quit a level the first time playing it. If you get stuck in a level and want to retry or if you experience another glitch in a level and quit the level the game will then continue on in the story mode and skip the level altogether. The level doesn't even show up on the storyboard with the other levels that you can replay, it's just gone. So to complete the game you need to start over completely.

To me this makes the game unplayable right now as I don't want to restart and this is not the only glitch in the game.

Again, this is an awesome game, but if you're considering buying it, you should wait until they release a patch to fix the issues.
on February 20, 2016
If you liked the Harry Potter movies or books then you will love this game. It walks you through each of the first four Harry Potter movies. Throughout the game you try to collect money and unlock characters while trying to get past obstacles. After you complete a level you can go back and change which character you are. This can open up to unlimited fun. It doesn't take a long time to understand how to play, but it does take a long time to unlock everything. The game can be fun for all ages. I know 5 year olds that love it and I know 30 year olds that love it. The game mechanics are very good. It doesn't take up a lot of memory and it also hasn't froze on me. It is a very well designed game that works just as good as one would expect, maybe even better. Overall I would recommend anyone getting this or another game in the Lego franchise. They are all designed very similar and all work great. The only thing to caution you on is make sure you realize that you are getting the first half of the full game. This isn't all of the Harry Potter years, this is just years 1-4. It is a great game that I don't regret buying at all.
on January 31, 2012
I've got an 8 year old daughter. I'm an avid gamer and the two of us love playing this one together.
I only see my daughter every other weekend and so I try and find things that we can both enjoy doing together and this game is just a perfect example of how parents and their kids can mix their hobbies and generally have fun together.
Before this I had to play Barbie with her so it was a major step up for a parent.

The game requires co-operation and communication to work together. You'll feel like a team and have a lovely experience. I recommend this game to anyone who has a son or a daughter aged 6+

Years 5-7 even improve on this formula but I still recommend finishing this one at least once before going for the second one (plus the second one is more expensive since it's newer).

This is one of those cases where a computer game has a positive influence on a kid, go out there and buy a copy of this game. I find it very unlikely that anyone would be disappointed.
on December 25, 2010
My husband and I rented this game to play during a span of cold, rainy weather a couple of weeks ago. We are in our 30's with no children. We had so much fun playing the co-op mode that we played each night we had it for hours and hours, not even realizing how much time had passed. When the time came for us to return the game, I went and purchased it. If you or your gamer is a fan of the Harry Potter movies, this is suprisingly fun. Goes well with the movie plots for years 1-4. If you've ever played a Lego video game before, you know what to expect. Great fun, good challenge, and loads of laughs. I don't think you would be disappointed!
on March 14, 2011
I purchased this as a game my wife and I could play together, thus far we've played through every Lego game (aside from Rock Band) that has come out. We enjoy the games but the format for each one doesn't change. The controls get a little tighter with each one, a little more fluid and a little easier, but overall, it's just a reskin of the last one.

This time around it's Harry Potter and the story, pantomime and wandering around Hogwarts make the game a lot of fun for any Harry Potter fan. Being able to play so many of the characters makes for a fun experience, and making Ron beat on Hermoine was a weird, cathartic experience for me.

If you're a fan of the series, get the game. If you love the Lego games, get the game. If you're one but not the other, maybe stay away.

Pros:
More Lego!
Harry Potter

Cons:
More Lego!
on June 23, 2014
I bought this game (23 year old male) as a game to play with my significant other. I have been playing video games since I was young, and this game was something I thought would interest her (since it's Harry Potter), but also be able to play together on the local co-op. We are about halfway through this game, and are looking forward to years 5-7. The only drawback I see is that the characters don't speak real words (more like just sounds), but yet that makes it more fun. I think people any age could enjoy this game if they enjoy the Lego world or the Harry Potter world.
on September 12, 2014
I bought this for a child who loved the game. It takes you through the Lego version of the Harry Potter movies 1 - 4 years at Hogwarts. My child and I, having seen all the movies, enjoyed the Lego take on it. Unlocking new characters and finding new spells becomes addicting.

The game took us about a week or so to beat so it has a decent amount of gameplay. It has some replay value as there are secrets you can only find if you have done almost everything.
on March 25, 2016
Overall I really enjoy the game. You have to search for and earn new characters and unlike lego star wars, you and another player can walk a pretty good distance away from each other without " pulling ". The problems come after you're about halfway through the game. Hogwarts is an impossible labyrinth of rooms that you have no way of knowing where to go or if there are any other accomplishments to discover after the lessons are over. I get so frustrated trying to go through the castle. Also, the game has glitches. I was totally stuck inside the basilisk room with no way out. We also had to unlock griphook twice. It's a lot of fun but very tricky if you want to unlock everything.