4.0 out of 5 stars Great game once you get past the workarounds and hardware requirements
Best (and simplest) LEGO game yet and suitable for all ages.

Excellent tech support (and you most likely will need it). Be sure your machine WELL EXCEEDS the basic hardware requirements required for the game to function properly. I would even recommend that it surpasses recommended hardware specs for a trouble-free gaming experience as this game makes some...
Published on July 7, 2010 by Wighthouse65

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy version and not correctly advertized
I'm trying to divide my review into two parts: 1) The game. 2) The bugs.

1) The game. The game is an innovative take on the standard Lego game engine (which I have been used to from the Star Wars versions), with a much more fluid game interface and transition giving it a stronger feel of a cohesive world. I'm not that familiar with the Harry Potter story, but...
Published on July 5, 2010 by Nobody

‹ Previous | 15 6 710 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Product didn't work, May 9, 2013
I was excited when I received it, but it doesn't work. I tried to intall it and uninstall it several times, but it hasn't worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....., February 21, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I have the games on my Wii, but i much prefer playing them on my computer, plus their in my Steam account library so i can redownload them if anything goes wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, February 10, 2013
Game crashes in year three. Tried all the work arounds I can find to no avail. Hard to believe Amazon continues to sell a broken product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Play, February 5, 2013
This game is ok but it is hard to play compared to other lego games out there. Stqar Wars and Batman are far better

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter in the Lego fun style, January 28, 2013
I think that being a fan of Harry Potter you must play this game, it is cool to roam over the castle. The lego fun style also makes the story a little different :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Game okay but 3 button mouse NOT required, January 16, 2013
I love this game and play it on our Wii, but I've had surgery recently and I will have to have more surgery, so I bought this to play on my laptop. The game is fun, a little glitchy, but nothing that causes major problems. Every once in a while it gets stuck and the characters just stand around. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, then CANCEL, and the game returns right back where I was with the characters moving just fine. So, I'd give the game itself 4 stars, but ....

The System Requirements descriptions lists a 3 button mouse as a minimum requirement. So, we got one, and wasted an extra $32 on this game. It's a game, and I enjoy it. I also bought Years 5-7 at the same time, so I hoped I'd be able to use the mouse there as well. I don't like spending a lot of money on PC games, but this was one I knew I'd use, so I was willing to spend it. I'm angry though, that I wasted my money on a mouse that I don't need and can't now return.

***ADDITIONAL COMMENT: When I contacted Amazon to complain about the mistake in the description, they did respond with a good will credit, so Amazon's reputation remains solid with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glitches impossible to pass, December 29, 2012
There are 2 glitches that are virtually impossible to get past. Because of this you cannot finish the game. I was very upset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, November 6, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
this game is super cool i love harry potter and enjoy all the things that lego has done with it in this game i espesialy like the funny things they added in the game

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., January 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is fun. It's great for all ages, If you like the other Lego games you will love this one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Harry Potter Video Game So Far, January 5, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'll be honest, the development of video games for the Harry Potter stories have been utterly disappointing. Though developers are strictly limited by what they can and cannot do and are not permitted to change or adapt the story in any way, I firmly believe that it is possible to make a fun Harry Potter game. Where others have failed, Lego Harry Potter has succeeded.

The Good:
Most people will notice that the game itself is quite humorous and is able to adapt the Harry Potter story in slight ways. You are able to explore nearly every nook and cranny of Hogwarts and play out the Harry Potter stories first-hand. Though not as exciting as it seems, you can play as nearly all the characters in the Harry Potter series, including Hagrid and Voldemort. Perhaps the best part of the game is the music that changes and adapts depending on the situation or area you are present in. This really helps alter your mood as a player. Do not be surprised if the songs become stuck in your head! Finally, this is a long, long game. Expect to spend hours on the different stories alone, and days to finish it 100%.

The Bad:
Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive. You will go over the same areas again and again, utilizing different spells or to go back and collect items you passed over before. Though this prolongs initial game play length, it kills the replay value for this title. You do have the freedom to continue around Hogwarts once you finish the game, though there seems to be very little to do. As I mentioned earlier, you can take on different characters, but there is very little reason to do so.

The Ugly:
If you have read any review on this title, you will know that the aiming system is seriously flawed and frustrating. Another frustrating aspect is just how difficult some items are to find. Even with upgrades that will point out where the items are, they often give you the wrong idea and can guide you into the wrong area.

So do I recommend spending your hard earned money on this game? Absolutely! I believe that with the many hours you spend playing and completing it to 100%, you earn every dime you spent. For me personally, I played all the levels to completion and then quit. A few months later, I picked it up again and decided to finish it 100%. I cannot even fathom how many hours I spent playing this game.

*Player Advice* I wish someone had told me this earlier, but do not wait until later to use the red bricks! This will seriously help prevent frustration!

‹ Previous | 15 6 710 | Next ›