on September 13, 2012
First off, this game activates on steam when purchased as a Digital Download. No intrusive securom DRM or anything else so you just need to put in your code, download, and play. The physical-disc copy of this game DOES use securom as do several other websites offering it as a digital download, so this is something to bear in mind when deciding what way to purchase.

Having played older LEGO games on consoles, it was very nice to be able to play in true HD (1920x1200 in my case) instead of 720p or lower. The benefits of a decent machine w/good hard drive etc.. are very fast load times and better graphics. I have not tried the keyboard support, but game works fine with an xbox 360 controller. The game also has local and multiplayer co-op which are nice pluses.

This game is the start of a new trend to streamline LEGO games and make them more cinematic. What this means is that the puzzles are still there, but less intentionally obtuse and won't have you running around scratching your head trying to figure out what you're supposed to do next. They're still there, they're just better integrated to flow with the storyline better instead of slow you down. Everything is intended to move you along quickly. There are plenty of cut scenes, which are stock full of typical LEGO humor. It manages to keep the feel very well that you're both playing a game and watching the movies (especially if you know the movies well already).

I was able to play through the whole game without any bugs or glitches (good thing since PC versions of games don't necessarily get the same care as their console counterparts).

Some things that could be construed as negatives, but that I didn't mind:
*Hogwarts is the same as Years 1-4. There's different classroom activities, but the castle and layout in game are same as the first one. Some small differences, but basically the same. What's different are the story missions, which follow the plot of the movies very closely so you never feel like you're wandering around aimlessly like in some prior LEGO games.

*Little to no use of broomsticks. There's a "racing scene" as one of the first missions using the broomsticks, but it's basically nonexistent after that and the Quidditch pitch is closed off. I was a little disappointed they didn't do anything with the Gryffindor/Slytherin match in Half-Blood Prince, as that was a powerful scene in the books. The movie added the match as an afterthought though, so they can't be faulted too much for leaving it out.

*Spells are largely similar to those in the previous game. There are a few new mechanics, but it's more like a continuation of the previous game for the rest of the movies than a sequel in that sense. And it is very focused on making you feel like you're in the movies (a good thing for me at least).

*There are a few things that aren't well documented (like ability to roll be pressing A+X in the direction your character is facing - important in one mission), but mostly you should be right at home if you played the earlier game.

*A little shorter than Years 1-4, but a large part of that is better design so that puzzles aren't distracting from the plot progression. Every puzzle has a clear story-based progression goal, where in some earlier LEGO games the levels didn't necessarily have much to do with the plot beyond basic level look. Some people may not like this, I personally found I enjoyed the game a lot more this way.

----
Slightly unrelated:
They're taking the LEGO/movie thing a step further in their upcoming game, LEGO Lord of the Rings by using the actual vocals from the movies, which should be very impressive.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This Lego game is a worthy successor to the previous Lego Harry Potter, and offers hours and hours of entertaining (almost exhaustive) gameplay.

As before, the game is beautifully designed, and someone put a lot of thought into the little humorous touches that will keep little ones entertained even without being too scarred by the often extremely dark final chapters. For instance, when certain beloved characters die, the scenes are always really both funny and poignant (For instance, with one much-loved character memorably disappearing without his legs, then reappearing with an embarrassed grin to get help popping his legs back on... THEN he dies AGAIN only with a wink... you had to be there...)

The real genius as always in LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 is the replay value, especially when you are able to add Dark characters (and "Key" characters) to your arsenal of characters, so that you can then go back and access entirely new areas or prizes. The earliest Dark character I added was Bellatrix (who becomes accessible in Year 7 down near Hagrid's Hut, or by default very very late in Book 7). Each main character offers a unique talent combination -- Ron has the special De-Illuminator, Hermione has her endless Bag, Luna has the Spectre-specs (which are accessible to all eventually), Harry has his Cape, and Arthur Weasley, meanwhile, can fix any magical ordinary object emitting blue sparks with his blue wrench, which is really funny and true to character.

And let me tell you, replaying several scenes with the hilarious and permanently sneering (or shivering) Bellatrix is so funny and worthwhile. She's always startling at something that isn't there (hellooo, she's crazy!), yowling, smirking, or grinning, and it's really funny.

Replaying with certain characters means you also get all these weird but awesome undreamed-scenarios! You haven't lived until you've experienced the surreal buddy trip of Arthur Weasley with Bellatrix for instance (or watched Bellatrix mow a lawn for extra points, scowling all the while). She's just so darned funny and smartly designed from a character standpoint that she totally made the game for me. But ALL the character designs are adorable, from Harry dropping his glasses and mooning over Ginny, to Hermione flirting with Ron and Neville cutely carrying around his beloved plant while blowing kisses to Luna (always my favorite).

My criticisms of the game are few. Keep in mind that the Steam download can be SLOOOOOOOW, which is frustrating, and manipulating two characters constantly gets kind of old -- I would have given my eyeteeth for an 'autofollow' because, in many many scenarios, your 'main' character cannot leave a scene because the other 'following' character is stuck miles back in some hallway or stairway.

Character controls are okay for the most part, although they do get tricky in a few fights in which you have to run two characters at once. I never quite got used to this and was never very good at it -- button-mashing for two characters at once -- but it doesn't happen that often so I was able to get past it.

A few words of advice -- SAVE SAVE SAVE your money. Don't buy silly spells at first -- they don't do anything and can actually get really annoying because they add several seconds to your spells if you aren't paying attention (I bought the Slug-spell by accident early on and it was a pain for the entire game, because I had to click through it to get to my default spells, and so many times instead, I'd sluggify someone, then have to wait for them to stop puking slugs. Aghgh!)

DO make sure you grab all the red bricks you can. And, whenever you can, go back and purchase those red bricks from the upper room at the Leaky Cauldron so that you can start multiplying your dollars ASAP! You'll need millions for Bellatrix, but this is easy to do if you just keep buying those red bricks whenever possible. (Contrary to rumor, Narcissa is NOT a Dark character.) Meanwhile, the first "Key" character you'll find is Mrs. Cole, and you can find her in the back of the Cafe in London (you will need a Dark Character to access that area).

Make sure you not only buy your red brick extras, but that you also 'enable' them ASAP by pausing, then clicking on 'Extras' and then turning Red Brick features on or off, going down the list. Don't forget to check out Knockturn Alley, and always listen when you enter a new area -- many times, you'll either hear a 'fairy-like' bell sound (that means a gold brick is nearby), or you'll hear a student struggling (each student you rescue will result in another gold brick).

Don't panic if you can't open or find everything at first. By the middle of the game, however, you'll be more comfortable and will have fast and easy ways to jump back and forth from the Leaky Cauldron to London, to the Wilderness (Tent) to Hogwarts, to the back paths, forest, and Hogsmeade.

Have fun! And have a glass of butterbeer on me...
on September 8, 2012
One of the best lego game's out there.
if you get PC download you get a key for steam.
not sure about box game (retail).
on May 29, 2013
Very few PC games allow for local co-op (split screen), however this game does which is great. I've played most of the LEGO games on the Xbox 360, but it's nice to have this in my collection to pick up and play whenever I'm bored. Great game, lots of fun to be had with you and a friend.
on July 10, 2013
I really like the game, it's fun to play with Harry Potter since I'm a big fan.
But I have some notes about it:
1- The storey line is more like the movies not the real novel which is abridged in a different way
2- The control Keys keeps re-setting whenever you restart the game, It's not cool to spend the first 5 to 10 minutes costomizing your control keys, and remembering what have you assigned the last time.
3- I'm not sure about the game, (I did not finish it yet so it might be an option at the end), but aren't we supposed to be able to use the charachters we unlocked while playing?? the characters toggle keys don't work. Lots of stuff that are unlocked don't seem to be usable at the moment!! is that normal, I spent lots of lego points buying things spells and charcters but don't seem available while playing
on December 6, 2012
EDIT: After doing some research, I've found that it's possible to hook up an Xbox 360 controller to your pc for smoother game play. Unfortunately, I don't have one but if you do, your pc Lego game should play spectacularly. I've also read from many reviewers that the graphics on the pc are much more crisp than on the Xbox or Playstation versions (it also costs much less).

---- Original Review ----
The first Lego video game I played was Pirates of the Caribbean on the Xbox 360. And I loved it. The humor was fantastic, the game always kept me interested, the graphics were magnificent, and you get to play dozens of different characters, most of whom have their own unique abilities to help you get through the level. And, as with all Lego video games, it's primarily a puzzle/adventure game with a relatively open world to explore which are features I like.

Since I loved the Lego Pirates game so much, I decided to buy the Lego Harry Potter games. (I have Years 1-4 for the Wii and Years 5-7 for the PC). Now for the PC review:

Why just three stars? While the general silliness and stunning graphics are very much present in Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 for PC, the game play itself was clunky at best. I'm not referring to the quality of the puzzles or the story (both of which are excellent); I'm talking about controlling your characters. I don't get motion sick, but I did find myself getting dizzy from the choppy way the characters move on screen. Their movements - partly to blame from my poor handling of the controls, I admit - are not as smooth as they could be because the player is restricted to using keyboard controls only. Even if you go into control settings to change the commands, you'll never have the option to transfer controls to your mouse. It would've been immensely better if Warner Bros. had given us the option to use our mouse to control point of view and to cast spells. But alas, we can't.

Not only are the movements awkward, but certain tasks like spell casting become difficult with just keyboard commands. If I want to blast apart a nearby shrub, I have to hold my H key and then tap, tap, tap my left or right keys to target what I need. It's tedious at best. Much of the time I end up accidentally shooting spells at innocent NPCs like students and ministry wizards. It doesn't hurt them, but it's frustrating to see how often you miss.

Point of view is also distorted without a way to independently control it. Sometimes it's difficult to tell which way your character will move. While it seems obvious, I found myself accidentally running into a lot of walls and immovable objects because I couldn't really tell I was going to run into them. That's just because of how the scene is presented on the screen.

One last thing: the loading screens last a surprisingly long time. I'd even have enough time to pick up a book and read a few pages before the game started up again. This may be due to my computer, but I thought I'd include it as fair warning. If this happens, try not to get frustrated. There are many 3D elements that need to load. I promise, your game will resume eventually.

If you're planning to get the Lego games, don't feel disheartened by my review. The game is wonderful and well worth the time and money so long as the controls are smooth. I'm sure with enough practice, the movements on the PC will become decently tolerable. However, in my personal opinion, if you have multiple platforms on which to play these games, I'd definitely go for the Xbox version. The game is simply designed for those controls. Even the Wii controls are awkward at times. But the PC is by far the worst.

ABOUT ME: I'm a 23-year old female and I'm a causal gamer. My preferences are games with vibrant, sometimes cartoon-y aesthetics, puzzle/adventure/RPG/strategy elements, and games that are fast to learn.

OTHER GAMES I'D RECOMMEND for PC: The Sims 3, Worms Ultimate Mayhem, Pirate101 (online MMORPG), Puzzle Pirates (online MMORPG), Spore, the Chocolatier series, and Emerald City Confidential.
on December 15, 2012
I really liked this game but the controls take some getting used to.
If you are prone to headaches or seizures avoid this game, the menu options flash quickly.
It's borderline irritating but other than that it's a good game as one would expect from a Lego game.
on March 19, 2014
I love this game :) I was not expecting too much considering the price was so low (got it on black friday) but I find this game the perfect way to pass my time with. I find it highly entertaining.
on February 26, 2014
had to get again for repeat fun with my friends, Must have for fans of all ages, Hogwarts is waiting.
on January 10, 2014
i love harry potter and harry potter lego version has so more comady to it with some of the funny stuff they do but wish they had voices because if this game came out around when there doing voices in the lego games then it be a even more asome game