LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 - Xbox 360
Platform: Xbox 360Change
Price:$17.49+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on March 21, 2012
I love Harry Potter and the Lego games, so this was a must have! We have played both Star Wars Lego games and Lego Batman, and have had a lot of fun. Lego Harry Potter was by far my favorite! We played this game almost every evening for an hour or so, and beat the game in about a month. I am not a serious gamer, but I love the co-operative play of the Lego games, and all of the different "hidden" objects you have to find.

We recently purchased the newest Lego Harry Potter Game, years 5-7. For some reason the graphics were a lot nicer on the newer game. And there were not as many glitches as in the 1-4 game (getting to a point in the level where your character is stuck and cannot get out, or repeatedly falls off the edge and you can't do anything, etc). For that reason I would recommend it over this game, if you had to choose. But I say don't choose and play both!

After beating the game we have not played again, but I think if I can convince my husband I will try to play both Lego Harry Potter games again in the future--they are just too much fun! But if I could only play one over I would choose the 5-7 version.
on December 25, 2010
My husband and I rented this game to play during a span of cold, rainy weather a couple of weeks ago. We are in our 30's with no children. We had so much fun playing the co-op mode that we played each night we had it for hours and hours, not even realizing how much time had passed. When the time came for us to return the game, I went and purchased it. If you or your gamer is a fan of the Harry Potter movies, this is suprisingly fun. Goes well with the movie plots for years 1-4. If you've ever played a Lego video game before, you know what to expect. Great fun, good challenge, and loads of laughs. I don't think you would be disappointed!
on July 13, 2010
This game is a lot of fun to play and by far my favorite Lego game of the series, and I've played quite a few. However, I would wait until they have released a update/patch for the game as there are some major glitches.

The worst one in my opinion happens if you quit a level the first time playing it. If you get stuck in a level and want to retry or if you experience another glitch in a level and quit the level the game will then continue on in the story mode and skip the level altogether. The level doesn't even show up on the storyboard with the other levels that you can replay, it's just gone. So to complete the game you need to start over completely.

To me this makes the game unplayable right now as I don't want to restart and this is not the only glitch in the game.

Again, this is an awesome game, but if you're considering buying it, you should wait until they release a patch to fix the issues.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 24, 2010
I love all kinds of video games, and I've always liked the LEGO server because you just play them. They don't require a ton of thought, but they definitely have their own challenges that everyone from adults to kids can still have fun playing. If you've played any of the other LEGO games, this one follows the same formula and uses the same techniques - collecting lego bits for "money", gold bricks for those who try to complete everything, red bricks to enhance your gameplay, the ability to play a level in a "free roam" style after playing it though during the campaign, and so forth. It's still variation on a theme, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

But if you're a "completionist" like me, you might find this game frustrating. I've already run into several bugs that have prevented me from getting all of the gold bricks and, based on a few quick searches, I'm not alone. Apparently, many people have run into instances where the triggers to make a gold brick appear are missing or all of the triggers are activated but the bricks never appear.

It's still a nice change from fast-paces shooters, senseless button-mashers, or immersive RPGs; but those who love to get full trophies/achievements might end up being frustrated in the end.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 31, 2012
I've got an 8 year old daughter. I'm an avid gamer and the two of us love playing this one together.
I only see my daughter every other weekend and so I try and find things that we can both enjoy doing together and this game is just a perfect example of how parents and their kids can mix their hobbies and generally have fun together.
Before this I had to play Barbie with her so it was a major step up for a parent.

The game requires co-operation and communication to work together. You'll feel like a team and have a lovely experience. I recommend this game to anyone who has a son or a daughter aged 6+

Years 5-7 even improve on this formula but I still recommend finishing this one at least once before going for the second one (plus the second one is more expensive since it's newer).

This is one of those cases where a computer game has a positive influence on a kid, go out there and buy a copy of this game. I find it very unlikely that anyone would be disappointed.
on January 27, 2011
My boyfriend got me this game for Christmas as I am a huge Harry Potter fan and I expected to play most of it on my own. However, he picked up a controller somewhere around level 3 in Sorcerer's Stone and has not stopped playing with me since. The amount you can do (learn new spells; unlock extras; become werewolves, giants, and rats) and the detail placed in each level is really amazing. Also, this game gets you thinking: there are plenty of puzzles and mysteries to solve.

In addition, something that is much better about the multi-player option in this LEGO game than others is the split-screen option. You and your partner can be on opposite sides of a large room instead of always having to be together (in LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Indiana Jones, if one player got too far away, he would either drag the other along or the game would make him appear in a spot next to the stationary player).

As with the other LEGO games, though, it is almost a requirement to have seen the movies first. There is little instruction (and no verbal instruction at all) so you must either figure it out by blowing everything up or remembering how the characters solved their dilemma from the films.

There is also at least one glitch (we once had to start the game over because we exited a level before finishing it), but I did not encounter as many as I was warned about online. Perhaps we got lucky, but it was still fun even if we had to start again.

However, overall this game is very good and tons of fun. I just recommend you have a Potter fan in the room to help you out.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 27, 2010
This is a really fun game. They did a good job of presenting the story in LEGO form, and it's got the same goofiness present in previous LEGO games. If you aren't intimately familiar with the source material, there are some parts that may be confusing, but that's always been true.
on January 24, 2012
I really enjoyed this game! I don't consider myself a "gamer" so I am pretty skeptical when it comes to finding a video game I think I will like. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies so I obviously think that you have to enjoy those to like this game. I like how it was a puzzle solving game and the detail of the scenery and characters is great. I watched the each movie right before I played the level and it was amazing how much detail the game included in every aspect. The controls took a little while to get used to but that could be in part because I don't play video games very often. There are a ton of levels as well as side challenges that are fun to explore. After you beat each level it opens it up for Free Play and you can go back and play using more characters which is pretty cool. Overall for the price I really liked this game and spent much longer on it than I have any other game before.
on March 14, 2011
I purchased this as a game my wife and I could play together, thus far we've played through every Lego game (aside from Rock Band) that has come out. We enjoy the games but the format for each one doesn't change. The controls get a little tighter with each one, a little more fluid and a little easier, but overall, it's just a reskin of the last one.

This time around it's Harry Potter and the story, pantomime and wandering around Hogwarts make the game a lot of fun for any Harry Potter fan. Being able to play so many of the characters makes for a fun experience, and making Ron beat on Hermoine was a weird, cathartic experience for me.

If you're a fan of the series, get the game. If you love the Lego games, get the game. If you're one but not the other, maybe stay away.

Pros:
More Lego!
Harry Potter

Cons:
More Lego!
on June 18, 2011
First, I would like to tell all Lego video game fans, that this is far different from any other Lego game. It has magic, which as you have probably guessed, functions just like The Force in "Lego Star Wars", but the downside to this is that, you almost completely rely on that in levels, as opposed to fighting enemies, or solving fun co-op puzzles. A good thing is that the story has been excellently translated into the world of Lego. This is the best Harry Potter video game, despite minor flaws, so, I recommend it highly to all Potterfans, and Legomaniacs alike!