Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes - Nintendo 3DS
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Video Game|Change

on October 27, 2013
I'd like to start out by saying that I know that 3DS lego games are not like the consoles and I'm fine with that. I've played lego batman 2, lego lord of the rings and lego chima on the 3DS and loved them. They aren't fully open world but they still have a story and actual game to play through.

This game has to be the most stripped down lego game I've ever seen. As if they didn't put ANY effort into it at all. If you've played other lego games, IT'S NOT LIKE THAT AT ALL! Lego batman 2 for example had about 15 levels but each took you around 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer if you tried to collect everything and had tons of replay value by opening new areas with new characters. In this game, instead of giving you 15 levels that you work your way through, there are 15 levels broken down into 3 specific missions (one is always fighting some kind of boss). They restrict you to a certain area, there is no platforming, no lego puzzles or building like you'd expect. It plays much more like a beat em up where you're on a field with a bunch of enemies attacking you. Each mission can be completed with 5-8 minutes. Each mission has different objectives that is suppose to make it worth replaying but the levels are so short, it's not even worth it. One of those objectives is to complete the mission in 90 seconds, just to give you an idea of how short they are. I even beat one of the "bosses" with one power move in about a minute. I'm not someone that rushes through games. I like to take my time. Lego Batman 2 took me about 12 hours to play through. Unless you're a completionist who is intent on replaying each mission multiple times for the objectives, you could probably finish this entire game in one 3-4 hour sitting.

There's no switching between characters like you could do in other lego games. Each mission has you playing as one specific character. You have a partner but they are only called in for special moves and aren't playable in that mission. The only positives about this game is that it's graphically gorgeous and fully voice acted which is a move back in the right direction from lego city undercover, but you hardly see these are cutscenes are only at the beginning and sometimes end of each level but don't last longer than a minute or two.

I'm not expecting a console port, but I am expecting a full game at the very least. This feels like you're getting a short demo of the different missions from the console or like it should be offered as a different game mode, not the story! Aside from replaying to complete some objectives (ie: get through a level with no damage, use a special power move), it's a huge disappointment and step back from the handheld lego games we're all use to on the 3DS. I was really looking forward to this game and can't believe what a let down it is.
on November 11, 2013
I never thought I'd get rid of a Lego game within two weeks until I played this game.

Long story short, this game is a lobotomized version of a Lego game. If you played ANY of the Lego games previous to this, you will sorely miss the following:

--More than two characters in Free Play Mode (and only one of your choosing).
--More than one character in the first playthrough of each level.
--Quality cutscenes.
--Build your own character.
--A free-roaming "base" to meander between levels (like the catina in Lego Star Wars).
--The ability to jump.
--In-depth levels.
--Minikits that you can build.
--Death only causing you to lose studs.

You will also be treated to the following:

--Quirky controls that are not always responsive.
--"Challenges" (i.e. Achievements) that are requirements (more on this later)
--Glitches that will cause you to need to play the same level again, and again, and again to get past the glitch. I played a level 4 times to overcome glitches; one knocked me off the screen through a wall, one had me "stuck" in a wall, and the fourth one glitched at the end of the level.
--Cutscenes that do not pause the action. Yes, you can take hits while a cutscene takes place and nearly die at the end.
--Levels that take 40-120 seconds to complete.
--Low quality audio and video for level cutscenes.
--A story that is incomplete due to removed scenes.
--Each death makes you restart the level.
--An overhead-only view.

Now for more details!

==Levels==
The levels are broken down by location. One overall location (like the Baxter Building) gets three separate levels, each with their own Challenges and a "required" character (like Tony Stark in the Stark Tower level).

The level setup is great if you only have a few minutes of gametime, but you can play through 2-4 locations (meaning 6-12 levels) in about 30 minutes if you're taking your time and collecting every stud, killing every enemy, and finding all the minikits.
Of course, this means you'll have to play the level again, because of the Challenges.

==Challenges==
Each level has a collection of 10 "Challenges," such as "Do not use a tag move," "Beat the level as Bruce Banner," and, the most common one: "Complete the level in X seconds"; the longest I've seen was 130 seconds. There is also a Multi-Challenge, where you need to complete the level in a certain period of time and meet two other criteria, ranging from not taking any hits to not harming a single enemy (which is a pain when the enemies actually kill themselves, causing you to fail this goal).

Now, this wouldn't be a huge problem normally, but with the setup we are given, it's a pain. First, you don't know the challenges until you are in the level, so you can't choose a character best suited to complete the level in that time without taking a hit and killing six foes with super moves (yes, there's a multi-challenge like that). This will mean you'll either complete the level or restart it immediately with a "proper" character.

It is also VERY rare for you to complete all of the challenges with your required character. For example, one level requires you to kill multiple enemies with Tag Moves, but the default tag character is Spider-Man, who cannot deal damage with his tag move. This means you'll have to play it again.

Other levels require someone with telekinesis to save Stan Lee, the Hulk to break down a door for a Red Brick, and Iron Man to destroy boxes for the Minikit. As you can only choose one of the characters to play as (the other is "required"), you will need to play this level a minimum of three times to unlock everything.

Normally, I wouldn't gripe about this as it promotes replay value, but they made the Challenges worthless and required. 2-3 Challenges per level (remember: there's 10 per level for 30 per location) will give you something worthwhile, like another character or a card for the StreetPass based card game. Otherwise they give you nothing . . .

Besides a Gold Brick, that is.

==Gold Bricks==
From my experience, Gold Bricks were great to unlock. You can get enough to unlock secret levels, new characters, and other crazy extras!

In this game, they are REQUIRED to continue the game. You will hit a point where you didn't get enough Gold Bricks due to the character setup in order to continue on with the game. I was 3/4 of the way through the game when I hit the snag of needing 230 gold bricks, forcing me to buy new characters and replay levels to try to unlock each one.

Basically, the game is telling you to replay all of the old levels and complete the challenges so you can actually beat the game.

==The End Result==
I quit the game with two locations remaining. The tediousness of playing the same level for the sixth time due to glitches, cheap deaths, or just because I forgot that only Jean Grey can save Stan Lee but I remembered that Hawkeye is the only one that can open the door to the two hidden enemies needed for the other achievement became too much for me.

I'm actually kicking myself over buying this for the 3DS, as the PC and console versions look SO much better as they kept what makes all of the other Lego games great.

Lesson Learned: do NOT buy this for the 3DS unless you want forced repeated gameplay and multiple steps AWAY from what makes a good Lego game, or a lobotomized version of what could be a great game.
on November 2, 2013
I'm 29 years old and I've been playing handheld video games since Gameboy. I've owned every handheld Nintendo system and several games for each one. I have never, until now, even thought about trying to get a refund for a game. This game isn't bad like a normal bad game. This game seems like they just didn't put any effort into making it. I've played other Lego titles on DS and 3DS, so I know they're not super advanced games, but they were fun. This game isn't fun. It's not even really much of a game. I don't really have much to say about it, because it's really not much of anything. Yeah, you have tons of characters you can use. That's why i was excited about this game. The thing is, no matter what character you are, the gameplay is the same bland button mashing bore. There are no puzzles, there's no platforming, no hunting around for things. An example of a game with more advanced gameplay would be space invaders. I assumed it would be at least somewhat as good as Batman 2, but it's not even in the same ballpark. Please do yourself a favor and don't buy this game. It's not what you expect.
on November 5, 2013
I am a big fan of the Lego games, and especially enjoy them on the go, via my 3DS XL. Like other reviewers, I understand and have come to expect that the portable version of these games is not always as "complete" as their console cousins. Regardless, I must agree that this latest installment in the Lego franchise suffers a great deal.

The first thing I noticed when beginning Lego Marvel was the markedly bad graphics. Admittedly, this is my first outing on a made-for-3DS Lego game. (My other games were Lego Star Wars and Lego Pirates for DS and Lego Batman and Lego Indiana Jones for PSP.) Even so, the graphics for this game seemed like a DS port rather than taking full advantage of the 3DS's great graphic capability. To make the problem even worse, the game looks stretched out on my XL screen. Being a brand new release, I expected a lot more out of this game visually, and was really excited to see crisp, 3D capable cinematics. There's another dud. Not a single 3D scene to be found.

Next--and even worse than the poor graphics--is the gameplay. You feel constricted to do what Lego games have always been about--exploring and scratching that completionist itch. With the inability to even jump, I feel pushed along and really unable to enjoy myself. Each mission feels more like a chore than a joy, which is a shame.

The nail in the coffin for me is the lack of what I call the Command Center. In Lego Star Wars, you had the Cantina. In Pirates, you had the Port. In Marvel, you just get menus. This really kills the personality of the game and makes it seem even more like a checklist than a solid, enjoyable Lego game. Quite a break from tradition.

In closing, sub-standard graphics, unsatisfying gameplay, and lack of personality really kill this game for me. Regardless, I will probably try to beat it and unlock all the characters and powerups before trading it in for my next--hopefully much more enjoyable--3DS game.
on January 19, 2014
Th product did meet my expectations in every way.
Nice on everything.
Great price. Cheaper than going to the stores.
Would buy it again.
Do recommend. Especially if into all the "Lego world. "
on July 28, 2014
It is a significantly easier version of lego games. Although it is a neat handheld adaptation and different from the other ones for the PS3 and Wii (for example), it is not as clean cut or challenging.
on August 18, 2015
I purchased this LEGO: Marvel Super Heroes for 3DS for my son because he loves superheros and LEGOs and we didn't have a Wii U at the time and of course he really wanted to play it! It was definatly a hit and after playing it myself I can see the appeal ;-) This is one of his games that he plays often and I am very happy with this purchase. Your superhero LEGO fan will probably love it...
on December 28, 2013
It's hard trying to find games for my five year old that aren't violent. this is a super hero game, so there is some violence. But they are legos figures and no blood or bad words are involved. It's a good game for a child that loves super heroes but not violent like the normal super hero games out there.
on July 5, 2014
Bought this for an adult family member for the 3DS. It's an okay game for adults, entertained him for maybe a few hours and completed in a day. I wouldn't recommend this for an adult gamer or an avid gamer. If you're new to video games or a young child you might find it amusing and an easy start. Other Lego superhero games have been very good in the past, but this one does not really meet the normal standard.
on September 27, 2015
I've never played a Lego game such as this. You basically will need to compete at least 10 challenges to obtain 10 gold bricks in order to "purchase" the next level. Not to mention no time to explore each world because you have a ticking time-bomb on your hands. So bloody lame! Which Warner bros college dropout designed this anyway? Now, let me give you an example. In the movie Avengers, one of the turbines of the helicarrier is damaged by the bad guy, you may have a limited time to fix the problem before the thing goes down, this I understand. Fighting goons while you try to uncover bricks or minikits or whatever, plus defeating the level end boss within 90 seconds!? What kind of retards made this up? Once you have completed that area, you earn freeplay for that area. Camera angles you cannot change and CGI cutscenes are like 360p or 240p, very low quality graphics, lame! You will probably experience every time your character dies, watch that "level failed" screen and restart, lame!