1,153 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars An Actual Review of the Actual Set
I finally got a copy of this set so I can write an actual review. I find many reviews on Amazon are negative because of item availability and aftermarket pricing. So here is an actual review of the set, not the market. Please see the customer image gallery for my build uploads.

Published on December 31, 2012 by enoch

2.0 out of 5 stars Really, really small!
Published 17 months ago by Kristine A. Nicholas

5.0 out of 5 stars An Actual Review of the Actual Set, December 31, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102 (Toy)

Design: This set uses a modular design. If you follow the instructions, you get eight distinct modules, four above ground and four below ground. You can arrange these in dozens of different ways to create tiny cave networks and a multi-layered effect. The caves have several different kinds of hidden resources that you can only see when you take the top layer off. The overall effect of the design is a pretty good representation of the Minecraft world.

Build Quality: Pretty solid, I'm happy to say. This set does not sacrifice build quality for detail (which many LEGO sets unfortunately do). You may find that the tree tops pop off when you're rearranging the different modules, but everything else sticks solid.

Fun Factor: This was a really fun build. Because it is a microworld, you can easily tell what each piece represents as you are clicking them into place. Once complete, it's really fun to create different arrangements with the modules. Even with just eight modules, you have quite a few options. I hope I can get a second one to customize the microworld even further.

Value: I was happy to pay $34.99 for this set. For Minecraft fans, I don't think you'll be disappointed. For Minecraft/LEGO fans, it's simply a must-have. You get 408 pieces, which is about $0.085 per piece. For a licensed set, that's actually below average. Of course, that's probably because it relies so heavily on 1x1 tiles and plates. Still, you get eight 6x6 plates, quite a few bricks, and a brick separator. I thought the brick separator was a nice touch for separating all the tiny plates. There are only three exclusive pieces for the Steve and creeper heads. You get an extra Steve head, so if you add a red brick (or whatever color you want), you can make a second adventurer. To piece this set together on BrickLink dot com would cost about $50-$60.

Conclusion: If you can get it for MSRP of $34.99, it's a buy. I wouldn't suggest paying collectible prices, as LEGO will undoubtedly be producing more of these, and will probably create different Minecraft sets in the near future. At least I hope they do. I would love to add more modules to this set, and I'll be interested to see tiny zombies, skeletons, and mob animals.

A note on aftermarket sales: This set is incredibly popular. I imagine that LEGO was surprised by the demand. The aftermarket prices have come down to ~$60, which is still way to high. But that is how a collector's market works. Lots of people on here are rating the set low because they paid 2-3 times retail for it, which is the buyer's fault as much as the seller's. Many people are also upset with the behavior of sellers who list these sets at high prices, which seems really weird to me. It seems like buyers who are willing to pay those prices should be happy for the fact that the sets are available at all. Buyers that pay that much and then get bent out of shape about it need to look to themselves. Prices go up on collectibles like this because enough buyers are willing to pay for it, simple supply and demand. If you or your kid is wanting this set, just sit tight. There will be more available at retail price soon. If not, just get some LEGO bricks in Minecraft colors and make your own. You'll be a lot happier.

e

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lego MICRO set!, December 17, 2013
Guys, I am having a really hard time with the negative reviews here - they all seem to be from people who complain it is too small and too expensive. First of all, this is a Lego MICRO set. Micros are a new type of Lego that is way smaller (in scale) than the regular Lego's. So you have Lego Duplo - Lego - Lego Micro in that size order. When I order a regular Lego set, I don't complain that I didn't get a box as big as the Lego Duplo blocks!
Also, as a Micro set, they rate it for kids 10 years and older. Don't buy this for your 5 year old and then complain that its too tough for him/her!
Secondly, this contains 400 pieces. That is more than the regular Lego boxes priced around $40 contain (280 pieces in example). I think its clear that the price goes mainly with the quantity of the pieces, not with the size of the pieces.
I expected a tiny miniature kit that would recreate the Minecraft world and be a bit challenging to put together for my son and me. And I feel I got exactly what I had hoped for!

4.0 out of 5 stars At last, Minecraft and LEGO meet, May 31, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102 (Toy)
At first I thought this set was a Jinx.com exclusive, but I saw it for sale here on amazon earlier this week and had to snatch it up immediately. If you are reading this review, you surely know what Minecraft is and what a worldwide phenomenon it has become, starting as an obscure Java game on the PC that quickly grew in popularity due to its engrossing retro visual style, building mode, fun multiplayer and the human race's infatuation with things-that-go-bump-in-the-night. Now Minecraft has come full-circle with this great LEGO set that couples everybody's favorite plastic bricks with Minecraft's voxel visuals, themselves likely LEGO inspired from the beginning.

First thing you will notice upon getting this set is just how Tiny the box is. Yes, this is a Micro set, so be prepared for just what you are getting. It's only slightly bigger than a typical square box of Kleenex. Inside you'll find 480 LEGO pieces, mostly of the very small variety so the price-per-brick ratio may seem okay from a distance, but when you figure the overall volume of bricks it's one of the more expensive LEGO sets produced today.

At MSRP $34.99 it is hard to recommend this set to anyone who doesn't already love either Minecraft itself, Micro sets or both. I feel this set should be priced more in the $29.99 range at the highest, especially when you consider that most fans will probably want multiple sets so they can build larger LEGO Minecraft worlds. The LEGO Minecraft Facebook page shows off some photos of what six sets together look like. I'll admit I really would love to buy 6, but not at $35 each. However, even if you only buy one set, it is a really cool shelf piece... and the two micro LEGO figures are really great, especially the creeper. This is a valuable set for collectors.

So while I am so very happy that this set was approved and released, I can't get over how overpriced it actually is so I've decided to give this a 4 instead of a 5. Happy building!

2.0 out of 5 stars Really, really small!, August 26, 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My son, like most kids his age, is very into Minecraft. I thought I scored big when I found this set! Unfortunately, the set is really tiny! The box itself is 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" x 5-1/2" tall. When completed, the LEGO set is 2-3/4" x 2-3/4" x less than 2" tall! I think it's ridiculous that this set is priced at $35 or more for such a tiny set. It took my son mere minutes to assemble it. Needless to say, we were both disappointed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Minecraft and LEGO - a Perfect Match!, July 21, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102 (Toy)
Who knew that two things could come together so perfectly!

My 13 year old son has loved building with LEGOs since, well, forever. He became infatuated with Minecraft over a year ago. When he heard that Minecraft and LEGO worked to create a Minecraft specific set, he was thrilled.

The set is neat. You build four blocks which can then be combined by using connectors. Really, you can build whatever you want. It has hidden chambers, two micro mini-figs (Steve and Creeper). It is mostly the smallest of LEGO pieces and does come with some extras (not a lot though).

It is more expensive per piece (and size of piece) than a lot of LEGO sets but sometimes, it's okay to spend a little more for the things that make our kids really happy. And this does just that.

There are now two other sets: LEGO Minecraft The Village 21105 and LEGO Minecraft The Nether 21106 that I think look pretty cool and may make a great Christmas gift for my daughter...

When you compare this set to the smaller architecture sets, it is comparable in price.

****UPDATE**** 4/6/2013
I just happened to stumble back to this review a couple of days ago and noticed that for a brief window, Amazon was carrying it in their warehouse (not through a reseller or fulfillment center) at $34.95. That was a great price. So I ordered another set for my daughter for her upcoming birthday. Unfortunately, it is back to being sold at much higher prices by resellers. The lesson learned, if you are looking for this set, keep checking back since it is evidently in production and sometimes available at list price through Amazon.

Additionally, I had a buyer inform me that LEGO's website is now carrying it at the $34.99 price (plus shipping). I just went to confirm this and also see that they have a two per order limit.
**************

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too small for the price!, August 26, 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much for the money, October 18, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102 (Toy)
I was shocked when I received this item at how miniscule it was. If you paid more than the $34.99 retail price you would be very very disappointed. This is probably worth about $20.00, but the Minecraft Hype has driven the price up. I purchased 2 because it was the "have to have" present for my grandsons, but don't feel I got my money's worth

3.0 out of 5 stars Smaller than it looks..., April 17, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102 (Toy)
The pieces are very small and the completed cubes are small too. Looks bigger so read the specs carefully before purchasing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the price., October 15, 2013
This set is nice, but not at that price tag. I was disappointed in how small the size of this lego kit is compared to its price. The pieces themselves are put together nice, but definitely too costly for what you get.

2.0 out of 5 stars MUCH smaller than it appears!, October 10, 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
My son is very into Minecraft so, when we saw this, we thought it would be perfect for him. When the item arrived, we were SHOCKED! It's TINY! The whole box is only about size of a small Kleenex box. It does actually contain 400+ pieces, most of which are thumb-tack size or smaller. The picture in the listing is VERY deceiving & $50 for such a small item is WAY overpriced.

LEGO Minecraft, Micro World 21102