Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on August 27, 2012
The Lego "Monster Fighters" theme launched in May 2012 with a number of spooky sets revolving the theme of a group of heroes trying to stop the evil Lord Vampyre from bringing about eternal night. Utilizing some popular monster archetypes like a vampire, mad scientist, werewolf, sea creature, zombies, and a mummy, the Monster Fighters sets have a very golden age of Hollywood monster movies vibe to them. Pitting the classic monsters against a group of heavily armed heroic humans, many of whom feature steampunk sensibilities, really builds a strong Lego theme. Today I'm looking at "The Crazy Scientist & his Monster", a laboratory playset straight out of Frankenstein.

The Facts: -
# of Pieces: 422 parts, 2 instruction manuals
Minifigures included: The Monster, The Crazy Scientist, Dr. Rodney Rathebone, Major Quinton Steele

Positives:

*I like all of the figures, but here I'm pointing out the unique Monster and Crazy Scientist, both of whom seem to so far be unique to this set and differ from the blind bagged minifigure versions of the characters. The Monster has a great expression on his face and the scientist has great hair.

*The small blue car is a fantastic build and an excellent Lego vehicle. It is a very classic looking automobile but is loaded with "retro hi-tech" elements: flame spewing boosters on the side, a radar dish, and lots of firing missiles. The car can hold 3 passengers: One in the driver's seat, one on top, and one in the passenger's seat which slides out to become a gunner's chair.

*The main feature of the lab is an operating table (for the monster to lay on) which can be cranked into position. It is also attached to a small tower which utilizes a Lego light brick to "zap" the monster with electricity, bringing him to life. The whole setup is really detailed, works like a charm, and is extremely aestehtically pleasing with some nice stickers, plastic electrical effects, and lots of translucent pieces.

*The lab section has some neat little objects on display which give it character. There's a skull in a tank, a microscope, some potions, a frog, and a glow in the dark rat and spider.

*The jail cell door opens easily, has a wall which can be removed to aid the Monster Fighters in escaping, and has a cannon on top which can launch little clear green projectiles. No idea what they are supposed to be, but it is a neat little jail.

Negatives:

*Maybe this happens with all Lego sets, but 2 of minifigure in this set are duplicates of figures found in other sets. If you only have this set, that's no problem, but at this point I'm realizing that I'm starting to amass quite a few duplicates. Even some minor differences or changes in facial expression would have been nice.

*The mechanism which causes the light brick to function really only allows for the light brick to flicker, not to be turned on and off. With some finangling, you can get the light on, but I really would have liked a little switch or something to keep the light on when I wanted it left on.

Overall: With 4 figures, lots of accessories, a laboratory, and a vehicle, "Tthe Crazy Scientist and His Monster" is a very fine set in the Monster Fighters theme. It is a neat standalone piece, but looks even better when you set it alongside your Vampyre Castle, as the colors and style are a perfect match. I'm really interested to see how Lego expands on this theme, as it seems to be quite popular with a wide age range of Lego fans.
on September 29, 2012
While this set is fun to build and nice enough, playability is poor to terrible. Two of these sets were given to an 8 and 12 year old and the results were an easy build but a set that has a very weak structural design. This thing flies apart in just a few minutes and the design, which is less modular than many other lego toys, means it's harder to repair.
This is a set for the shelf only and believe me; these kids own a lot of lego stuff that they play with and this is a disappointment. The Spongebob house has a design that is also for the shelf only. The build out on this is pretty small for the money. Seems more like a 30 dollar toy. I'd skip it.
** from two hardcore lego fans and a dad who only wants happy kids!

Capt RB
on October 5, 2012
The Monster Fighter Legos are the coolest sets ever created for little kids with a passion for good vs evil. This is my son's favorite line, even surpassing his interest in the Harry Potter sets -- and that's saying something! Every MF set is truly a winner and this is no exception. Thanks Lego!
on September 25, 2012
As promised I am reveiwing this set as we had to buy it to replace a set in this series that DID NOT work for us -- The Vampyre's Castle set (review is under that set). The mad scientist and his monster set is in fact much better than the other two sets we have purchased from this series - the Werewolf and the Vampyer Castle. (my son bought the $100 Vampyre one with his own saved money!!). This set is as imaginative and interesting as the Vampyre Castle set, however, unlike that set it is built with durability and stability. There is only one small tower and it is stabilized through the middle with a light-up ray gun. Excellent idea. They also stabilized the tower along its sides with a type of black scaffolding - another great idea that adds to the look and overall spooky effect of the building. It is unbelievable to me that the towers in the Vampyre's castle didn't have this type of stabilization, especially since they are another level taller. Great set.
on January 19, 2013
This is one of the small to medium Monster Fighters sets. There's a little tower with a light-up faux laser beam, a neat little car, and some things that move and slide. I really enjoyed putting this one together and it's super cute in my "mad scientist room".
on May 7, 2014
Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster are a classic monster tale and you can't have a LEGO monster theme without it!

This set has four minifigures: Dr. Rodney Rathbone who's pistol and robotic leg are great, Major Quintin Steel with his awesome blunderbuss, the monster who has a separate forehead piece with safety pins printed on, and the crazy scientist with great printing and very cool hair.

I've never really thought the monster fighter guys were as cool as the monsters but this vehicle is so darn neat. It is baby blue with a rounded design and space for 3 minifigures, one on top, one in the driver's seat, amd one in the awesome slide out seat with a flick missile. There are also two more flick missiles on top and a sonar dish.

My most favorite part of this set is the lab.
It has a fun little prison with a catapult on top that shoots little green things and the back wall explodes open if you hook a chain to it and then hook it to the car. The laboratory part has various neat things like a glow in the dark skull, a wrench, a microscope, and potions. The ray gun tower is so neat with a light brick and some levers. I love how the brick lights up and "zaps" the monster to life. The top of the tower has the green moonstone with lightning and an antennea. Overall this is a great set and any monster fan would love this.
on January 1, 2014
My 8 year old son was very excited to receive the Crazy Scientist LEGO set. The pieces are challenging without causing younger LEGO minds to become frustrated with the numerous pieces. The instruction booklets are wonderful and force kids to think for themselves instead of parents building the LEGO sets for their children. It is nice to be able to talk through the challenging parts while "assisting" my child--- way better than him giving up and walking away for yet another expensive toy.
on June 21, 2013
I bought Lego Monster Fighters for my grandson Evan. He is only 7 yrs old, but can put most of the Lego's we have gotten him together without any problem. The instructions are easy enough for him to follow. I bought this through Amazon because I couldn't find it at any local store. I'm figuring that the Monster Fighters collection is being phased out for the new The Lone Ranger collection. Thank you Amazon for having what I needed at a good price.
on December 28, 2012
My GS had sent me a list of "LEGo likes" on an email prior to Christmas.

After getting advice from my older son, I narrowed the choice down to this one.

GS was mesmerized with joy on the pictures on the box and said "I cannot wait until I get home to open all these bags and play with this set.

He has quite a variety of LEGOS but none like this category.

Very happy with this choice.
on October 6, 2012
This was my first really big LEGOs Monster Fighters kit and the details still blow my mind! It goes together easily and features a red "laser" beam that really lights up. The design of the construction is fascinating. I am totally hooked on the Monster Fighters Series and am fairly new to LEGOs. This has proven to be one of my favorite designs for its novelty. (Of course, the Haunted House is now my current fav!)