5.0 out of 5 stars Battle tops - Lego style!
Lego Ninjago is new in 2011 and combines the action of the classic battling tops game with a Lego style twist. This set gives you everything you need to get started: a battle ring, two tops, weapons, 2 minifigures, and power up cards.

Published on February 5, 2011 by Brian R.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Test Drive
Like most parents you want to get toys that your kid wants AND that he or she will play with for more than a day. My son had showed interest in this from TV and his friends from school. Instead of going crazy and buying everything I want to buy him (a rare moment of restraint and maturity) I thought I'd get this little starter kit as a test drive.

They are...
Published on December 27, 2011 by J. Fields

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle tops - Lego style!, February 5, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)

To play the "Spinjitsu" battle top game, you first build your top, put the minifigure on it, then equip him with a weapon. The weapons stick out from the edge of the top and help knock the other player's minifigure off his top. Then both players spin their tops and see who falls off or stops first. The one left standing is the winner. The winner of each round gets to take the weapon of the other player. Some weapons are golden which are more valuable and let you play more powerful power-up cards. At the end of the game each player gets their original weapons back, so there's no "playing for keeps".

The spinning game can be played using the power up cards, which let you do things like add an extra weapon, build shields on your top, or provide danger zones in the playing arena. Using the cards adds extra elements of strategy similar to Pokemon and other games.

In addition to the Spinjitsu game, Ninjago is being rounded out like other themed Lego sets with buildings, vehicles, and other sets that make it a great theme even if your child doesn't want to play Spinjitsu. The ninja theme was basically the last type of character in their Lego Universe online game that didn't have heir own theme. If your child loves ninjas, now they can have them!

Take note that you spin the tops by hand, so no batteries are necessary but younger children might have a bit harder time. Other than that, there aren't that many drawbacks. Lego's site also has many instructional videos to help you build your skills and understand the rulesmof the game. If you want to play the game, this is the set to get. Otherwise other sets might have a better play value for your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Building a Legand, January 12, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
This Lego set is great!!! I have always loved Lego Ninjas but I was very small when they stopped making them so I never really got any. But now they have a whole theme with them (which I am very excited about). I just got this set and I love its play potential. It is somewhat over priced but not by much. The game is pretty good and you can also use the correctors for normal play. Which is nice because it seems like if I just get normal sets they just tend to sit around on display. One thing I don't get is why some of the sets have vehicles!!! Ninjas should have Dragons and cool forts and stuff like that not crazy vehicles. Fortunately most of the sets don't have them. After that rabbit trail, hear are my Pros and Cons
Pros.
Cool figures,
Game is neat,
Lots of playing potential,
Ninjas!!!!!!
Cons.
Price,
Should have had a little more to the set,
This them (in my mind) is the best that Lego has come out with since Bionicle (minus the vehicles!!!!!!!). Go and get some!!!!!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Test Drive, December 27, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)

They are easy to build, spin around great, it's fun to watch pieces fly off, and the little rail-battle-area is easy to build and breakdown for storage.

We had a fun 30 minutes on Christmas playing with this. I don't know how it will fair in the future, but for the price, it can't be beat to see if your kid will like these and lead you into further financial woes with all the different characters, arenas, etc.

I like this better than Beyblades, the yo-yo torture device that rarely spins right and falls apart all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, worth the price, but not balanced., March 19, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
The only thing i would like to point out that hasn't been said already is that the fights between the minifigure based ninjas and the skeletons are not even handed and the ninjas seem to win in an unfairly high ratio. I tried playing this both on my own and with my five year old son and tried every combination of figure, spinner, pose, and weapon but the ninja just keeps on winning. This is suprising as Lego gave the bad guys a different posablity toward holding the weapons and the spinners are so well engineered. The play cards set for each side don't off set this advantage either. while i believe this is a great starter set for "spinjitsu", i recommend pairing this with a booster if you're looking for a fair fight.
I also want to put out that while the price may seem high, given the historical Lego price to piece ratio of 10 cents each, but once you hold the spinner and see how long this well ballenced top can do it's job, it's quality should win you over.
My only complaint would be for the ninjago theme overall which for cost reasons that i understand, spinners in the larger sets are rare, but they could do a better job of placing rare or special play cards in the building sets to promote the spinjitsu play sets as well. stores in my areathat stock ninjago, don't stock the spin play sets for reasons i can't understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars The latest fad!, April 22, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
My 7 year old son has torn through the latest fads. Power rangers are history, thankfully he went through this stage early! We skipped the Pokeman epidemic, but spent a fortune on Bakugan. Then came BeyBlades. Now it's Ninjago. Out of these, I like BeyBlades and Ninjago the best. I never liked power rangers, but that's like having a girl and not liking Barbies. Bakugan were okay, but I could never really grasp the game. That said, I never really wanted to figure it out either. BeyBlades were simple, quick (can play a few rounds in a few minutes) and made a good reward. Then my son saw the visually spectacular Ninjago set up at Target. Man, those Lego creators are good! What boy could pass them up. I resisted, but finally caved. My son will sit quietly and play with them for an hour or so, a new record for him. The starer set comes with a buildable arena, cheaply made yet effective. You also get two Ninjago characters (a good and a bad guy), weapons and two spinners. And some assorted Lego pieces we don't use. Honestly, my son is not looking to build a Ninjago city. He likes to build, but is more of a free thinker and does not build the sets. So for our purposes, the starter set was a good purchase. He just wants to battle. If your child likes to collect all the sets and build the entire scene, the Ninjago theme could be an expensive endeavor.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Grandson age 7 Gave Me This Review, October 23, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
I like this set alot because it is a huge arena that you can put all the different Ninjas and Skeletons into and battle. I battle with my Mom and Dad, and I always win!

4.0 out of 5 stars We had fun UNTIL THE NINJAS did a DISAPPEARING ACT, October 3, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
I got to play LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu over some holiday when friends had me over during the holiday season and let me entertain (babysit?) their youngsters during the festivities.

This set consists of various Ninja characters, an old, white-beared sensei type (somehow, that's the ninja always assigned to me), various and sundry colored warriors and spinning Lego platforms; dotted on top with the patented Lego lugs. These platforms are rounded underneath to make the bottom part of a top (that sounds mixed up, the top part of a bottom?) Anyway--there are also, among all the many teensy-tiny parts, swords, tanto, naginata, sai, bo-sticks, and even nunchaku that fit into the arms of the Ninjas.

You set up these Ninjas on top of the top-bottom and spin them by twiddling them forcefully. Now, one of five things will happen:

1. One of the ninja-tops in play will hit another Ninja-top and force one of the ninjas off their platform. YOU LOSE! HAHAHHAHAHH! Loser!

2. Both ninjas fall off, or their swords fall off and you have to jam the blasted things back on the teeny platform again. I can confidently tell you, these are not designed for arthritic hands or being viewed with your bifocals. However, the kids seem to have just as much difficulty as their manual dexterity has not yet peaked.

3. Some of the parts may fall off, and the dog will lick them up. Or the baby. So, not for Hoover-type dog owners or people with three-and-unders. Choking hazard, let along being on diaper-watch for the small parts to reappear.

4. One or more of the ninjas might skitter under the couch and being these ARE ninjas, they take up camouflage cover under the nearest dust bunny.

If you are not the type to vacuum deep under the sofa, they may appear, shockingly, many moons later (generally, under your bare foot, ow!) or as a surprise snack for Hoover Dog, or as a serendipitous gift. ("Look, Reginald! Mummy found a Sensei-Lego-Ninja! Happy Birthday! Aren't you the lucky boy!")

5. Or you may all play this for a while, knocking each other's ninjas off their tops (bottoms) yelling "I win! Nyah!" or "LOSER! HAH!" until someone gets tired and hungry, smashes their fists onto the next set-up round of Ninjas preparing for Spinjitsu and a tantrum is in full flower.

So, as an adult, or someone who desperately tries to be one, you should make it a point of honor to lose more than a few times and not rub it in all that loudly when you win. But if you really don't care, go for it and win all the contests you can, because tantrums only last about five minutes on average, and you can always observe them with dispassionate and scientific interest--and give a running commentary on the finer points of pummeling the floor with your fists, kicking, screaming and the ever-popular whiny stage.

5.0 out of 5 stars My eight year-old daughter loves this toy, February 3, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
I bought this for my eight year-old daughter who watches the TV program and she loves it. There are multiple lego-folk with multiple hand-held weapons and she just loves the spinning play-action.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making a grandson happy, May 8, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
My grandson asked for these Legos for his birthday. They arrived in a time for him to celebrate. My grandson really enjoyed this toy and his younger brother asked me to buy therm for his birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars good toy, July 18, 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257 (Toy)
I think its the best toy ever. It is so coo.l If I could I would give it 10000000000 stars!

LEGO Ninjago Spinjitzu Starter Set 2257