Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

on May 31, 2011
I have no complaints about Lego Pirates of the Caribbean from a single player standpoint. The gameplay is great, the entertainment value is high, and the game's extensive extras makes for really high replay value. If playing on your own, this game is a great installment to the Lego video game series. BUT...

For myself and those I know who buy the Lego video games, the real draw is the multiplayer co-op mode. The Lego games have all stood up pretty well as single player games, but playing a game like this with someone who grew up with Legos and who also knows the source material adds so much more depth and fun to the experience.

Lego Harry Potter took the mutliplayer mode of these games and really flipped it on its head (in a good way) by going from the static screens of the previous Lego installments to what I like to call the "evolving split-screen." For those unfamiliar with this new type of split screen, the game allows both players to be on one screen when they are close together. As they separate, the screen splits, allowing for free exploration by both players where previous Lego installments forced the players to be somewhat tethered to one another.

This "evolving split screen" was implemented quite well in the Harry Potter installment of the Lego games. But this same feature exhibits huge flaws in the Pirates game. No small number of stages take place on or in confined spaces (pirate ships). The "evolving split screen" goes haywire in some cases, and in some instances where one player accidentally drops down a hole or climbs a set of stairs in an already confined environment, the split screen barely knows what to do. In some cases, it flips the screen so quickly and severely that it made me and the person I was playing with become dizzy.

When you finally make it out to a more open area, this issue resolves and gameplay returns to a satisfying norm.

One other flaw that has made the game less enjoyable than it could have been are the massive numbers of characters you seem to collect in a few of the stages. When playing other Lego games, you unlock a few characters here and there and buy all the rest for use in Free Play. In Pirates, though, a huge chunk of characters are unlocked in-game by helping them find or do something. Although this is fine in theory, you can end up collecting more characters than you know what to do with. This wouldn't be a problem except that they follow you around like puppy dogs and have caused more than a few deaths-by-falling when the platform or ledge I needed to reach was unreachable due to a cluster***k of playable characters exercising their drone AI.

Bottom Line: The game is great as a solo experience but what normally made the Lego games shine so brightly (co-op multiplayer) has pushed this game to the brink of unplayable. Fortunately, the open areas are frequent enough to give you a break from the head-turning, stomach-churning flaw of the "evolving split screen" in confined spaces. Solo grade: B+ Multiplayer grade: C-
22 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2011
Travelers Tales, this time teaming up with Disney, have delivered yet another great Lego themed game. Having owned every one, for the kids of course <wink>, back to the original Star Wars, this one falls right in the middle of the pack. There is nothing earth shatteringly different about the game, we have the now familiar (and cleverly executed) split screen, the multitude of characters, gorgeous graphics. The animation of Jack Sparrow is spot on, capturing perfectly Johnny Depp's portrayal of the scallywag ruffian perfectly, right down to the drunken walk. Characters have different abilities, the females continuing the trend of being able to jump better. The puzzle solving seems a bit easier than that of the Indiana Jones 2 game, the worlds a bit less congested. But then again, it's a different theme, a different world. Single player is fun, but it really shines with two player. While nowhere near completion, it's obvious the game will provided hours upon hours of replay value in free play mode as one gathers all the extra bonuses and loot.
on July 17, 2011
While our favorite is definitely Lego Harry Potter years 1-4, Lego Pirates is definitely a strong 2nd. The game play is great (definitely recommend 2 players) and the controls are much better than some of the other Lego games. If you're a fan of the movies we would definitely recommend trying the game out just for pure fan-dom.

If you're new to the Lego video game franchise, we would recommend in this order:

1. Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 (hands down the best of the franchise)
2. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Lego Star Wars III
4. Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga
5. Lego Indiana Jones
6. Lego Batman
7. Lego Indiana Jones 2 (terrible controls, terrible menus, don't waste your time)
on June 2, 2011
My family LOVES this game. We have enjoyed all the Lego games except for Star Wars 3. Lego Pirates combines the great qualities from Lego Harry Potter and Lego Batman. It is linear like Batman but uses the hub to hide all the extras to buy as in Harry Potter.

There are a few things we don't like. To buy characters you have to find them in the hub, chase them down, beat them up, then push B and A really fast. It's just an annoying way to get all the characters. It also seems like it's harder to find minikits in this game then in previous games even with the minikit detector on.

But despite those few flaws, we really like this game. The characters are great, it's easy enough for kids to play and it has provided us with hours of fun.
on May 10, 2011
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean was well worth the wait! Gameplay is a bit more challenging than some of the earlier LEGO games, but my five-year-old can still get through it with a little work. The cutscenes are hilarious. The split screen is a bit annoying at times, but it looks like that's the way all newer LEGO games are going to be. The price should come down on this in a few months just like the other LEGO games, but if you're a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean or LEGO games it's definitely worth the full price.
55 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2011
The best of all of the Lego games to date. The setup for the 4 movies is great and the character animation is fun. They really nail the characters; even captain Jacks mannerisms. There were 3 glitches that my friend also experienced on his game that caused you to have to reset the AI player in order to continue, but not really that big of a deal.

Overall thouroughly enjoyed playing through this 100%
on June 25, 2014
I hate giving this two stars, but there are several major glitches with this game that make it nearly impossible to get 100%. I have played all of the Legos games and, although this was a lot of fun, it was ridiculously glitchy. The reason I gave it two stars was because when I googled the problems that I had, I found people had reported these exact glitches 3 years ago, when the game was first released. I just purchased the game recently; it is unacceptable for the manufacturer to keep releasing copies of the game without fixing known problems. Disappointing.
on December 13, 2011
I've loved the LEGO games since the very first Star Wars one I got years ago on the PS2. I've played through Star Wars Complete Saga, Indy 1, and Harry Potter 1 on the Xbox, with no trouble. Maybe it's my system, but...

This is the worst LEGO game I have played. The biggest problem is with glitches - of all kinds. I've had characters freeze in spaces they can't get out of (which has happened on rare occasions with others, Indy, SW, and HP). Twice the game stalled mid-level, making me restart the level and loose all progress in the level. The AI is incredibly...stupid. Granted, when in single player mode, you don't expect the best AI, such as knocking you off that perilous cliff into a coin-stealing pit of doom. However the buddy character would frequently not do what it needed to do, either because the AI wouldn't recognize that it had a task (push a lever, etc) or it had gotten stuck in a loop on another part of the level (ie, it didn't follow me up the stairs to push the lever because it was stuck trying to jump up the stairs). This required either switching over to the buddy character and freeing it, or, in one spectacular moment, pulling out the second controller, dropping in, and actually having to do the buddy AI's job myself in order to progress.

Right now I'm stuck halfway through the game (the last level, boss fight against the Kraken) at the end of Dead Man's Chest. I really wanted to finish it so I could move on to the new Harry Potter, which is supposed to be one of the best. The way things have been going...I might just end up leaving this one on the shelf. Or, better yet, selling it to GameStop used and using that credit to buy the new HP game.
on September 29, 2015
I love the LEGO games, but this one hasn't been my favorite. The play control, while smooth in most places, is clumsy in terms of your ability to control jumps. There's a puzzle, that unlocks a bonus item, that requires you to jump across 5 small shoreline pillars in rapid succession. Holy cripes, it took me 5-10 minutes to do it because Jack would not land appropriately no matter how hard I tried. It feels like sometimes the game will draw you to a landing point to prevent missed jumps, and then sometimes the directional trajectory will change with the camera angling, or just change. Period. and will throw you off by a wide margin that leaves you saying "wtf?!?"

Also, while Pirates is a great adventure on film, I don't think that it translated well here. This game feels like allot of swashbuckling sword fights and not much else. Granted, I haven't made it through only 2 1/2 of the films in-game, but I'm just not feeling it at this point, and I desperately want to. Also, I think I recall the game freezing on me once or twice, but I can't say that with certainty because I set it down for a while and haven't gone back yet.

This isn't a terrible game, it's actually a fairly well put together title that includes allot of the great moments, and all of the characters from the films. The jumping is crap, and the overall feel of the game is okay, while not terribly exciting. If you feel the need to play or own all of the LEGO titles, pick this up. If you're going to be selective about which ones you buy, pass this one by and get LEGO Marvel Super Heroes instead. You likely won't be disappointed.
on October 18, 2012
BACKGROUND
I stumbled across the Lego series of games with the my first purchase Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga. I have played many others in the series and eagerly awaited Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

STORY
The game stays pretty true to the story laid out in the Pirates of the Caribbean film. The film was sprinkled with bits of humor which are amplified in the game due to the wonderful world the lego characters are able to create.

GRAPHICS & PRESENTATION
The graphics are on the plain side but that helps to reinforce the world of Legos which are simple blocks and shapes. The moments of, what can be considered, violence are displayed in a comical cartoonish way that is no worse than watching a looney toons cartoon.

GAMEPLAY & COMBAT
The gameplay and controls are not difficult to learn and feel are a drastic improvement of earlier titles in the Lego series. The multiplayer mode of the game is a blast to play along with the co-op mode. Yes, the single player mode is fun on its own but it is more fun to bring a friend or two along. Unfortunately, the split screen mode can be confusing. As your characters near you share the screen but, as you spilt apart, the line can be diagonal, horizontal, or vertical. it can make you a little dizzy and confused for a few moments keeping track of the action.

CHALLENGE
Easy enough for children to get into the play yet difficult enough to challenge the adult crowd.

OTHER

++ LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
++ Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
++ Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
++ Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues

PROS:
++ Tremendous extras add to replay value
++ Improved controls over previous Lego series of games
++ Entertaining just like the film

CONS:
++ The split screen can be rather confusing at times

CONCLUSION
This is a recommended purchase. It is an entertaining game that provides a challenging story and provides a multitude of extras enhancing replay value all for a lower price than most games that are currently on the market.