4.0 out of 5 stars Captain... Captain Jack Sparrow.
Published on May 11, 2011 by Unregistered

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Co-Op Mode Diminishes Gameplay Experience
I have no complaints about Lego Pirates of the Caribbean from a single player standpoint. The gameplay is great, the entertainment value is high, and the game's extensive extras makes for really high replay value. If playing on your own, this game is a great installment to the Lego video game series. BUT...

For myself and those I know who buy the Lego video...
Published on May 31, 2011 by J. Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawed Co-Op Mode Diminishes Gameplay Experience, May 31, 2011
J. Kennedy (KS United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)

For myself and those I know who buy the Lego video games, the real draw is the multiplayer co-op mode. The Lego games have all stood up pretty well as single player games, but playing a game like this with someone who grew up with Legos and who also knows the source material adds so much more depth and fun to the experience.

Lego Harry Potter took the mutliplayer mode of these games and really flipped it on its head (in a good way) by going from the static screens of the previous Lego installments to what I like to call the "evolving split-screen." For those unfamiliar with this new type of split screen, the game allows both players to be on one screen when they are close together. As they separate, the screen splits, allowing for free exploration by both players where previous Lego installments forced the players to be somewhat tethered to one another.

This "evolving split screen" was implemented quite well in the Harry Potter installment of the Lego games. But this same feature exhibits huge flaws in the Pirates game. No small number of stages take place on or in confined spaces (pirate ships). The "evolving split screen" goes haywire in some cases, and in some instances where one player accidentally drops down a hole or climbs a set of stairs in an already confined environment, the split screen barely knows what to do. In some cases, it flips the screen so quickly and severely that it made me and the person I was playing with become dizzy.

When you finally make it out to a more open area, this issue resolves and gameplay returns to a satisfying norm.

One other flaw that has made the game less enjoyable than it could have been are the massive numbers of characters you seem to collect in a few of the stages. When playing other Lego games, you unlock a few characters here and there and buy all the rest for use in Free Play. In Pirates, though, a huge chunk of characters are unlocked in-game by helping them find or do something. Although this is fine in theory, you can end up collecting more characters than you know what to do with. This wouldn't be a problem except that they follow you around like puppy dogs and have caused more than a few deaths-by-falling when the platform or ledge I needed to reach was unreachable due to a cluster***k of playable characters exercising their drone AI.

Bottom Line: The game is great as a solo experience but what normally made the Lego games shine so brightly (co-op multiplayer) has pushed this game to the brink of unplayable. Fortunately, the open areas are frequent enough to give you a break from the head-turning, stomach-churning flaw of the "evolving split screen" in confined spaces. Solo grade: B+ Multiplayer grade: C-

4.0 out of 5 stars Captain... Captain Jack Sparrow., May 11, 2011
Unregistered (Where UPS Deliivers) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Travelers Tales, this time teaming up with Disney, have delivered yet another great Lego themed game. Having owned every one, for the kids of course <wink>, back to the original Star Wars, this one falls right in the middle of the pack. There is nothing earth shatteringly different about the game, we have the now familiar (and cleverly executed) split screen, the multitude of characters, gorgeous graphics. The animation of Jack Sparrow is spot on, capturing perfectly Johnny Depp's portrayal of the scallywag ruffian perfectly, right down to the drunken walk. Characters have different abilities, the females continuing the trend of being able to jump better. The puzzle solving seems a bit easier than that of the Indiana Jones 2 game, the worlds a bit less congested. But then again, it's a different theme, a different world. Single player is fun, but it really shines with two player. While nowhere near completion, it's obvious the game will provided hours upon hours of replay value in free play mode as one gathers all the extra bonuses and loot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the Lego franchise, July 17, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
While our favorite is definitely Lego Harry Potter years 1-4, Lego Pirates is definitely a strong 2nd. The game play is great (definitely recommend 2 players) and the controls are much better than some of the other Lego games. If you're a fan of the movies we would definitely recommend trying the game out just for pure fan-dom.

If you're new to the Lego video game franchise, we would recommend in this order:

1. Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 (hands down the best of the franchise)
2. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
3. Lego Star Wars III
4. Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga
5. Lego Indiana Jones
6. Lego Batman
7. Lego Indiana Jones 2 (terrible controls, terrible menus, don't waste your time)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego back to it's great gameplay roots, June 2, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My family LOVES this game. We have enjoyed all the Lego games except for Star Wars 3. Lego Pirates combines the great qualities from Lego Harry Potter and Lego Batman. It is linear like Batman but uses the hub to hide all the extras to buy as in Harry Potter.

There are a few things we don't like. To buy characters you have to find them in the hub, chase them down, beat them up, then push B and A really fast. It's just an annoying way to get all the characters. It also seems like it's harder to find minikits in this game then in previous games even with the minikit detector on.

But despite those few flaws, we really like this game. The characters are great, it's easy enough for kids to play and it has provided us with hours of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2nd-best LEGO game to date, May 10, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean was well worth the wait! Gameplay is a bit more challenging than some of the earlier LEGO games, but my five-year-old can still get through it with a little work. The cutscenes are hilarious. The split screen is a bit annoying at times, but it looks like that's the way all newer LEGO games are going to be. The price should come down on this in a few months just like the other LEGO games, but if you're a fan of Pirates of the Caribbean or LEGO games it's definitely worth the full price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fun game, February 5, 2012
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I rented this game and I enjoyed it. Great graphics and good gameplay. I had Indiana Jones Lego and it was fun, but I think I like this one better. I had that one for Wii. This one has great gameplay and gets a bit trickier which I like and not as much sword fighting as there is puzzles. It stays on the story pretty well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just a fun game to play, June 20, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
The best of all of the Lego games to date. The setup for the 4 movies is great and the character animation is fun. They really nail the characters; even captain Jacks mannerisms. There were 3 glitches that my friend also experienced on his game that caused you to have to reset the AI player in order to continue, but not really that big of a deal.

Overall thouroughly enjoyed playing through this 100%

2.0 out of 5 stars Glitch After Glitch, December 13, 2011
BookNerdAZ (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've loved the LEGO games since the very first Star Wars one I got years ago on the PS2. I've played through Star Wars Complete Saga, Indy 1, and Harry Potter 1 on the Xbox, with no trouble. Maybe it's my system, but...

This is the worst LEGO game I have played. The biggest problem is with glitches - of all kinds. I've had characters freeze in spaces they can't get out of (which has happened on rare occasions with others, Indy, SW, and HP). Twice the game stalled mid-level, making me restart the level and loose all progress in the level. The AI is incredibly...stupid. Granted, when in single player mode, you don't expect the best AI, such as knocking you off that perilous cliff into a coin-stealing pit of doom. However the buddy character would frequently not do what it needed to do, either because the AI wouldn't recognize that it had a task (push a lever, etc) or it had gotten stuck in a loop on another part of the level (ie, it didn't follow me up the stairs to push the lever because it was stuck trying to jump up the stairs). This required either switching over to the buddy character and freeing it, or, in one spectacular moment, pulling out the second controller, dropping in, and actually having to do the buddy AI's job myself in order to progress.

Right now I'm stuck halfway through the game (the last level, boss fight against the Kraken) at the end of Dead Man's Chest. I really wanted to finish it so I could move on to the new Harry Potter, which is supposed to be one of the best. The way things have been going...I might just end up leaving this one on the shelf. Or, better yet, selling it to GameStop used and using that credit to buy the new HP game.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, June 6, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
As others have mentioned in their reviews, the game freezes constantly, which is incredibly frustrating. I've really enjoyed all the other LEGO games, but this one just seems to have more bugs.

2.0 out of 5 stars More fun but more flaws than other Lego games, December 28, 2011
This review is from: LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
This game has been the most fun out of all the Lego games (although we haven't tried Harry Potter as we are not fans of the movie). The Lego games are the only games on the Xbox I actually play, my husband and I play them together and enjoy the teamwork and puzzle solving. The fact that we only play this game together though makes it a total failure. Within the very first level the game froze on us so we had to turn off the Xbox and start over from the begining. Then twice in the second level of the first story it froze, both times were in the same room near the end of the level and both times we had to start over from the beginning of the level. The third time around I dropped out before he entered the room and jumped back in when he left it. On the third and fourth level, the second player went haywire. A few times when he tried to jump in, the joystick controls were backwards (right is left, left is right) but also the split screen wasn't working (the screen wasn't following the character and was just dazing off to the sky.)
My other complaint of this game over the others, is the controls to pick up items are far more sensitive then the previous games, I have to be in the perfect spot to pick something up, same with when I want to drive something, I have to be in the perfect spot.
This game seems more advanced than the other Lego games but it seems like they rushed production and didn't bother to fix the bugs. If you are looking for a game for primarily two player, I'd stick with Indiana Jones 2, Batman, or Star Wars.

LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean - Xbox 360 by Disney Interactive (Xbox 360)
$19.99 $14.92