Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on October 1, 2011
I've built mine and I love it like crazy. It's definitely not for kids or even really playing with, but it's second to none for the adult who wants a grand centerpiece for their Star Wars collection.

I have to disagree with the first reviewer who said it didn't look right. I've seen the movies countless times and I also have various models of the same ship and it looks fantastic. This bears repeating since it's obviously the set's best quality, when the ship is completed and sitting on the table in front of you it is truly HUGE!

Building it varied from fun to tedious to frustrating, but this may be because it's the first Lego set I've put together. The instruction manual, which was pretty easy to follow, is bigger than many coffee table books and is impressive in it's own right. I'd say it took a total of 16 hours to complete. There's a feeling of pride and childlike giddiness that comes when you stand looking at the finished product. I've got a friend who has the huge $500 Lego Millennium Falcon and both Death Stars and he's quite jealous of it.

I have to mention that my experience with Lego customer service has been nothing less than the best I've had with any company recently. My set was missing a few pieces and the guy on the phone apologized profusely and offered me a free figure of any character they made. So I asked if they had Emperor Palpatine shooting lightning out of his hands. The guy said it would be no problem even though it's apparently from a set they're not producing anymore, so they sent it to me straight from the factory in Denmark. On top of that he doubled the Lego VIP points I received with my purchase from 400 to 800 and I was able to buy my little cousin a video game from their website.

Overall it was a great experience all around. If you are a passionate Star Wars collector or even just a hardcore fan who wants something amazing you can show off to your friends, this is absolutely worth it if you can afford it. I'm happy to give it my highest recommendation!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 15, 2012
Massive, and well thought out method for assembly. I can't say I expect anything less from almost 30 years of playing with/assembling Lego "toys". I won't call this educational in the strictest sense, but it is definitely more fuel for the imagination. The bottom, with good reason, isn't truly finished, and the figures are not a great fit in the compartment, but to be scale.....no way.

This is not a Lego set for the very young, but would be good for most mature pre-teens, and mid-teen Lego artisans. Younger than 10? Highly rare for a child under the age of 10 to have the patience and attention to detail that this model demands. If you are under 10 and did this, I commend you! If your child under 10 did this; you are to be commended along with that child!

This was one of only a couple of Lego models I have built over the years that gave me sheer joy at every step. I hoped, and waited, and finally got what I longed for: Executor. Before you ask: I am 34. This took me nearly 20 hours, spread out, on a 6' x 6' table. I didn't rush, you probably shouldn't either, so expect to lose the use of the table for a while. Keep cats, and other acrobatic pets or small children at bay: there are many, many, small pieces. Make sure your surface (floor and table) are high contrast colors, like light blue, dark brown, or similar, so the pieces don't blend in.

Best of luck, and enjoy!
on May 5, 2012
If you are both a LEGO and Star Wars fan you do yourself a disservice by passing this on this one. I know $400 is quite a chunk of change to cough up for a LEGO set but it is well worth it and like the other LEGO ultimate collectors series sets it will only go up in price so it's a investment also. You don't want to regret not getting this now when your looking at this in a few years with a $1000+ price tag.

I found building it to be easy and enjoyable. It took me about 12 hours total to get it completely assembled (4 hours at a time over three days). The finished product is quite an impressive specimen to look at, it is nicely detailed and is 4'1" in length. It is also surprisingly sturdy and easy to move around because the underside of it is a solid piece so you don't have to worry about where to put your hands when you need to move it.

Get it, You'll love it!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 5, 2013
Last year, I saw this in the LEGO store window fully assembled. I fell in love and I must have been talking about it a lot because I just received it as a gift!

My 6 year old son and I assembled it and you know what? He did most of it while I watched and set the pieces out. There were only a few times I had to correct him and there were several times where he corrected me. We worked on it almost everyday for at least an hour. There were some tedious portions where you build 12 or 10 of the exect same small components. Overall, it's amazing to see it come together and seeing my son puzzle out the assembly made it more amazing. I don't know why people rate the educational value of a kit like this so low. I think it's a great lesson in following instructions, spatial representation, and basic engineering techniques.

It sits in one of our berooms because my wife didn't like the idea of it being the centerpiece for our kitchen. Everytime I look at it, I get a little giddy. I am missing 2 pieces that were not critial, but I plan on ordering them this weekend.

Also, kudos to the LEGO team that designed this. It it amazing and if they came out with the Clone Wars Galactic Cruiser in this size tomorrow, I'd buy it!

11 Nov 2013 Update: Everyday I wake up and see it sitting on my bookshelf and I think to myself "Damn that is cool as hell!" Also, my son brings everyone in to show it off. He's quite proud as well.
on December 21, 2012
I bought two of these because this is going to become a true collectors piece. One will be given to my 8-year old son for his next birthday; the other one is an investment piece to be enjoyed a couple of years down the road. The LEGO Star wars Super Star Destroyer is going to become a highly collectible piece; Lego will most likeley discontinue this in 2013. Regarding shipping... This is a giant and very heavy Lego box: close to 16 lbs. Previous reviewers on these heavy Lego sets have sometimes noted that the LEGO product box arrived damaged because the outer shipping carton was beaten up. I agree that these expensive sets should be packaged with more care by Amazon (cardboard boxes should be sealed with tape along "all edges" of the cardboard box; not just the horizontal fold of the box). I have a simple solution to minimize any potential shipping damage: upgrade your account to Amazon Prime and select Next Day Air for $3.99 which ensures save arrival (ground shipments take several days during which the boxes are naturally beaten up along the way). $3.99 upgrade for overnight is a very small price to pay considering the high price tag of this item. By the way, I have purchased numerous times from the online lego store and I find that their packaging system is pretty equal to Amazon. Just upgrade to Next Day Air and you will have less to worry about.
review image review image
on January 18, 2013
This monster of a LEGO has so many pieces it is daunting at first to start it. But once assembled it look very nice. Not a lot of playability, but like any of the Ultimate Collector Set, it goal is to be as accurate as possible. It succeeds at that!

Very cool set and I got it at a record low price of 309.99 when it sells around 600$ in the north wasteland called Canada. Thank you America! you rock!
on February 13, 2012
Huge set with a removable top piece to reveal a small bridge. Along with the many minifigs, this wa a blast to make and makes a great (if not huge) display piece.

My only complaint is how easily the display 'plaque' can come off it barely touched. Other than that, it was fun to build and always get a compliment when seen.
on December 25, 2012
Very cool addition to any Star Wars Lego collection...I thought it was pretty easy to build overall and most of it is quite sturdy withe the exception of a few pieces...you can actually hold the ship and move it around easily without anything really breaking. One disappointment was the amount of space for the bridge...you can't really even fit the characters inside and put the cover back on....other than that its cool.
on January 10, 2013
I enjoyed assembling this very much.I enjoyed it so much I dismantled it a week later so I could put it together again in around a month.If youy like star wars and can afford it.Buy it! note if you buy this on amazon for 320.00 it will never lose its value and its a good posibility that it will actually be worth more after its discontinued.
on January 2, 2014
I think the title of my review pretty much says it all, but I have to write a little more for this review so I'll just say a bit about myself.

I was 6 years old when Star Wars came out, and immediately became a lifelong fan. I was 10 when Empire came out, and 13 for Jedi. Outside of Star Wars, my childhood was packed with Legos. I had all kinds of sets, but there were no "star wars" sets back then, not like now, so I used to build my own "giant spaceships" like star destroyers out of what legos I had around. No, they didn't look anything like a read star destroyer, but it was FUN.

Now, seeing this product, I thought "This IS my childhood!" How can you put a price on that?

Now, just to let you know, these are part of the "UCS" or Ultimate Collector's Series of toys. They have ALL gone up in value over the years because they are limited edition collector's sets. Once Lego stops making them, they are GONE.

I made a huge mistake NOT getting the Millennium Falcon UCS set. I could have got it for $500 a few years ago, and I sadly I didn't. When I went back online later, when I had some more money to buy one, they were all selling for about $3500 each. That's right: a 700% return. The lowest return on a UCS set, so far is 200% value. The average value increase is somewhere in between. The original Star Destroyer UCS set went from $300 to $2000 over about 8 years.

I'm not making the same mistake twice. I bought 2 of these: 1 for myself for display, and one to hold onto as an investment. I did the same with the Red 5 X-Wing UCS set.

But at the end of the day, the SSD looks fantastic as a set piece on my wall shelf, and it was really FUN to build a lego set some 30 years after I built my last one. I forgot how much FUN Legos are!!!

Put aside some time for this one though, it took up a whole table and took me about 5 nights, 3 hours a night, to finish it. I had a few pieces left over, which was fine.