LEGO Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$10.22 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 18, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
On a whim, I purchased this book for my son to enjoy reading about his LEGO Star Wars figurines. Upon receipt, I thumbed through the pages and was totally blown away with the detailed pictures and fun and obscure facts that the publisher had put together in this compilation of LEGO SW history.

I posted a few pictures above to illustrate some of the amazing detail this book has -- also note the entire list of figures listed in the two page table of contents.

First off, the book is not too large, and could be easily carried around by a five year old. It is hardcover and the glossy pages are printed on thick paper. The colors in the pictures are lively and the layout of each page is very organized and easy to follow. The publisher/authors definitely put a lot of thought into the presentation of each lego figure. About 1/4 of the thickness of the book is taken up by a cardboard insert that holds the heroic scoundrel Han Solo. He looks pretty clean cut and is wearing the medal given at the end of Episode IV by Princess Leia. He even has Han's smirk on his face. This figure is an exclusive to this book, so if you want to add him to your collection, you need to buy this book.

Each individual figure is color classified into the episode they appear, as can be seen in the table of contents. The figures are printed quite large, around 7-8 inches tall, with exceptional detail. Droids are also included. A small descriptive blurb is in the top corner of each page. Then a "data file" box will tell you which year, lego set#/name, # pieces, and # of variants of manufacture. Lots of smaller white boxes point out all kinds of details about each and every figure, such as:
1) "Stolen imperial binoculars hang from Han's torso" p. 92
2) "On duty on Hoth, Leia wears her hair back in braids. This Lego hair piece is also seen on Leia in her Endor outfit (p.139)" p. 93
3) "Lando's exclusive cape is blue on the outside and yellow on the inside. It is a status symbol that distinguishes him as Baron Administrator of Cloud City." p. 111
4) "Yoda's head is made from rubber, like the Plo Koon (p.164), Kit Fisto (p.45) and classic Yoda (p.17) minifigures" p. 158
5) "Only one other Lego astromech droid has a blue status display, R2Q2 (p.201)" p.46

As can be read above, the book is quite good about cross-referencing pages to give the reader the ability to quickly find the same attribute in other figures. When appropriate, a nice colorful picture of the actual Lego set from the whence the figure originates is also included. Additional boxes also appear with pictures of variant figures including very rare figurines created for very specific events (like a bronze Bobba Fett). At the end of book, an index is provided that lists ALL the lego set#'s the figure has ever appeared in. You can then go to the Lego website to find the set (you must use the Holobrick archive, not regular search box):

[...]

I believe every single human, alien, and droid figure in the Lego Star Wars universe up to this point is included in this book -- even the obscure and very limited event specific ones. The way this book was put together, from the large high quality pictures, the fun descriptions, cross references, esoteric facts, figure variants, and lego set#'s makes this book truly encyclopedic. I was very impressed with this book... and I think my 5 year old will enjoy it too.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This is a very nice book that is a great follow-on to the Lego Star Wars "The Visual Dictionary". "The Character Encyclopedia" includes the Han Solo minifigure complimenting the Luke Skywalker that came with "The Visual Dictionary" book. Great for collectors of the Lego Star Wars minifigs.

I bought this for my 10-yr old son who is a big fan of Star Wars and the Legos. He takes the Han Solo minifig out to look at it and then places it back into the book when he is done. The holder built into the book is designed so that you can lift up the plastic flap that contains the figure and continue using it as a holder. Make sure you release the tape from the bottom as the "hinge" is at the top.

The size of the book is smaller than the previous released DK books. It measures 7 3/8" wide by 9 3/8" tall. This is actually a really good size for the information contained on the pages of the book. Each page is dedicated to one Minifig in the Star Wars sets. Here are a few page features:

* A nice description of the character and their role/function in Star Wars
* Each minifig description is cross referenced to the sets which they appear
* Each minifig description has descriptions of any released variations (if any)
* A very nice photograph of the minifig taking up most of the page
* Bits of trivia regarding the design

The index also contains a nice reference for all the set numbers that the minifig can be found.

This first edition contains all the figures that are currently available in the 2011 Star Wars sets.

One interesting note is that this book is missing one of the promotional minifigs released earlier in 2011 year (or was it late 2010). That was the Shadow ARF Trooper which was a Lego Store promotion. My son and I got one and I was interested in finding a description of it. It is interesting since the book mentions limited release minifigs such as the chrome gold C-3PO and bronze Boba Fett. I wonder if folks noticed any other missing figures.

Regardless, this is a very nice book and missing an obscure limited release figure doesn't detract from this book. It would give the publisher an opportunity for a 2nd edition in a few years when Lego releases even more minifigs.
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
We started with the DK book on Lego Star Wars sets, that includes the Luke mini figure. My son loves it and 4 weeks later is still reading it nightly before bed. It was a 5 star product, especially at the Amazon price. This is now our 4th DK book as we picked up the Lego Harry Potter book and Clone Wars character encyclopedia in the last month as well.

This book is smaller in physical size then the other two lego books. It is the same size as the Clone Wars encyclopedia and like that book has about 200 pages. Also like the Clone wars book, each character gets their own page and the layout is very similar to that book. The mini fig is pictured in a large layout form and usually the set (or sets) from which it comes are pictured in smaller form. There are about 4-6 little trivia facts about details on the figure itself, that are perfect for my 1st grader to work on his reading. There is also a small trivia box about the set it comes from, another about the number it is assigned/year issued, and usually a bigger trivia box with an overview of the character.

Unlike his earlier DK book on lego star wars sets, this one just got released (september 2011) and is up to date on the figures and sets from 2011. My son has the Plo Koon star fighter and both Plo Koon, his Droid, and his ship are included. In the other book (which is still outstanding) his set is only mentioned in a timeline they updated in the front of the book, but not in the book itself. So if your little one wants to look up minifigs from something he just picked up a week ago, it would be in here. The only one I am aware of not in here is the "little Han" figure which came with the Walmart blu-ray release of the padawan menace last week.

I have reviewed all 4 of the DK books now and I think they are all great. My little guy gets his love of both Legos and Star Wars from me, and I also like paging through these books. This book, like the others, is great and the price on Amazon was equally nice. Again my son loves to read these and in his mind they are as good as toys. He is thrilled to practice his reading every night because of these books. If I could give this one (and the others)6 stars, I would.
on November 14, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
If you are a Lego Star Wars fan, this is a must-buy book as there really is no other book with as much information about the Star Wars minifigures (the Visual Dictionary focused more on the SETS). Also, it is worth getting just for the Ceremony Han Solo (which you can add to your Ceremony Luke from the dictionary, and it is said that Ceremony Leia will be in an upcoming 2012 set).

HOWEVER, if you are looking for a comprehensive Lego Star Wars minifig book, you will be a little disappointed. A collector who wants to know and see all the different VARIANTS of a particular minifigure, say Jedi Luke, will instead see a single listing of him where it'll indicate that there are 7 variants. It does have separate pages for other VERSIONS of Luke (like Tatooine Luke, Hoth Luke, etc.), but really, how hard would it have been to include even a small photo of all the other variants (yellow skin, flesh skin with two regular hands, flesh skin with one black hand, white pupils, just to name a few). Even if it didn't want to include such photos, at the very least it could have listed the set numbers of the variants so we could know how to find them. Instead, it just shows a couple variants and then merely states VARIANTS: 7.

So to sum up, it is a character encyclopedia. It is not a Lego Star Wars minifig BIBLE.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 25, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
My son is very happy with this book/toy, he has some figures and he can now rewiew in which movie the figure appears.
on October 11, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Perfect gift for my Star Wars crazy 4 year old. My husband enjoyed looking at it too. This will make any young Lego star wars fan very happy.
on October 23, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I bought this for my son, the Lego nut! I was originally going to keep it and give it to him for Christmas, but he kept asking for it every time he would see an ad for it online, so I gave it to him a few months early!

The book itself is great. It has full-page closeups of just about every Lego Star Wars minifigure ever produced. Along with the pictures there are all kinds of fun Lego facts about the minifigures, their variations, and even what sets they are included in.

The book is a must-have for Lego Star Wars afficianados, but any Star Wars fan would get enjoyment from this book. Also, you don't even need to know anything about the Lego Star Wars world to understand this book. it explains it all for you!

Great for all ages!
on October 19, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
This book has been an instant hit in our house! My 4 and 5 year old boys love Legos and Star Wars, and we have read this book every night for the past 2 weeks. My only problem is that they keep wishing that that could find some of the more rare figures included in the book in stores to buy with birthday money! The pictures are great, showing some of the different variants for each figure, and I also like how the book is set up in order of appearance from Episode 1 through The Clone Wars and Expanded Universe. The minifigure is also great!
on October 14, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Yes, I bought this for my son, 19, for his birthday as he is a SW freak LOL. He loved it but would not take it back to his dorm with him as he was afraid someone may steal it or borrow it and then it would disappear. I like it too, I have been looking at it on and off when I'm waiting for something to occur or whatever. It is a great gift item for those who like Star Wars. Even adults!
on October 10, 2011
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
Great book with some nice little touches of humor. It has smaller pages but is a lot thicker than the previous DK Star Wars book which I prefer. It's also good to have a medal Han to go with my medal Luke. Amazing value for money too.