5.0 out of 5 stars Shame, Thy Name is Lego Death Star! :(
Published 16 months ago by G

1.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood Product
Just a warning As the small picture provided makes understanding the product difficult: This is not a moon! Its a space station! Be careful.
Published 8 months ago by Pen Name

5.0 out of 5 stars Shame, Thy Name is Lego Death Star! :(, August 1, 2013
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
I can't believe I bought this thing. The buyer's remorse was instant. I'm 34 years old and bought a Lego Death Star. Is this what my life has come to? Spending hard earned paycheck dollars on plastic bricks? Whatever, dude! This is the BEST. TOY. EVERRRRR!!! I put it in my kitchen as a decoration. I like to crush the **** out of Lego Luke in the Lego trash compactor. Take that, maturity!

4.0 out of 5 stars Associated hazards., March 19, 2014
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
It seems like a great piece, but every time I have it almost finished some punk kids in orange come by and smash it. It's gettin' old REAL fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Please note the choking hazard., March 19, 2014
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
This set includes 1 Darth Vader minifigure: not recommended for children under 3 or those with a disturbing lack of faith in the force.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Rebel Scum, March 19, 2014
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
I have to admit, suspending a car payment to purchase this "toy" was a debate raging inside me for many moons. But, saner heads prevailed and I received my battlestation just in time to have my car repossessed.

The first thing I noticed was that this particular model is not to scale. It is the actual size of a small moon. It literally took 19 years and a team of unpaid, undocumented teddy bears to construct this engineering marvel. However, once it was finished I had at my command an instrument of unholy terror and enjoyment.

I immediately tested it on my neighbor's dog.

After the blast reduced the canine, and much of the surrounding area to subatomic debris, I decided that the world needed to enjoy the thrill of my new toy as much as I had.

This is where my cautionary tale hits a snag. You see, there's this kid. Allegedly, during my world tour I "accidentally" blew up his farm, incinerating his aunt and uncle. Instead of talking it out like a rational human being, this blonde punk decides to blow up my super - awesome Legos.

So now I'm set back 19 years and tens of thousands of dollars in missed wages from all the work I stopped going to. And of course there are no teddy bear slaves in sight.

Fortunately, I saved the instructions. So after a few years, which actually defies all logic to speak of - since my foremen only works one day a week because he is permanently dependent on a ventilator... Thanks Obama, we finally got this thing halfway built and working.

Wouldn't you know it but five minutes later the farm punk shows up, tells me my foreman is his Dad and the two proceed to gang up on me and throw me down an elevator shaft. Which is quite literally where I am writing this review from.

Seriously, what else can go wrong today?

5.0 out of 5 stars Where's the Canteen?, March 19, 2014
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
As a Sith Lord it's important to have a staff canteen in which a person may eat a good pasta arrabiata - this does not seem to be modelled?

5.0 out of 5 stars Proud, March 19, 2014
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
I'm very proud of this technological terror I've constructed, but I'm told the ability to destroy a planet doesn't compare to the power of the Force.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Own!, March 19, 2014
Peterack (Alexandria, VA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
This is the greatest toy in the Universe. As of this writing the price is just under $400, but I found a jolly fellow named Jabba who was wiling to make a loan so I can enjoy this!

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning......, March 20, 2014
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
Think about the decision to build this very carefully. They tend to blow up in your face. As an independent contractor, i choose my jobs carefully and i let personal and political bias influence my judgement. I was lucky enough to turn down the lucrative contract to build the first one. I'm still alive today because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for kids and parents alike (UPDATED 11/14/10), June 8, 2010
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)
I bought the Lego Death Star for my son for his 14th birthday six months ago. He put it together with my daughter and me, and since then the kids have spent many hours playing with it. Even while we were building, they would stop to play as we completed each room. This set is worth the price alone just for the unlimited play value. The number of mini figures, "machines", and other working parts in the set is also impressive. Every room has something that moves and there is an elevator in the middle of the Death Star that covers three floors. Even the conference room (in which Darth Vader famously strangles his officer) has individually spinning chairs. You can literally recreate every Death Star scene from the movies using this set.

The list of mini figures is as follows: ANH Luke, ROTJ Luke, Stormtrooper Luke, Han Solo, Stormtrooper Solo, C-3P0, R2-D2, R2-Q5, Princess Leia, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, Tarkin, Darth Vader, the Emperor, Royal Guards, Stormtroopers, and four droids including the interrogation droid from ANH and a rolling mouse droid.

As to the particulars of the Legos themselves: it took three of us about four solid days to build this set. Part of that time was sorting the many pieces (our bags did come numbered unlike a couple other reviewers have reported) and part of it was play breaks as mentioned above. One of the machines took us two hours to build as we put it together slightly wrong the first time and had to do it all over. Out of over 3800 pieces we were missing one part, which we were able to cannibalize from one of my son's unbuilt Knight's Kingdom sets. Not too bad! The super laser is very fragile and we ended up swapping out one of the big disks for a different one from our Lego collection as it seemed to work to hold it together better. Other than that we had no real issues and the majority of the Death Star is surprisingly solid considering its size and the number of pieces involved.

All in all, I would highly recommend this set to Star Wars fans and Lego fans alike.

UPDATE November 14, 2010
---------------------------

It has now been eleven months since we bought this item and it's still in great condition. For the most part it has held together remarkably well through hours of play. The superlaser continues to be fragile. The "laser beams" are now on permanent hiatus unless a planet needs destroying, due to the fact that our cat would knock them off with his tail every time he walked past the Death Star. My kids have discovered that because the tippity top of the Death Star has exposed Lego studs, they can stand a character or a small structure on there, which they think is totally awesome. They also take glee in tossing random Lego parts into the trash compactor room to make it look more authentically "trashy". The extra helmets and guns provided were a big hit for a while, and the conference room with its table and spinning chairs remains a favorite. I find the Star Wars Legos have been a great way for me to connect with my kids because, let's face it, 38 year old moms don't know much about Pokemon or iCarly. I recommend bringing out the Lego Death Star every time you watch Star Wars for double the fun!

1.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood Product, March 19, 2014
This review is from: LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188) (Toy)

LEGO Star Wars Death Star (10188)
$399.99 $399.95