Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet King Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

As I've said in other reviews, I very much like these little Technic sets, even for kids below the recommended age range. Yes, you may need to assist on the build, but that's a great opportunity to teach children about reading and following plans. What I especially like about these sets is that they exhibit mechanical functions in a simple and obvious way, AND they hold together better than their brick-built cousins (Lego Technic sets are primarily held together with pins). The Technic sets don't mesh as well with the mini-figures, but enterprising kids still figure out how to combine the two.

This set, introduced in early 2011, is wonderful because it has so much going on. It has four knobs that control the steering, the winch, boom elevation, and outriggers. The outriggers are an especially nice touch. The crane boom rotates freely, which is okay since I've found that kids prefer to directly control such motion. Also, the crane boom extends outward. So the set has a great deal of playability. I would have liked to see Lego produce this set in a different color, perhaps lime green or orange.

The main downside in my book is that the set shows a little price inflation over earlier years. I think the set makes a good gift; it would be a perfect gift at a lower price point. Keep an eye on this set, however, as Amazon (and by that I mean Amazon proper, not the store-fronts) sometimes has very competitive pricing. I expect this set to be available for most of 2011; expect outrageous price increases once Lego delists it. This will be a popular set over the long term.
0Comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2011
The first thing that I have to say about this model is that it's TINY! In fact, the picture on the box is nearly twice the actual size of the model, so don't be surprised if the finished product looks very small.
As for the build, it was very simple, but I was extremely impressed by the amount of great functions there were. Lego has packed six functions (raising/lowering boom, extending boom, winch, swivelling upper body, outriggers, and steering) into a set with 292 pieces! That's very impressive.
The play experience is quite good, as the model has a number of creative functions. Also, I found that if you remove the upper body (crane and winch housing), it works very well as a flatbed truck! However, as usual, the B-model can't match the fun of the main model, and I didn't keep it for long before rebuilding it into the main model. The one thing that inspired me about the B-model, however, was the steering system, which is quite neat and well worth using in other models.
Overall, this set was a lot of fun. I would highly recommend it to those looking for a good first Technic set, as it can teach you a lot about Technic mechanisms and parts. However, more experienced Technic builders may find it a little too easy, despite its fantastic engineering.
review image review image review image review image
on July 16, 2012
I got this for my 7 year old, its his first Technic set (not the first Lego, he has a lot, mostly from the city and creator series).
He managed to build it on his own very well, and had fun doing so, as always the Lego instructions are good and easy to follow. The functionality of the crane is very nice (turning wheels, winch for the crane cable, outriggers and elevation) which makes it fun to play with afterwards.
He already wants a more complex Technic set, which, I think, means he liked this one...

As I titled this review, I think this is a great Technic starter/ beginner set.

(I gave it 4 stars on durability as parts can break/bend if enough force is used, it is not less durable than any other Lego set I have seen)

Have fun!
on April 26, 2012
This is my first Technic model. I enjoyed assembling it and seeing how different the construction is from regular Lego. I'm impressed that someone can dream up a model like this from such abstract parts.

For an adult, the result is a great desktop toy. It's not too big and people enjoye fiddling with it. It's just realistic enough; though the boom doesn't extend far and has no pulley, the outriggers are great and the steering is fun.

My only suggestion for improvement is that the instructions left me pretty much in the dark as to what was going on for many pages, because they're so spread out. I think someone who wants to build this kind of model can handle some more complex diagrams where we can see larger assemblies come together, not just one little piece at a time.
on December 28, 2011
I love it!!! The mini mobile crane was a pain in the rear end to build and confusing. It's hard to say bad things about it after it's done. It's very simple to operate. Overall, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THe box says it is for people who are 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14. I recommend it for people who are 12-16. I hope you found this report very useful. :D :P :) ;)
on November 30, 2014
My son loves this crane and had a lot of fun putting it together. He is 8 and he said it is more difficulty to put together than regular legos, but still was able to put it together by himself
on January 20, 2012
I paid about $19 to get it. It is a very good toy with 2 in 1. The built unit can pretty strong hold the parts together, unlike other Lego. If price is right, pull your tirgger. Recommend.
on December 10, 2011
If your child loves Lego, they need to advance to sets like this. My son loves these, and he goes online to find what else he can make. Very fun and the sets join like all others.
on April 7, 2013
This is a sweet toy. It's amazing looking and fun to play around with. It is a mini crane in that a regular Lego man wouldn't be able to sit in it's seat. I'm an older guy but I still love it. The outriggers are one of my favorite things. They actually prop the crane up a little off the ground to keep it from moving. Well check out my video to see all the neat things. I bought this through Amazon when it first came out and now I see that it cost more. It's only going to get more expensive. If you can get it for a fair price I say it's worth it and I do recommend it. Like I said it is a blast to play with.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2014
This is the only technic set I got for my 6 year old son, and he never quite finished building it by himself before losing interest. The technic Legos are different from brick Legos so I think he wasn't used to the idea. I know the age limit is 8-14, so he might be just a tad too young. With the brick Legos though, he can independently build the sets intended for 8+. I hope he will regain interest in it one day!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse