5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good - definitely fun

Published 6 months ago by M. Roehl

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good - definitely fun, April 8, 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I'm two rounds in and already loving it. It's a lot like Lego Lord of the Rings but a little different, too. I'm a Lego video game addict - so I will update as I go. Lego keeps setting up certain standards for their games and this game (so far) lives up to those lofty standards. The Lego dwarves are my favorite so far. A lot of them have "special talents" which are fun to play with. Will update later as I progress.
I've finished the first go around for all the events in the first movie. I love the added tweaks and am a huge fan of a big "roam" area - which this has. The Christopher Lee narration between the chapters is a nice touch. Much of the game play is just like LOTR - although you build certain things at little stations (which was introduced in Lego The Movie). I'm probably done for today - but it is still massively fun.

Edit update: I'm getting close to the end of the original play through. I think I have two levels left (not 100 percent sure -- just finished with Gandalf discovering Sauron). I should finish main game play tonight and then get to play with the free roam. I'm still really enjoying it (had to tear myself away this afternoon to go to work -- which is a bummer). There are a few different things in this that make it interesting -- including mining ore and collecting materials for trade. I can't wait to start getting some red bricks and doing the cleanup. A+ so far.

Edit update: I'm about 36.4 percent done now. The cleanup is extensive in this one -- which is what I like, so I have no complaints. Still having a great time. Think I'll probably really make some headway on the game on my days off this week.

Edit update: I'm more than 70 percent done now. It took me awhile to realize that this game was utilizing the Marvel Lego "three tasks" method -- which makes me stupid, I guess. Once you work through them, though, it gives you more characters to buy. Also, some of the tasks pop up later -- with not everything being available all at once -- like the Lego Marvel game, too. Still tons of fun.

Edit update: I'm at 92.4 percent done (with an eye on finishing this weekend -- I'm off Sunday and Monday). I think the biggest update on this game -- which I'm loving -- is that when you go back into level play for cleanup, you have the option of picking different portions of the level to enter at. So, if you are only missing one item -- you can jump back into the level at the point where you're missing something, and not have to play the whole level. The sublevels tell you where you're missing what. It's really awesome. I will make one final update after I beat the game -- which is mostly just a handful of cleanup items now (mostly races, which I'm apparently terrible at).

Okay, final update (probably): I still have three outstanding mithril bricks to claim. I need them to build the final mithral device to get the final red brick. Unfortunately, they're all at races that I'm having trouble completing. It's not impossible, but it is hard. I'm taking a little break and then revisiting it. I still love the game, but I am irritated beyond belief that I have three bricks still out there. Totally ticks me off.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked LEGO LOTR, you'll like this too *UPDATED*, April 10, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
If you liked LEGO LOTR, you'll like this too. The gameplay is pretty much the same with some new additions, and the world is bigger. In fact this game is advertised as being the largest LEGO game yet. That said, it's still like LEGO LOTR where all the areas are still pretty small and close together (don't expect Skyrim). But there's more to collect, and more to explore. Right off the bat I was thrilled that I could visit (for the first time) the Grey Havens even though they didn't go there in The Hobbit. The story does NOT send you there (relax book fans), but if you want to visit then go ahead. And even though the narrative in the book, movie, and game skips from the Shire to the Trollshaws, that doesn't stop you from making a U-Turn and revisiting Weathertop and Bree. You can even visit the Old Forest and Tom Bombadil's house! Again, they didn't go there in the book, and the story in the game doesn't take you there either, but that won't stop you if you want to visit those places on your own.

There are some parts in this game that were in the book but not in the movies, like having to cross the black river in Mirkwood that makes you fall asleep if you fall in. Something else I found interesting was that, in the game, the High Fells where Gandalf enters the crypt where the Nazgul are buried are located WEST of the Misty Mountains in the North of Rhudaur, where they were originally supposed to be when the movie was going to be two films. (Originally, Gandalf was going to go there right after Rivendell.) Yet in the game, he still goes there after he leaves the party in the second film.

It's fun playing the barrel sequence and actually getting to play the scene with Bombur from the movie! The parts where Gandalf goes to the High Fells and Dol Goldur are fun too because it's cool to explore them. Like with the LEGO LOTR game, while playing this I felt like it would be THE definitive Hobbit game if only it were done with a serious tone and without LEGOs...as great as this game and the LEGO games are. I would love to be Gandalf exploring the High Fells but with a serious tone and the creepiness ramped up to 100.

The game can be pretty open-ended at times, like when I was playing as Gandalf and Radagast and we were headed to Dol Goldur. I decided to explore around Mirkwood a little first. We reached the eastern edge, found a boat, and sailed it up to Lake Town where we got out and explored, even though they never go there in the book.

Yes, you can ride boats in this one. In LEGO LOTR you got to ride a boat for like five seconds down the Anduin River, in this one you can paddle around Hobbiton or around Long Lake. If you find a boat, just hop in. I think the Long Lake takes the place of the giant field that was Rohan/Gondor in LEGO LOTR. It's the biggest thing I've come across so far. You can sail around Lake Town, and there are some side quests and collectibles scattered about.

My only minor nitpick with the game so far is that sometimes for the puzzles I forget which dwarf carries what special item I need to solve the puzzle.

Each dwarf has their own special ability which can sometimes have hilarious results.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned in any other review yet is this game uses Howard Shore's ORIGINAL music. If you own the original soundtrack, Smaug's theme on the track "Inside Information" is so much better than in the movie. In the movie, either they changed it or parts of it like the bells are drowned out. I've seen the movie four times as of this review and there are still parts of the original soundtrack I don't hear in the movie, but they're in this game. Also, the track from the first movie soundtrack (not used in either movie so far) "The Dwarf Lords" plays over the closing credits for the second movie.

*UPDATE* I've now finished the game. Yes, this only actually covers the first two movies. It ends in the exact spot where the second movie ended. It's kind of strange because after you finish each movie there are closing credits and then you go right into the next movie, but the second movie ends on a cliffhanger, you watch the closing credits, and then you're just dropped into Free Play mode with no "to be continued" or anything. So some people might be left totally confused.

The rest of the story will be released as DLC sometime this Fall before the third movie comes out. Personally, I would have rather they waited and just released the whole thing together, but my guess is this happened because of the last-minute decision to split the film into three movies. Just look at some of the LEGO toy sets: the one with the Mirkwood spiders says "An Unexpected Journey" on the box, even though that event happened in the second movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love Lego Games and this ranks near the Bottom, April 15, 2014
M. Roehl (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've played every Lego game so far. All of them are fun in their own way and this is no exception. However, given how many times this game crashes and the fact that it encompasses two of the three movies (all other Lego games cover at least three), I'm reluctant to recommend this game unless you are out of other Lego games to play or are a huge Hobbit fan. To someone new to the Lego games, I would recommend the Harry Potter series, Star Wars or the original Indiana Jones.

Pros
- Open World
- New gameplay options (having inventory and using it to buy things)
- Fun because it's a Lego Game

Cons
- Crashes all the time (locks up the entire xbox)
- Way too short - Not as many missions as previous Lego games (making this available for an added charge through Downloadable Content (DLC))
- Hard to play with 2 players in co-op (first Lego game I've ever said this about)

5/5/14 Update - After playing this game extensively, it's just not up to Lego standards. Even after they patched it on the Xbox 360, there are still a plethora of bugs. For instance, after completing levels, often times the User isn't given the gamer points. The game still locks up (I get nervoused every time the game goes into slow motion). The missions for white bricks often seem longer than they should be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Progress halting software bugs., July 5, 2014
Ben (Arizona, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
**Update on this. I discovered via another website's forums, this was caused by the most recent software update for this game. Others experienced the same issue. The workaround is to uninstall the update.

/* original comment */

I'm very disappointed with the game. This is due to the software bugs. I'm unable to progress in the Story mode of the game. I've never experienced this, on previous Lego titles. I've experienced the occasional lock-up before. But, never a progression halting bug like this.

I'm at the end of the "The Necromancer" level. Upon completion of the final area of this chapter, the game finishes the ending cut-scene, then "black". The game stops responding. Tried restarting entire level, power-cycle, etc. Nothing after 5 attempts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Kids are huge fans of lord of the ..., July 25, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Awesome. Kids are huge fans of lord of the rings and lego games. I am so glad they combined two of their favorite things to make this game. They beat it of course but still continue to play. My son likes this one a little better than the lego lord of the rings but loves them both. I guess the only bad thing is the game doesnt cover the whole movie but maybe they will have another game after the 3rd part of the hobbit movie comes out around Christmas time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Game If You Don't Care About Finishing., September 9, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've always loved the Lego series of games. What originally got me hooked was that the games were a challenge but not so ridiculous that one could not finish the game. They were geared towards kids who had the ability to play intuitively. As LEGO games have progressed, the designers have felt the need to make the games more complex, and insert some challenges that are NOT geared towards younger gamers or games like me, leisure gamers. This was most evident in the Marvel Super Heroes game where the driving and flying challenges were simply undoable.

Lego The Hobbit is much better than the Marvel Super Heroes game, possibly because they could not really insert vehicle driving and flying into the game play. But that did not stop the designers from going too far with some of the challenges.

Lego Hobbit is a HUGE game even though it only covers two of the three movies. The open world is massive and gorgeously rendered. They wisely developed a quick travel component so one can travel from one area to another without spending hours traversing the same areas over and over again. Game play will have you traveling quite often, many times from one end of the open world to the other.

The methodology is the same as with other Lego games, play all of the levels in Story Mode to unlock Free Play and do it all over again. The catch with Hobbit is that the game is not that linear. It is recommended that you play through in Story Mode first just to unlock the basic characters and free up the game Free Play mode. but don't jump right into the Free Play and try to complete everything, you'll first need to do a bit of work in the open world to get characters and objects you will need to use in Free Play to get all of the items in the levels.

Not all items are available at any given time. They separated the open world into Day and Night modes. Each of these modes unlocks different challenges and goals. This all serves to keep you busy, and make the game play much longer. As you complete challenges and side missions, others are unlocked and become available where none were before. There are a ton of characters to find and purchase. Some you just come across in game play, others you have to complete a task to get access to. There are a lot of huts, and caves that you will need to go into and complete some challenge or task. Many will need you to have a certain character or object. You will collect Mithril bricks and Mithril designs which you use in the Blackshith shop in Bree to make Mithril items which you can use or give to other characters to get goodies such as Red Bricks.

Most of the game play is standard fair. Travel, fight, break stuff to get studs for points, buy things, build things. Knowing which characters have the abilities you need is important and you will eventually learn who can do what. They also incorporated the Special Character shop into the required game play sequence. There are several Special Characters you will be asked to produce and return to a requesting character. The prize is usually a Mitheril brick. Most challenges are retrieval of some object, a character, or to perform some task such as collecting objects or smashing a certain number of objects, and an occasional challenge course. There are timed challenges. These can be good and these can be horrible. If the challenge is designed with a little flexibility and enough time is given to get the challenge done without frustrating the player, they are a fun component. But when the challenge is poorly designed and impossibly hard then it ruins the game. As with Marvel Super Heroes, Hobbit has some challenges that are downright horrid and sadly it ruins the game.

There are three such challenges in this game, all timed. One is just east of Rivendale in a pass near the river. There are several stone columns. You are required to use a character with the flail and jump and swing from one column to another through the timer loops across 5 columns then turn and return. Unless you time everything absolutely perfect you will fall and have to start over. I spent a month trying and trying this challenge and could not get better than half way. My grandson who is a little gaming demon, failed, my son who is a paid professional gamer, failed. Everyone failed this challenge. The designers should have had the flail grab even if it was way off and set the timing so that it was easy to go through the sequence. The second was in Rivendale. You are required to be as a Elf and jump up some walls to a platform. Press B to start the timer and run. You have to run all over Rivendale through meadows, up steps, over walls, through temples, up crates to roof and across ropes and skinny boards. Your passing through timer hoops as you go and each hoop gives you a tad more time on the fast moving clock. This challenge was way too long. It was also not clear at all where you were supposed to go as the path was so long and drawn out you lost track of the guide studs. The worse part was jumping from one root to a tiny little platform 2/3 of the way through the run. You always fell here, guaranteed. I tried this 1000 times and never once got to that stupid platform. Having the Fall Save extra enabled did no good at all. Poorly designed and way too difficult. The third was south west of Hobbitown where you have to get on a roof top of a small house and press B to start the timer then start running. You were required to run and jump onto bouncing flowers and try to get through timer hoops. The hoops are all set at weird angles and the timer is ridiculously fast. I never got past the second flower on this stupid challenge. The whole things is a horrible mess, and whom ever designed it should be let go, along with the idiot who approved it for use in the game. These last three timed challenges are needed to get the last three Mithril bricks needed to build the last Mithril object, the Mithril Bow in the Blacksmith shop, so you will be robbed out of that percent. The last challenge with the bouncing flowers also nets you the final character.

I have completed everything else in the game getting 98% complete. I am sorely disappointed that I cannot complete the game 100% because of the ridiculously hard design of some of the timed challenges which seems to be becoming a habit with Tt games. Its not that I did not try, and as I mentioned I had better gamers than myself try repeatedly and not be able to complete them. That gives me some solace, but the game is supposed to be geared towards kids and an easier playing environment, and even seasoned game players cannot get parts of it complete which indicates a serious problem with game development.

Lastly, this is the first Lego game that I have played where the game froze my console often. Fortunately I did not get kicked back to the beginning, or anything drastic. Just have to turn the console off and restart the game again. On one occasion I had played a better part of an afternoon and the Save Crystal was going on as I played indicating that it was saving my progress. But after a freeze I came back in to find that all of the progress I had made that day was gone. I'm not sure if this was a bug in the game design or if they are loading these games up with so much crap that its starting to overwhelm the XBox 360 Console. I say again, get back to your roots, keep the games simple and easier to play. Having more to do is fine, but get rid of the timed challenges, and try something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally 100%, September 17, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
My 9-year-old son and I have played all of the LEGO games and this one is my favorite. It was frustrating at first because we'd just finished Lego Marvel Superheroes and loved being able to fly. Plus, there was a bit of a learning curve, because it's hard to remember which dwarf has which skill (who has the shovel? who can shoot targets?). But once we got rolling, we really enjoyed it.

My favorite things:
1. The side quests had a nice variety of puzzles, obstacle courses, and "defeat the boss" challenges. Several were tricky but none were impossible. Plus, it was easy to keep track of which ones we'd done vs. which ones we needed to finish. This was the first Lego game we were able to finish 100%.
2. As with all of the Lego games, you collect bricks for completing certain tasks (completing a level, collecting a certain number of studs, etc.) but in this case you actually need them because they're used to forge Mithril treasure items
3. The Lego build mini-games
4. The level of detail is amazing. I didn't realize just how awesome it was until I'd played the game and then saw the movie a second time. Whenever you travel to Bree on the map, it's dark and rainy. Why? Because in the movie, the scene set in Bree is at night and in the rain. And in Bree, one of the side quests is to get 50 carrots for one of the villagers, because in the movie, Peter Jackson is seen (briefly) eating a carrot.

Loved this game. Can't wait for part 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, August 5, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Very fun to play. Has a few glitches from time to time but overall very enjoyable. Lots of fun easter eggs!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, September 20, 2014
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I purchased this for my 6 year old son who LOVES the lego games. This game held up to the high level of fun for younger kids. My son loves the movies and he loves that when he plays the game it has certain scenes of the movie in it for him to "fight" in. I as a parent like it because it is geared for younger kids. I would highly recommend any of the Lego games for younger children!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... games and with each new one they keep getting better., August 17, 2014
J. Mac Lean (Astoria, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I've got all of the Lego games and with each new one they keep getting better.

LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360
LEGO The Hobbit - Xbox 360 by Warner Home Video - Games (Xbox 360)
$29.99 $29.74