Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Price:$23.89+ $2.98 shipping

on August 7, 2001
Yes, it's a grey 15" square Lego plate. But I seem to remember the "baseplates" being the same thinkness as a regular Lego piece. ...the base plate is a thin (1/16"?), flexible Lego baseplate that will allow you to build really big stuff, but it's tough to use on the "living room carpet" because it is so thin it flexes into the carpet when you try to press a "house" onto it. The result is that either only one corner of the house sticks, or it sticks fine, but all the other structures you've put on, flex off.
Anyway, it's a vital item in any kid's (or adult's) Lego set....
22 comments102 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2005
If you're worried about it flexing glue it to a piece of wood. If you get the right thickness of wood you can match the height of the board to the height of a regular brick (ie: 3 flats high). I've got two of them expoxyed to the center of a 2' x 4' piece of MDF (~ $3 + epoxy) and it works great on the carpet. There's extra room around the plates for building or running cars on, etc.
11 comment69 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 1999
And this is the biggest one Lego offers. I still have mine from childhood, so it does last if you are careful with it, but any child old enough to play with it could snap it in half without too much effort.
0Comment53 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2015
I used this in a project I built for my Grandson. He has other base plates but they were harder to move when he had built something on them.

It is basically a tray with handles and you add the baseplate to the bottom.

The child can build on the tray and when he has to move it just pick it up by the handles and put it away without having to dismantle the project.

I used plywood for the bottom and top grade pine for the sides. This baseplate fit perfectly in a bottom that I cut 15 1/8 inches X 15 1/8 inches.
Painted with a brush ( 2 coats) using a gloss Rustoleum paint . I have included a couple of photos .
review image review image
on January 7, 2010
I used this instantly when I got it. Great for bilding, but it would be better if it was thicker so I can build on carpet - I always have to put a board underneath to keep the pieces on it and the pieces pop off if I try to carry it.
on August 13, 2006
We ordered several and glued them to a plywood table. My two kids (boy, 9; girl,7)have built an entire lego city on it. There is no limit to the creativity. I HIGHLY recommend.
11 comment11 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
for those who fall for it. Look under "Bricks & More Building Plates" and you will find (as of this writing) the very same 15 x 15-inch base plate ("Building Plate" in LEGO terminology), with the very same item no. (628), with no indicated differences, and about $2.60 cheaper.

As always, it pays to shop around. Maybe even comparison-shop within this one vendor, when they get sloppy at times like this.
11 comment18 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2008
The big size is great. I would have expected this Lego plate to be more sturdy. When you pick it up, it sags, so it isn't good to carry it when you have something on top. It is just fine set on a table or hard flat surface though.
on August 5, 2009
This is probably a great plate for legos, but I bought it for my 18 month old to use with his duplo blocks and it doesn't work very well (even though it is advertised for both). Most of the duplo blocks will click on this plate, but it is hard for a very young child to do. I ended up buying a plate especially for duplo blocks which is much better. Will put this away until he is old enough for legos.
VINE VOICEon January 18, 2008
Without a baseplate, the world of Lego creativity is rather limited. Building with Legos sans baseplate is like building a house without pouring a foundation.

Sadly, these baseplates are thin and flexible, so you won't likely break it if you drop it, but you also aren't likely to get too far if you try to build that skyscraper on a shag carpet. I bought one of these for each of my boys and we'll either use them on the dining room table or use a hard surface over the carpet, or glue the baseplate to a thin piece of plywood.

Finally, you can get these at toy stores for about ten dollars, but for some reason I've seen these priced at two or three times that from various on line businesses. Shop around because it isn't necessary to pay much over ten bucks for these things.