Published on September 13, 2012 by Well Read

1.0 out of 5 stars Replacement phone also bad
First phone had battery cover that would not snap on and stay on. Snaps were not functional. Second (replacement phone had identical problem). Not used to having problems with Tracfone since products have performed well for over ten years. I expected better quality than this.
Published on November 6, 2012 by K. Lotter

5.0 out of 5 stars OCT2013 UPDATE Great phone, easy activation, value priced, uses Verizon network, September 13, 2012
This review is from: LG 221C Prepaid Phone With Double Minutes (Tracfone) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I bought this as a Tracfone via Prime and it was sold and shipped from Amazon which made it $14.99 to my door. I cannot believe this phone is priced this low because its build quality is good with nice large keys that are well lit. The screen is clear and a good size. It does not have a camera and I wouldn't use it for web browsing, or music. Butthis is a great basic phone for voice calls that does the job with no fuss. I gave it to my FIL to use when he makes short trips around town and it is perfect for that.

Since this is a CDMA Tracfone phone, Amazon's description of it as GSM is wrong, it will activate on the Verizon network. Since Verizon has great coverage were I live that is a plus. You cannot get this phone at a store in most areas since Tracfone's predominant carriers are GSM. If you want Verizon on a Tracfone this is your best bet. It is not Verizon service but this company uses Verizon's network.

This particular phone has "double minutes for life". This means when you add airtime via Tracfone's aircards your purchased amount is automatically doubled.

The chronology from purchase to first call.
1. Purchased via Prime and recieved in two days.
2. Opened package, set up phone and charged it.
3. Tried online activation but is was too much work since they wanted my personal information to set up an account.
4. Called the activation number and followed the simple directions.
5. I was slower than the activation system so I got punted to a real person who took all of one minute to help me finishand I was done. The activation process gave the phone 60 days of service with 10 minutes.
6. I purchased an instant activation Tracfone air card off eBay for $84 for 365 days and 450 minutes. I loaded this on the phone following the included directions that also had a bonus coupon that added 50 minutes. Since the phone automatically doubles the minutes my phone then had 425 days and 1,010 minutes.

This was all very easy and took about 5 minutes. So for $99 (or just $7/month) I have (for my FIL) about 70 minutes a month for the next 14 months. I have a Droid, Thrive, a laptop, and a Kindle but I find myself wanting this phone because it such a cheap and easy solution for making voice calls.

UPDATE OCTOBER 2013: No issues after a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars First phone, October 16, 2012
I bought this phone for my 78 yr. old aunt. I bought her a tracfone that used a gsm card .It would not work where she lives. So I purchased this phone that didn't need one. She loves it.The reception is good this is her first cell phone.Everyday she is learning more and more how to use the phone she is even starting to learn to text.This is a good first cell phone to get for child or senior.

5.0 out of 5 stars My All Time Favorite Phone, August 10, 2013
This LG 221C is great. Fourth phone I have had in ten years and it beats all the previous ones. Ergonomics are just perfect for my large fingers and old eyes. Very easy to program the features. Battery life is very good. I wanted a phone. I have a Laptop and a point and shoot camera for the other things. The LG 221C with Tracfone Service thru Verizon is aces. My old service was T-Mobile and with the Tracfone/Verizon service I have not found any weak or dead spots where I had a lot of them with T-Mobile, and I have more bars then my wifes phone with Sprint service.
This is every thing a phone person could want. I'm glad I bought two, and may soon buy another as my wife likes the LG221C better than her LG840G touchscreen.
When I got this phone I activated it with a Tracfone number. After a few days I decided it was a keeper. I went online on Tracfone and transferred my T-Mobile phone number. 30 minutes later my T-Mobile phone went dead and my old number showed up on my new LG221C. Outstanding service. I have finally found cell phone happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid phone, December 4, 2012
This phone does the job. It may not have a camera but it has great reception. This phone uses the Verizon network and that means excellent coverage. It's just like having Verizon without the heafty bill. If your looking for a good phone with great quality for a cheap price, this phone is the one for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fifteen months, works great., December 10, 2013
I bought this phone because I wanted a low cost "dumb" phone that just makes phone calls. No camera, no texting, no internet, Just a simple phone to make phone calls when I'm out and about.

That's what I got and it works great.

I had no trouble getting the battery lid on to the phone.

Sound reception through the earpiece is good but the speaker and ringer need to be louder.

No trouble with activation.

Double minutes is nice.

Update: 11/15/14

I've upgraded this to 5 stars. After 15 months, it's still going strong and the battery is still holding up well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sturdy, basic phone, March 9, 2013
My husband is a Luddite. He concedes to use a cell phone when it is an issue of safety or major inconvenience not too. So he doesn't care for bells and whistles. This doesn't have them, but it works, it's large enough for his man hands and easy to use. Thumbs up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great choice for kids, March 1, 2013
I bought this phone for my kids to take with them for emergency purposes and it functions great in that capacity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Replacement phone also bad, November 6, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars major problem, March 14, 2013
I bought the LG221C specifically because I needed a clamshell/flipphone with NO camera. I came, I activated it, then tried to put the back cover on. Wouldn't fit no matter what. I did a quick search and find that it is a common problem, not just with tracfones, but will all carriers who use this phone. They are all packaged with the wrong back cover. I have spent the last hour with LG on chat and on the phone trying to get a correct back cover. They wouldn't do ANYTHING except tell me to bring it to the store I purchased it from and get the right cover. Uh... I bought it on Amazon. "well tell Amazon to give you the right cover."
Finally I changed tactics and called parts and instead of saying it came wrong, told them I needed a replacement cover. Finally they were nice... however, still no joy. There are NO correct back covers for this phone available from LG. Very interesting since the date inside my phone said it was made 10/2012. It is now 3/2013 and they are apparently out of production and have no parts left.
I'm more angry with LG than with Tracfone or Amazon, LG tried to tell me that they don't package the phone, the carriers do. Well how come then that it is not just tracfone, it is other budget carriers and they all have similar comments about this phone? It seems like LG must have shipped them a batch of phone and backs that don't match.

I will try sending this back to Amazon and get another one, just in case I get lucky, but i'm not counting on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for us!, September 16, 2013
We were looking for a phone that is easy to use, has large numbers, easy to read screen, and works off Verizon. This phone is perfect for us! As part of the "over 50 crowd" we do not need lots of bells and whistles, just a reliable phone. We like the flip phone, and the sound quality is great. We are very happy with our purchase and would recommend this phone to our friends.