5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overall TV
Published on June 1, 2011 by Fred 123

3.0 out of 5 stars Average 1080p LCD, dead pixels on our first set
The brown plastic strip across the bottom looks like a sticker and we feel that it actually makes the TV look cheaper than it is. Solid piano black would have a cleaner look. -1 star on "curb appeal".

The first set we received came with a dead pixel in the center but the second one is good so far. -1 star on having to replace first unit.

Other than...
Published on August 5, 2011 by M

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent overall TV, June 1, 2011
UPDATE 06/26/2012: I have been really enjoying the TV for about a year now and am still amazed at the picture quality. I did contact LG recently about any harmful emissions or radiation that might come from the screen (as I use it quite a bit for both TV viewing and as a PC monitor), wondering if I should buy protective eye gear (I had been using various lens but decided to ask them before I purchased another pair....I had 2 pair break). They wrote back the same day and said that there is virtually no radiation from the screen.

End of UPDATE.

The set up is fairly easy although I found the manual to be lacking in more detail, especially concerning a better explanation of some of the features.

The HD picture is just AWESOME and BEAUTIFUL. I thought the screen might be a little too big for my computer but I was totally wrong....it is just great! I do not have a HDMI connector for the PC, only the RGB, but it is still just outstanding. Hook-up was a matter of just connecting the plugs.

The sound is better than good, but not great. (BELOW you will see how I was able to improve it....QUITE A BIT!!)

I was going to give it 4 stars because the non-HD channels are just good, and acceptable; but, the more I look at it, I realize it is actually pretty good. So, it warrants 5 stars.

I have seen a number of HDTVs, especially in showrooms, and this one seems to be better than those. It truly has an amazing picture with HD and I am very pleased with the purchase.

UPDATE 07/09/2011: After tinkering with the set for a month or so, I have been able to improve the sound CONSIDERABLY.....and it was pretty good to start with. Here's how I did it: Press "Menu", then "Audio". Turn "Auto" sound OFF! Next, I have the "Clear Voice II" turned "On" and set to 0 (the more I increased it to the maximum of +6, the more background static I got). MOST IMPORTANTLY, I use the "MUSIC" mode..this produces a much more dynamic sound! Then adjust Treble and Bass to your liking and CLOSE. I get a really great sound. I use 56 treble and 89 bass.

This is a 10/29/2012 UPDATE: I had ordered the Bose SOLO one piece system which is a single unit dedicated to increasing TV sound quality. I followed their instructions to the tee and used the best connection they recommended, as well as turning off the TV speakers when testing the sound. Oops.....the LG had a nicer and more dynamic sound! I have since returned the Bose system (they were great about taking it back....even paid for UPS return postage). Actually, the SOLO unit has gotten some bad reviews on here, even though more good than bad.

UPDATE 10/31/2012: After messing with the "Video" for over a year I have finally gotten what I consider to be a better picture than the "Standard" or "Intelligent Sensor" modes. Basically, I use the first option of 16:9 Ratio....then skip using the "Picture Wizard" (it is quite involved but it might work for you)....and chose the "Vivid (User)" option for the viewing mode. You can see what you like under the various adjustments of "Sharpness", "Contrast" etc.. Under "Advance Control", I have all the options set on "High" except for "Black Level", which I have on "Low". Then "Close".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV For The Money, May 19, 2011
This review is from: LG 42LK450 42-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I must preface my review by saying I didn't buy the LG 450 online, I bought it at a big box store because they had a better price:

I wanted an inexpensive TV for the bedroom and the LG 450 is a good choice, the picture quality is very good for it's price. I didn't need 120Hz so I saved $150 by buying the 60Hz model. The LG 450 has Expert ISF Settings so you can have it professionally calibrated or do it yourself, it has a built-in blue filter and calibration wizard. The ATSC tuner is very powerful because I get all the local stations OTA with an indoor antenna. This model is not internet enabled so you need a set top box to get Netflix, etc. As with all TV's the sound isn't great but it does have bass and treble controls. The USB port supports: JPG, MP3, MPG, MP4. The manual states other video formats are supported but they wouldn't work on my TV.

Inputs:
Composite(2)

Outputs:
3.5mm headphone
Toslink optical

I recommend these basic settings(YMMV):
1. Turn off Dynamic Contrast.
2. Turn off Auto Energy Saving.
3. Turn on Real Cinema, if your Blu-ray player supports 24p then turn that on as well.
4. Select Just Scan.
5. In Sound Modes select Music or Cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, May 27, 2011
== UPDATE 2/22/13 ==

After owning this TV for about a year now, I my recommendation still stands. Runs like a champ, I haven't had a single issue. I will probably not upgrade for another year.

== Original Review ==

I honestly didn't know what to expect. I bought this TV on sale at Best Buy for 100 dollars off. I was in the market for a new TV, actually my first TV purchase.

After a week of use, I am very very pleased with my purchase.

The picture quality is fantastic. Every aspect of the picture can be customized- how warm the picture is, brightness, gamma exposure, etc. Let me say, out of the box the picture was great, this options are more for if you are very particular.

The sound quality is adequate. Not the absolute best, but it is a very solid TV. My dad's bravia's sound quality is a lot worse so I am thankful that this setup is good.

As far as features are concerned- it has all of the standards (sleep timer, auto-on/off, etc). It is missing picture-in-picture but this seems almost irrelevant for the size of the TV. I am throughly impressed with the number of inputs and outputs on this TV. 3 HDMI ports, 2 regular RCA (red, white, yellow) inputs, and the PC cord. The PC cord input even has a headphone audio input! This makes using my long cord very easy and converter free.

As a note, I use the TV with my PS3 and PC, and both look and sound fantastic.

I am very pleased with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome low end TV, June 9, 2011
Tan (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I've been watching HD TV and movies from the LCD monitor on my computer for the last few years because I vowed I would not spend more than $500 for a boob tube, but now I've finally found something that I would be happy with for $499. This LG is a very basic, no-frills TV, but it's all that I need in a TV. The features are very base level and the specs on the contrast may make it seem like it has a phenomenal picture but it's really just average for this price range, which is to say that it's perfectly adequate. It's basically what you would expect from an IPS panel. You can move around the room and the image is perfectly viewable no matter where you sit. The backlight is adequate and turned all the way up is not glaring.

One of the first things you'll notice is that the power "button" is not a button, but a touch-sensitive area that requires no effort to turn on. That's nice because the TV is so light that pressing a conventional button on this TV would probably move it around a tiny bit. The TV takes a few seconds before you see an image but that's quite tolerable. Changing channels is about as fast as other recent TVs but definitely slower than a computer with a USB tuner. That's perfectly fine for me since I don't intend to channel surf with this TV.

It's nice that the unit offers a calibration wizard but I did not like how the recommended contrast setting made darker images lose detail. I ended up turning the contrast almost all the way up. There's really not much to say about the image quality. It's perfectly decent and I didn't find any noticeable flaws. So far I've mostly used it to play Lego Batman and there is no image lag that I've read about in other TVs. One thing I've noticed is that with computer to HDMI connections, the default is overscan mode so you have to adjust your video settings to decrease the image size to fit entirely within the TV screen. Once you do the image looks great. There is also VGA port, but that it does not handle full HD resolution.

There are two menu systems, a quick menu and a more comprehensive menu that gives you all of the controls that you would ever need. That's thoughtful of LG as I've always disliked having to delve deeply into a menu system to do something as simple as deleting an unwanted channel. It still takes a minimum of three presses though. It would be nice if they had provided a button just for that on the remote.

Like many TVs at this price point, it only provides optical audio out which is ironic since most buyers of cheaper TVs don't have stereo systems that have optical in. Fortunately, there is at least a headphone port that can be used to connect to computer speakers or even a stereo receiver. This is important because the performance of the built-in speakers are not proportional to the size of the screen. At 42" this is a decent size for a small home theater yet the speakers cannot provide that experience. That's OK--I didn't expect it to and I've got external speakers to take over.

Although they skimped on the audio out, they covered the video inputs well. There are component as well as composite inputs as well as three HDMI ports. And there is a conventional USB port instead of the more limited memory card reader. I played a couple videos through USB and it handled the job flawlessly. I was very pleased to find that it kept track of where you stopped a video last time you watched it. It's little things like that that make this TV stand out from cheaper ones.

I did a ton of shopping to find something with a good picture that doesn't break the bank. Many new TVs sold now are much more expensive and have a lot of buzzword features which this unit does not have. This unit is basically a brand new TV with last year's features. I'm fine with that as long as I get a bigger screen for the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average 1080p LCD, dead pixels on our first set, August 5, 2011

Other than that, this is our third HDTV and the details are what you'd expect from 1080p. Side by side with the Samsung equivalent (both tv's set to default settings) the colors are noticibly less vivid. Even when toying with the settings, it just doesn't have the same WOW factor. For almost $100 cheaper (listed $379 at time of review), ~25% at this price point, worth the minor sacrifice.

All in all, happy with the purchase and would buy LG again as long as they continue to price lower than the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars New to HDTV, June 16, 2011
I'm finally coming into the 21st century with a flat panel HDTV. When the big switch came to HDTV, my satellite provider said their signal would be adjusted and I wouldn't need to upgrade the receiver or my older 27" Zenith since it was still functioning perfectly. Recently, my Zenith started acting up so I started shopping for a new TV and settled on the LG 32LK450 1080P. All I can say is WOW!!! I'm sorry now that I waited so long to upgrade. I connected it to the receiver I was using with the Zenith but will be having the satellite system upgraded to HD next week. With the awesome quality of the picture already, it is hard to imagine it could get any better. I'm not a techno geek so the audio for me was fine right out of the box. All I had to do is take it out of the carton, attach the stand, and plug it in. When turning it on the first time, there were a couple on-screen settings to put in order then it was ready to enjoy. Amazon had the best price I could find so they got my order. Standard shipping took a reasonable 7 days from their warehouse to my house. I like this unit so much I'm now looking at buying a second one in the 42" model.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG The Best!, May 17, 2011
I am so pleased with my purchase. This TV has great picture & sound. The menu is almost idoit proof! My husband and I like different settings when watching tv so changing options frequently has become so easy with this tv. We never found a better price for this model! I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great TV... AMAZING PICTURE...GREAT BUY!!, July 23, 2011
GREAT TELEVISION!! In my opinion this is a great buy. It works perfect for gaming and television. because of its crystal clear 1080p resolution. it has a 4ms response time, which is phenomenal. it has a 60 Hz refresh rate. It has a 100000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio. This is a very nice LCD TV by LG. and i recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a 32" LCD TV. I am writing this review from this tv actually. i just put in the vga cord from my computer then switched it over to pc. Amazing quality!!Sound is Quite good. I tested it at max and it was loud enough to quickly turn it back down :).
i made a video review of this Television, the link for the review is in the comments.. i think it will help you with your decision :)...

EDIT: I have now owned this TV for a month..(and one day) and I can still say I have nothing I dislike about this TV. it is sturdy, great sound, and great picture. I use it for TV, computer, and Xbox. I found out you get the best sound by setting the audio to [ CLEAR VOICE II: ON-Level 3 SOUND MODE: Music Treble 82 / Bass 70 ] . Please check out my Video review too.. it was to big to post a video review on amazon :/ the link for the video is in the comments. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic low-end LCD TV., September 16, 2011
I was recently in the market for a basic 40"-ish LCD TV for my bedroom and just happened to stumble upon this gem of a set. I did not require internet connectivity, smart functions, Hulu, Netflix, True-motion processing, 3D, automatic espresso's, or a shiatsu back massage. All I required was a nice screen so that I could watch direct tv and blu-rays with my fiancee. So when I recently received a kindle special offer for $100 off on HDTV's sold by Amazon, I decided that it was meant to be.

I ended up purchasing this set for $397.00 shipped to my door (On 09/12/11). Simply a mind blowing price for a full 1080p 42" lcd screen. I am pleased to say this set has already past my expectations for a product at this price point. The TV took me less than 10 minutes to get set up (by myself), and the picture is just incredible. I have a 2010 Samsung 46" LED LCD TV in my den that I paid $1400 for last year. This set looks just as good, and its very hard to see the size difference between the two screens. I almost feel like I'm watching the same TV, but for $1000 less.

The sound is a bit lacking (as noted in other reviews), and the inclusion of only an optical out for audio is puzzling since most people looking for a low end tv still use analog audio. Luckily my bedroom stereo has an optical input.

Pros:
- Price
- Fantastic Picture... Rich colors, bright whites, dark blacks, etc...
- Easy to use menu
- 3 HDMI outs and a USB input
- Price

Cons:
- Speakers are lacking
- No analog audio out

Conclusion:
This TV is a fantastic purchase if you're looking for a bare bones 40"-42" LCD TV. You'll be hard pressed to find better than the LG 42LK450.

5.0 out of 5 stars First reviewer's experience, July 26, 2011
I haven't seen too many reviews for this so I'll try and give one. Like the other reviewer this is my first HDTV so if there was anything bad to say about this tv it would have to be pretty significant. I don't see any Y in the product code anywhere so I guess it's entirely possible that Amazon only sells the VA versions and not the IPS.

Overall, the color and resolution is great and so is the sound. Xbox games look fantastic and HD movies are clear. With about only 6 screws the floor stand assembly wasn't difficult at all and connecting devices to the tv is also very hassle-free with a few HDMI and USB ports on the side as well as the back. Lastly, the remote doesn't take long to learn and is free of convoluted unnecessary buttons.
The options menu is very easy to navigate. Adjusting the picture isn't difficult at all. Along with the normal picture adjustment settings there are preset picture setting shortcuts that are for specific functions (ex. sports, gaming, movies, ect.) making it very easy to switch from one viewing experience to another if you're that type of person. The lighting issues that some other people might be having are easily fixed by going into the display options and changing the picture mode (intelligent sensor issue) or just by lowering/turning off the energy saver option (screen dimming issue).

Hooking my pc up to the tv was extremely easy; the only problem was getting an audio cable that connects the pc to the tv speakers. I doubt most people would try this but you can just use the same cable that they sell at Walmart for about $10 that connects a mp3 player to your car's head unit and not have any problems.

The only problem I have is that the tv display of the computer screen is a little too large and cuts off the very right side just enough to where you can't see the vertical scrolling bar for internet explorer or any programs' red close button. I tried fixing this but the manual says that some graphics cards cause the image to not be positioned correctly on the screen so I guess it's not a common problem.

Rate and Discover Movies