5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant 3D HDTV at an outstanding price, December 11, 2012
B. Willis (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG 42LM3700 42" 1080p 60Hz LED 3D TV w/ Soundbar (Electronics)
I just received my LG 42LM3700 and I couldn't be happier. To begin, I downloaded a firmware update from the LG site and then transferred the firmware update to a usb flash drive. Plugged in the usb drive to the back of the TV and once I turned it on, it updated the firmware automatically in a couple minutes or so. I think this update improved 3D, or something like that.

Setup was very easy and the TV was up and running in no time. Picture quality is really, really good, to my eyes. I had some people telling me I'd see some blurring on sports and such because it's 60hz, but I've been watching sports channels and have seen little evidence of blurring so far. Maybe the firmware update corrected this.

I ran the Picture Wizard which did a pretty good job adjusting the color, but here's how I got the best picture. Click on "Settings" and then on "Picture". Select "Energy Saving" and "Auto". I selected "Min. Luminance 32" and "Sensing strength: 3". I then selected "Intelligent Sensor" which adapts the picture to your room's lighting and colors. To my eyes, the picture quality is better than what was obtained with the Picture Wizard. I've seen some complain about the Energy Saving feature, stating that it was too dim, but I think that they didn't set the minimum luminance setting properly.

I did not set up the sound bar in my home theater because I already have an excellent surround sound system. However, I did hear the sound bar in action at an electronics store and it sounded pretty good, although not as good as a decent surround sound system. But if you don't have a surround sound system, using the sound bar will give you a much better audio experience than using the TV's small internal speakers. The soundbar is LG NB2022A (40 watts). It connects to the TV via Toslink digital optical cable.

Additional note: I'm now using the soundbar w/a different HDTV in the bedroom. It has good sound but not great sound. Better than the stock built-in speakers for sure. Also in the soundbar box is a Toslink cable, a remote control, a wall mounting bracket, a paper guide to assist with the wall mount, and extension feet for the bottom of the soundbar, if needed.

But back to the picture. As mentioned, it's extremely good. I believe this HDTV uses side-lit LEDs and the picture is crisp, bold and sharp. I can't test it with a 3D Blu-Ray player yet (asked for one for Christmas), but I can tell you that the 2D to 3D conversion is surprisingly good. It's way, way better than what I expected. Makes 2D look like original 3D content to a great extent, although obviously true 3D content will generally look better. But the point is that the 2D to 3D conversion is very good and will probably surprise you as well. (Update: I got a Sony 3D Blu-Ray player and 3D movies kick you know what. Avatar looks fantastic on this TV).

I just subscribed to ESPN 3D, which is the only 3D channel that my local cable company offers. While the effect is somewhat gimmicky, it's also very cool and clear. Cheerleaders look like they're practically in my living room. The cable company had to swap out my DVR and replace it with a Samsung box that's 3D capable (no extra charge and a larger hard drive). Be aware that if you add a true 3D channel, you may see a split screen image. You will correct that by selecting 3D on the remote and scrolling to the split screen image icon that looks like what you're seeing. Also, the 3D image can only be passed to the HDTV via HDMI. You can watch pretty much anything via component, including 2D to 3D conversion, but you'll need an HDMI connection to watch true 3D.

The HDTV also comes with 4 pair of passive 3D glasses. I normally wear prescription glasses, so I needed the LG flip-up, clip-on glasses. The best way to acquire these is by purchasing LG AG-F216 Cinema 3D Glasses Family Pack (6-Pairs) for 2011 and 2012 LG Cinema 3D HDTVs on Amazon. You get 6 pair of 3D glasses for very cheap. 2 of the pair are standard glasses, 2 clip-on pair, and 2 children's glasses. I bought the 6 pair family pack for less money than it would have cost for the clip-on glasses.

I like this TV a whole lot and looked at a lot of TVs before my purchase. I'd challenge you to find a 1080p LED HDTV with a sound bar, 4 pair of 3D glasses a great picture and 3D functionality at this price. You're not going to be able to do it, as of this writing.

Criticisms? Internal speakers are mediocre at best, although that won't matter because you have a sound bar (or home theater). I would prefer more than 2 hdmi ports, but I can make do with 2. I also wouldn't mind more than 1 set of component jacks, but again I can make do and most wouldn't need this. Let me also add that this HDTV can apparently not pass the DTS audio signal. An easy way around this is to use a digital audio cable (coax or Toslink) directly to your receiver and use the hdmi for the picture only.

But really, it's a brilliant HDTV and extremely well-priced. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than my 60" Mitsubishi DLP 3D TV, December 13, 2012
I'm quite pleased with my new LG 42" 3D TV with Soundbar. I was also considering getting a Vizio but I chose the LG after seeing it had better reviews, 2D to 3D conversion, and a Soundbar. I was skeptical about the passive 3D (as I have an active shutter 3D system already) but decided it was worth a try. I'm glad I took the chance. I like this TV even better than my 60" Mitsubishi DLP 3D TV (I'm not knocking the Mitsubishi, it is an excellent value if you are looking for a GIANT TV with 3D capabilities for your living room without spending more than $1000).

2D to 3D conversion:
This is actually much better than I expected. I watched "Underworld" on SyFy channel, and it certainly had depth. There was some blur during action scenes, but I think that is an part of the conversion process and it did not distract from the enjoyment of the movie. You can also adjust the 3D depth and other settings to make the conversion more or less drastic. Turning on the 2D to 3D conversion is easy, just press the 3D button on the remote and select the 2D to 3D option. The nice thing is that not only can it convert TV shows, it can convert regular DVDs. I've been hoping that they will re-release the movie "300" in 3D but now I don't have to wait! I am eager to re-watch all my DVDs now.

3D Blu Ray:
The quality also exceeds my expectations. I had read about the differences between active shutter and passive 3D technology, and I was concerned that the quality would be lacking. The quality is excellent. It is every bit as good as the movie theater. In comparison to my active shutter Mitsubishi DLP, I would rank the passive 3D LG as just as good, and in some ways better. The glasses are light and comfortable, and the movie appears brighter (the active shutter glasses for my Mitsubishi DLP are thicker and darker, and the DLP projection rather than LCD might also contribute to that movie seeming darker on the Mitsubishi DLP, which makes me feel like I am trying to watch a movie with sunglasses on). According to reviews I have read, active shutter 3D may be more detailed than the passive 3D, but I've not been able to notice a difference... I'm too busy being enamored by the richness of the colors of my LG compared to my Mitsubishi DLP (Avatar 3D is GORGEOUS on this LG!). If you sit too close to the LG you will see some artifacts on 3D text, and you might see some slight doubling of the images. But when you sit at the recommended distance from the TV these things are not noticeable and the picture is fantastic. Watching 3D movies on the LG is also easier than watching 3D movies on my Mitsubishi DLP. The Mitsubishi DLP requires an additional emitter which adds extra steps, and sometimes it doesn't cooperate and you will see a split screen. This may be user error (it's highly likely, but frustrating nonetheless). I greatly enjoy that the LG is very easy to use. You just put your 3D disc in your blue ray player and press play. The LG will tell you to put on your 3D glasses and enjoy the show. And it is quite enjoyable indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, December 8, 2012
Bought this TV after a marble mysteriously broke my 50" plasma. I did not really care about 3D but saw this in the Best Buy Weekly Special ($579). Not wanting to spend $600 to buy something I already had, I thought this might add some fun to the purchase. I was not disappointed. The 3D works as well as the theater. Better yet, you can use the theater glasses on this TV in case the included glasses break or walk away. No need to spend $50 for the active 3D glasses featured on other TV brands. Picture quality is great and the sound bar is good. The feature to make 2D into 3D also works very well even on XBOX and PS3. If you are OK with a 42" screen, you will be very happy with this TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best 3D TV Combo for the price!, March 17, 2014
After long reviews and searching, I found this 3D TV combo. It is discontinued now and very hard to find. Every retail site is out of stock. I found this Seller with this combo here on Amazon(Only place you will find this tv now). The TV is great!! The 3D is great!! The sound bar it comes with is great!! By far the best TV i ever bought for so cheap. The seller gets an A+ rating from me. They had it shipped 3rd party direct to me 2 days after purchase. The seller is a great store in NYC that has been there over 30 years and there service is top standard!!! Thanks again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST 3D TV with the BEST price!!!, January 25, 2013
What else can I say about this AWESOME product. It offers the full range of 3D features (Side-By-Side, Over-Under, etc), which can each be adjusted and tweaked (depth and angle) to suit your viewing preference. Be aware that this isn't a SmartTV and does not connect to the internet, it is purely a 3D LCD TV and it does the 3D part EXTREMELY well.

Just played DMC for PS3 (which isn't natively a 3D game) using the 2D to 3D feature and I was blown away. It looks even better than the ones which are actually made as stereoscopic 3D games (e.g. Uncharted 3).

The only partially negative things I can say, is that the sound from the TV isn't as loud and filled with bass like other LG models, but that's where the Sound Bar comes in to save the day. Connecting to a PC can only be done via HDMI cable, as the TV does not have a VGA input port.

Remember to download and install the firmware update (via USB) before setting it up: [...]

-- chaosxj349 --

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the 2D to3D conversion, January 18, 2013
After we purchsed this tv just for the 3D aspect and cost we find out that it will convert 2D to 3D. OMG!! Bladerunner, Star Wars, even a copy DVD of Mission Impossible is pretty good 3D. Its not as good as a tru 3D Blu Ray but for this price it can not be beat. I was having a issue with my right eye hurting when using the provided 3D glasses with the tv. I tried the Real D 3D glasses you keep from watching a 3D movie in the theatre and they work great with no discomfort at all now when watching multiple movies with them on..
Highly recomend this tv...

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Pleased!, December 1, 2013
The TV works perfectly ( as it should) and was easy to program. Along with my subscription to a TV service, I have no complaints about the two working together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lg 3d tv, October 2, 2013
Tv has very clear pic and the 3d on is very nice my kids love the 3d and it good for game consoles ps3 Xbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, January 28, 2013
It has easy options to use and looks great in my house on my fireplace mantle. The sound is amazing.

Rate and Discover Movies