Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG 501C Prepaid Phone (Tracfone)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on March 8, 2012
I just bought this as part of a tracfone bundle that came with double minutes for life. Thus far, I like it pretty well. It uses CDMA (that's the Verizon etc. network, rather than AT&T) and the reception is comparable to that of my old Verizon phone in the same areas. I live in a rural part of Maine, so reception is paramount and it truly matters which carrier you choose. For my own cell phone use habits, this phone pretty much has everything I need as I don't browse the internet on my phone and have an ipod if want download apps. (This phone is not capable of using apps). The only deficiency this phone has that really bothers me is that there is no micro SD slot, so if you want to transfer data directly to your computer that way, you're out of luck. I just spent an hour searching LG forums and their site hoping this was some kind of mistake, but it doesn't look like it is. I'm not sure how this will work for pictures yet. However, I was able to send the contact list from my old phone to this one via Bluetooth, so all is not lost.

Lastly, if you are particular about this kind of thing, you'll probably want a case for this one, it seems like it will scratch easily.

So here it is, a list of the pros and cons.

Pros:
It's afordable
Good reception in this rural Maine and rural New Hampshire.
Slick look and easy interface.
Bright screen
The camera is comparable to the 1.3 megapixel camera on my old phone
It's pretty lightweight for its size
Qwerty keyboard
Minutes and airtime are conveniently displayed so I'm never left guessing
Double minutes for life, which is a necessity

Cons:
No microSD card. Bluetooth works for contact list transfer, but I'm not sure about other data yet or if you can transfer it via USB.
No idea how much internal memory the phone has
According to the tracfone TOS, if you don't keep your service active, you will lose your phone number, so you must add airtime BEFORE it runs out. It can be reactivated at any time, but they will assign you a new number.
77 comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2012
Quality and easy to use phone and camera. Very comparable to the LG500g GSM but wider reception area via Verizon. Both phones have less battery life than the LG290c and the 290c seems to be more sensitive thus better reception in remote areas. I find this phone easier to use for text messages with a full keyboard than the 290c. If you need a CDMA phone and want a full keyboard, I would very much recommend this phone.

Update July 18, 2012 - I have used this phone in many locations since I purchased it. It does a very good job on the Verizon network, much better than my similar 500g GSM phone. I also used the camera on an accident investigation and the pictures were very useful...only wish you could directly down load them or put them on a memory card. I have no negatives to report and have found the keyboard easy to use with my "fat" fingers. For a basic + phone, I highly recommend and well worth the cost.
on July 14, 2012
This phone is in some ways much nicer than my previous non-keyboard phones.

Pro:
1. keyboard is much nicer than endless repetitive button pressing only to go too far and have to cycle through the extended character set all over again. Keyboard is small but with the right technique it can be mastered by most.
2. better speaker phone audio than many
3. has bluetooth- of course most do now.
4. adequate battery life. For me at least.
5. CDMA- can access Verizon networks even though mine is a Tracfone- essential for coverage in some areas.
6. price is right!

Cons:
1. no external memory. But internal memory seems pretty adequate.
2. no MP3 player. But I want a phone not a toy, so not really a complaint.
3. poor camera. But better than no camera I suppose. Hardly a deal breaker for someone needing a cheap basic phone.

Bottom line: This is a really decent cheap basic CDMA text friendly phone which works fine even in outlying areas. Perfect phone for me- I am quite happy with it. BTW- the gel covers here on Amazon which might be labeled for LG UN200 Saber are a PERFECT fit.
on July 24, 2012
The phone is okay, not a problem. Problem is that this particular phone does not work in my Zip Code at all. So, check to be sure that this phone works in your zip code. I received a replacement tracfone, so it will work in my zip code. So far, so good.
on December 25, 2012
gets better reception them most other phones. easy to use. hubby learned to text on this phone so that says alot
on January 30, 2014
I've had my Tracfone LG 501C for a year now and this one is the best one I've ever had! Great reception most everywhere. The text messaging has always worked everywhere! Camera takes excellent pictures! Love mine! Excellent buy and choice!
on January 26, 2013
Purchased for our jr. high daughter so she could keep in touch with us.
I see know way to get voice, text and web access cheaper ... must admit she rarely uses it ... but that is fine when we are not spending much for it.
on June 30, 2014
Purchased this phone from JOYCELL, Tracfone will not activate them as they are not registered. Likely stolen! Buyer beware from Joycells!!
on May 3, 2014
I gave this 5 stars for it's sheer durability. I don't text or call out on my cell a lot, so double minutes for life is a great deal for me, but I' moving on to a smartphone from tracfone with triple minutes for life, and that'll be even better. The LG501C for me has been phenomenal. I've dropped it from pretty high places, on accident of course, but this thing won't die. It's fell into a few puddles and still works great. I live some rural mountains of NC and cell coverage for me if spotty at best, but since it uses verizon towers, I get better signal than probably most people here who use our local cell provider, and my text get sent straight away where their texts seem to get lost somewhere and do not get received until a few hours or even a day or two later. Overall, this is a tough phone with little to no amenities, but for texting, emergency calls, and the like, it does the job, and it will last forever, as long as you don't take a sledgehammer or something to it. One last thing, I also never put a case or screen protector on mine, and even scratched up, the screen has never failed me and almost all the scratches don't affect the viewing of the screen. Again, 5 stars, great basic device.
on January 31, 2014
The one thing I really don't like about this phone is that you are limited to 160 characters per text. It deducts .30 mins from you time when you text 160 characters or less. I bet you didn't realize that 160 characters if @ 2 1/2 sentences....not a lot of verbage.