5.0 out of 5 stars LG 505c a semi-smart phone
Published on November 7, 2012 by N Lester

Bought this phone for my daughter for her 15th birthday to replace a similar Samsung Net10 GSM phone, the 404G.

PROs:

1) It's a CDMA phone, so it works on Verizon's (not ATT's) network
Published 23 months ago by R. Hartzell

5.0 out of 5 stars LG 505c a semi-smart phone, November 7, 2012
N Lester (Wirtz, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG 505C Prepaid Phone With Triple Minutes (Tracfone) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The LG 505c is what I consider a semi-smart phone. Previously, I had the Droid X2, so I was used to a LOT of features. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to keep it and the Verizon service once I left my past employer, so I went searching for the things which were most important to me: a touch screen, qwerty keyboard, full contacts list (has spots for multiple phone numbers, email addresses, full options for a physical address, etc) and basic browser capabilities. I don't try to surf the web on the phone, that's not important to me ( I have a tablet for that), but I can access my email, which is good. The LG 505c from Tracfone does all of the above extremely well (well the browser is a bit slow, but oh well...). It also holds a charge for a week or more with light use and has very good sound quality. If you are a light to moderate user, you really can't beat the price for the phone or for the minutes purchased. I would definitely purchase it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, September 22, 2012
Works everywhere. Clear sound and no problems texting. Perfect for rural areas with older towers and you can't beat triple minutes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works in rural areas, November 5, 2012
I tried the LG800G, but I had coverage issues with Tracfone. This phone gets much better reception and cooperates with Verizon and USCellular towers that the ATT programed 800g phones don't like. The touchscreen seems more sensitive on this phone compared to the 800g. I really like the slider keyboard. For me the keyboard is much easier to use than the touchscreen keyboard on the 800g. Screen size isn't much different, but it is slightly smaller. The phone works great and does everything I need it to. The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is the camera is only 1.2 megapixels compared to the 2.0 on the 800g. It also doesn't record video like the 800g. The triple minute feature is well worth the price of the phone. One other nice feature is the micro SD card can slide right in to the side of the phone without having to remove the cover and battery to access it. I can pop the card out and use it in my desktop reader any time I need without tearing the phone apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bang for the buck!, June 28, 2013
I like this little phone a lot and it's pretty simple to run. For the past 3 years Ive had an Verizon LG Octane that was rock solid. Both phones are real similar in basic task not much of a learning curve other than its a touch screen making things a bit easier to run. I consider myself a light user doing a few text a day and maybe a few calls each month so it just made sense to get out of a huge contract and use a pay as you go service like tracfone. Make sure you know what your getting into.
1. this is not a smart phone.
2. If your a heavy user, (txting, calling, interneting) this phone is not for you.
3. make sure this phone is supported in your city. I went to tracfone web site and found out what phones I could use.

Pro's
Cheap low cost phone at about $10.50 a month. Verizon network with clear reception in Iowa. Keyboard is handy for txting and its a pretty light weight device for the pocket. 1 year warranty for those if things go wrong, but hey at $22 your not out much.
Con's
I really can't come up with any yet since it's a week old. I'll update later if I have big gripes.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG 505C, August 15, 2012
Sandra Shelton (Eden, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I've had the phone for a week or so now. It's a bit bulky but I really like the keyboard. It functions well and has a lot of nice features. I would recommend it folks who don't necessarily want to browse the web, etc. with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone (for Tracfone), October 5, 2012
I picked up this phone because it runs on the Verizon network, that has much better coverage than the ATT and Sprint network phones in my area. Battery life could be better, but on the whole this phone does exactly what I need a Tracfone to do. It makes calls and texts. The touch screen is responsive, but it is a resistive screen not a capacitive screen, so no multi-touch or anything fancy like that. The keyboard is tiny, but much better than than typing on the touch screen. It has a nice loud speaker and the call quality is good. I have not tried to use the music player, but it does have a micro SD slot for expansion memory. As a side note I wish that Trac had more Verizon network phones.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice 'little" Phone with "BIG" Triple Minutes, December 6, 2013
I purchased a new LG-505C from the Tracfone website. It arrived two days later via FedEx.

I don't text very often, and I call even less, so I rarely use a cell phone. But when I do, I expect it to work. I bought this Verizon-network CDMA slider phone to replace a Samsung Gravity T-669 slider that I used on T-Mobile's GSM network--which just didn't provide adequate coverage for my needs.

The Samsung slider is slightly bigger and more substantial and it has some great features, but it also has its drawbacks. The keyboard on this LG is about the same size as the Samsung's, but the LG keyboard has two distinct advantages. First, it has a separate number row, so you don't have to press the function key every time you want to enter a number. Second, the writing on the LG's keys is all in white, which makes everything much easier to see. On the Samsung, the letters and numbers were in white, but the symbols were in dark red (on black keys) which made them almost impossible to see. You either had to memorize where the symbols were located on the keyboard or use a flashlight to find them. Seriously!

As for the size of the keys--on either phone--I have big fingers, so I almost always use a stylus (okay, it's really an ink pen) to press the keys and to navigate the touch screen. If I don't have access to a "stylus," I have to carefully use the very tip of my finger, which can be rather challenging. Regardless, I find a slider keyboard easier to use than, say, a virtual keyboard in portrait mode on an iPhone.

I used the Tracfone web site to port my existing number. The process was flawless and only took about 30 minutes to complete.

As for texting, the limitation of 160 characters is annoying. My previous phone/network let me type as much as I needed to, then it automatically broke apart the message and sent multiple SMSs, as needed. Note: I've read that you can use the MMS picture message function to send more than 160 characters, but it costs a full minute to send a MMS. If the recipient then hits "Reply" and sends you a return message, it'll come back as a MMS, which will cost you another minute, so be forewarned.

As mentioned in many of these reviews, the touch screen on this phone is very sensitive. For example, it can be next to impossible to scroll without opening whatever feature your finger touches when you attempt to scroll the screen. Performing a screen calibration does not help with the sensitivity. I've read that installing a screen protector helps reduce the sensitivity, which makes sense, but I've not tried it myself. (Update 12/20/2013: I installed an "Xtreme Guard" brand screen protector, and it reduced the touch-screen sensitivity by just the right amount. It is much easier now to scroll, without constantly opening the wrong thing. It still happens occasionally, but a LOT less often.)

One BIG plus to this little phone is the "triple minutes for life" feature. What a great bargain! Also, as mentioned previously, this phone is smaller than it appears in the picture. Honestly, it's considerably smaller than I thought it would be, but that just make's it easier to carry in a pocket. (Update 12/20/2013: I installed a two-piece ribbed, rubberized hard case (that came with a holster) which makes this little phone much easier to grip, which ultimately makes texting much easier. Before having the the rubberized case, the phone was somewhat slippery and hard for me to hold on to when typing.)

The included apps are adequate but could be laid out better and be more flexible. For example, it would be nice if the "Contacts" icon could be added to the Home screen or to the Quick Launch bar. Granted, there is a separate screen for frequently used contacts, but I'd prefer to have an icon right on the main Home screen. I also wish the Calendar app would display a list of ALL scheduled events. As it is, you have to tap on the individual date to view any event(s) for that one particular day only. There's no way (that I've found) to display a full list of ALL events.

The included web browser works, but I've always found it extremely slow and quite painful to surf on non-smart phones with such small screens, so I don't use the browser function.

Just so you know, there's no e-mail app included. Personally, I've never used my phone to process e-mail, so I don't miss it. However, if you do use your phone for e-mail, you should probably consider a different model . . . I suppose you could always use the web browser to check e-mail, but that'd be very slow and expensive.

I find that both the "Lock" button and the "Camera" button, on the right side of the phone, are difficult to push. These buttons are located on the bottom (keyboard) half of the phone body, which has a curve to it that makes those buttons difficult to access--at least for my big fingers. Ironically, the "Volume" rocker, on the left side of the phone, doesn't seem to be nearly as difficult to push as those two buttons are on the right side . . . things that make you go "Hmmm."

As for the camera itself, I don't use it personally. But, still, 1.2 MP seems kinda pathetic. Also, I understand that there is no video function on this phone.

I installed an 8GB micro SD card loaded with music. The phone itself sounds okay when playing music through the built-in speaker. The sound improves greatly when listening through a good set of earphones. BTW: To view/access the micro SD card, when the phone is plugged into a computer, go to "Settings" then "USB Mass Storage" and select "On."

Speaking of sound, the call quality, both incoming and outgoing, are quite good with this phone. I wish the speaker was a little easier to engage during an active call.

I call overseas a lot, and Tracfone's international rate to Germany, for instance, is the same as it is for domestic calls. One of the coolest Tracfone features, for me anyway, is the ability to assign a "1-888" number to frequently-called international numbers. This keeps me from having to dial Tracfone's 1-800 International Access Number, then having to type in the appropriate Int'l access code + country code + phone number. You can assign the "1-888" number to a speed dial, then simply press and hold only ONE key to call overseas (as opposed to finger dialing 25+ digits). Sweet!

Overall, given the combined price of this phone and the prepaid minutes, plus access to Verizon's network, I'm satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good phone, April 5, 2013
This phone had the features that my son wanted...touch screen and full keypad. I like the size and weight of the phone. There was a 200 minute card included. The only problem we had was dealing with the Tracfone employees. It took 3 days, several calls and being on hold for over 2 hours to get his phone number and minutes transferred from his old phone to this one. Basically, the phone is great, but customer service from the provider is dismal.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am a teen girl and I like the phone, May 24, 2013
It came in its original packaging.When I activated the phone it came with 20 starter minutes instead of 10.
I have had this phone for a year now and I still like it. It's not a smart phone but I don't need nor do I care to have one. I am 15 by the way. It is a great phone for a good price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, kind of pricey -- but hey, it uses Verizon's network, December 14, 2012

PROs:

1) It's a CDMA phone, so it works on Verizon's (not ATT's) network
2) Triple minutes for life makes the phone quite economical; to get the cheapest minutes buy a block of 450 for $80 and take advantage of whatever promo code Tracfone offers. I just bought 450 with a 70 minute bonus for $80 plus $8 tax and got 450 x 3 + 70 = 1420 minutes for a cost/minute of 6.2 cents. Since texting costs 1/3 of a minute the price of sending or receiving a text is just over 2 cents. Experience indicates my daughter can go over 3 months on 1420 minutes, so the monthly cost is less than $30.
3) Has a true QWERTY keyboard

CONs:

1) Touch screen is hinky -- the one time I used it I found it virtually impossible to scroll
2) Not a 3G phone; not even sure if it's 2.5
3) Keyboard is cramped compared to that of the Samsung 404G, but it doesn't seem to stop my daughter from using it
4) The phone feels quite solid and not at all junky, but given the other cons I don't think it's worth 90 bucks -- especially since for that money you can get a low-end touch screen Android phone from Virgin Mobile (though, admittedly, by doing so you're giving up Verizon for VM's parent, Sprint -- NOT a good swap)