Most helpful positive review
32 of 34 people found the following review helpful
LG60PM9700(2012) vs Panasonic TC-P50ST30
on May 17, 2012
Ok, just brought this today, and decided to write a review, since I'm sure many people are waiting to hear what its like. Haven't done much with it, here are my first impressions:
- Looks beautiful out of the box. Nice slim bezel(abt 0.5"), looks very sleek. BUT,in addition to the bezel there's a black stripe running all around the edge of the screen(under the bezel), with is slightly less than 0.5". so effectively, the border is slightly more than 1", but looks nicer compared to say the thick panasonic ones (ST series)
- magic remote is cute, but too much work to do simple things (waving it around, trying to hit the correct icon etc. Reminds of the Wii!). I prefer a normal remote, and hope I can set this up with my Harmony one
- Quick test of 3D felt much nicer than on Panasonic, as the LG 3D glasses are much lighter, and more pleasant to wear. They don't look as cool as Panasonic though. I tried Avatar, and it looked awesome!
- Some people might dislike the 'M' shape stand, I like it.
- Can't comment about Black levels, I haven't done any break in yet. Screen color is dark grayish when TV is off. I guess I will first try the WOW calibration disc to see if it makes any changes.
- Matte screen is excellent. reflections are cut down significantly.
- TV audio is ok, not great, but not bad. Its definitely good enough for normal TV viewing.
I will give it 4 stars for now, and update as necessary while I get more familiar with it.
Some more impressions, changed the review title, as well as answers to some of the comments:
Picture quality continues to impress. TruBlack filter was looking very good, until I put it next to my 2011 model Viera ST30...simply put, the Panasonic is just better. If PQ and black levels were the primary concerns, I would go with Panny. I hooked up my satellite box to both TVs using a splitter, and my kids felt the panny's picture was better, out of the box. After spending some time tweaking the settings, I got the LG to come quite close in terms of colors, at which point their opinion changed. One thing I noted was there is a greenish tinge to the LG picture. This most noticeable when old-style black and while images are being shown on screen. Not sure if that's a defect, or needs more tuning. Any suggestions?
TruMotion is very smooth, picture is vey sharp. I watched a basketball game, and it was very nice. the LG picture is noticably brighter than Panny, which is great for sport. However, the LG is showing severe 'soap opera effect'. Will this go away after the TV breaks in?
- Magic remote is sluggish, it takes multiple key presses to change channels quickly. Also, after turning on, the TV needs about 30 secs or so to 'load' the applications palette, which contains the icons for Settings and selecting video input. In the past few days, the TV has failed to 'initialize' twice, causing it to reboot. OTOH, I realized the remote does not need to be pointed directly at the screen to be used, the 4-way navigation buttons can be used as well to move between menu choices.
Saw the the newer reviews here mentioned judder with satellite TV programming. I don't have cable or satellite, but I did hook it up to my Mohu leaf DTV antenna, and the picture/motion is very sharp and smooth.