Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LG LG 55LS4500 55IN 1080P 120HZ LED TV (REFURBISHED)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 28, 2012
If you want a 55" HDTV that gives you an amazing picture WITHOUT charging you with any bells and whistles then this is the perfect HDTV. Though this TV does not have wifi to watch Netflix, Hulu, etc. All you have to do is connect your Blu-ray player with wifi, apple tv or roku that you already have then, Viola! Grab your self a bag of chips and enjoy! - (I connected my PS3)

Pro:
- Looks amazing and easy to setup.
- Menu and settings button are easy to navigate.
- Pictures clarity and color accuracy is great.

Con:
- USB does not play movie on flash drive. Only pictures and music.
- 2 HDMI is not enough for a TV that doesn't have internet.
- Black levels are just ok. A bit cloudy in really dark scenes.

One thing that I notice was that the tv goes dim when I turn off all the lights and it goes bright when the lights are on but that problem can be solved by pressing one button on the remote! (Energy saving button) :)
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
Love this thing, it's a no frills (no netflix, hulu, etc built in)
Just a plain simple TV that works and looks amazing!!
Watch out for the energy saving feature. took me an hour or so to realize why the picture was so dark.
Go turn off the energy saver and the screen will not go dark when the lights are turned off.
ALSO you need to disable it for each input! It remember them separately.

Great unit, no complaints really other then the eco-mode on by default.
And contrast ratio is simply amazing!!
22 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2013
(revised review and rating August 4, 2013) - I bumped my rating UP one star (from 2, to 3 stars) because after 6 months, the TV is really a great value, and I've had no problems with the TV. But I'm still frustrated with the misleading "120Hz" verbiage detailed in my first review below.

(original review - February 28, 2013) - This review is tricky... I paid a great price for this TV, and by most standards, this TV is a great value. The picture is very good, it's stylish with a thin bezel, set-up was a breeze, and I really liked the "picture calibration wizard" tool.

Yet, I'm VERY upset with this purchase because LG, as well as most retailers who sell the 55LS4500, list this HDTV as "TruMotion 120Hz" - in fact "TruMotion 120Hz" is featured on the TV box packaging! I got the TV set up, went through all of the set up options, and nowhere is there an option to toggle on or off the TruMotion feature. I then went to the LG support website, noticed that there was a firmware update available for this model. I successfully updated the TV and still nothing about the 120Hz feature. I tried many TV channels and Blu-Ray, re-checked the TV options menu, and nothing. I've seen 120Hz before, its the very apparent "soap opera effect" that greatly enhances watching sports or console game playing, and on the other hand, can make movies seem "too real" or "live" - and akward looking.

I called LG support, and they insisted that the 120Hz feature is "always on". The LG service rep also added the following:

"Thank you for contacting LG Electronics USA. I am delighted to hear from you as our valued customer and I will be glad to answer your concern. Normal video broadcasts are received at 60 Hz. Blu-ray players' signals at 60/30/24 Hz. Our products generally receive the signal at 60 Hz or 24 Hz depending on the output of signal. TruMotion increases the refresh rate to 120 Hz, 240 Hz or 480 Hz depending on the model, thus smoothing the picture and creating a more realistic movement on screen. You may check the TruMotion settings under the Picture Option menu. The TV will only display the refresh rate of the signal it is receiving. Therefore, it will always display 24/30/60 Hz because, that is the only type of signal being output by a broadcast or DVD/Blu-ray. The TV will never shown 120 Hz as the refresh rate. On the other hand, this does not mean that the TruMotion is not active or working. The TV is processing the signal either through the main board using MEMC (Motion Estimation & Motion Compensation) or by using Backlight Scanning. I hope I was able to help you with your concern."

Well, first, LG needs to train thier reps better. This model DOES NOT have "TruMotion settings under the Picture Option menu" ... but, to be sure I wasnt going crazy, I finally set up the 55LS4500 TV RIGHT NEXT to my LG 55LM6200 that I KNOW has 120Hz. I set the two tv's up using one Blu-Ray player with a split HDMI signal. The LG 55LM6200 is fine!! with VERY OBVIOUS 120Hz refresh!!

So, "No", LG service rep, you didnt "help me with my concern"

Lastly, on the last page of the user manual that came with the TV (where Tech specs are listed) it says in plain black and white the MAXIMUM SUPPORTED Horiz/Vert Hz is "67.50Hz"!!! LG and retailers need to advertise this TV as 60Hz refresh.

I'd like to add, that if you dont care about any "smooth motion" feature, then this is a great value. I did care, for the purposes of this TV however, and thats why I'm so dissapointed. I dont like the misleading product feature description, nor did I appreciate the response from LG. LG can tell me all day long that the 120Hz TruMotion is "always on" - fine, its always on, you just wont see it. Just like I am leaving this "5-star review" ... keep looking, trust me, the 5-stars are there.
1010 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2013
Here are the facts...

1) This TV has a GREAT picture, that's comparable to ANY television, regardless of price. (And I have been looking at and studying all the top end models for the past two years now, before purchasing this TV this morning.) The blacks are excellent and the detail is as good as I have seen.

2) The sound is VERY GOOD for a flat panel TV. It's rich, full and very musical when listening to audio channels. In fact, it's so good, that I am now considering whether I really want to purchase the $3,000.00 high end surround sound system that I had been planning on matching up with this TV. It's not that surround sound would not be a huge improvement, I know it would. It's just that I don't know how much I would actually use it when the sound of the TV itself is really very, very nice and quite satisfying.

3) The stand is VERY ADEQUATE and NOT flimsy like other reviewers have mentioned. It looks good and is plenty stable enough for you to feel confident that it's not going anywhere.

4) You are a fool to pay several hundred dollars for a "Smart TV", when a very good Blue Ray player can be purchased for less than $80.00 and will turn any TV into an excellent "Smart TV".

5) Personally, I am quite confident that 3D is a marketing gimmick that will fade away in a few years. Nobody wants to put on glasses to watch TV. Not only that, but many people say that 3D televisions actually look poorer that 2D televisions do when viewed in the normal 2D mode. (Which most all TV's are in most all of the time they are being watched.) And this weaker picture quality is especially evident when not viewing a 3D television straight on.

6) I definitely do agree that the energy saving switch needs to be turned off for good night time viewing, otherwise the picture becomes way too dark.

7) I bought mine at Sam's Club and paid $750.00, but when I added tax to that, it came out to be about the same price (or maybe even a little more) as Amazon. (But then again, I got it right away.)
on January 22, 2016
I bought this TV off of Craigslist for $525 when it was selling for $899 (not hot) in stores and here on Amazon. It has a fantastic picture and decent sound. I hooked it up to my Pioneer surround sound system and have truly enjoyed this TV.
Unfortunately, I had to learn how to be a TV repairman due to the fact that the power supply board went out not once, but twice.
But, to be honest, this was due to me using a tripped surge suppressor, so I can't blame the manufacturer.
Overall, I am very pleased with the TV, but I just wish that they had a simple replaceable fuse, but I'm sure that they skipped such a simple step so people would just buy another TV.
I'm just glad that I didn't dish out 900 bucks and that YouTube had a tutorial on how to replace the board.
on June 25, 2013
This is not the latest and greatest TV and that is why the price is so nice. It doesn't have wi-fi or any "smart" stuff. I don't need that because I have that in my $140 blu-ray player.

The TV has a digital tuner but I use this mostly to watch blu-ray and NetFlix (through my blu-ray player). I also have an X-box hooked up to it. I don't have cable or satellite. The TV has 3 video inputs; two HDMI and one Component. This will be a consideration for some people.

The manual doesn't tell you much. For example, it doesn't tell you how to add channels to your "favorite" list. I just now noticed that it turns itself on when I turn on the blu-ray. The manual didn't warn me about that. I kept turning on the blu-ray and then turning on the TV but I was actually turning the TV off right after it had been turned on by the blu-ray. I don't know if the TV turns on when a video signal appears or if the IR signal to turn on the blu-ray is turning on the TV. I am still learning. It would be nice if the manual would tell me. The manual only tells you how to screw on the base or how to fasten the TV to the wall.

Even without a manual you should be able to figure out most everything. It is all straight-forward, simple, and just works (at least that has been my experience).

I use the speakers on the TV when using X-box but I have a surround sound system for blu-ray. It would be nice if the TV would remember my volume settings for each input selected but it doesn't. I have to remember to turn down the volume (to zero) or use mute when using blu-ray. I turn down the volume (instead of using mute) because mute doesn't persist after shutting down. This is only a minor annoyance.

This item gets 5 stars because I get a brilliant picture at half the price of a later model TV.
on December 18, 2015
I bought this tv about 2 years ago and the screen the picture has already went out. I contacted LG and they basically said it was out of warranty and they was nothing they could do. So I take it to a tv repair shop and they tell me that the screen has went bad. The repairman also said that LG use to be a great product, but he has seen a lot of problems with them over the past 2 years. So all I can do is say F-you to LG and tell the rest of you DON'T BUY ANY LG PRODUCTS, unless you want to replace them in 2 years. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON LG, GO AND BUY A SAMSUNG, THAT'S WHAT I'M FIXING TO DO. Then I'm gonna take my old LG and use it for some target practice and post videos of it on social media. SO IN CLOSING ALL LG MAKES NOW IS JUNK, IF YOU WANT A RECOMMENDATION THEN I RECOMMEND THAT YOU GO AND BUY A SAMSUNG!!!!
P.S. SUCK IT LG, I HOPE YOU ALL ROT IN H**L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on April 16, 2014
I have no need for any smart features. Everything that I stream on my TV I do through my Xbox. That being said, I needed a TV with good characteristics for gaming. According to this site, [...] , this TV has better lag times than some models costing twice as much. This is the most TV you can buy for this price. Again, if you don't need any smart features, you will not find a better TV.
on December 13, 2012
Was a little skeptical based on the reviews, but for the price, this TV is great. Speakers are what you'd expect from any flat screen but the picture is amazing. Great size, too.
on March 29, 2013
no problems so far. obviously tvs today are not being built with sound quality in mind so if you get this tv thinking it is all you will need then you will be disappointed. all you need as a good soundbar with it and you have an awesome setup that looks great.