on July 5, 2011
I purchased this LG-55LV3700 TV in the hopes that I would be more than happy with the changeover from a Sony TV,and other than it only having a 60HZ in it, I have to say I wound up happy.
Most reviewers had said they didn't notice the 60HZ compared to a 120 HZ or higher, but I did.....I thought. It was noticeable when watching sports, but as soon as I changed some settings...it greatly improved.
Silly me.

Other than this problem...this television rocks !!
The picture is phenomenal. Clear as a bell. And the sound is more like a stereo sound than I've had on any other TV, including having it hooked up to a surround sound system. Now, with this LG on my surround system, I can barely play it on a #10, or it's too loud.

I haven't noticed any blasting commercials, but I had to change the "Intelligent Sensor" settings because as soon as it got dark out & in the house, the picture got way too dark for me to enjoy. It came to me set on "energy saver", but I keep it set on "low" now & it's fine.

Finding all the "smart" features is easy too. No problems with this either, but I did not receive that special remote as I had thought I'd get, while seeing it on the "specs" part of the advertisement for this TV. Only got the regular remote.

I still need to find the calculation wizard thingy on this TV. I just can't seem to find it yet. But after adjusting the Intelligent Sensor, it really doesn't seem to need much more adjusting. I would like to test it out however.
Soon as I find it, I'll let you know. It may be on the disk that came with the TV, but of course, just like a man...my friend has not even tried to play them yet. I guess I'll have to do it myself when he isn't around...ha ha. You know guys...you have to be less stubborn about these things. I can't believe he is complaining when he doesn't even try to play the disk !! (sorry )
Oh well...always a shortcut to everything. No surprise.

Other than this...this TV is awesome. I didn't notice much difference in the smaller size of the screen, going down to a 55" from a 60". And if you think the frame looks bad on this TV,just because it doesn't have a Lucite edge like a lot of other new sets do....think again. You don't even notice any frame on it. It's black for goodness sake. Who sees this ? And the set itself is so thin, it nearly disappears when you walk by it. If I had it mounted on my wall...it would disappear !!

I love the fact that it comes with a swivel stand. We all don't have our seating straight in front of the TV, & this helps.

I've compared this picture with other brands, and although I was a bit hung up on getting a Samsung...for the price, this TV is better. Samsung is getting as expensive as Sony now, and I just don't think they're worth it anymore either. I struggled to afford a Sony the last time I got a TV, & I had too many problems with it. I was very glad I had a service contract on it !! At least when they finally couldn't fix the same problem it had for over 3 years, they gave up & sent me a replacement check so I could buy this LG.

The first movie I watched on it, made me feel like I was in a theater & I was shocked at how great it was. Both picture & sound were very impressive !! Yes...I use a surround sound system, but it never worked this well before.

If your thinking of buying this LG-55LV3700, do not hesitate. You will be very happy with it.
Great picture, great sound, great price !! Plus...you can go Wi-Fi, cause they include the dongle with it. Yippeee !!! No more wires !!
But tell me this please.....What the heck is a "dongle" ????
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 30, 2011
The purchase thru Amazon and its supplier went great with no problems..The Lg smart tv works good with a great picture, they lead you to belive it somes with a smart wand control and it does not plus it is not availble yet. They show Apps on the tv that aren't available yet ( Hulu-Plus). a lot of the software to use a smart tv isnt working or ready yet. I feel they shouldnt advertise a product or sell if its not readey to use, I guess will have to wait. I gave it good rating based on Amazon's service, this purchase thru a local vendor would been about 3 hunderd dollars more, taxes, shipping, and extended warranty more...
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2011
The picture quality of this tv is excellent when viewing bright or colorful scenes. However, when watching tv at night and watching a dark scene you can see the back led light in the corners effect the picture quality. For example, if your watching a night scene on the TV the corners that have bleeding will display black in a grey color and appear as if someone is shinning a light in that area. I went through 3 tv's and they all had this problem but some were much wore than others i.e. bleeding in all corners). I also notice that all the tv's exhibit a slight discoloration in the top center of the screen, it can be clearly seen when viewing a white background. It appears as a very faint black cloud/spot. I noticed it when watching movies with bright blue skies, the top center the sky looked a bit "cloudy" or dirty. When I switched to a solid white screen e.g. Google Maps) you can clearly see that affected area is slightly black. Once again I noticed this on ALL THREE 55LV3700's I returned.

Playing video games is ok, call of duty is extremely blurry because of running and quick motions. Madden is good. I noticed a bit of input lag. Clearly, CRT or plasma is the way to go for gaming without lag or blurring.

Sound quality is decent. But don't expect booming theater quality sound when watching movies. I highly recommend buying a Home Theater System.

Side angle viewing on this TV is great. It has an IPS panel, so its very similar to a plasma with respect to watching tv at an angle. No color washout, brightness changes, etc. even sitting at 180 degrees.

That all being said, unlike the Panasonic plasma this TV has accurate colors especially flesh tones)- i.e. no green push . I prefer the cinema mode on this TV which makes everything look smooth and real. The colors are very similar to what you would find in a Samsung - but with huge improvement in viewing angle because of the IPS panel. This TV does not have brightness pops that currently are effecting all Samsung and Panasonic plasma tvs. Moreover, this is no peeling of the screen or other manufacturer defects (buzzing) as witnessed in the Samsung plasma tvs.

This would be a perfect TV if LG would fix the backlight bleeding and slight black spot in the upper center of the TV.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2011
This is a new model of television so when I bought it there were no reviews.

This TV has been one of the better electronics purchases I have ever made. Picture is excellent, easy to use setup, multiple inputs (and it seems to detect the most recently powered on input so when you turn on the tv it will automatically go to the DVD/Game/whatever you just turned on)
I never thought I would use the SmartTV features, but I spend more itme in there than anywhere. The ability to stream netflix, amazon, youtube, internet radio, etc directly to the TV is such an amazing feature and gets used daily.
My only complaint is the volume is a little low, but I intend to fix that with add-on components.
on October 25, 2011
This is my first flat screen - I've had a CRT-type TV for the last 10 years. We purchased this for our small living room and chose it partially for the smart technology & Internet Ready capability. So, far it has been great! The picutre is beautiful and clear, no bleeding on the sides of the screen. We never saw the screen in the store, so it was a blind purchase. The sound is OK, but doesn't blow me away. It's kinda to be expected on a 1.5" deep TV though.

Set-up was a breeze, I did it by myself!

There IS a remote with this model. It is not the special Magic Motion remote, but I don't care about that. The remote buttons do not light up & having read so many reviews when researching TVs, that was a sore point for some.

We don't have cable right now because we share WiFi with our neighbors, which is one reason we wanted a TV that is Internet Ready. It is a little annoying because the TV is always searching for a cable when you turn it on, but I just hit the "Home" button and it goes away.

There are lots of apps available, but of course I mainly use Netflix! I decided to give HuluPlus a try, but I'm not sure it's worth it yet. A lot of content isn't available to TVs or non-computer devices, which is strange IMHO.

TV so far has been worth every penny and we are very happy with it!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 27, 2011
The TV is a great buy for the price. Vivid crisp picture quality, lots of features (this tv is more like a computer - there is a built in web browser and you get access to the LG app store which is very similar to the apple app store), easy setup (you really don't need the owners manual to figure it out - 8 screws exactly the same size that go into the only 8 holes available to set up the stand, on screen menus are pretty self explanatory). The only downside to this tv is the sound quality is poor, but if you have a home theater system it negates the poor sound quality. I would recommend that you go into the settings and use the picture wizard if you watch your tv in a dark room, otherwise if you watch tv in a well-lit room the auto mode is just fine.

Also, this particular model (LV3700) does not come with the magic motion remote but does come with a standard remote which works just fine. If you have an iPod/iPhone/iPad there is an app you can download that will turn your device into a remote for this tv so the magic motion remote is not needed (the app turns your apple device into a touch pad to move the cursor on the screen and when there is a field for text entry if you click in that field the keyboard on your device does pop up, the app also has the basic buttons to control volume, channel, home menu access, etc). I am not sure if there are apps for other phones/devices out there, but if they are DLNA Certified they can pair up to the tv.

Can't wait to play Skyrim on this tv!
on November 17, 2011
It's a great TV when it comes to the basics:
- Picture quality
- DLNA
- WiFi to see Netflix,...
- USB

I'm yet to calibrate the picture, so currently I find the picture "good", though I hoped for much better. Mind you it's much better than my old Sony Bravia (2 year old), but I just expected more due to LED tag on the pack.

Has a very good list of sites to subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Napster, NFL,... I am very happy with the HD & SD streaming (from my NETGEAR N750 450 Mbps Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router WNDR4000 via TWC RoadRunner 10 Mbps cable line).

I also streamed contents from my USB connected to my router wirelessly, via DLNA. Works like a charm. Though I never could get the DLNA Media Server thing (that comes with TV on a CD) to work (it's supposed to stream the media contents from your laptop to TV via DLNA), but I don't need it (see USB parts below). I'm sure if I had tried harder or used some other app for it, it would've worked.

Direct USB also works well, supports most of my videos/audios except the .flv files. Even after I transcoded flv files to .avi or .mp4 (with same codecs as some files that were playing) using MediaCoder, these files did not play. Would've liked to have some kinda play-list support to play my mp3s, right now it would play all files in a folder, but then stop.

WebBrowser is a joke, when you have to type in the URL using the remote, it's simply ridiculous. But then I bought it without expectations on that front, I mean seriously who browses facebook, google and wikipedia on TV!? I had though long and hard abt it, I was considering Sony NSX-40GT1 40-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED HDTV Featuring Google TV, Black as an option. But then I chose support for Netflix and Hulu in this over keyboard in Google TV. I can as well buy a 10$ cable and 20$ wireless mouse/keyboard combo, connect my laptop to the TV and get much better browsing experience, who needs Google TV.

Haven't really browsed the LG AppStore, do ppl really use that stuff on TV?

All in all, money well spent. I would surely recommend this TV.
on October 9, 2011
For DVD movies, the picture is awesome. Clear and brilliant. But if you're watching a TV show in film on standard broadcast transmission, the picture reminds you of a soap opera broadcast. I've never like that look and on many TV shows, it has a soap opera feeling to them. You pretty much have to get used to it and it's the biggest flaw (at least for me personally) for LED televisions. I love the film look.

But if I'm watching TV shows, streaming from Netflix for example, it's completely different. The brilliance of the picture/color and the overall look warrants a "WOW" factor. In summary, it was an excellent buy for the price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2014
Bought this TV late in 2011 for $800. Worked great until just recently. Now, the refresh rate is almost nil, and it's well out of its 1-year warranty. Word is it has a faulty LCD panel, and it's likely not going to be worth it to fix. Oh well. It was great while it lasted. Guess I'll stick with Samsung from now on.
on May 2, 2013
The sound aint the best pictures okay to much glare when the light hits it spps aren't that good & constanty discconects from the interment

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations