4.0 out of 5 stars BD650
Published on April 16, 2011 by Erie33

3.0 out of 5 stars Bricked in less than 3 months.
Unfortunately, I bought two of these.

The good news:
1) Of the two I bought, one is still working.
2) One is on it's way to LG for repair under warranty (and within 90 days so they will not charge me $70 for labor).

The bad news:
Published on August 28, 2011 by Casper

4.0 out of 5 stars BD650, April 16, 2011
This review is from: LG BD650 3D Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I've had this unit for about a month now. I agree with the other reviewers that state that they released this product too soon, without the proper software in place and tested. For instance, up until a few days ago, I constantly had problems with it loosing it's connection to the internet, even when it was connected via ethernet cord. However, since an automatic firmware update a couple of days ago, the player has worked flawlessly via the WiFi connection. (Please note: with the 650, you DO need the separate WiFi dongle, which plugs into the back of the machine). The last firmware update also added several new apps, such as Amazon VOD. It appears that new apps will be added in the coming months, including a web-browsing app, which I read about previously online (search for info. from the launch of LG's entire SmartTV product line to find this information).
The Netflix application is easy to use and fast. It also allows you to update your instant queue.
The Blu Ray function is fast-loading and I haven't had any problems. Good upscaling of DVD's as well.
Overall, I give the unit a 4/5 stars based on it's current performance and previous software glitches.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bricked in less than 3 months., August 28, 2011
Casper (Duluth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, I bought two of these.

The good news:
1) Of the two I bought, one is still working.

The bad news:
1) I bought these to play movies from my media server and Netflix. While this feature DOES work, the sound doesn't synch with the video while playing mp4's. When played on any other player device, the mp4 file sound synchs perfectly.
2) For some blue-ray disks, it takes about 3 minutes from the time I insert a factory blue-ray until it shows the menu.
3) These are downloading updates weekly. The updates fail more often than they succeed.
4) Tonight, while I was watching a movie from my server, I paused the movie, fed the dogs, and came back to a bricked BD650. Hard reset doesn't work. LG is nice enough to offer to fix it after 20 minutes on the phone.

Wow, what a dismal failure from LG.

The "customer service rep" told me that it was likely bricked because of the mp4 file I was playing. OMG.

I will be searching for a different player for my media library. These will be up for sale soon.

It's a shame I waited longer than 30 days to decide to get rid of them.

I am editing this to provide three more details:

To elaborate on the sound sync issue: when played with VLC, Windows Media Player, XBMC on Apple TV, iPad, the sound synchs perfectly. When played on the BD650, the sound out of sync on all mp4's.

I'm preparing to ship this back to LG. Unfortunately, there's a (not cheap) blue-ray disk in the player and I CAN'T GET THE DISK OUT. There's no "emergency eject" hole into which you can insert a paper clip. So I have to send this in with an expensive movie and cross my fingers that they will return it.

The warranty is effectively 90 days. After 90 days, there is a $79 "inspection" charge for warranty service and you pay shipping to LG AND return shipping. It's anyone's guess how much more the repair labor will cost after the $79 inspection charge and $30-40 shipping both ways. Since the unit cost about $100 brand new delivered, consider it disposable after 90 days. I'm undecided if this is praise for the purchase price or a complaint about the repair price.

----- Update.
The bricked player has been replaced. It works fine and the DID return the disk that was stuck in the device. However, I still can't recommend these devices because occasionally, they refuse to interact on the network. Just last week the both stopped interacting with the network, so I ordered a 2nd Roku to stream content. As soon as the Roku arrived, they both started working again. I didn't change anything!

----- Update 2013-03-01
One of the players now has a disk clamping problem. You can hear the disk slipping when it spins up and it ejects the disk while the disk is still spinning at a high rate of speed. Yes, I said I would be replacing them, but haven't done so yet. The Rokus are effectively replacing them. Rarely do I need to play a physical disk.

----- Update 2013-07-19
I opened the one with the disk clamping issue to see what the problem was. It turned out to be a fairly simple repair for a mechanically-minded individual. When a disk is inserted, the tray and motor rise up to meet a loosely-held spindle above the disk. This upper spindle contains a strong magnet. As the tray rises, the motorized spindle meets the magnet, clamping the disk. The failure: the magnet became unglued from the upper spindle and stuck to the motorized spindle. After cleaning out the soft weak adhesive, I epoxied the magnet in place on the upper spindle, then re-assembled the unit. It's functional again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate software quality control, April 9, 2011
S. Sharma (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this player mostly for its DLNA and Smart TV (Pandora, You Tube, etc.)
I have had this player for barely 3 days and there were already 2 automatic software updates. The first software update failed 3/4 times and then it succeeded after some stars aligned. I could enjoy pandora and you tube and a movie in the last 3 days. This morning there was an update forced on the player. I don't clearly remember how that happened but the update was forced on it. After that whatever smart (??) operation is performed (opening pandora or you tube) the player informs me that the software needs to be updated.... but when it tries to update the software it pops up another dialog box stating that the software is already the latest one. Essentially the player is unusable.

A little browsing of online forums revealed that this sw update was forced on all 6xx players and most of them have this problem. It clearly reveals that there was inadequate quality testing performed on this player and it is nowhere near being market ready.

I called up LG customer support. The support rep asked me to downgrade the player to previous version, but that trick did not work. It again got stuck in that forced upgraded and dead state.

[I will wait for a couple of days to see if this thing gets fixed quickly. If it does not, it is still in return period, the player goes back to amazon for being defective item.

If I keep this player, I will update this review with my experience.]

OK -- I decided to keep this player now. LG pushed out a new update within 2 days of the problem. The problem is fixed (for now). I will stick with 2 stars and the comment about inadequate software testing. I will update the rating based on my experience over next few weeks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable: Died after playing only about 3 or 4 DVDs, April 15, 2012
Olubunmi Oladunjoye (Round Rock, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This DVD died within 6months of purchase after playing just 3 or 4 DVDs. Any time I put a DVD or a Blue Ray Disc in the player, it will just make a loud grouting noise and display an "ERROR" message. I usually stream my movies online from Amazon or Netflix, so I didn't play the disc very often. You would expect the player to be ready when you need it, but this player is extremely unreliable.

This is a common problem with the LG players. When I called the LG customer service to explain the situation, they seem to be very aware of this situation and confirm this as a common problem with the player. In fact, once I gave the agent the model number and said the DVD is broken, she went on to say "the player is on, but making a grouting noise, right?" Then I went on to confirm that this is a common problem with this model. LG customer service said since the purchase is over 90 days, I would have to pay $69 service fee and they will change the parts for free. Imagine! In summary, this is the worst DVD player I have ever bought!

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient Blu-Ray for the money, July 25, 2011
G. Rogers "railgeek" (DeepInTheHeartOf, Texas) - See all my reviews
I have had good luck with this Blu-Ray player. This is not the most expensive unit on the market, but it met my requirements for doing a good job playing Blu-Ray disks, as well as having network applications that will enhance your viewing and listening experiences.
It does a wonderful job playing the movies, with the sound handling being just as good as the visuals. I have had this for about a month, and I have used it on 6-7 Blu-Ray movies, as well as some standard DVDs. It does a good job of enhancement of DVDs, and the Blu-Ray is all that I could ask for.
One of the bigger reasons that I got this player was for the network capability. I do have a wired connection at my Television location. I have had no experience with the Wi-Fi portion. (It might not have Wi-Fi, please check the posted specifications.) I have a very adequate Internet connection and that all helps for the network applications. I can see if using Wi-Fi which has less access to the full bandwidth of your Internet connection that it could slow things down.
I do love the compliment of applications provided. One of my requirements was that it had MLB.COM available, and it does. Some other applications included are Netflix, Cinema Now, Vudu, Accuweather, You-Tube, Pandora, and a lot of new entries into this field.
This is my second LG player and the last one was last year's model. One of the additions for this year is something that I have tried and it works well too. That is the Amazon service for movies. If you are a Amazon prime member, you can watch some of the movies free. You can also make purchases from Amazon from this unit.
Some of the applications will require that you set up an account on a computer prior to using the service. Most of us have a way to do that, so the main thing when setting up is that you have to enter in the user name and password for each respective service to get it to log into your account. Once that is done, the player remembers it for later. This is a one time setup.
Netflix works quite well on it, and they are adding new services all of the time. I do enjoy the Internet Radio application as well. It plays stations of all genres and from all over the world. The quality of the music is more than adequate played through my sound system connected to the television. It will also tell you how the station is streaming, for example in MP3 @ 128 or WMA @ 96 (bps). All of the streams that I have listened to are more than adequate to have great sound quality through my component system.
All of this is simple to hook up if you have HDMI connections. Basically, there are three connections for this, power, ethernet network and HDMI. And then you are ready. However, when I first got my system, I allowed myself the time to go into setup and tailor the system to work well with the equipment that I have. My amplifier for example had recommendations on how to set up external devices that connect to it for the best performance. Another thing that I allowed myself to do was to update the software on it, just as soon as I hooked it up.
Most of these units sit in the box long enough that there will be a software update for it by the time that you get it. I recommend that you consider downloading that just as soon as you hook it up. It will remove many of the bugs in the original software that are likely there. I do know that many manufacturers release products quickly and will find bugs in the system. But since I downloaded the new software, I have not experienced any. This might not have been the case with some of the earlier reviewers.
This weekend, there was a software update pushed to the system, which I found a bit aggravating at the time. I didn't want to stop and be forced to download an update as I had done in the past. But it seems that the ones that they push are very quick and not for the same purpose. After the short download was complete, there were several more applications that appeared in that area, including HULU and a new music service.
The main software updates for the drivers and the core software will have to be requested, which is easily done. You just hit a button to check and see if there are any updates available, and it will let you know if there are and offer to download them. If you choose not to, you can do the same thing later when you have a few minutes (it doesn't take that long, but it does take a reboot of the system) to spend doing this.
My friends have been impressed with the video for MLB and some other functions. I have no issue with Hi-Def video over the network. However, I believe that it is a benefit to have a wired network on these if it is available. If not, there should still be enough bandwidth on Wi-Fi to do the trick. However, I can not verify that.
Overall, a pleasing purchase for the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Life is Good, but its not because of LG. Cheap, cheap, cheap..., November 21, 2011
The LG BD 650 BluRay player I purchased in July 2011 will no longer play a disc, it will vibrate the heck out it though. So today is November 21st, the player lasted 4 months of very light use. I would say we have used the player maybe 15 times to watch a DVD or BluRay movie. I called LG service to see what I might do. For $69.99, they will take a look at it. I pay shipping. By the time the unit is shipped and I pay the $70 I will be approaching the cost of the unit. Since I had nothing to lose, I opened it up, very simple, very easy. Anyone need parts for a LG 650 let me know, I won't be fixing this one. I won't be buying another LG. The drive is comprised of a plastic housing the thickness of two plastic soda lids. It not only looks cheap, it is cheap. I suspect it cost about 37 cents to make.

Think about it. LG has a 90 labor warranty on this BD player. If this product were built with some integrity, a 365 day parts/labor warranty is the least they should offer. How I wish I could just have them send me a new BD drive so I could replace the tissue paper quality one inside with another tissue paper quality one and get another 4 months out of it. Send me two LG.

I did give it two stars because for the 4 months that it worked, the quality of the picture was fine, the remote was fine, the speed it did things was acceptable. Wait until those who gave it 5 stars have their tissue paper drive go bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor LG and Retailer Service - Unit has promise, April 20, 2011
David M. Iannotti (Quahog, Rogues Island(RI)) - See all my reviews
So it's hard to write a review about a product that fails 32 days after receiving it. It's even harder when Electronics Expo, the retailer refuses to exchange it, harder still when LG forces you to send it in for repair. But i will try and do 2 reviews. The product, and the service I received when the product failed.

The player, decided to upgrade from a BD 390 that served me well. primary reason to upgrade MLB TV support. The 390 of course could have been upgraded via software updates had LG chosen to reward its early adopters but no they have to keep the technology upgrade cycle and accompanying waste in place. Sometimes it is enough to make me want to renounce all technology. Sorry, I digress. The BD650 is very small in comparison to the 390, almost half the total mass. Feels much cheaper than the 390, which was a higher priced model that also featured 7.1 analog outs. The 650 loads BR discs fast, cant give you an exact time but definitely significant faster than the 390 did. Maybe twice as fast. Obviously improvements to the optical pickup have been made over the past couple years. Picture quality looked very good both DVD and BR. Apps: In the short time I had the unit sevral Apps were added via SW and FW updates. Amazon VOD has been added, Google maps, a new and much less user friendly version of YouTube ( leanback - YouTube really missed the mark with this) and a few other apps. All the Apps work as they should. The LG apps store feature has no worthwhile content in my opinion at this time. MLB TV app picture quality very good to excellent with some occasional buffering and hiccups. Network capability, this unit can very easily stream video, audio, etc from a windows 7 machine on your network via Windows Media Player transport with no additional SW needed on your PC. Pretty slick.

So what went wrong? Well inexplicably after that last FW upgrade my machine would just power down when I select a video file to play either locally via USB or across the network. Files it did play before. MP3 files, and photos no problem but the moment a video file is selected for playback the unit just powers down.

Electronics expo who fulfilled my Amazon order refused to exchange it as did LGE support. So now my unit is heading to Alabama for repair.

***Update 9/2/11*** My BD650 experienced the difficulties described above due to an auto firmware upgrade installing improperly. Should you have one of these units and run into issues after a FW update, re-install the previous version and try updating again before sending the unit in for repair. I had suggested I do this when I initially contacted LG support and they said "no, we want to see if this is a bug so don't change anything". I had to send the unit to AL twice, the first time they sent it back untouched with "no problem found". The second time I included a note explaining how unhappy I was that they clearly did not test what I indicated was wrong with the unit. I taped a cheap thumb drive with some files to the note and wrote to please try to play the files on the drive. They did, the unit powered down as I had indicated, and apparently the fix was simply re-installing the firmware, something I could have easily done myself, lesson learned. Since I have had the unit back there have been several more FW/SW updates adding Amazon.com video (Includes free Amazon Prime member videos ),HULU Plus, NBA app, NHL app,and a few others. I should add almost all file formats of video I have thrown at it play ( MKV, MP4, etc).
I am updating the review to 4 stars especially considering this unit is now right around $110.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG BD650 Player - Where's the additional Premium apps?, April 14, 2011
This is not an in-depth review by any means, just some general observations from owning this unit for the past month.

Know what you are buying when shopping for an LG BD6xx player. Some online sites/forums list features for the BD6xx series that simply aren't true.

Also, I feel LG has done a poor job (or an excellent one if they intended to mislead the customers) in laying out the features and specs for each of these players online. Their site had no dedicated page to the players of the 6xx series, even as units became available for sale from various sellers.

In any case, I'm pleased with the BD650. I chose it because it sits right next to my network connection, so I have no need for the wireless model (BD670). Also, I have several external hard drives that hold media, so I opted not to get the BD690 which has internal storage. Note however that your external drives need to be FAT32 formatted in order to be recognized by the BD650.

Your needs may be different so purchase accordingly. Also, I'm inclined to believe that LG does not make all the Premium apps available for all BD6xx players.

I was looking forward to Amazon VOD and Hulu Plus, but none of those are available. Perhaps there is a future software update that will enable them, I'm not sure.

Netflix streaming is great, picture is crystal clear on my LG HDTV. (Connected at aprox. 20Mbps Roadrunner service.)

Blu-Ray disc playback is fine and DVD upscaling gives better results than my old Sony DVD player.

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase. Still, one star off for slightly misleading marketing info from LG.

LG BD650 3D Network Blu-ray Disc Player with Smart TV

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart TV not what I expected., July 11, 2011
First off, this does what it's primary purpose is just fine...play Blu Ray and DVD movies. However; I purchased this particular player for the Smart TV. The Smart TV menus look nothing like they do on the LG website. In order to get to MLB or Netflix I have to wade through a bunch of other 'Premium' apps that I have no use for. I did check out the other 'premuim' apps and most of them are a waste of time, although the one with the nude travel channel was kinda interesting. Also, no Hulu Plus, even though the LG website shows Hulu as an app. I called LG and they promise they are working on the Hulu app but wouldn't give an estimate of when. When I asked why did they advertise Hulu before it was available the lady just said that was how their advertising works. If they change the structure of the menus to be like the website and add Hulu plus this could be a 5 star player. You can't beat the price for a Blu Ray player but its not even close to competing with a Roku when it comes to online entertainment.

2.0 out of 5 stars No DivX Support, November 11, 2011
Pros: Plays most everything very well. Haven't had many issues with it.

Will recognize nearly all network resources including shared network drives. This is a major plus as the player does not need an UPnP/DLNA server to play content. It will play content directly from shared network drive.

Cons: Despite what the specifications state on NewEgg, LG's website, and other retailer websites; this DOES NOT play DivX. I'm a power user and I have tried various DivX codecs to no avail.

Other Thoughts: I've been working with LG tech support for nearly a month now to see if this can be resolved in a firmware update. The request has been submitted for a couple weeks, but currently remains "in review".

UPDATE: it's now been 5 months since I first spoke to LG regarding the DivX support issue. I have been in continuous communication with them and have every time been passed off and de-railed by LG customer service. They would make it sound like they were working hard on solving the issue when in fact they weren't. On my last and final call to them on 11/07/11 I was told that they will not be updating the firmware anymore for this player and that it will not support DivX indefinitely. I told them that I purchased the player based on the spec sheet that stated DivX support (since removed from their website) and customer service told me that they have the right to change the spec sheet at anytime without notice. I asked to speak to a customer service manager and was told that the manager was on another call and would have to call me back. The manager has yet to call me back. Ultimately I was lied to and strung along by customer service. I will never buy an LG product again.