on June 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this to replace a WDTV Live HD, as I had problems using the WD with my streaming server. This player does everything it advertises, and does them as well or better than the WDTV, plus adds in a bluray player.

While not the best thing out there, it is a solid player, that does what's needed for a media player.

Pros:
-- Plays video from any DLNA source.
-- Does most major online video streaming services.
-- Plays bluray/dvd, as well as local USB sources
-- Easy to navigate menus
-- Fairly regular firmware updates.

Cons:
-- Slow, java based menu system. Not terrible, but takes a bit going from main to online apps such as netflix.
-- Only wired ethernet - again not terrible, but for some who need wireless to connect, they'll have to look to a higher model.
-- Changes to menu system in early firmware updates. Seems to have stabilized at this point.
-- No digital optical audio output; only coax. Another minor inconvenience, for those of us not able to use HDMI for audio output.

Overall:
Again a solid player, that does what it needs to, at a cheaper pricetag than some standalone media players. I use this with TVersity Streaming server, and have not found any format that doesn't work properly. Some tweaking was required, but it works for me.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 13, 2012
I bought the LG BP220 along with 3 other blue-ray players - Sony s185, Toshiba BD2150. The LG BP220 stands way ahead of the others.

At $89 it is $10 more, but well worth it. To be honest, I didn't try the internet capabilities. That was not much of interest to me. Just playing DVD's, and USB hard drives.

On the USB section, this plays any hard drive I threw at it, and plays every format except ogg and flac.

The menu displays are dazzling. The unit uses a Mediatek MT8551 processor to obtain all the functions.

Its a fairly heavy unit. At lease compared to the Toshiba.

The only issue I would say is the rather small remote. The keys are kind of rubbery.

I especially like the counter display on the front of the basal. It shows time elapsed and "HELLO" when turned on. For some reason I want to know how much time was used, and on other units I have to use the remote menu info.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2012
Bought this at my local Walmart for $79. I cannot speak compared to many other blu-ray players, but this was a huge step up from my dvd player and at least on par if not bettr than any other blu-ray I have seen. I also own an LG tv, and the player and remote automatically sync'd to my tv. This is really convenient as I no longer have to change which input I have on to switch from tv mode to the blu-ray. I would definitely recommend especially for the price and the ease of the online content.
on September 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
We only use this player to watch DVD and Blu Ray movies. I use the HDMI out to the TV and digital coax to my old receiver for the 5.1 sound. It gets almost daily use. I've updated the software a couple times without trouble. The only problem is that it occasionally locks up and has to be unplugged to reset it. This has happened maybe five times in the three months we've had it. Other than that it was a great value.
on June 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
I'm not sure you can beat this unit for the price. Blu-ray playback appears to work really well. Netflix looks VERY nice. I have my TV connected to my PC through an HDMI cable, so before buying this unit, I'd just open up a browser window on the TV as if it was a 2nd monitor. But the difference between that method and using the dedicated Netflix app on this player was night and day. The picture quality is truly HD. I'm very pleased.

So why the deduction of a star? The menus on this player are cumbersome, clunky, slow, and non-intuitive. It seems to me that things could have been designed so much more simply. This is, after all, a simple blu-ray player vs. the rest of the LG lineup. Now that I've figured out how to navigate, I just have to contend with the slowness, aka red spinny loading wheel of death. That complaint aside, this product is well worth the money.

Update - 8/16/12 - As other reviewers have pointed out, this player does not support Amazon Prime Instant Video. I don't use the service so it wasn't a factor in my purchase decision, but I did find this LG response on their website to a customer:
"Amazon is not available on this player, nor on any of our Smart TV products this year. This was a determination made by Amazon. We have no indication of when or if this app will be allowed for our products."
on June 3, 2012
Verified Purchase
Caveat: I've only had this for a few days, so take this review with some salt. I'll update my experiences as time progresses.

I picked this unit up at a local computer store. It cost a bit more, but being able to take it back instantly if it didn't work was worth it to me. Out of all the units they had on the floor, this one had the least terrible rating. By that, I mean some of the other units they had on the floor had abysmal user ratings here and otherwise.

This player does not have wireless built in. I'm not sure if it's an option, so take that as you like. I have gigabit wire run through the house, so it's no issue for me. This device plugged in and recognized the network instantly. I did some basic setup (language, etc.) and a firmware update, and it was ready to go.

I tried streaming video off of a Zyxel NAS unit with media server running. No issues, it saw, synced, and played with no trouble. I tried a new blu-ray disc, as in newly released, and it played with no issues.

I have not had time to try DVD or any other streaming applications, so I can't report on that. But, so far, this unit seems to be performing as stated. The only thing I think they could have done better is get rid of the stupid composite video cables and include a HDMI cable. There's no reason not to anymore - the things are cheap.

Edit: A few days later.

I bought this primarily for the streaming capabilities. It's pretty obvious that this isn't going to replace a dedicated XBMC box anytime soon. It's pretty limited in what it can play. So far, I've noticed that while DivX 4 works just fine, 5 (5.0.5) and above doesn't work. Since that's going on close to 10 years old, it's kind of surprising and annoying. XviD is similar, certain variants don't work. MKV seems to work, but audio is another problem. Vorbis? No go. AC-3 and MP3 are fine... It's hit and miss.

The Apps section of the player is pretty worthless. Unless you're interested in what's essentially lo-rent cruft, don't bother. The most interesting thing I found there was a France24 stream - and it won't work on this device!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 13, 2012
I purchased the BP220 a few days ago and so far it looks good to me.

While of course you can mix brands the remote works out of box with my LG television (not a big deal to program a remote but still nice) and the price was good. I checked out several Blu-Ray players and maybe other folks have better eyesight than I do but I just couldn't see the difference between this unit for $70 and much more expensive units and since I don't really care about other options (other than just putting in a movie and watching it) it works fine for me.

One thing I would note is this unit is not wireless, which isn't a big deal for me since I prefer to hard-wire internet access but it is something to note if you need wireless in the location where you will set it up as you need internet access to update firmware and of course use the online features if you want them.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 13, 2012
Verified Purchase
When playing the blu-ray version of "Avatar", a long message is displayed, the gist of which is that it doesn't have enough storage to play the movie properly and needs an external device with 2 megabytes of free space. It provides the option to continue or cancel the movie, but who wants to "continue" a long movie knowing it could freeze at any time? Inserting a thumb drive into the USB port and restarting the movie remedies the problem.

As a computer guy, it is disturbing to learn a blu-ray player cannot properly handle blu-ray movies. This is doubly ridiculous considering that storage is dirt cheap these days. Why in the world would LG try to get by with less than what is required? If not for this short-sightedness , the device would be 5 stars. Wake up, LG!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2013
I got this during the Christmas Sales bonanzas for $60, and I couldn't turn down that smokin' deal.

I got this for my parents for Christmas. My Mom complained about getting blurays when I use to purchase movies, because she said they wouldn't be able to watch them when I took my playstation to college with me. Fast forward 2 years later, and I finally got them their own bluray player for such a good price.

Was a tiny bit skeptical, based on the low price, but seeing as it was LG, I thought it would be fine, and I am not disappointed.

The bluray is a no-thrills system, but works and has ethernet support, which I doubt will ever see any use at my parent's house. The player is pretty thin, but I'd say on par with the size of standard DVD player and is all black. Its got a small LCD display on the right hand side, which primarily keeps track on the bluray's watched time. It has the standard physical buttons (play, open, stop, etc.), that look a little cheap on this thing, but work just fine. Tray opens/closes just fine. No complaints about the hardware.

When you start it up without a bluray, its got a decent looking menu, of which I have yet to explore. Probably no need for my parents to ever explore that anyway. If you throw in a bluray, it starts right away and just plays. Picture looks great, and the sound is good too. No complaints. Its also worthy to mention (on my tv atleast), if you have an LG TV that this is plugged into, the smartlink system will change the input on the tv automatically after the bluray player has been on for a minute.

The remote is a small, kind of cheap thing, but it works just fine. No complaints.

Just a warning, and probably not a surprise, but I don't know if Amazon states this in the description and it certainly doesn't say it on the box, it comes with AV cables, not HDMI. Wasn't a surprise to me, but just a warning. If you buy from amazon, just pick up a cheap amazon basics one or a mediabridge cable for under $10.

Great bluray player, would recommend to those who don't need something crazy in the bluray player and just want to watch the movies.
on May 18, 2012
Verified Purchase
The picture quality is excellent!!..The controls and
settings are very easy to use..I have no problems retreiving the apps and Netflix
works great as well..
I also like the menu and that you can change the background pictures!!
The only tiny complaint is the remote feels a little cheap,but it gets the job done!!
Overall this is a great player,with easy to use controls and awesome picture quality!!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations