4.0 out of 5 stars Solid all around media player
I bought this to replace a WDTV Live HD, as I had problems using the WD with my streaming server. This player does everything it advertises, and does them as well or better than the WDTV, plus adds in a bluray player.

While not the best thing out there, it is a solid player, that does what's needed for a media player.

Pros:
-- Plays video from...
Published on June 27, 2012 by DualDJ1

3.0 out of 5 stars great value but not completely stable
We only use this player to watch DVD and Blu Ray movies. I use the HDMI out to the TV and digital coax to my old receiver for the 5.1 sound. It gets almost daily use. I've updated the software a couple times without trouble. The only problem is that it occasionally locks up and has to be unplugged to reset it. This has happened maybe five times in the three months we've...
Published 21 months ago by David J. Sorkin

‹ Previous | 14 5 613 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift given, January 7, 2013
This review is from: LG BP220 2D Blu-Ray Player with Smart TV (Black) (Electronics)
We gave this to our son-in-law. He reported that he loved it and also the qualilty of the movies was wonderful. He was very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars most LG products are good, January 3, 2013
great picture and quality. I bought it as a gift and they love it! I
would recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrrific Value, December 29, 2012
If you have an wired internet connection (and therefore don't need wifi), I think this is the best Blu-ray for the money by far. It has lots of high end features (e.g. SMART TV, internet apps) and more outputs than some (both HDMI and component). A major retailer has this for sale at $59 online or $58 in the store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, no FLV, December 22, 2012
I bought this from Wal-Mart for $58. It plays Blu-Ray discs well, (not surprisingly) and up-converts DVDs better than my old Toshiba.

One thing to note is that it does not support FLV video files, though the Amazon description says it does. There are free file converters on the web.

The interface is intuitive, and doesn't seem slow to me, but maybe I've led a sheltered life. The standard DirecTV remote can be programmed to control it, which is kind of nice. The button mapping between the DTV remote and the LG remote isn't exact, but it's not too hard to figure out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Give it time to load, then press PLAY, December 19, 2012
When I first got this, I was not giving it enough time to respond when I pressed a key on the remote. It seemed as if I would press a key and the unit would not respond, so I would press the key again. Well, pressing too many keys would cause the thing to lock up. The owner's manual says the only solution to that is to unplug it, wait at least five seconds, and plug it in again. I found myself unplugging it every other time I turned it on.
After a few months of this, I have discovered that when I put in a disc, then wait for it to load, if I press the PLAY key, it works every time. If I press the round OK key, it locks up most of the time.
So, I have learned that when I load a disc, I should wait for the symbol in the upper left of the tv screen to show, and only ever press the PLAY key. Most often it has figured things out after 5 or ten seconds. Give it time, and it will progress at its own pace.
Also, when being turned on, the machine responds differently if a disc is already inserted or not. When it's turned on empty and a disc is put in, the machine finds the menu and starts there. If the machine is turned on with a disc already in, play starts at the beginning of a series episode or the movie, so if that's not where you want to begin, the DISC MENU key has to be pressed. Along with all this, there are times when the machine won't know what to do when it is turned on, so if the disc is in, just press PLAY and wait for it to figure it out. You may have to press PLAY again before it finds its place, but be sure to wait - don't do that till half a minute has passed from the last key press. You have to give it time to figure things out.
So far, dvds and blu-rays play perfectly. When it is playing a disc, it plays the content wonderfully - sometimes the machine buzzes, but it's quiet.
We ran a 50-foot cable from the office into the living room to hook this up to our internet router, and it worked perfectly. The first thing it did was update its "firmware", then it was ready.
Navigation using the remote is tedious and slow. If there were a machine with a keyboard attachment, it would be so much better than this. But, you get what you pay for.
The online content that is free is severely limited, mostly YouTube (although there are thousands of choices on that). A paid subscription would open up more possibilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great inexpensive blu ray player, November 30, 2012
Just got done setting up and trying out the player. Setup was a breeze once I replaced the dead battery that arrived in the box. Don't have a blu ray disc to try out yet, so tried a bit of "Prometheus", and was very impressed by the upconverted image. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with this machine. I was disappointed that the owners manual is only on cd-rom, I don't know if thats standard now a days or not. I prefer a paper booklet owners manual myself.The other thing is when I inserted the cd rom owners manual in my computer nothing happened. I was able to see a list of 12 total files, but I was never able to view any owners manual period. I did send a help to lg and they replied with the owners manual in an attachement for me, which works. I was a bit confused about hooking the unit up to the internet. I thought, I hoped I guess, there were more than 1 hdmi jack in the back, and that if there was another it would go directly into my computer, but in reading the instrcutions you have to hook it up to a router/modem, I guess. I am not sure how badly I want to use the smart apps, will have to do some more researching it appears, but quite impressed so far...can't wait for a real blue ray movie to watch.

My only disappointments would be the hookup for the bd aspect,and the owners manual only being on cd, ,and it not working on several attempts when I inserted it in my computer,but not a big deal really. And the dead rather cheap looking battery that came with the remote. Delivery was exactly on target too, it came when it was supposed to, early actually.

Update, over the weekend I had my first experience with screen freeze and lockup while trying to watch "Total Recall." I went through 3 screen lockups/freezes before I gave up watching the last 30 minutes. I then went to LG's website to see what I could find out about this and it said it could be that the blu ray dvd is scratched. I looked at my copy and it did seem to be a bit dirty, and possibly scratched. I then cleaned the dvd, but did not feel like trying it again for a 4th time. I have watched quite a few movies so far, and a few were blu ray with NO lockups. This was the first time. If this continues to be an issue and the dvd's are not scratched and dirty and it continues it will be going back or sold as is and I will get a Panasonic blu ray player.

4.0 out of 5 stars good for the price, September 24, 2012
We wanted a DVD player for a reasonable price. This device is quite nice for the price and for us who do not look for the latest technology product. Menu quite easy. No noise while playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed...., August 24, 2012
small, compact, great image/sound quality, has a remote, and all this at an excellent price....what more can you ask?!?!?
Its set up was quick and easy, and I start enjoying it immediately

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Player for a Great Price, August 11, 2012
Stephanie (Kennewick, WA) - See all my reviews
I've had this LG Blu-ray player for about six months now and am pretty satisfied with my choice. When I first purchased this player it was primarily to upgrade from my dvd player and start viewing and purchasing hd quality blu-ray disks. I would say this unit it probably used 5 days out of the week. I have two small children so there are a lot of Disney movies that are played on this, both standard dvd and blu-ray. The graphics are amazing in blu-ray, not just on Disney films but all other videos I have rented or purchased. I recently started using the Streaming capabilities, most specifically Netflix and Hulu. I've never had any buffering or bad quality with any of my online viewing. I understand your internet connection determines your viewing experienced 99% of the time, but mine is always flawless. The only downfall of this machine is that the remote doesn't have codes (not that big of a deal), and sometimes it freezes from time to time and I'll have to unplug the device and restart it. This may be because I use it too much, who knows. Overall great quality and easy to navigate and operate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid., June 28, 2012
This product does exactly what it advertises it does. If you're looking for a model with wifi, then obviously don't buy this one. Some people seem to have missed that!

‹ Previous | 14 5 613 | Next ›