5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Machine
Published on October 24, 2009 by C. Swallow

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Service on LG's 1-yr Manufacturer's Warranty
I bought this dishwasher in June of 2009 and it worked beautifully until April 2010 when it started making a horrible noise and stopped working.

Published on April 20, 2010 by Ellen Hasenkamp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult Service on LG's 1-yr Manufacturer's Warranty, April 20, 2010
This review is from: LG LDS4821 24" Built-In Dishwasher with XL Tall Stainless Steel Tub, Semi-Integrated Electr, Stainless (Misc.)

I loved this dishwasher for 9 months. It was super quiet and did a great job on the dishes as long as the rinse aid reservoir was kept full. (Without rinse aid, it did not perform well.) And, it looks really good too!

At first when it broke, I wasn't too concerned because it was still covered under LG's manufacturer's warranty and I assumed the problem would be resolved. I contacted LG and filed the warranty claim. They referred me to a local service provider and I scheduled a service appt. The local service provider did not perform. They no-showed 3 times with no calls. And, I stayed home from work to be there to meet them during their 4 hour time window.

I complained to LG and at first they did nothing about it. They said that this service provider is the only company they work with in the entire metropolitan DC area, and LG's position's was that I had to make it work with them and it's not their issue since I made the appt with their service provider.

After a number of phone calls to escalate the issue w/ LG Customer Service, they were finally able to find me an alternate service provider who did actually show up at the scheduled time and repair the dishwasher.

Dealing with LG's Customer Service was challenging and frustrating. Even their online self-service search application for an authorized repair technician does not return accurate results. I discussed this with the repair technician who came and he even said that if he puts in his own zip code where his business is located, he doesn't even come up in the search results.

If you buy an LG product, I recommend going with the retailer's extended warranty plan and not relying solely on the manufacturer's warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious mechanical issues, December 12, 2012
This piece of junk was purchased at Home Depot in 2009 for around $575.

The first major problem is it barfs up an "HE" code meaning the heating cycle is not working. The underlying problem is LG put the relay for the heating coil on the main circuit board. The relay can't take the 500-1000 watts or whatever the load is and simply melts. They actually had a recall at one point because it burned down a few houses. They blamed it on "poor soldering". Not really, it's poor design that will never work in a million years. You simply can't run that much power through a small relay and expect it not to fail. The thing never really dried the dishes anyway so it's hard to tell when it's not working. The "fix" is to replace the main circuit board which is around $125, if I do it myself. Having someone fix it would exceed the cost of getting a new dishwasher.

The second problem is the soap dispenser just quit working. The lid will not stay shut. We just pour in the soap, slam the lid, swear, and let it run.

The third problem is it is now making a horrific noise, grinding, whining, like metallic angry chipmunks. I stuff a old towel at the base to reduce the noise. There is not delay start so this thing can make it's noise at night. However, since it can't be trusted because sometimes it barfs up an HE code right away and you have to restart it, so instead of taking 2 hours and 4 minutes to do the dishes, you are up to 2 hours and 40 minutes.

The fourth problem is the metal clips provided to hold the dishwasher in place are way too thin, looks like 14 gauge steel at best. There is simply too much space between where the clips attach and where you screw them into the counter top. Raising the dishwasher by adjusting the legs you can only go so far up. At any rate after a year or so of loading and unloading dishes the clips popped out while both dish racks were pulled out causing the dishwasher to fall out of the cabinet spilling all the dishes and rack on to the floor. There's no lip or anything where you can just drive a big screw into the counter top to secure it, just those dang clips unless I want to re-engineer something. Just looking at it, who thought that design made any sense? It doesn't, it was probably the cheapest solution they could find.

Fifth problem the clips holding the rack wheels are brittle and crack. Luckily I robbed clips from the other side that are used for the worthless "adjustable" shelf feature.

Oh yeah, the first night we got it, it peed all over the kitchen floor. Turns out a seal was not install properly at the factory, so rather than calling service, I simply fixed it myself.

This thing is really nothing more than an assembly of the cheapest Chinese parts they could find. Even the silverware holder has worn through. Manufactures can make stuff that's "not quite right", but most learn from their mistakes like common warranty issues, complaints, and service people feedback. Good manufacturers take this feedback and improve the product. LG obviously has not done this since they are selling the exact POS that we bought in 2009. Consumer Reports feedback rants on this dishwasher and for good reason. Now I'm stuck, not worth it to fix it, even if I do the work myself, and a new dishwasher is not in the budget. Is it just me or it unreasonable to expect an appliance to last 10 - 15 years? I suppose that's what you get when the parts are made in China and assembled in Korea, probably a contract manufacturer at that who just slaps the LG label on it. I can't prove that but how can it come to be something is so poor that a company like LG is not aware of the problems?

I have fantasies of taking a pick ax to this POS.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junky $700 dishwasher, June 2, 2010
This LG dishwasher has not worked properly since I bought it. A warranty repair was done in November of 2009 as the dishwasher did not drain. The dishwasher is not draining again. I have made several phone calls to LG attempting to get another warranty repair. LG staff has informed me that they cannot get anyone in my area to come and repair the dishwasher and asked that I provide the purchase receipt and they will exchange it for a new one. It is pretty stupid for Home Depot to sell LG dishwashers in Northern California with a one year warranty when they do not have repair companies to service them. Save your money do not by LG products, they are junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS DISHWASER, March 28, 2010
Hobbitboy (Corpus Christi, Texas, US) - See all my reviews
I have owned this washer about 9 months. NEVER CLEANED well. Left residue and food particles on dishes, and water stains despite using spot solution. Has been broken last month, with technician coming out 5 times, and STILL DOES NOT WORK. Have replaced control panel, and water pump and still does not work. Called LG, and they were not helpful saying they would sent technician out; only problem is they have already had 5 shots at fixing it, and it still does not work. Home depot also not helpful where I purchased it. Will never purchase another LG dishwasher.

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth the money, March 14, 2012
I purchased this dishwasher 14 mos. ago and it's now dead. No power, no lights. It's not our electric, it's the machine. I had repairman here 5 times for other issues before it kicked the bucket. It's quiet, it's attractive, but it's junk.

1.0 out of 5 stars Serious design flaws and quality issues, September 21, 2010
Jan (Redmond, WA) - See all my reviews
Stay away from this junk, it will cause you only pain and troubles.

- Very unusual water connection - need to spent additional $$ for installation
- Lower tray is derailing every time you pull it out
- Already on the second wash indicated "HE Error" - heater error requiring service
- Very noisy after 4 months of using

I think the company should be called LB rather than LG.

1.0 out of 5 stars total crap, January 7, 2010
We bought this dishwasher 6 months ago. It has never worked that great and has progressively gotten worse. It has gotten to the point that you can put a load of clean dishes in, wash them, and they will come out thoroughly coated with minute grainy particles. All if its parts are functioning. It isn't broken. Its just a piece of crap. It is also made in such a way that you cannot take it apart and manually clean the "self cleaning filter." This is just bad design at its worst. The worst phones we have ever purchased have been by LG as well. We will never buy this brand again. LG makes trendy overpriced garbage. Don't fall for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst major appliance I have ever owned, December 19, 2011
Clean times are on the order of hours. Doesn't dissolve soap so everything has a film on it. Anything but the most benign food particle remains stuck on the dishes. Spray jets constantly getting plugged up. The light that indicates a clean load of dishes only remains on for 10 minutes or so then turns itself off.

Overall complete waste of money. Stay away from this and I would now assume all LG appliances. They should just stick with consumer electronics.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good Looking, but function crippled,EXTREMELY stupid shelf design, October 15, 2009
Pros:
Stainless steel finish, beautiful, quiet. So it got two stars here.

Cons:
Could not wash very well, could see the detergent residues on pans after washing.
Layout structure(Shelf) is EXTREMELY stupid, only VERY low height dishes (3/4 inch) could be fited in, bowls could not be fited well on shelf, most stupid shelf design. It does not fit for family who uses bowls frequently at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Machine, October 24, 2009
We are a family of five with standard home kitchen use. We wanted a dishwasher that cleans well, is simple to use, and has a steel tub. We wanted the stainless tub to avoid the ugly stains that every other washer I have ever owned invetibably got. However, an added bonus outside of looks, is that with a steel tub you can easily side mount the dishwasher, which is a must if you own granite or stone counter tops. We installed the machine ourselves and have owned it for a little over a month:

1. Super quiet at 52dB and does not interfere with conversations, tv, radio, or anything while running.
2. Very easy to use and simple control set up
3. Stainless tub and used to side mount
4. Bottom has wide channels for the water and electrical hook ups, which made installation much easier.
5. Water connection is in the front for easy access, again making installation easy.
6. Cleans our stemware and coffe cups better than any machine I have ever owned. Absolutely no residue.
7. Pots and pans cleaned well with no pre-rinse or scrubbing on my part.
8. The bowl placement for the top rack is not as good as it appears in the pictures, but the bottom rack handles them very well. Top is good too, but you have to space them every third or second post.
9. The top rack is adjustable and has mounts for stem ware, and as wine drinkers, I have loved this function.
10. I have never owned an LG before, but based on my experience so far, I would buy again and recommend to anyone.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›