I bought this washer a few days ago. I absolutely LOVE it. It's quiet (except for some vibration and "jet engine" noises when the spin cycle is getting revved up, which is a common issue with ALL front loaders which spin 1200 RPM or faster) when washing and rinsing - I can literally hardly hear it at all, and it's right outside my bedroom door in the hallway...
Published 14 months ago by L. Singleton

Published 1 month ago by Gail N.

4.0 out of 5 stars I think Amazon reviewers are being a little hard on this washer, May 11, 2013
This review is from: LG WM3470 4.0 Cu. Ft. Ultra Large Capacity TurboWash with Steam Technology, Graphite Steel (Misc.)

I did a TON of research and settled on this washer as the best compromise of price (in my case on sale for $800), capacity, features, and "Brand Reliability." LG scores well with reliability, although there are some horror stories about some of their top-load washers (see the videos on the #1 ranked video web site - search "LG washer exploding".) Samsung and LG are about head-to-head in reliability and features, although in technology, Samsung might be a bit ahead - they have a washer now with an 8" touch screen which handles all functions and is wi-fi enabled. But it's also about $300-$500 more expensive than this LG WM3470HWA washer.

This is one of the top-rated models according to a well-known consumer testing agency. It also scores well on websites which sell a lot of appliances - you can search for the results yourself.

The washing experience is great. Tons of options when it comes to choosing what cycles to use for which clothes. The 4.0 cubic feet rating means it can wash a LOT of clothes in one load. It has the TurboWash feature which can get a load finished in about 25 minutes, if the soil level is not too bad and you are in a hurry. The 1200 RPM spin speed means many clothes come out virtually DRY. Polyester polo shirts? Practically dry. I washed a thin blanket and it went straight from the washer right onto my bed - just slightly damp.

You want to be cautious if you have this on a second-level-or-higher wooden floor, as the spin cycle can get noisy for people below. There are rubber "vibration reduction feet" you can buy on this website if you need them. On a lower-level concrete floor, you'll be fine.

One other common issue with this washer seems to be "water hammer" problems. With older plumbing, or higher water pressure than normal, this washer might cause your pipes to "bang" or make noises when it fires it's internal water jets during the wash cycle. This can be easily solved with $20 worth of "water hammer arrestors" which can be purchased at most hardware stores, and also here on Amazon. I bought myself a pair of them, since my apartment complex is "older" and I just wanted to make sure this problem did not bother either myself or the neighbors. So far, I have heard NO pipe sounds with the arrestors installed. The go on at the back of the washer, between the water hose and the washer. You can web search and find all this information.

I did buy a 5-yr extended warranty to cover myself in case of problems, but the warranty was very inexpensive. The motor is warrantied by LG for 10 years, the stainless steel tub for lifetime, and all else for 1 year.

I'm only giving this washer 4 stars because of the potential for water hammer noise and the fact that it might not be perfect for laundry rooms on the second floor or above which have wooden floors. As far as performance and how much I love it, 5 stars for sure !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smart electronics, September 12, 2013
One of the first things that impressed me was the load sensing feature. This is not your grandma's washer. The drum is direct drive, so it responds immediately to the electronic instructions it is given. You will see the load turn once clockwise, immediately reverse direction and turn counter-clockwise, and so on as it tests the weight of your load to help it determine how long to run and how much water to use.

This is very efficient- it is not like the old school laundrymat washers that fill with water. You will probably not see any water at all through the transparent door, but your clothes will get clean. I love the fact that you have so many choices. For example, if you want to use cold water your clothes will get just as clean as with warm or hot: the machine just runs it through more cycles.

I was very impressed when I pulled out my first load. I was prepared to heave out the heavy wet towels (as with my conventional top loader) only to discover they were practically dry!

Fairly quiet and smooth running. Just make sure you level the thing and take out the shipping bolts. Oh, and dry the seal with a towel after every use and leave the door open to let things dry out- I hear that front loaders are prone to mold growth if you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than My Old Duet in 2nd Floor Laundry Room! (5- stars), July 18, 2013
My Whirlpool Duet washing machine broke after 9+ years, and, after much research and price-checking, I decided to replace it with this LG model. I haven't regretted it! The LG is much quieter, and even the high spin cycle doesn't shake the house from its home on the second floor. Yes, it makes noise, and yes, there are some vibrations. Compared to my previous Duet, however, this one is a silent child. Even better, my clothes are usually less twisted when they come out.

I selected this one because it was third on a well-known consumer magazine's recommended list. It has electronic controls, including a steam cycle (not that important to me) and lots of permutations for spin speed, water temperature, and soiled levels. I use the TurboWash setting most of the time. The clothes come out clean. I especially like the clean cycle. My Duet used to get moldy/mildewed inside the tub so quickly that we always left the door ajar to let it dry between washes; LG recommends doing this as well. But I know letting it dry this way isn't perfect, so, if my washer gets smelly, I can just use that cycle to knock out the mold as soon as I detect it. (If things get bad, try Tide's front loader cleaner; it is caustic smelling, but it works.) The gaskets are also better on the LG than on the old Duet because there's less of a gap between tub and rubber. I briefly considered getting a HE top loader without an agitator, but when I saw the large capacity models, I questioned whether I was big enough to lean over and get an errant sock out of the bottom.

Some of the features of this model are amusing, such as the way it plays a tune when it's done (you can turn it off) and the ability to do diagnostics via cell phone (haven't tried it.) I also question whether I really need steamed/sanitized laundry when the detergent is supposed to do that.

Other features can be disconcerting at first. For instance, the tub rotates gently at first as the machine senses the size of the load and the amount of water needed to wash it. The first time, I panicked and thought the water wasn't hooked up properly. And the machine squirts water into the detergent cup at a fairly high pressure, making a strange sound, and it took me several seconds to figure out what that noise was.

I really love this machine. It takes a while to adapt from a top loader to a front loader, but if you've already used a front loader, you'll likely love this one as much as I do.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Great washer, July 6, 2013
I didn't want to spend this much on a washer but I did a lot if research and realized it was worth it. Great washer, super quiet, and produces great results all while saving energy and water

2.0 out of 5 stars Water Hammer is a major issue with this washer-we found a solution, June 30, 2014
Because LG did not properly engineer the water shutoff valve, it closes too quickly, creating a problem called water hammer. Water hammer is created by rapidly shutting down a water flow. This creates a major spike in water pressurein the supply pipes. Left untreated, it will result in leaks in the pipes affected. google on "WM3470 water hammer" and you will get over 400 hits. Reviews for devices which treat water hammer frequently mention this model specifically. The solution is to install a good quality water hammer arrestor. There is even an online video of this model with the water hammer arrestor installed. A good water hammer arrestor costs about $50. You will need two. LG service does nothing to help with this issue. We have a Bosch dishwasher which does not create water hammer. Our previous Amana washer also never produced water hammer. The source of the problem is LG design, not your plumbing system. So buyer beware. LG has known about this problem for a long time, since early 2012. But they did not change their design. Like the GM ignition problem, which cost a few cents to correct, they instead decided that profit, not proper performance, was paramount. In the case of GM, lives were lost. In the case of LG, water pipes are being destroyed. I am thinking of starting a class action lawsuit to force them to make a retroactive repair or to pay for the parts and installation of the water hammer arrestor. To deal with the water hammer, you will need to purchase either a Watts or an Amtrol Mini-trol water hammer arrestor. We chose the Watts LF150A, Water Hammer Arrestor, Lead Free and this coupling: Watts LF150HA, 3/4" Lead Free Thread for 1/2" Water Hammer Arrestor. This model has an air valve where the air pressure inside can be adjusted to match the water pressure in your lines. These diaphragm style models work much better than the el cheapo piston style ones at Home Depot which we tried only to return since they did nothing to arrest the water hammer problem.

All of that said, the washer is quiet once the water hammer arrestor is in place. It does an excellent job of cleaning clothes. If you take care to dry the rubber ring which seals the door, you will have no issues with mold or mildew. Hence, two stars instead of one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some really good things, some really bad, June 23, 2014
I have an older model LG washer that is about 3 years old now. When it works it washes great, clean clothes from some real dirty messes, super spinning - seem almost dry sometimes. My frustration is that this only happens about 1 in 5 or six loads. Most of the time the washer spins and vibrates itself up against the laundry closet doors, about an 8 inch "walk" across the floor. I was forced to remove it from the stand - the vibration on the stand was so bad you had to hold the washer to get it to finish the cycle. Unless you separate the wash by fabric type it will not finish the cycle- It errors out and stops. Specifically, I cannot wash sheets, blanket and matress pad in the same load, the blanket holds more water than the sheets and pad so it will not go into a full spin, it errors out (unbalanced load) and you have to remove the blanket, ring it out by hand and then restart the cycle. There is no "spin only cycle only additional rinses and spin. If you try to wash a blanket by itself it still errors and stops because it cannot balance itself.

Bottom line, this washer requires far to much babying and fussing to make it happy.

I would hope that LG would have corrected some of these basic functions before they added all the bells and whistles of these newer models

1.0 out of 5 stars Door opened during cycle and flooded our living space. LG knows that the door will open if it gets too full of water!, June 29, 2014
We purchased an LG Front loading washing machine that opened up during a wash cycle and LG is refusing to cover any of the damages to our home. This is particularly egregious because LG is aware that if their front loading machines over fill with water that the door will pop open. LG is knowingly selling front loading washers that will open if, for whatever reason, they get too full of water.

MODEL NAME: WM2650HRA SERIAL NUMBER: 306PNAJ6G432
PURCHASE DATE: 4/20/2014 Retail price $1,099.00

It worked perfectly until 5/10/2014 when during a sanitation wash cycle the front door opened and poured water out causing over $3000 (supported by estimates from licensed contractors) of damage to our living space by ruining wall to wall carpet and some of the sub floor.

On 5/10/14 LG service representative admitted that too much water would open the door.
On 5/19/14 Mr. Blake also stated that too much water would cause the door to open.
This proves that LG was well aware of this feature of their front loading washing machines.

5-20-2014 LG Call CNM140520553488 Representative Katie refused to provide smart diagnosis report from 5/10 incident and refused to provide her last name but transferred me to a supervisor.

5-20-2014 Adrian ID7008 seemed surprised that two people at LG had admitted the defect regarding the door opening.

On 6/16/2014 our claim was denied by LG

We have filed a formal complaint against LG with the North Carolina Dept of Justice Consumer protection dept. which has been assigned file number 1408167 LG replied with a frivolous reply claming there was nothing wrong with the washing machine.

Complaint case # 31032574 has now been filed with the Better Business Bureau. LG replied with a frivolous reply referring us back to
Mr. Blake.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but has Manufacturing Defects, May 9, 2013
The machine is beautiful and I love all the function. BUT...Be AWARE there are manufacturing issues with the water input. I have to put on ear buds when I run it. The machine is not manufactured to handle different water pressure. My water pressure is not high really but when the water comes in the machine it sounds like someone came in the house with a jack hammer.

Service man came out and said yeah it's a known issue but most people just live with it. You (as in me) can get a plumber in and add some kind of vavle on my water line might work which I will do before I go to the hassle of returning it. Have only had it a week so thank goodness can send it back.

If you need an extra part to be installed by a plumber to compensate for LG's manufaturing short comings I'd at least like it as an accessory to purchase and be told about it up front.

My old machine which I replaced because I wanted a bigger one was a high energy front loader Bosc and did not have this problem. Quiet as could be so I know it's not my water pressure. If you google LG washer banging you'll get a bunch of hits.
LG TurboWash Series WM3470HVA

1.0 out of 5 stars LG appliances, February 2, 2014
Along with an LG refrigerator which I have already discussed at the same time I also bought an LG washer and dryer. All the LG appliances were rated high so we felt they were a smart purchase. Not so. After 2 years the washing machine needed new bearings with a cost of $700.00 to repair. Now, there are only two of us, no children so we barely use the washing machine. For this machine to work only two years is clearly a manufactures defect. The LG engineers are designing these appliances not to last and they don’t. I called LG customer service and they could care less about my problem. They basically told me to take a walk. I will never buy anything from LG again.

3.0 out of 5 stars No interior light, black text on gray background hard to read in less than ideal conditions, December 26, 2013
There is no interior (drum) light. We have this washer is a small laundry room with clothes hung only a couple of feet from the front of the machine. This means it is hard to see if any there are any socks or small items stuck to the drum after hyper spin.

The text is black on gray which is hard to read if you are not looking at the machine straight on.

Both of these issues are probably not so bad if you have the machines up on pedestals so you are looking straight at the machine vs. looking down at it.

There is also a serious issue with water hammer with these machines. I've ordered a couple of arrestors but they haven't arrived yet.

Rate and Discover Movies