5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I've had this phone a few months, and have been very impressed, which is why I was appalled when I came here to write a review and saw all the others ranting about it. I chose this phone at first because of its sleek looks, sturdiness, and awesome keyboard. As I said, it is a very cool looking phone (for a basic slide-keyboard phone, at least).

Sturdiness -...
Published on February 9, 2012 by Nick

1.0 out of 5 stars Known Softoware Problems According to VZW Tech Support
Two HUGE software problems:

(1) There is an advertising program installed that sends you marketing texts. You have to take some time to manually change settings. The program cannot be removed!

Published 18 months ago by G. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 9, 2012
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)

Sturdiness - 9/10. Mine has suffered multiple hard falls - the worst had to be when I dropped it 6 feet (no joke) onto concrete. It got a little chip in it, but the screen nor camera lens didn't crack. Then, I accidentally threw it onto concrete at high velocity (this was a different occasion!). I couldn't even find another scratch on it, and again, nothing had cracked.

Keyboard - 9/10. The keyboard took a few days to get used to compared to my old LG Banter's, but soon I was texting even faster than on the latter. It has a very smooth feel about it, the buttons are not difficult at all to pinpoint and press down on. The keyboard slides out to the left, and the function keys are on the screen - I had to adjust to both of these from the Banter, but it's really not a big deal. Another plus is the button that is used for just a period or comma.

Software - 7/10. This seems to be the main problem you see in other reviews. I saw many a review saying that the phone freezes up while texting..? "Freezing up" suggests that you must take the battery out of the phone to restart it, as it will not respond at all. No, it does not do this, although it does need to catch up if you're texting very fast. I believe that this is a common problem with basic phones like this, since my old phone and my parents' Rumor 2's did and do the same, respectively. I have found that the problem is much worsened when the inbox has a massive amount of texts saved - just delete the texts that you're done with, and the whole texting interface should be quick.

One thing that I really love about this phone is the custom shortcuts on the home screen. You can set the left, up, and down arrows to whatever destination you want (camera, notepad, calendar, etc.), and the right arrow brings up a list of 4 custom destinations that you scroll through. It makes getting around the phone easier and quicker. I think that there are other basic phones that do this, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Oh, and the music application on the phone isn't bad, either. I crammed around 200 songs onto my tiny micro SD card, and listen on my phone quite often. The headphone jack is on top, which seems to be the most convenient location, as opposed to the side. I had a Pantech Crux with the jack on the side, and let me tell you, it was annoying. Anyways, I have to complain about the shuffle feature, because it shuffles the same songs every single time. This is solved by going to a random song instead of hitting "play all."

Ok, last thing about software, I promise. There is a document viewer, which would be alright in an emergency I guess, but you have to zoom in all the way to see anything on the screen. I put some word docs and PDF's on my micro SD to test it out, and it works great. There is a to-do list application, which I think is pretty handy - it's sort of like sticky notes.

Camera - 8/10. Other reviewers are really giving the camera a hard time. I don't understand why they expect results like you'd get from a real camera. Honestly, this phone has a really great camera compared to other basic phones. It seems to automatically adjust white balance, levels, sharpness, etc. after you take a picture, which results in a picture that looks pretty sharp. And I was surprised how nice they look on a computer, too - I'd have thought they would only look good on the tiny phone screen, but I saw that the resolution is 1260x960. Nice.

Calls - 8/10. Reception is very nice, I haven't dropped many calls. My parents always complain about reception with their Rumor 2's - I don't know if they're just saying that or if it's actually bad, but whenever they complain I always have 1 or 2 bars. The speakers are just ok, I don't think you can expect much of any basic phone's speakers though. Sometimes I like to plug my headphones in during a call - this works great. Your headphones don't even need a mic, because the phone's mic works even while headphones are plugged in. It's sort of like speaker phone, only the speakers are in your ears.

Battery Life - 9/10. Really, really great in this aspect. Although lately I have not been calling and texting as much, it is still impressive that I don't have to charge it for several days in a row (5+), especially since I have had it almost a year now. When I am highly active on it, it still lasts quite a while.

Bugs - Hmm, I can't think of many things that have gone wrong, and the ones that I can think of are very minor.
1. When I had 100+ calls saved and went to delete them all, the phone shut itself down. This was solved by going to the different categories of saved calls (outgoing, incoming, missed) and deleting all calls in each separate category.
2. 2 or 3 times that I can remember in the relatively long time I've had this phone, it would not charge when I plugged the cable in. I just replugged it in, though, and it was fine.

Sorry for being long winded - this is an excellent phone and I doubt you'll find a better basic. Other reviewers are being very critical, it seems to me.
*edited this whole post to make it more informative and concise, hopefully it helps!
**edited again to add battery life and 2 bugs

UPDATE
I am noticing more often that the phone will need to catch up to me when I'm texting, as other reviewers have stated. It's a little annoying, but I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with any basic phone. They aren't very powerful machines. I'm not trying to really promote this phone; it really isn't that big of a deal in the big picture, is what I'm saying.

Also, the battery is not lasting nearly as long as it used to. Oh well, the replacements are what, $5?

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tween phone - no data plan needed, October 13, 2011
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I was looking for something for my 12 year old son. He had always gotten the "hand me downs" as far as phones go and now I was ready for him to pick out a new one. He wanted something that was somewhat cool, querty keyboard and stylish. He got just that. All the new phones seem to need a data plan or had poor ratings. So far, so good. He has had it a month and loves it. No problems at all. I'd give it a 5 star rating for being a good solid practical (but plain) phone - no bells or whistles (like a touch screen).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for a texting phone - no data plan needed, January 4, 2012
EMTP EJ "EJ" (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
We got these so that it would be easier to text, but we did not want to buy a data plan. If you want a smart phone with all the fancy apps, you might want to consider a different phone. I also wanted to be able to use my phone for a music player, so I got a 16GB micro SD Sandisk 16GB MicroSDHC Memory Card, Class 4 to go with it and I am not sure if I will ever fill up the card. You can use a Bluetooth headset like Jabra STREET2 Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black to take phone calls and play music while your phone stays on your belt, purse, or gym bag. You can also use Bluetooth to connect to a computer (your results may vary).
The camera is pretty low resolution compared to what is out there. It also will receive any SMS text, like Twitter. The only kind of tricky thing is that if you want to get to the calendar function, you have to press "down" on the control ring around the "OK" button, instead of just pressing "OK" for the menu. I think they want you to use one of the other apps that you have to download instead. I figured this out because we previously had the LG 5400 phones that you can't event get anymore and they had calendar built-in.

This can be a phone worth considering if you are upgrading / refreshing your phones and don't want to pay extra for a data plan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Known Softoware Problems According to VZW Tech Support, October 6, 2012
Two HUGE software problems:

(2) This phone will not work with Verizon's backup assistant! It hangs when it runs and drains the battery within a few hours. After several hours with tech support they admitted it was a known issue and switched me to a different phone.

I'm amazed they continue to sell a phone here with known issues that they are willing to change phones because of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I've been wanting since my flip phone, August 26, 2012
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
I'm a teenager and even though I got a Pantech phone two years ago, long story short I have a tendency to lose things, so I was given my mother's old flip phone to deal with. It was extremely annoying since it was fat, bulky, didn't have a lot of memory space, and I had to relearn how to text with the number keypad.
This phone has DEFINITELY been worth the wait (I had a 2 year contract plan) since it not only has a keypad, but it can load music like my 1st phone, can actually load pics online (flip phone couldn't), and there's still the numbers in front if you just need to dial a number quickly. Not to mention, my old habit using a number keypad still kinda exists.
Just some things: Texts from social networks can appear warped. There's no distinguishing between sent and received texts. The charm thingy is kinda hard to get on, you have to remove the back.
Overall, though, I love it a lot and hope I don't lose it soon XD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Phone, January 25, 2012
David Thomas (Kissimmee, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Bought this phone about 4 months ago. Phone freezes when entering text. Nothing I have done to prevent this has worked ....very frustrating. I expected better from LG as I have always liked their basic phones in the past.

2.0 out of 5 stars Phone Won;t Send Picture Texts, July 8, 2012
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Up until the 3rd of July,2012, I'd have given this phone 4 stars. On July 3, the phone stopped sending picture texts. Verizon had me doing all sorts of mumbo-jumbo and then gave up and sent me a new phone. New phone sent exactly one picture text and now it doesn't send them any more. Both phones received pictures just fine. My wife's Samsung sends pictures from all the same places that I can't with this one, so it's nothing to do with location, holiday call volume, etc. Anyhow, getting ANOTHER replacement phone. No complaints in 10 months;plenty since July 3.

No troubles prior to this. I didn't expect an iPhone equivalent for $0 and no required data plan. I expected what I got. If I want to do flash photography, I have a real camera for that, but for a quick snap in natural light, the phone cam is fine. I like the zoom and crop features. The pics aren't my Canon, but the best basic cellphone pics you can get. The voice quality is good. Except in high-noise situations, there is no need to use speaker. Used speaker all the time on my old Pantech. Very good graphics, too.

UPDATE: Got phone #2 to send pictures after offloading from phone memory all the files that could be transferred to SD card, restoring factory defaults, and re-doing Verizon's "*228, option 1". Worked for my sister's texting problems with her LG Cosmos Touch.

Still, I accepted phone 3 yesterday because #2 had a general looseness in the keypad buttons. Both 2 and 3 are/were "Certified Reconditioned" 3 feels as tight as a new one and pix msg worked without a 2nd *228-ing.Raise my rating back to 4 stars. This is a very good basic phone

2.0 out of 5 stars Unimpressed, November 23, 2011
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This is the first phone that I have felt compelled to review. It is also the fist cell phone I have been unhappy with in the past 15 years. The buttons on the QWERTY keyboard are very difficult to use, the phone freezes when texting and you need to give it a minute to catch up, also, if you hit the speaker phone button prior to answering a call, the call will not connect. As in they can hear you, but all you can hear is a grating beeping sound. The camera is somewhat poor resolution and you cannot zoom. However, if you're looking for a phone to make calls only then it's serviceable, for texting it is horrible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow texting, bad quality, pitiful manufacture., June 14, 2012
E. Sainio (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
Some people really like this phone.

Those people have never had a decent phone.

When referring to text freezing, as other people have commented, the screen goes abominably slowly. I'm not fast, but having to wait 15-20 seconds to see it catch up is ridiculous. Likewise, you know the software could handle it (if they released a simple patch), since getting into a text screen where you only see the one incoming/outgoing text remains fast and easy. Apparently, it's hard for LG to apply that processing power or simplicity to its messaging menu as a whole. If it takes half a minute just to get to the sender to see what they wrote through the messaging screen, you've released a bad product.

Unfortunately, LG shows no signs of patching the software or working to alleviate the problem. Likewise, some people will use this for a music phone, which tends to have the exact same speed problem. Hey, congrats, you're stuck on the song you want to skip for another 10-15 seconds!

If you're like me, you chose this phone for the QWERTY keyboard. Its appeal stops there, however, since one of the major glitches with my phone is that it will randomly start spamming "1739 Volume Up" repeatedly AS I'M ON THE PHONE. It happens when I'm not on the phone as well, and seems to have no correlation with anything in the exterior environment, including the operator or the other person on the line. I'll tell you, it's annoying as heck when you're in the middle of an important conversation and it starts beeping like R2-D2's hacked your phone line.

All of this points to one thing: LG quickly rushed out a cheap phone to hook people on an annual plan with easy texting. Too bad that the cheapness ruins the texting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, June 11, 2012
This review is from: LG Cosmos 2 (Verizon Wireless) (Wireless Phone)
This Phone is great for texting and messaging. its keyboard is perfect for texting. I would reccomend this phone to people who text alot.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›