Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2014
I'm very impressed with the performance of this TV. As this was our first flatscreen of this size, I had gone into the search with quite a bit of apprehension. However, after a bit of researching and comparing picture quality of various models in various stores, we decided the LG was probably the brand that would give us the smoothest, most realistic picture, even with our older SD videos, while at the same time maintaining a good, dark black. I have not been disappointed.

After a few months of use, I've had a few small issues surface that probably should be mentioned:

The video ratio is not as smart as I would like. For regular composite video feeds and the like, you're given a number of choices like 4x3, 16x9, Cinema Widescreen, Zoom, and Program Preferred. I've found that for almost every single one, the picture seems somewhat distorted (usually stretched horizontally). The only setting that's worked without any such issues has been Program Preferred. However, in most cases (720 resolution and below), this sets the video size of the screen anywhere from 3/4 to 1/2 full with giant borders.

The Zoom ratio setting seems to be okay, just so long as the analog video you're dealing with is a perfect ratio with the monitor, and thus will reduce any clipping that would otherwise occur.

For digital video signals (HDMI from a laptop), the ratio list goes down to 3x4 or 16x9. And instead of zooming and clipping, it instead just outright stretches the video to fit. A bit annoying, but only is really a problem with videos that haven't been cropped correctly such as converted widescreen VHS that had the top and bottom borders.

The nice thing, though, is that the HDMI port installs itself as display and audio devices on the connected computer, so it will act like a second, full-resolution monitor and a secondary sound card for a nice bit of control.

Another small issue I've found is that the master black is only really ideal when the color is set to Auto Power Save (APS). All the others tend to inject just a bit more grey into the picture. However, in APS mode, the rest of the picture is also a bit dim.

Menus are not too hard to figure out. However, it seems like the Quick Menu doesn't have nearly a short enough timeout (if any at all). When changing ratio or color or a number of other items, this menu will remain open until you explicitly click down and Close. This is just a tad annoying, especially when other smaller menus (such as Input selection) pop up when used and close within 5 seconds.

Screen reflection, while still fairly high, is somewhat reduced, which I'm happy about. While it's not a nice, non-reflective matte finish, it does have a bit of a softening effect that blurs the windows and lamps in the room. However the shades do still need to be pulled before sunset.

The legs seem a bit flimsy when first unpacking. However, they offer two points of anchoring to the rear of the TV: one hook and one screw, and once fastened on it is quite sturdy.

One HDMI port is located on the rear of the TV (for more permanent connections), and the other is located on the side with the USB port which I've found is ideal for powering up and running the Chromecast.

There's also some sort of 1/8" TRS jack labelled "Service Port" on the side which I'd love to know more about.

What's a bit annoying about the side jacks is their accessibility from the front. They're positioned some four inches in from the edge of the screen, and with our setup (currently a 7-foot bookcase with a deep recess and a few inches to spare on either side), it is very hard to access the side HDMI port if you want to swap out the Chromecast with a standard HDMI patch cable for a laptop. In most cases, I have to physically grab the bottom edge of the TV and rotate the entire thing out, balancing it on the now-rear leg as I fumble around with whatever device or cable is intended to be connected there.

In fact, I just got the OK to start shopping for an HDMI switch box. However I'd rather this not be such an issue.

Speaking of connectors, there is one nice thing which is not mentioned in the Amazon listing (a feature I imagine is nowadays standard enough that it's never mentioned anyway). That is the F-type coax connector. While we have horrible TV reception in our area and pretty much forgot about it when everything went digital a few years ago, it's still been nice to be able to hook up the old gaming consoles or the 20yo bowtie antenna to watch our only channel: Fox Deportes (which I understand 0% of and could live without anyway). However, it was nice to see it included when one of my unanswered wishlist questions was "can I play my Atari on this? 32-inch Pacman would be so cool!"

In terms of inputs, a goofy and somewhat annoying "feature" is the TVs ability to detect a new connection. You hot plug the HDMI2 or USB device, a fun little window pops up informing you that "A new device has been detected on HDMI2. Would you like to enjoy this new input?" Enjoy? Seriously? No, I actually just connected the new device for no reason at all.

Second minor annoyance is the big red Off light on the bottom edge of the screen. When the screen is turned off, this red light, although not annoying at all, illuminates and at least in our house has caused more than its fair share of confusion and has made us wonder, "is this thing REALLY off? The light is on, so it must still be on."
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1010 comments|338 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 16, 2014
The first TV I received came with a broken screen. But, amazon within 48 hours had a new replacement; excellent! Now, regarding the TV, I read the reviews and how stunning the image and sound was suppose to be. Let me tell you, that is NOT an exaggeration. The picture image is amazing. As far as the sound, it is not like a surround system. But, for a TV this is as close as it can get especially when it is heard under "Cinema." I am super happy with this purchase and definitely would recommend to buy. If anything changes within the next year I will certainly update my review. For now, it is EXCELLENT!
2020 comments|179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2014
This TV is soooo good. I'm seeing details my 720p TV was hiding from me. The speakers just beat any speakers I have ever owned. The bass is loud and clear, movies have never been this intense, at least not on my former TVs. I am 101% satisfied, yes I said it. The setup was also extremely easy. I use it for both my Macbook Pro and my PS4 and switching between those two is really easy. For me, it's a no brainer, this TV rocks!! One of the best things I have ever bought. Buy it!!
2424 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2014
I am a college student and I was in need of 1080p goodness! I do not make a lot of money and I was going to wait until black friday to find me a steal but I could not wait any longer. This tv literally called out to me, I got the 39 - inch tv which is a really good size for a small/medium room, at a great value. All I needed was a screwdriver and 2 minutes of my time to place the mounts on the tv. I have to say that the tv itself looks really good, it goes well with whatever decor you have, its slick and silver and overall pricey looking. As soon as I turned it on the screen was a huge change from the gigantic sony tv I had. The screen was good from the start but after the adjustments and HDMI's being plugged in, it had a better superb quality than my friends Samsung 45 inch tv which he paid double the amount than I did for this tv. I was amazed! Everything is so crisp and clear and beautiful, provided that you are using an HDMI to get the full 1080p quality. The sound is so LOUD! I keep finding my self turning it down. NOTE: This tv does not have smart features, I did not need "smart" features because my ps3 provides bluray, netflix, much more. If you do not own a console it would be smart to buy a chromecast which has the same things as a smart feature but without spending hundreds more. Also I would suggest buying HDMI cables you can find really cheap ones here on amazon!

So I really recommend this tv if you want great quality, sound and presentation from a tv without spending more than you need to.
66 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 7, 2014
First off this is the 2014 version of the beloved 32LN5300 (that I also have). Out of the box you will notice a much thinner bezel all around, and a sleek stand. I am using this side by side with the 2013 model (32LN5200) and it look is a much cleaner look than it's older brother.

Important notes - You have to set the ATI scaling to 0 on the PC (at least for my system) and on the tv you have to set the input to PC! That last part was night and day, I had forgotten about this small fact and was tinkering with the EDID - Refresh (You name it) until I randomly compared the monitors side by side. Granted it was close but after labeling my input, text were nice and sharp.

If you're looking for a larger monitor then I definitely would recommend this.

Use - I am using this as a PC monitor and moderate to light gaming

Hooking it up:

Pretty standard - hdmi - to pc (I have a ATI 7870 which supports 6 monitors through Mini display port).
2828 comments|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2014
Purchased elsewhere after my former LG TV took a dive. I believe the capacitors have blown. It lasted me 8 years, with numerous military moves and it was time to go. I guess I could have fixed it, but....oh well. Anyway, this is a great set. I cannot believe how light and thin televisions have gotten over the years (I can lift this with one hand). And GOSH, the prices now are just insanely LOW.

There, of course, exists a a HUGE variety of brands to choose from, but I figured I'd stick with a brand that I know and trust will last me another 8 years (fingers crossed). I hooked my Mac via HDMI and was watching movies in no time. THE USB DOES NOT PLAY ANYTHING BUT MUSIC AND PICTURES. I REPEAT, THE USB DOES NOT PLAY MOVIES AT ALL.
33 comments|97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2014
I bought this because I had a budget and I needed a nice screen. If you're one who already has a source of media (chromecast or Mac mini for me) and has no interest in paying for anything other than a screen to watch it on, BUY THIS TV. No unsupported "smart tv" apps, no frustrating "smart features" which would automatically make it do things the company had chosen were fancy, none of that crap. I love this product.
on November 18, 2014
I bought this TV for my aunt as an early Christmas present. I hooked it up for her and the process was easy as pie. The TV did almost everything for me. My aunt has hearing problems. I discovered there is a feature on this TV where I can adjust the sound quality of the spoken word. It really helped my aunt understand dialogue. The features on this TV are well thought out and useful. The picture and audio are above average. Actually, the picture and sound exceed that which I have on my 41" TV at home. I am very satisfied with this TV. My aunt loves it. I can highly recommend this item to anyone looking to get a new TV.
66 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2014
Rarely write reviews, however this tv is worth writing about. Clear sound, perfect picture. Audio could be better but it's really good. Besides you can adjust the audio to how you want it which I did and now it's perfect. No complaints here. This tv is amazing and I'm glad I got it.
44 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2014
I would first like to say that this is a beautiful television! It was hard for me to make a final decision because I had to choose between two very good TV’s. For people who want to know which TV, you can find the TV here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0S72JQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00I0S72JQ&linkCode=as2&tag=compinfoand01-20&linkId=IOAFCHDMRKTHVQ7A

The first thing that attracted me to this television was the beautiful all-metal design. It definitely felt more substantial than my previous TV. I also like the placement of the stand legs on the edge of the screen. It definitely gives it a modern and tasteful look.

The picture quality on this television is definitely adequate. Any person that walks into you home will be blown away by its bright and vivid picture. Where the picture quality starts to take a downward turn is when you are watching a movie in a dark room. Granted, almost all LED televisions fall a little short in this category so I will not be too harsh.

If you are in the market for a new television, you will not regret buying this set. However, if you prefer perfect black levels and mostly watch movies, forget LED TV’s and get a Plasma. But I feel that the average consumer will be very happy with this television. So would I recommend this? Absolutely!
1111 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse